New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LI: FE

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Tell it like it is, Applejack!

Spoiler
    Show
    Applejack's face is the best in the second to last panel.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Ah, it's time for the latest round of 'Best Pony' arguments, is it?

Spoiler
    Show

I just got in trouble because I was supposed to be asleep ... 4 hours ago, and I just burst out laughing and woke up the house.

Still hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytabs View Post
    I propose assigning each pony to a number, then using this. That'll be the pony of the week.
    Sounds reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    the obvious problem being who gets number 1

i propose either alphabetical or in order of appearance.
    Dear God (or is it more appropriate to say Celestia/whoever here), you guys will argue about -anything-... I vote in order of appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    The RNG's are biased!
    .... how could that possibly be?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Number one is Steven Magnent. Alternitivly, Spike.
    Who the heck is Steven Magnent?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dang it, I'm gonna keep getting yelled at!
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-08-15 at 02:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Why can't it be determined either randomly or through an unbiased party? Most likely the former, though. Heck, couldn't you use dice and let luck decide?
    Clearly the only way is to just have best pony be all ponies all the time!

In other words ... Hey, #42, you're up!

Sweet!

*Starts rotating through disguises*

Clearly, Changeling is best ponies.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post

Sweet!

#42? Is that a name, or just a bizarre reference?

In other news, I'm sad that bit sized updates don't seem to be ago, at least for a while... I was hoping to see what the other fighters might be able to do.... I wonder if Rainbow Dash is gonna be able to fly in mid air for a while, ala Magneto/Storm... and who knows -what- Fluttershy's gonna be able to do in a fight, be she handle like Olimar or Pokemon Trainer, or fight herself...

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

In other news, I'm sad that bit sized updates don't seem to be ago, at least for a while... I was hoping to see what the other fighters might be able to do.... I wonder if Rainbow Dash is gonna be able to fly in mid air for a while, ala Magneto/Storm... and who knows -what- Fluttershy's gonna be able to do in a fight, be she handle like Olimar or Pokemon Trainer, or fight herself...
    #42 is what I call my Changeling OC ... mostly because #37 is taken and I can't think of another good number

As for the pegasi, I think I remember them saying that flight was going to be a part of their characters. And there's a gif of Fluttershy doing the most adorable little punch, so I would wager that she could fight herself, but will have her animal friends do most of the heavy hitting.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Dear God (or is it more appropriate to say Celestia/whoever here), you guys will argue about -anything-... I vote in order of appearance.
    the common parlance is "sweet celestia"

and you say that as if you're not one of us.
    Spoiler
    Show
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    This is totally not related to ponies but I wanted to share this video with everyone that popped up in my subscriptions. Please watch to the end.
    Didn't work for me. Maybe because the moment somebody starts quoting scary numbers at me over epic music I try to decipher their hidden agenda ASAP. Seen too many "documentaries" in my age. I know it's not the case here, but I still had to filter their numbers on input, and they don't really make a lot of sense.

Cancer is scary, but it's the most natural thing to die from. Infections, accidents, violence and hunger can be eliminated in principle, if not in practice. But nobody can live forever and the amount of people that die of cancer is an indicator of how good health care (and other parts of civilization) have become. People survive long enough that the law of entropy itself has to intervene!

Having more people be born than die is way more terrifying than the measly 2 bullets per person. People have longer shelf life than bullets anyway.

The quality of the video editing is great, but when it comes to these matters, I can't just turn off my brain and enjoy it.

To stay on topic, big mac:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #458
    Firbolg in the Playground

Giant sea serpent from the first episode, is very magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

"Red" is a lie. There is no such thing as "red". "Light in the wavelength 630-700 nm range, as interpreted by the majority of the human visual cortex" is a slightly more accurate representation, to which we commonly apply the label "red" (one of those commonly accepted lies that we call truth, which I was talking about earlier).
    Okay, here is where I feel forced to jump in and say this is a huge stretch. We have the word "red" to refer to "Light in the wavelength 630-700 nm range, as interpreted by the normal, healthy human visual cortex". The reason we call it the former and not the latter is because, in most situations, we know what we're talking about when we say "red". We don't need to specify, because that context is implied.

In other words, there is such a thing as red, it's shorthand for what I just specified.

Yes, the wavelength can be detected, but how it is interpreted by the observer is the lie. For example, dogs don't see 630-700 nm light waves as red, they see them as what humans call green. If one points to an object and calls it read, and another calls the same object green, who is telling the truth?
    They both are. Not because they are calling the object red or green, but because their statement means, "I see this object as this color." Again, we don't talk like that because it's clunky and awkward, but that is the implied meaning of the sentence. They have taken in the reflected wavelength of light, their brain has processed it, and they have spoken the output. The heart of their statement is an answer to the question "What color do you see this object as?", not "What color does everybody see this object as?"

Have a daggum pony:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [IMG]25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8s2mqMWLY1r7m6m6o1_500.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-08-15 at 04:07 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Colossus in the Playground

Today's ATG: Rainbow Dash makes best zebra.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-15 at 05:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if it's intentional or not (and I don't trust a straight answer out of the masked pony herself), but I really like the way her mane intersects with her wing in the background. Makes it look like the other wing may just be an immaterial, rainbow-colored swirl.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Don't know if it's intentional or not (and I don't trust a straight answer out of the masked pony herself), but I really like the way her mane intersects with her wing in the background. Makes it look like the other wing may just be an immaterial, rainbow-colored swirl.
    Thank you!

I feel like I levelled up or something.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    why doesnt it have a mouth?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

14. - Top - End - #464

why doesnt it have a mouth?
    I think it looks better without. If you want a comparison;

Spoiler
    Show

Though I totes admit that this is because I have conceptual disagreements with the idea of mouths and can be convinced to change it
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-15 at 04:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

with the mouth looks more "im awesome"
    without it makes me think "ima kill you"

edit: then it shouldnt be smiling
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-08-15 at 05:07 AM.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

16. - Top - End - #466

with the mouth looks more "im awesome"
    without it makes me think "ima kill you"
    "I'ma kill you" is the message I was trying to send.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I realize now I just like arguing. I can see both sides of the argument. They both have merit.

What's important is you do what you feel you should. Have fun!
    I hate arguing. It tends to go on and on and on and make me spend way too much time writing and trying to explain myself even though I thought my last post was so clear and obviously right that no one could possibly disagree. I'd much rather everyone just agree with me

Eh. No, not really. Friendship and love in a fairy tale world very specifically do not benefit bad guys.
    We were talking about stopping arrows, teleporting, healing wounds, flying ... these things do not require the magic of friendship. Chrysalis, NMM and Discord all have magic of their own (and wings too). If Twilight can teleport away, who is to say that her enemy can't just follow her? If Rainbow Dash can fly, who is to say that the enemy can't do the same?

That was what I was talking about. If the protagonists have magic, then enemies might have it too. And yes, ultimately if the good guys have the Elements there's no reason the enemies couldn't have something that might counter it, maybe the Elements of Disharmony or whatever fancy thing you can come up with.

The point I was making is, whatever the good guys might have or might do, you can come up with a way for the enemies to counter it.

I agree.

HOWEVER. I do enjoy stories which dot conform to these rules. Deadly's writing, specifically, has been very good, and not show-conforming.

Fillystata was a good story, but it was off from light-hearted pony canon. I think people who want to read a pony story are looking for pony canon, an that's why they ignore dark stuff. If you only read pony stuff for that, it makes sense. Doesn't matter how deliciously dark and grim this awesome steak is, when they ordered the fish. Y'know?
    I will add a little elaboration to my earlier argument: A setting is more than the official canonical works. A setting is a loosely restricted well of creative potential. In this case, the MLP setting is more than the show. There are some things you can't change, like you can't say Equestria is a land of cows because we know it's dominated by ponies, but a large part of the setting is free to interpret and explore however you like.

There are physical locations that have not been explored in the show. Like Manehattan or wherever Griffons come from. Exploring these in a piece of fanfiction does not make that fiction OOC.

There are characters who have never been explored in the show, beyond background appearances. Like Lyra and BonBon. Writing a fanfic about these characters does not make the fiction OOC. Nor does writing a fanfiction with an OC in the lead role make it OOC.

And there are aspects of living in Equestria that have not been explored in the show, like death ... or foal birth. We know both birth and death happens even though it hasn't been explored in the show, and exploring this in a piece of fanfiction does not make that fiction OOC.

It may be different, it may be another genre, it may not be to your tastes, but saying that it is OOC is frankly insulting to all the authors who try hard to write believable, in-character pony tales.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what this is, but I am interested in whatever led up to it.

I just got in trouble because I was supposed to be asleep ... 4 hours ago, and I just burst out laughing and woke up the house.

Still hilarious.
    #Hookers&Blackjack was best side channel for #ponythread.

I'm, hi! Hello. Welcome. This is the Internet. I hope you enjoy your stay!

.... how could that possibly be?
    Generally, computers cannot actually pick random numbers. There is a pattern behind them. Many basic dice rollers can e rigged I you know how; they function off of their clock.

You don't know who Stephen magnet is?!

You must be new to ponydom.

Ah. Yes, thank you Stephen. It's confirmed, you're new.

Sweet!

Darn right!

Quote Originally Posted by fizmat View Post
    Didn't work for me. Maybe because the moment somebody starts quoting scary numbers at me over epic music I try to decipher their hidden agenda ASAP. Seen too many "documentaries" in my age. I know it's not the case here, but I still had to filter their numbers on input, and they don't really make a lot of sense.

Cancer is scary, but it's the most natural thing to die from. Infections, accidents, violence and hunger can be eliminated in principle, if not in practice. But nobody can live forever and the amount of people that die of cancer is an indicator of how good health care (and other parts of civilization) have become. People survive long enough that the law of entropy itself has to intervene!

Having more people be born than die is way more terrifying than the measly 2 bullets per person. People have longer shelf life than bullets anyway.

The quality of the video editing is great, but when it comes to these matters, I can't just turn off my brain and enjoy it.

To stay on topic, big mac:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you. I often feel like a black sheep for these sorts of thoughts.

And seriously, two bullets a person? It takes three for most Americans because we're fat! You can't even get us with the hydrostatic shock induced brain rupturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I hate arguing.
    That is unfortunate.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-08-15 at 06:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

That is unfortunate. I subscribe to an antagonistic dialectic. I suppose we are limited to small talk for now then, as I have trouble not arguing. It takes physical effort.
    Oh, I find it hard not to argue, too. I hate it, but I can't stop doing it. I try, and sometimes I manage to tell myself not to post, to look away and let it move on un-commented-on. I probably hate it exactly because I can't help myself most of the time

Sorry. The context made I look specifically like you were addressing friendship macguffins. And point of quibble; if twilight teleported they could not just teleport after her; they would have to know where she went.
    Probably, or who knows, maybe it's possible to track teleportation? It's probably not a common skill, but I bet Twilight could do it so maybe some suitably powerful enemy could too.

*nod* but you've got that backwards. There are only elements because the bad guy already has phenomenal cosmic power. They aren't the winning edge, they are an equalizer. Sauron already had the one ring, an army, black magics, etc. and that's why Getting to mount doom was so important. The bad guys, by definition, start out advantaged. The good guys winning is because Good must triumph over Evil. Because Good is better. Narratively, Bleakbane. Narratively.
    Exactly, the point is that there's always something the bad guys can do to counter the good guys, even the Elements if you need to, until the end when they have to loose (unless you're writing the kind of story where the bad guys win)

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

You have a fundamentally different understanding of the situations than I.

The good guys are always trying to catch up to the bad guys. It's almost never the other way around.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

You have a fundamentally different understanding of the situations than I.

The good guys are always trying to catch up to the bad guys. It's almost never the other way around.
    Yes, and the bad guys have ways to prevent the good guys from catching up. It doesn't matter what is going on, who is trying to catch who or do what to who, there's always a way you can prevent one side from obtaining their goal, whatever the goal is and whichever side.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

"Why yes, I am a kidnapping connoisseur. I'm in a support group with Princesses Peach and Zelda. The Guild of Chains has my photo on the cover of it's monthly magazine. And all I get is a half-finished monologue which turns into a weaksauce admission of failure?

"Also I could pick these handcuffs in my sleep."

Well, they were really more for effect than anything. It's not like there's anything you could do if you did pick them anyway.

You know what? I don't have to prove myself to you. For a first kidnapping, I think this turned out rather well. Established a goal, minions followed through on it, no hilarious mishaps and no crusaders turning up half way through to complicate matters and even if it isn't up to your normal standards you did admit that you were inconvenienced and uncomfortable.
    Turns out I think I just wanted to shout at you for a while, but my heart just isn't in it anymore.

You know what? You can go. Your Mask is three levels down in an Isolation Unit. If you lack the ability to teleport or fly and breath in space, you might want to find the Ponies who are guarding the Black Crucible and see if they won't send you back where we found you.
    Two things; If you get cut, don't let the blood splash on the stones of the Darkspire fortress itself, it does get so very hungry and feel free to visit the giftshop on floor 7.

Mouth or no mouth;
    If nothing else, it feels more like Rainbow Dash with the mouth.

And I think Applejack might be onto something there.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Discord is Best Shipper. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    Which is your favorite?
    Luna with the juice box. I'm a fan of that classic image.

In Twi's defense, it doesn't seem like the library in Ponyville receives a lot of customers. This might allow Twi to get away with her... subpar organization of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Well, considering that they defeated Discord, who is their antithesis, it appears that the unstoppable force kicks the immovable object in the nuts and then dances on its head.
    Winning quote of the day right here.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tchernobog View Post
    That's definitely a pretty impressive list. I was simply looking at my referrals on fimfiction, which led me here, and wanted to say hello. But then I find his :O
    Quite a few really cool ponies ended up and even started here. We had DarthBobcat before a star bomb and bad vacation ruined his momentum and joi d'vivre.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Wait, I thought Charger got her CM by "finding peace"?
    Charger did find peace.
    She was in a magical glade where spirits offered her a choice. One said "I can make you a great warrior!", one said "I can make you a Great politician/wizard!" and the third said "I can make you a doctor and healer unparalleled!" and charger said "balls to that. I am all this and more. I am a hero. The question is not which do I choose, it is do you choose to support me?"

I don't know about you, but I find a certain sublime serenity to things proceeding in accord.*

Quote Originally Posted by Tchernobog View Post
    Tentacle tree, eh?
    ... Giggety?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Unrelated, if I literaly translate the my "american" name from its apperent root (french), I get "Lame". Great, realy. I have the one name that is worse for a equine than a human.
    Again, you folks look at it too literally. Michael means Like Unto God, but I don't have a pony named "as the sun".

Directly.

<_<
    >_>

You forgot Linnorms.
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Hello ponythread proper! Long time no see :D
    Where ya been ya bum?!

Pull up a chair, have some cider.

Hmm, well Quaver Rest's story is rather boring in that regard. She got it just by completing her musical exams.*

As expected, of course.
    Did you ever actually write that fic? Quaver would be a grand character to meet. Just... Hopefully in a more structured universe. Keeping the separate permutations of ponythread separate is a chore, and no pony is willing to use the labeled spoilers in such a fashion. Too many attempts to cross the streams.

The Changeling doesn't have a cutie mark, so I guess he's accounted for.
    B-B-but... But...

;~;

But I gave you a cutie mark. Am I so forgettable?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    *Skulldesk.*

I don't know what to believe anymore!
    The truth, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Personally, I prefer to think of the sisters having equal-yet-differing power. The "Luna is stronger and also more subtle" theory suggests that Luna is the better sister in all arenas, and that offends my sense of symmetry. I like thinking that while Luna possesses the raw power and willingness to use it, Celestia is the more subtle and manipulative sister.
    Well, of course. The problem is Dragon Ball Z.

Power means amount of energy that can be summoned up for a magical feat. And it is exceedingly difficult to display power in non destructive form. In fact, let that be my challenge to you all. Display power in a way that is not KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAA! And without establishing arbitrary difficulty ("oh wow, that's the hardest spell ever and she did five at once!"). Celestia is a healer, nurturer, a guide and morale lifter. Luna is mysterious, tempestuous, emotional, sensual and fey. One subtly guarantees all life and most chemical processes and basically 95% o EVERYTHING continues, the other accidentally made lightning bolts and cracked the ground when even Celestia landing only made a hearty thump. It's like fire and gravity. Sure, gravity is superior but for destruction you want fire.

If Celestia's Arbitrary Mana Reserve of standardized pony power units is 9,001 against Luna's 6,000 but Luna has a more damaging spell, a broader array of debuffs and several save-or-dies, she is the "more powerful" of the two. Even though Celestia has healing spells, regeneration, delay death, contingent revivify and resist elements. Luna can't "win" but is most powerful. Entirely academic, entirely based on a biased understanding of power.

Celestia has a bigger reserve and a much wiser, long term application. Luna has a slightly bigger bus and can generate considerably more change in the world acutely.

in terms of raw power I've always assumed celestia is the stronger one. the moon usually is the smaller/submissive entity in mythology, and irl it's light really is just a reflection.*
    NMM wins because she has a dark side power boost.
    Wha?
    In Japanese myth the moon is an angry murdery dude and the sun is the happy, smiling and relatively demure one.

And again, the moon is usually associated with the bad side of femininity, the side that makes low-brow males insist they are a separate species distantly related to pole cats. Witchcraft, sabotage, poison, and ambush. Skadi, Hel, Morrigan.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I was considering, since the RPing nearly derailed the thread earlier--

My Little Pony LI: The Buck Stops Here
    I like this one.
    Although this isn't the first time RP has gotten out of horn. And won't be the last, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    My Little Pony LI:FE
    Totes the winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Since the thread goes to an end, some images from the Queen of Love?

Spoiler
    Show

Oh ho ho! Some pony just found a character portrait.

Also, nice to see you Welf! I miss you. Your humor was nice.

Random adorable filly Chrysalis.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahaha! An this one even has the dingy blonde hair. Thanks blokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

Well, they were really more for effect than anything. It's not like there's anything you could do if you did pick them anyway.

You know what? I don't have to prove myself to you. For a first kidnapping, I think this turned out rather well. Established a goal, minions followed through on it, no hilarious mishaps and no crusaders turning up half way through to complicate matters and even if it isn't up to your normal standards you did admit that you were inconvenienced and uncomfortable.
    Turns out I think I just wanted to shout at you for a while, but my heart just isn't in it anymore.

You know what? You can go. Your Mask is three levels down in an Isolation Unit. If you lack the ability to teleport or fly and breath in space, you might want to find the Ponies who are guarding the Black Crucible and see if they won't send you back where we found you.
    Two things; If you get cut, don't let the blood splash on the stones of the Darkspire fortress itself, it does get so very hungry and feel free to visit the giftshop on floor 7.
    Ooh, gift shop!
    Get me a bubble wand or a coffe mug?

Mouth or no mouth;
    If nothing else, it feels more like Rainbow Dash with the mouth.
    Have to agree.

And I think Applejack might be onto something there.
    Fun idea. How does it pan out? What effect would it have? What are the ripples and far-reaching implications? Ponythread Extrapolator squad GO!

Also; I'd ask how Faithful Song is able to take pictures when she is in 99% of them, but the answer to that makes me want to ask why are you taking pictures I there's more than one of you? I could totally think of a better use of your time.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Spamalot in the Playground

I had a weird moment in a dream last night. I had gotten a copy of an illustrated novel that was about the teenaged CMC in a "Harry Potter-esque" setting. The illustrations of the ponies were humanoid, and the texture had the look of really skilled colored chalk.
    The jist of the novel's story is that since Scootaloo couldn't fly, she ended up letting herself go and gained a bit of weight. Sweetie Belle and AppleBloom tried to break Scoots from her downward spiral, but it took them all going on an adventure to defeat a changling that was infiltrating the school (I think it was called Hoofwarts or something) for Scootaloo to snap out of her funk.
    She then took up women's football and became a really good player.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    People would nominate, vote, we'd never figure it out since there'd be so many conflicting opinions.
    Speaking of nominations, weren't we nominating best moments, songs, etc. for Season 2 a few threads ago? What ever happened to that, I thought there was going to be a vote going on or such for top picks?

Spoiler
    Show

Trixie + Quoting Bender = Win.
    I should totally incorporate lines like that into my Trixie RP.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Frustration with responsibilities means you're not inventive.

Uh.
    I said I didn't really know why I was making this mental leap, it's more of a feeling. But I still have that feeling, like Celestia is just used to a lot of things and doesn't really need to try anything new anymore. Maybe, I guess? Dunno, this is one of those moments where I'm having trouble articulating the mental idea, but I stand by my position that Celestia comes across to me as less inventive than Luna.

She... does? When?
    I can think of two times when Celestia seems a bit tired of her job
    1. A Bird in the Hoof, when she plays little practical jokes and tries to get everypony else to act normally instead of treating her with so much reverence that they constantly freak out.
    2. End of the Best Night Ever, when she declares that the Grand Gallopin Gala is usually really boring and all the chaos made it the best night ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    This is totally not related to ponies but I wanted to share this video with everyone that popped up in my subscriptions. Please watch to the end.
    Hmm watched the video. It's got its ideals in the right place, though for some reason the whole birth rate exceeding death rate as it was presented made me worry a bit about overpopulation and scarcity, which detracted from what was supposed to be the uplifting part. Still awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's awesome, nice new avatar. Is there a story as to why Dash is a zebra now (or at least painted like one)?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I hate arguing.
    This is unfortunate, as I have great fun with it. I hope we're not making you feel bad by having what I consider to be an interesting discussion.

Anyway, there's been a lot of thoughts thrown around about the tone of the Pony setting and I have a few more I'd like to add.

I agree with you that you can do the bad guy arms race if you want. And if that makes sense for your story, then it's something that should happen. This is, in my opinion, a subset of the larger effect that the author is basically god of her own story. If the author has a good story to tell, she can do whatever is needed to tell that story.

The issue comes up more when a piece of writing isn't quite right, or when giving advice to new writers. There, it often behooves the author to try and adhere as closely as possible to as many of the rules of writing as possible. They're rules for a reason, and breaking them accidentally or for no good reason tends to make a story feel off.

In this case, the Equestria setting is a sincerely good setting. Everypony seems pretty happy in general and even with a world that has amazing monsters and a military and powerful offensive magic, everypony doesn't have to worry about those things on a daily basis. That strongly implies that the default to the setting is that the good guys win, that things work out in the end, and that when the heroes finally band together and stand united against the villain, they will win without being permanently scarred by the ordeal. I think great stories have been written (some by you, Deadly) that deviate from that model, but it's still true that when you deviate from the model of the happily ever after ending in a pony story you're likely to bother some readers and make the setting feel different.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

i actually though the whole discord thing was rather hope crushing. i mean, he's not dead. he'll probably get out again. and it's always him. the good guys have to keep getting new ponies to wield the elements.

if theres ever 1 instance where somepony like the mane 6 arent around, they're all doomed. and it's going to happen, because discord has forever.

we also can't be sure twi isnt an organized librarian. if she gets a lot of traffic (since TV and computers arent a thing she probably does), people inevitably put thing where they dont belong.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-08-15 at 07:14 AM.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

"Aw man, you put the Mask where nobody could see it? Man, it's going to disappear and go meld with somepony else. Now I'm stuck being Sundancer again."

Exit, muttering angrily.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That's awesome, nice new avatar. Is there a story as to why Dash is a zebra now (or at least painted like one)?
    The boring story is that today's ATG prompt was "Exotic Pony"

The awesome story is that she's teamed up with Daring Do to infiltrate a zebra cult!

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

i actually though the whole discord thing was rather hope crushing. i mean, he's not dead. he'll probably get out again. and it's always him. the good guys have to keep getting new ponies to wield the elements.

if theres ever 1 instance where somepony like the mane 6 arent around, they're all doomed. and it's going to happen, because discord has forever.
    And this is why you should always kill your enemies. Yes, even death is not a garentee (but if they can escape from being dead, imprisioning them ain't gonna work either anyway), but generally works as Best Prison for 99% of all things that exist, especially the ones that are particularly hard to kill or claim they are unkillable manifestation of sommat or other, as they tend to be far worse off when actually killed.

Were I Celestia/Luna/remotely present, I'd have taken Discord's statue, shattered into bits and dumped the fragments into a volcano. Or at the very least, dumped it into the deepest part of the sea or send it to the moon or space or something (lobbing it out into the void seems pretty well within abilities) and then no amount if discord is going to break him out if he's drifting petrified in the depths on interplanetary space with no sentient/sapient creatures within a couple of light-years or something.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-15 at 07:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

The boring story is that today's ATG prompt was "Exotic Pony"

The awesome story is that she's teamed up with Daring Do to infiltrate a zebra cult!
    Huh. Well, it makes me think of the depiction of Amaterasu in Okami.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-08-15 at 07:57 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)