New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Favourite Character Tournament

I don't really dislike Celia that much, but Wizard Guy was hilarious

I thought Bozzok wasn't that memorable of a villain, so Sabine
    Last edited by kxm; 2013-02-25 at 12:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Celia
    vs.
    Wizard Guy

He enjoys being a partially digested skeleton; now that's looking on the bright side of life *cough* death *cough*!

Bozzok
    vs.
    Sabine

For the best lampshading of the Big Damn Heroes trope ever written. "How do the good guys keep doing that?" indeed.

3. - Top - End - #513

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    EDIT: Personally, I don't have a problem with the two battles per round thing. It might take a while to complete the whole tournament, but, frankly, what's the rush?
    Because it gets kinda boring, and it's more fun to watch with four match-ups.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Agreed that four match-ups per round is more interesting. Two is kind of a letdown, tbh.

Anyway, the first match-up is difficult for me. I actually liked Celia a fair amount before she joined Haley and Elan on their adventure, but she did get annoying after that. Wizard Guy was fantastic as a representative of how most PC parties treat NPCs, but he was only around for a few strips.

Alright. I'm taking Wizard Guy for the upset!

And Sabine easily beats Bozzok. I find Bozzok (and most of the characters of the Thieves' Guild arc) to be pretty forgettable.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wizard Guy without question. I like Celia but wizard guy was hilarious

Sabine. Closer becuase I don't like either of them very much but I prefer Sabine. I barely remember Bozzok
    Last edited by Pesimismrocks; 2013-02-25 at 01:34 PM.
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

6. - Top - End - #516
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh. I think I'll abstain this round. Two contests where the less important character is also the one I like better on average per appearance.

No, wait. Bozzok had some great moments, but I guess per-appearance he still isn't really a better character than Sabine.

Bundt, bundt, bundt ...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

Celia wins this one because I have a deep love for actually alien "aliens." A fairy who forgets that normal people can't zap lightning out of their fingers or sense wards by the tingling of their teeth? Sign me up! Plus she's a pretty nuanced character--I like her lawyer side, and reminding Haley that most people don't use "kill people" as their first-ditch response to any challenge.

Sabine, because Bozzok never really made an impression on me. Plus she gets some "actually alien 'alien'" moments as well, such as the quote given.

EDIT: and I'd also like to cast a vote for going back to four-per-round. It's just more fun!
    Last edited by Moriwen; 2013-02-25 at 01:42 PM.
    Avatar by the lovely Paisley. Isn't she awesome? :)

Read my writing on AO3.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

Celia. Despite her brain getting zapped by the Cattle Prod of Plot during the Greysky City storyline, she's generally a fun character whereas Wizard Guy didn't really make any impression on me.

Sabine. I'll vote against Bozzok just for his employing Zapp Brannigan tactics against Haley. You would think a high level thief could come up with something a little more clever.

And put me down for also preferring 4 match-ups per round.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Wizard Guy
    Bozzok
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

10. - Top - End - #520
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Wizard guy and Sabine.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

11. - Top - End - #521
    Halfling in the Playground

Both of these are quite tough for me, actually. I like both Celia and Wizard Guy for pretty much the same reason: they expose some of the idiosyncrasies of roleplaying. Wizard Guy is the archetypal nameless NPC, and even calls himself such. The players ignore him except when they need him and then they expect him to be present and servile and don't bother to find out his name (and wouldn't remember it if they did). He's the first to die to the unexpected danger. We've all seen these guys.

Celia, on the other hand, is the Frank Grimes of Order of the Stick. She's the outsider, the real person who sees the world for what it is. She reacts to the actions of adventurers as the acts of homicidal lunacy that they truly are. She doesn't follow the conventions, she sees them clearly and is horrified. It has to be Celia for this one.

The second one is easier, but not by all that much. Sabine is the way more important character but does she really have that much depth? She's basically just another lusty hot she-devil. Bozzok is much the same, though, a gangster boss and little else. I give it to Sabine for pure plot importance.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Celia, Sabine

13. - Top - End - #523
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bozzok and Wizard guy

Let's go with the silly ones.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Orc in the Playground

Put me down for Celia and Sabine, please.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Wizard Guy
    Sabine
    Wouldn't a better question be, "Why don't more tribes of orcs start spontaneously worshiping my hand puppet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    "Flip, flip, flip, flip the greasy burgers for our new green overlords!"

16. - Top - End - #526

Wizard Guy
    Bozzok
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

17. - Top - End - #527

Wizard Guy

Sabine

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Celia

Sabine

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

First one is pretty tough. None of them left a huge impression on me, and though Wizard Guy was probably greater for laughs, I'm gonna go with Celia as she has more plot relevance and for this to be a competition.

Second one is easy; Bozzok is one of the weaker villains in the comic. Which is a bit of a shame, really. A leader of a Thieves' Guild could have been so much cooler. Sabine it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

20. - Top - End - #530

GnomeWizardGuy

Celia

Sabine

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Celia Granted that wizard guy was hilarious, as sam79 stated, he was a one-joke character at the end of the day.

Bozzok Not that I particularly like either him or Sabine.

22. - Top - End - #532

Oof, that first match-up is hard. Wizard Guy is friggin' hilarious, and I'm a sucker for a sad sack, too. I appreciate Celia for actually pointing out what a psychopath Belkar was when Haley refused to challenge him. Plus, I remember Darkblood Gloomgloom fondly.

I really like Priceguy's analysis of how both characters provide commentary on roleplaying idiosyncrasies.

Finally, I'll go with Wizard Guy for making me laugh more.

Second up, it's Sabine all the way. For an evil incarnation of illicit sex, her recent "I love you...forever..." was shocking in its tenderness & poignancy. She really does love Nale, I think. The line hinted at future conflict, too, which I'm eager to see played out.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-02-25 at 09:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

Celia vs. Wizard Guy
    But just barely — in fact, if it hadn’t been for 538, I think Wizard Guy, despite his non-plot-relatedness, would have won this one.

Bozzok vs. Sabine
    Yeah, she’s a literal demon from the Abyss — but she’s a funny literal demon from the Abyss.
    “But he had not that supreme gift of the artist, the knowledge of when to stop.”

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder” in The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

24. - Top - End - #534

Wizard Guy vs. Celia

That character was hilarious, especially when used by Shojo as a puppet. Celia, for all the strips she's been in, averages out to be much duller per strip. Plus, I don't really care for her character type anyway.

Bozzok vs. Sabine

Sabine got lucky that Wizard Guy wasn't against her. Bozzok just isn't memorable enough to beat out Sabine, who is memorable, if still not a favorite character of mine.
    Administrator of the DnD gaming server, Sea of Dragons: Moonsea - a Persistent World set in the Forgotten Realms that uses the Neverwinter Nights 2 game.

See what the server has to offer without leaving these boards! Sea of Dragons on OOTS Forum

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm sorry, Wizard Guy. You had some of my favorite lines in the strip (including posthumous ones), but just aren't plot-important enough.

Celia
    Sabine

26. - Top - End - #536
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I wonder if it would be a good idea to make a losers bracket. There are a lot of possible high scorers going out in close battles in the first round.
    Of course if we only care about electing the single most popular character, then it doesn't matter, but it would almost be a shame to let all of this voting go to waste on just choosing the top 1 :)

It would also be a way to get 4 battles per round instead of 2, without blasting to the end too fast.

27. - Top - End - #537

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I'm sorry, Wizard Guy. You had some of my favorite lines in the strip (including posthumous ones), but just aren't plot-important enough.
    Quite a few people have made this point, but surely Wizard Guy's posthumous lines are actually to Shojo's credit, not his? At that point, he's just a comedy prop.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

28. - Top - End - #538

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Torrasque View Post
    I wonder if it would be a good idea to make a losers bracket. There are a lot of possible high scorers going out in close battles in the first round.
    Of course if we only care about electing the single most popular character, then it doesn't matter, but it would almost be a shame to let all of this voting go to waste on just choosing the top 1 :)

It would also be a way to get 4 battles per round instead of 2, without blasting to the end too fast.
    I'm going to spend the next 30-60 minutes picking out the first round losers, seeding them and organising a supplementary tournament, and I want you to know that this is all your fault.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

So long x_x

Wizard Guy is memorable, I don't dislike Celia, but he was so full of lines it'll take more than her to bring him down.

Sabine easily beats Bozzok in my book, no contest
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!

30. - Top - End - #540
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    I'm going to spend the next 30-60 minutes picking out the first round losers, seeding them and organising a supplementary tournament, and I want you to know that this is all your fault.
    You can consider your revenge to be all the extra F5 spamming i will be doing in anticipation of said tournament!