New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Favourite Character Tournament

Durkon Thundershield I'm not going to vote against him when he is in such a difficult life-threatening situation in the comic.
    Demon Roaches, because I would have betted with them if I was there.

Nale Here I'll vote against the self-deluded fool/tool against the blind short-lived girl. Barely.
    Old Blind Pete was fun, but against any of the other Xykon doubles he'd be going down^^
    Yokyok I liked Horace Greenhilt, but I loved the PB spoof and Belkar's ingenuity in beating him.
    Julia I am seriously impressed at the general distaste against Julia. For a spoiled popular girl, she actually has great lines, a fun biting sarcasm and a decent brain on her shoulders, despite her bringing more attention to the area below her neck.
    Also, can't help but laugh at the match-up: sexist guy against sexist girl. (yes, assuming that all guys will listen to her just because she's dressed up loosely is a form of sexism^^).

2. - Top - End - #572

Durkon. I like grukgruk but he's just too minor and one-note to compete with Brother Thundershield.

Demon-Roaches. They're just hilarious; I love their running commentary. The Grand Larcenist was pretty much a nobody, except for being the cause of one of Belkar's great scenes.

Nale. I'm not getting the love for Sangwaan, what did she ever do?

Old Blind Pete. Not a favourite of mine but better than just another Xykon triplet.

Yokyok. My favourite Linear Guild Kobold. Sure, it was a small role but I enjoyed it. It was fun to see someone non-Evil hang around with the Linear Guild (at least I interpreted him to be non-Evil). Horace Greenhilt is cool and all, but not someone I have fond memories of.

"Kaboom" Redaxe. There's some fun bickering and sibling rivalry between Julia and Roy, but Redaxe both has some good lines and is more than a one-dimensional villain. Roy reads him correctly and he admits it: he's not going to kill innocents.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Durkon Thundershield
    VS
    chief grukgruk
    I simply adore Rich's orcs, they are hilarious.

Grand Larcenist
    VS
    Demon-Roaches
    The roaches aren't really THAT funny for me, but they do outrank that guy :P

LC

Nale
    VS
    Sangwaan

Old Blind Pete
    VS
    Huecava

Horace Greenhilt
    VS
    Yokyok

"Kaboom" Redaxe
    VS
    Julia Greenhilt

4. - Top - End - #574
    Barbarian in the Playground

FCT

Durkon, Roaches

Main character over one-off any day... but it was hard- and the quote is one of my favorite OotS lines ever... "other half also orc" Farethewell, chief!

And while I think the Roaches rock, my opinion of the Larcenist is best summed up by Zoidberg- "You're bad and you should feel bad!"

LC

Nale - One of my favorite antagonists!
    Old Blind Pete - Old Dead Pete!
    Horace Greenhilt - Ploterrific vs... well, I actually liked Yokyok... a lot. Alas, Yokyok, we hardly knew ye...
    And, surprisingly,
    "Kaboom Redaxe" - "Whore attack!!!!"

5. - Top - End - #575
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

...weathercontrolweathercontrolweathercontrolweath ercontrolweathercontrolweathercontrolweathercontro lweather *FLASH* wait for it.... ***DURKON***

Gotta love the Roaches. I can't even remember their best puns, but just trusting there's more where they came from is enough for me.

LC

Nale, especially when he's in Wile E Coyote mode!

Old Brainy Pete

Horace Greenhilt, what a mensch

And, actually, Kaboom Redaxe -- I'm a sucker for the villain who's actually bluffing because he's just not willing to blow up an inn to get what he wants. Very well-written for a very minor character.
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Durkon Thundershield vs. Chief Grukgruk
    The orks are really great, but Durkon has this covered (against Shaman Vurkle, I would pick Vurkle)

Grand Larcenist vs. Demon Roaches
    no contest

Nale vs. Sangwaan
    kinda meah, but Sangwaan has a few really nice moments

Old Blind Pete vs. Huecuva
    no contest

Horace Greenhilt vs. Yokyok
    I'm not a great fan of the kobolds, and Horace is a decent man

"Kaboom" Redaxe vs. Julia Greenhilt
    Julia can go both ways ;)
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2013-05-17 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Edited to add singature

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Bugbear in the Playground

and
    Also sangwaan, Yokyok, Huevca and Julia
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

8. - Top - End - #578
    Firbolg in the Playground

Durkon
    Grand Larcenist - I'm not a huge demon roach fan, and this guy was at least a good example of the lovable-evil scoundrel rogue archetype.

Nale - mostly on plot relevance. Sangwaan doesn't stir a lot of emotion in me either direction.
    Old Blind Pete - to me, his treachery was unexpected, and went a long way towards cementing the idea that Graysky City is truly a corrupt and dangerous place.
    Yokyok - Horace is interesting, and would easily beat the other kobolds. Maybe even Yokyok, if Horace gets some more screen time (unlikely). But Horace also bothered me, seeming as closed-minded in his own way as Eugene. And Yokyok ... well, a Lawful Good character getting convinced to join the evil Linear Guild was just very interesting. Hardest contest this round, though.
    Julia Greenhilt - she's a brat, but then, "Kaboom" was a chauvinist. And at least Julia - and her relationship with Roy - have good potential to grow.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2013-02-27 at 01:56 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Durkon, Demon-Roaches, Nale, Pete, Horace and Julia.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Firbolg in the Playground

Durkon, the demon roaches, Nale, the Huecava, Horace Greenhilt, and Kaboom Redaxe

11. - Top - End - #581

ClericGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    6: Durkon Thundershield - 32 - 91.43%
    VS
    chief grukgruk - 3 - 8.57%

Grand Larcenist - 8 - 22.86%
    VS
    19: Demon-Roaches - 27 - 77.14%

1: Nale - 25 - 71.43%
    VS
    Sangwaan - 10 - 28.57%

Old Blind Pete - 23 - 71.88%
    VS
    Huecuva - 9 - 28.13%

Horace Greenhilt - 21 - 60.00%
    VS
    Yokyok - 14 - 40.00%

"Kaboom" Redaxe - 17 - 48.57%
    VS
    Julia Greenhilt - 18 - 51.43%

Be sure to get your votes in quick guys, because it seems like Rich is starting the 'strip-a-day thing' and I'm going to try and keep up. But if the votes start falling with the increased posting rate, then we might go to one poll every two strips or something.

FCT

Spoiler
    Show
    Kazumi Kato (20) d. 7: Nale (11)
    Chief (24) d. Hilgya Firehelm (7)
    Flumphs (19) d. Shadowdancer (12)
    18: Tarquin (26) d. Eugene Greenhilt (4)

Kazumi Kato: "That's ridiculous, anyway."
    Daigo Da-: "What, that holding off the enemy while someone else escapes is an automatic death sentence?"
    Kazumi Kato: "No, that we don't have names. I have a name. *beheads hobgoblin warrior* My name is Kazumi Kato!"

Kazumi Kato
    VS
    Chief
    "I think the secret message is, 'I need to toughen my hiring standards.' Now let's move out!"

Nale: "They are a hateful, bloodthirsty and poorly-conceived lot of vile fiends!"
    Flumph 1: *sniff*
    Flumph 2: "There there, try not to take it personally."

Flumphs
    VS
    18: Tarquin
    Tarquin: "But you have to admit, that 'Nope!' gag was hilarious."
    Malack: "You always have been willing to go the extra mile for a punchline. Remember the Rajah?"
    Tarquin: "HA! And you said there was no way I'd hold that much creamed spinach in my mouth for the whole coronation!"

LC

Hilgya Firehelm: "Gosh, you know, my dwarven stonecunning is telling me that this surface is unstable."
    Durkon Thundershield: "Really? I'm na gettin' no feelin'-"
    Hilgya Firehelm: "Oh, no, definitely. We should probably hold hands or something, in case the floor gives way. Can't be too careful."

6: Hilgya Firehelm
    VS
    Pompey
    "Crush the police, my evil insect minions! Kill them! *sees Roy behind him*... You know, technically, I'm just an innocent victim here."

Kobold Oracle: "Well, looks like I better start getting that Expert level back. XP don't earn itself, my mama always said. Who may have been a bit portly as a result of a glandular condition, but at least she didn't whore up the entire Afterlife when she died."
    Roy Greenhilt: "Hey, my mother- ... YOU CAN HEAR ME??"
    Kobold Oracle: "Yes, so you don't have to yell. Geez."

Kobold Oracle
    VS
    Rookie Cop
    "Gosh willikers, Chief, this makes 15 massacres like this in the last five weeks!"

Greysky Priest: "-Crap, that was a cutaway panel, wasn't it? I bet that was a cutaway to them talking about how they found me!"
    Haley Starshine: "It does seem likely, given the set-up dialogue. Someone hand me my bow."
    Gresyky Priest: "I don't want to die, I've only been in one strip so far!"

Greysky Priest
    VS
    Hieronymus Grubwiggler
    Hieronymus Grubwiggler: "I promise, no undead. Vile, loathsome things, I would never create or use them."
    Celia: "... Ok, then. Just... be careful with him."
    Hieronymus Grubwiggler: "Now just you wait there while Giro and I prepare 'Roy' to live again - Looks a bit sparse for a flesh golem..."
    Giro: "We do have some formula mixed for a bone golem, Master."
    Hieronymus Grubwiggler: "Bone golem it is, then."

"Kaboom" Redaxe: "Thar's no shadows! It's a friggin' stick figure comic, ye moron!"
    Shadowdancer: "Huh. You know, I've been a member of this prestige class for years, and I never actually noticed that before."

Shadowdancer
    VS
    7: Roy's Archon
    "Hey, I saw the size of that rift above Azure City, too. I figure, we all have to pitch in if the good guys are going to win this thing, don't we? I can't do much, but I can do this. An angry phone call from Heavenly Resources is a small price to help save the world."

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kazumi. The Chief was a cliche - a loving, well-executed, and funny cliche, but still.
    Tarquin.

Going to take a little time off before doing the Losers' Cup.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

FCT

Chief - Loved him, and glad he gets to be in an extra story.

Flumphs - Not a vote for the Flumphs, but a vote against Tarquin.

LC

Hilgya Firehelm - More a vote against Pompey.

Kobold Oracle - Oracle's alright.

Greysky Priest - I really, really loved this dude. For such a short timespan as he was in, he had a lot of character.

Roy's Archon - Meh. Didn't care much for Shadowdancer.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #584
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chief. This was a hard one, but the police chief just has way more funny lines than Kazumi.

Tarquin. Genre-savvy I-am-your-father evil genious dictator for the win! *pant pant*
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliezer Yudkowsky
    Why do you believe what you believe? What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?
    Alanna the Lioness avatar by Iron Penguin

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Chief. Because I can get into his constantly frustrated shoes at times.

Tarquin.Let's start with the fact that Flumphs are not even a character.

Hilgya. Both are rather forgettable, but Hilgya might show up yet.

Kobold Oracle. This dude rocks.

Greysky Priest. For his gentle treatment of Brainy Pete.

Shadowdancer. But I had to flip a coin here. I like both of them.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Colossus in the Playground

Such a pity. For a while there, it looked like Sangwaan was going to grind Nale's face into the dirt.

Anyway:
    Kazumi, Flumphs, Hilgya, Oracle, Cleric of Loki, Roy's Archon.

17. - Top - End - #587

Kazumi Kato. Mostly a gag character, but the gag was so goddamn fun.

Tarquin Based on how much panel time he's had since he showed up, I'm guessing Rich finds him to be one of the most fun characters to write. I don't blame him.

Hilgya Her evil crush on Durkon was sort of sweet.
    Kobold Oracle Snarky in the best way.
    Greysky Priest My favorite few-strip character.
    Roy's Archon
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-02-27 at 07:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588

Kazumi Kato VS Chief - Interesting, but Kazumi lopped off heads and Chief had his lopped off. Coincidence that they'd be paired together? I think not.

Flumphs VS Tarquin - The flumphs are yet another grouping of characters, so I have to vote against them on principle. Plus, Tarquin would get my vote just about any round.

Hilgya Firehelm VS Pompey -- This is a tough one for me, but I think I'll vote against Pompey because he was stupid enough to constantly ask Julia Greenhilt for a date. Who on <insert fictional world name here> would want to do such a thing? That spells loser the whole way.

Kobold Oracle VS Rookie Cop -- The kobold oracle has a personality that I think a lot of DMs would like to give to their NPCs. Nothing is so frustrating to players as a character who won't give a straight answer, always speaks in riddles, or twists meanings.

Greysky Priest VS Hieronymus Grubwiggler -- CoL should have made it through the first round. At least maybe he can make it through the first round of losers.

Shadowdancer VS Roy's Archon -- I'm not sure if Roy's Archon can be considered a character. It's just a glowing ball of light. Plus, the Shadowdancer is needed so he can eventually face off against "Kaboom" Redaxe.
    Administrator of the DnD gaming server, Sea of Dragons: Moonsea - a Persistent World set in the Forgotten Realms that uses the Neverwinter Nights 2 game.

See what the server has to offer without leaving these boards! Sea of Dragons on OOTS Forum

19. - Top - End - #589

Chief - I never warmed to the Katos much. Lord knows why.
    Tarquin - Come on now, be serious.
    Hilgya - Lesser of two "meh"s in this matchup, I guess.
    The Oracle - Man, I freakin' LOVE the Oracle. I can't believe he's in the Loser's Bracket. Who beat him in the first round?
    Greysky Priest/Cleric of Loki - "Brainy Pete"... heh. Good times.
    The Shadowdancer - Roy's Archon didn't even have facial expressions! How can you expect me to bond with it?
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2013-02-27 at 07:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

Poor Sangwaan. She deserved better.

FCT
    Chief
    Tarquin

LC
    Pompey
    The Oracle
    Greysky Priest/Cleric of Loki
    Roy's Archon

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Kazumi: With Daigo out one of the Katos has to move on. Also, the Chief was funny, but I didn't love him as much as others did.

Tarquin: Flumphs are funny enough that I almost voted for them, but Tarquin is much more of a character.

Hilgya: Didn't like either much, but Pompey was annoying
    Oracle: Easy win here
    Greysky Priest: Very memorable for a minor character
    Roy's Archon: Idk, neither did too much

22. - Top - End - #592

Kazumi Kato - The Chief is all right, but I prefer Kato.
    Tarquin - He is probably my second favourite villain in this comic, after Redcloak.
    Hilgya - She helped develop Durkon's character a bit, although I can't say I care much for either of the choices.
    The Oracle - This character, with his snarkiness and all, is fairly amusing.
    Greysky Priest - He is an interesting take on a non-adventuring cleric.
    The Shadowdancer - I'm not quite sure why, but I liked this guy.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Chief
    Flumphs
    Pompey
    Oracle
    Grubwiggler
    Roy's Archon
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Kazumi
    Tarquin
    Hilgya
    Kobold Oracle
    Hieronymus
    Shadowdancer
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595

EvilClericGuy

Kazumi over the Chief cuz the Chief is basically a one-joke character.

Tarquin over the Flumphs cuz the Flumphs are basically one-joke characters.

Hilgya over Pompey. Both were good members of the Linear Guild but Hilgya gave Durkon some character development, and now more than ever we gotta support that dwarf!

Oracle oer Rookie Cop cuz the Roopie Cup is basically a one-joke character.

Greysky Priest over Grubwiggler. Cole's one of the best one-shot guys there is.

Mmmmm I liked both Roy's Archon and the Shadowdancer about the same, but the penny I flipped says the Archon wins.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

After consideration on the Losers' Cup:

Hilgya
    Oracle
    Greysky Priest
    Roy's Archon

27. - Top - End - #597
    Orc in the Playground

Kazumi Kato - Tough one, but she has a more dynamic character.
    Tarquin - An interesting character against gag characters.

---------------

Pompey - Just because everyone has voted for Hilgya and I don't care either way.
    Rookie Cop - He deserves better than being shut-out (at the time of posting, The Oracle leads about a dozen to zero).
    Greysky Priest - A fun character. He and Belkar were quite the team while it lasted.
    Roy's Archon - So difficult, but he might just show up again later. And my quarter came up heads.

28. - Top - End - #598

AssassinGuy

Kazumi Kato

Tarquin

Hilgya Firehelm

Kobold Oracle

Greysky Priest

Roy's Archon

29. - Top - End - #599
    Dwarf in the Playground

FCT

- The Chief is one of those characters we will always remember despite his short spotlight, but he can't compete against Kazumi Kato
    - Tarquin is too big to lose against recurring gag characters, and it gave us a new side of evil at the strip

LC

- Tough choice as I like them both, so I think Hylgia won on the tiebreaker or something
    - The Oracle sweeps the floor in this one.
    - Grubwiggler was fine and all, but the Greysky Priest was not only better, but he still does have potential.
    - And the Shadowdancer gets my vote, Roy's Archon was good and all, but barely loses in my book.
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!

30. - Top - End - #600
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kazumi Kato is pretty darn awesome, and certainly beats the one-off Chief.

The Flumphs are OK, but Tarquin is amazingly awesome.

Losers' Cup:

Pompey was lame and annoying. Hilga was interesting, and I'm sorry she hasn't shown back up.

The Kobold Oracle is pretty cool.

I don't really like either; Greysky Priest annoys me less.

Roy's Archon all the way.
    Avatar by the lovely Paisley. Isn't she awesome? :)

Read my writing on AO3.