New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Swarm Arrives [3.5 Base Class-Zerg, Tyranids]

I disagreed with pretty much everything in that post, and can't really reply to it without starting a tier argument. And they tend to get threads locked.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, my apologies then.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm looking at the embraced template, and if I'm reading this right then the person that has it then has the benefits of a swarmlord of her ECL, minus the manifesting, CHA to will saves, infestation/assimilation/embrace and Adaptions? Does this include the ability to make swarmlings, even if they choose not to have a level in swarmlord?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

You're reading it right, and yes they may.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I really like this class. A lot. In fact, I'm making a few changes to a campaign setting I was already done with just to fit this in.
    Anyway, I reccommend you add an evolution that can let your swarmling be a mount.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zzuxon View Post
    I really like this class. A lot. In fact, I'm making a few changes to a campaign setting I was already done with just to fit this in.
    Anyway, I reccommend you add an evolution that can let your swarmling be a mount.
    thanks.
    ...am I missing something?
    Buy an exotic saddle. Boost it to large. Get on the saddle. Done.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

For the Alternate Type: Humanoid evolution, would the Bonus HD evolution instead grant extra levels, or just RHD in humanoid? It's something I'm wondering about since I'm about to utilize that in a game I'm using this class in.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

Most of the time you gain levels in Warrior, every level divisible by three instead nets you a class level of whatever you want.

I might submit some other types though, I've been thinking about it.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, this thingy!
    I saw it a while back (a month or two? Not sure), and thought it was cool. Then I lost it. Subscribing!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurin View Post
    For the Alternate Type: Humanoid evolution, would the Bonus HD evolution instead grant extra levels, or just RHD in humanoid? It's something I'm wondering about since I'm about to utilize that in a game I'm using this class in.
    Levels, same as normal

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Oh, this thingy!
    I saw it a while back (a month or two? Not sure), and thought it was cool. Then I lost it. Subscribing!
    Heh, thanks.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

this is pretty awesome :D I like it...but I do have one question.

What if we just wanted to have swarmlings, infesteds, embraced, and others as just creatures, like in a dungeon or building. Could you come up with a system for individual CRs of swarmligns?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

CR is kinda broken anyway, so... not easily, no.
    I'd recommend just adding effective levels of swarmlord, until the swarmling is powerful enough to be a balanced challenge for the party.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

hmm ok :) because like I said, Ive always been a big fan of this class from the moment I saw it, Im glad the bugs have been fixed and stuff :D. Im actually thinking of having a swarmlord NPC that has taken over the castle, it is full of creep, infested beings, and swarmlings :) thanks for the class
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Cool!
    I hope you have fun!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

I just realized, looking at Swarm Beyond:

I think there've been more "looked into the abyss until it looked back - and the abyss blinked first" sort of uses of that phrase than the normal sort that stops at the first half.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

yea and after I do it I will let you know how it goes :D

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Problem is, they'd pretty much just be a soulknife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Problem is, the soulknife sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Fortunately, I, and half the homebrewers in the world, have made a fix for it already.
    Wizards of the Coast fixed the Soulknife on the very same book they released it!

It's called the Psychic Warrior.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Question regarding The Swarm Grows:

It says they share an evolution point pool but buy seperately. Does this mean that getting more Swarmlings means they'll all have to be weaker?

On another note, Resist. Wouldn't this fit into existing rules better if it was phrased as "DR X/-" (which is DR that blocks anything that doesn't just generally bypass all DR) and "{Energy} Resistance X" for every energy type (which would resist all energy)? Otherwise, it's completely unbypassable in any case I can think of. There's no effects that deal physical damage that say they bypass Energy Resistance, there's no effects that deal energy damage that say they bypass DR, and there's no effects that deal energy damage that say they bypass resistance to a different kind of energy. As written, for example, fire damage with Searing Spell wouldn't bypass Resist because Searing Spell doesn't bypass DR, Cold Resistance, Acid Resistance, Electricity Resistance, Sonic Resistance, or Force Resistance.

Also, it says "counts as Damage Resistance". AFAIK, DR actually stands for Damage Reduction. It's clear what is meant, but at the same time, it's technically a different term and you just KNOW someone would try to ruleslawyer even more immunity out of that. Or someone else would ruleslawyer that it does nothing because it's undefined.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, resist as it is is functionally identical to hardness. It might be more elegant to simply give hardness instead.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

It says they share an evolution point pool but buy seperately. Does this mean that getting more Swarmlings means they'll all have to be weaker?
    That's the main concept, but remember that swarmlings get a bonus pool equal to half of your swarmlord level multiplied by your CHA modifier. It can actually be more powerful to dump your entire main pool into making more swarmlings if you can get your charisma high enough to build them off of their bonus pools alone.

For Lix Lorn, this paragraph needs clarification. The contradictory parts are bolded. Does the swarmlord actually get its own bonus pool based on ability score, or is the bonus pool simply a third of its regular pool?

As a Swarmlord grows, she becomes closer to her swarm's ideal form. She gains bonus evolution points, just like those she gets for her swarmlings. She can spend these to increase her own abilities, exactly as if she were Swarmling. She may not choose evolutions that an Embraced could not take. She receives as many evolution points as one third of her total pool, rounded down. She does not gain bonus evolution points based on her ability scores.

21. - Top - End - #231

I think that's ment to mean they are used in the same way. Proposed correction.

As a Swarmlord grows, she becomes closer to her swarm's ideal form. She gains bonus evolution points, justthat can be used like those she gets for her swarmlings. She can spend these to increase her own abilities, exactly as if she were Swarmling[Tuatology with the last bit]. She may not choose evolutions that an Embraced could not take. She receives as many evolution points as one third of her total pool, rounded down. She does not gain bonus evolution points based on her ability scores.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurin View Post
    That's the main concept, but remember that swarmlings get a bonus pool equal to half of your swarmlord level multiplied by your CHA modifier. It can actually be more powerful to dump your entire main pool into making more swarmlings if you can get your charisma high enough to build them off of their bonus pools alone.
    Also intended. xD

On another note, Resist. Wouldn't this fit into existing rules better if it was phrased as "DR X/-" (which is DR that blocks anything that doesn't just generally bypass all DR) and "{Energy} Resistance X" for every energy type (which would resist all energy)? Otherwise, it's completely unbypassable in any case I can think of. There's no effects that deal physical damage that say they bypass Energy Resistance, there's no effects that deal energy damage that say they bypass DR, and there's no effects that deal energy damage that say they bypass resistance to a different kind of energy. As written, for example, fire damage with Searing Spell wouldn't bypass Resist because Searing Spell doesn't bypass DR, Cold Resistance, Acid Resistance, Electricity Resistance, Sonic Resistance, or Force Resistance.

Also, it says "counts as Damage Resistance". AFAIK, DR actually stands for Damage Reduction. It's clear what is meant, but at the same time, it's technically a different term and you just KNOW someone would try to ruleslawyer even more immunity out of that. Or someone else would ruleslawyer that it does nothing because it's undefined.
    My mistake on damage resistance, will edit that.
    I'll also clarify that it's penetrated by effects that penetrate either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurin
    For Lix Lorn, this paragraph needs clarification. The contradictory parts are bolded. Does the swarmlord actually get its own bonus pool based on ability score, or is the bonus pool simply a third of its regular pool?
    The bonus pool is just a third of the normal pool. Will clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    I think that's meant to mean they are used in the same way. Proposed correction.
    Will yoink. Thanks. xD

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

when you say swarmlord evolution do you mean adaption?

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Where did I say it?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

under the rapid evolution feat

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, it should. Thanks.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

well, i wanted to say this class is amazing. i will play it asap.

problam is, i cant find many psionic powers that feel.. right for this class. any chance there will be an ACF that gives lesser psionic power and something in return?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. That seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure what to replace it with.
    (I'd recommend telepathy powers, mostly)

29. - Top - End - #239

That's What I normally go for. Also think of the healing/biofeedback for swarmlords with distan't manifestation. Any stunning spells are also good [theres one in the SRD to induce helplessness] to assist in infestation.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

yeah I actually think that would make more sense because I dont think this should be a psionic class (other than the telepathy for controlling and communicating of course) but other than that I love this class

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies