New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Banned

Default Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Rant on bi-invisibility
    Spoiler
    Show

So, apparently I really weird people out when I talk about my past relationships. I got to chatting with a work friend about my girlfriend, and I dropped a comparison to my ex-boyfriend in and he did a complete double take. And this sort of thing has relatively frequently happened, as when I asked out a friend and he had a couple minutes of mental clicking when I sympathized on the difficulty of asking out women a couple weeks later. It seems like a lot of people tend to go "yeah, I kind of knew bi people existed, but I didn't think they were REAL..."

And my parents don't really seem to get it either, though they remain awesome supportive people. Then again, I'm not sure I get it with my "pendulum swings" and difficulty interacting with other people in a sexual way, so I can't really fault them.
    That's... Hm. I dunno, mate. Inertia maybe? People grow up with ideas that sexuality is base solely on action not feelings, so you're eventual explanation that that's not how orientation works could just sound like semantics? People would get uncomfortable having to wrap their heads around you being so weird and not normal and such.

I it makes you feel any better, I don't think you're weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    ...every member...

...every member...

...every member...

I'm going to need a bigger bed.
    Aha. You must be American.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    Oh....Lixie.....BLESS ME!!!!!!!
    Quite the sneeze there, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    *Hugs everybody*

Well, I can't really keep up with the thread any longer, and some things are making me uncomfortable recently (Things I highly doubt have any chance of changing), so I think I'm just going to withdraw from the thread and see you guys in other threads around Giantitp.

I might come back once or twice to give an update on how something like coming out is going, but otherwise, I won't be posting or reading this thread any longer.

Hope you guys all get the happiness you deserve.
    You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Grr. A lot of people seem happier with the idea of someone "switching" than with them being bi. Like "Oh, he used to be gay for a while but now he's married to a woman." or "Are you going back to being a lesbian now that you've broken up with [man]?"
    That is pretty odd. I suspect it has to do with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    That's what I thought.
    Yes, although attempts to ask for Divine Advice will get replies of a heavenly, lyrical voice shrugging and saying 'Man, hell if I know. Tell me if you work it out.'
    Pffff. That's an honest deity~!

The first I didn't mind too much. It's the second part, and especially the third that's my problem.

I also simply feel I have nothing to contribute any longer.
    ... Huh. That's backwards from what I would expect, but it makes sense.

I'm sorry it bugged people, but frankly, no-one else was talking, and it made me feel wanted after a distinctly *@#! week.
    oh, honey... *hugs and snuggles*
    Still need to get my IM programs working...

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    My parents are out right now, and my grandparents are visiting. I was helping myself to a heaping serving of mac n' cheese, and my grandma said,"You're a growing boy."

My response? "Not really anymore."

I feel clever!
    Oh wow I love doing that. xD
    It sucks when you do that, but no-one gets the significance.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

@Coidzor:

I don't know about the others, but I haven't. Sounds bad, though, whatever it was...

@Mystic: *Offers goodbye hugs, if you want them, or something else if not*

I'll miss you too; hopefully I'll at least see you around the forum.

@Lixie:

*hugs*

Sorry to hear you had a bad week, Lix. I hope things start to go better for you soon...

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Halfling in the Playground

I come here for this amusement! Don't take it from me!

I live through all you single people, this is better than my soaps!

*continues nibbling on block of cheese while wrapped in a snuggie and softly cooing*

*I don't actually watch any Soaps....except soap
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I wish there was a "like" button on this board. EvilAvocado, you've made my day :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Thank you to Grinner for the epic avatar!

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAvocado View Post

*continues nibbling on block of cheese while wrapped in a snuggie and softly cooing*

I don't watch soaps, well, except for news bulletins about dutch politics and a Game of Thrones... (and some minor series on comedy Central)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

YAY SOAP! Also, if memory serves wasn't Jody the first openly gay character on national tv? And he was one of the most sympathetic and awesome ones too. I wanted to punch she-who-betrayed-all-decency in the head during the custody hearing thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

YAY SOAP! Also, if memory serves wasn't Jody the first openly gay character on national tv? And he was one of the most sympathetic and awesome ones too. I wanted to punch she-who-betrayed-all-decency in the head during the custody hearing thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So, um... not to be a downer, but has anyone here heard about Kyra Kruz?

From what I've read of it, despite the tragedy of what happened, there's a silver lining of them actually treating it seriously. That, and it came to my attention through a source I would not have expected.
    Treated seriously by the media, or the police (or both)? I heard about it earlier today, but through a friend in the trans community rather than through any sort of media coverage. Though perhaps I haven't been properly paying attention.

I ask mainly because in the past there've been problems with the police taking hate crimes against transgender people seriously, as well as a lack of media coverage of such hate crimes.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Oh ****. Well, at least it's getting attention. And they didn't misgender her. ****.

Apparently there will be a candlelight vigil for her and there's a memory group on Facebook. Crap.

Edit: We should create a separate thread for flirting with Lixie. We can call it Lixie's Pleasure Parlor.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-09-14 at 02:10 AM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So, um... not to be a downer, but has anyone here heard about Kyra Kruz?

From what I've read of it, despite the tragedy of what happened, there's a silver lining of them actually treating it seriously. That, and it came to my attention through a source I would not have expected.
    Hadn't heard anything, but the two articles I just read both used the right pronouns. One was by LGBTQ Nation though, so that's expected. The other was philly.com and they did all the pronouns right, but they also mentioned her birth name.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    That's neat.
    Apparently he did a reading at my old school a week or two ago.
    Jude P.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

...I think I just had my first Internet Argument?
    Spoiler: Homophobic idiocy/bigotry
    Spoiler
    Show

I was bored playing WoW, too awake to sleep, waiting for a rare to appear (last two Dalaran books, if you play), and the server-wide chat turned to homosexuality. The typical bigot/troll, but I was bored and waiting for a 4-hour rarespawn, so I engaged him. One person who had been in the conversation at the start gave up after half an hour, a historian joined partway through but rapidly gave up.

Just before the end I think I was kind of looking like an idiot (awake far too long, stumbling over my words, new persons logging on unsure of who was arguing for what) until, after four (!!) hours I got him to actually answer my question: "why are modern gays morally reprehensible and deserve lawful restriction?" (which I must have repeated at LEAST 15 times while he kept giving me singular, contemporary accounts when I offhandedly asked for a source to back up that most cultures have a stigma on homosexuality. For the record, he considered a surface scan of the views of the Romans, Norse, Greeks, Celts (all four post-Christianization from what I could tell), Jewish Canaanites, and Aztecs, as a "cross-section" of the world's cultures).
    PS: Does someone have such a global-scale source? It'd be interesting, especially if it was broken down well.

As soon as he started listing off his reasons, the whole of chat seemed to jump on him: at least one person who had been quietly listening in to nearly the entire conversation, plus a couple others, and even the one person who seemed to be okay with him. Triumph! He finally logged off when he said that all gays want to be like 14-year old girls and that modern homosexuality is nothing but a rejection of masculinity; the whole of us simply started laughing at the whole thing, that it had gone four friggin' hours of what, for a brief glimmering moment, looked like it might have a conclusion worthy of the lengthy anticipation, only to end in the most hilariously naive, anticlimactic fashion. It was glorious, far better than I could have hoped for, because it failed to have the bitter, frustrating end that was expected.

Now, sleep, for I was to be in bed like 2-3 hours ago.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2012-09-14 at 05:48 AM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

Late hugs for Kender and hi to everyone new. I haven't been really keeping up with the thread / feeling like posting. Sorry to see you go Mystic Muse.

@lsfreak; glad the argument went well in the end and tons of people lended their support.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1034

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    *winces*

Not what he says, but that there are people out there calling him transphobic with little/no evidence. (If they had some, they'd have shared it with the guy who originally sent the letter.) If someone's going to sling accusations like that around, it should be their responsibility to prove it. Not the target's to prove their innocence.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Bugbear in the Playground

*Hugs everybody*

Well, I can't really keep up with the thread any longer, and some things are making me uncomfortable recently (Things I highly doubt have any chance of changing), so I think I'm just going to withdraw from the thread and see you guys in other threads around Giantitp.

I might come back once or twice to give an update on how something like coming out is going, but otherwise, I won't be posting or reading this thread any longer.

Hope you guys all get the happiness you deserve.
    :< *Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    No Surprise for Bisexual Men - Report Indicates They Exist

What is surprising, though, is that that's not from The Onion.
    ... :nocomment:

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    My parents are out right now, and my grandparents are visiting. I was helping myself to a heaping serving of mac n' cheese, and my grandma said,"You're a growing boy."

My response? "Not really anymore."

I feel clever!

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I think I'm going to agree with Mystic Muse here. A little flirting can be fun, especially when it's as witty as, say, Kneenibble tends towards. The level that's been happening over the past few pages is excessive, though, and she's not the only one that would prefer it be toned down a bit.
    I'm with Nope (again!). Sometimes the flirting gets too much for me but I barely even noticed this time because I've been skimming the last few days. It's a tricky one. I wouldn't take it all away because it's obviously a lot of fun for some people and makes people feel good, like Lixie said. Certainly the few times I've been flirted with it made me smile like an idiot for a while. But I also feel really bad when people say they feel like this thread is hard to break into or they feel they can't interrupt when they have some news or need some help. I wish we could have a sign up saying "Ignore the flirting and arguing, we'd love to hear from you!"

I'm sorry it bugged people, but frankly, no-one else was talking, and it made me feel wanted after a distinctly *@#! week.
    *cuddles* Sometimes I forget you have a real-world life and don't actually live in a beautiful mansion fully of purple cushions and red carpets being snuggled by a constant stream of admirers and friends. Which is how I imagine you.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Late hugs for Kender and hi to everyone new. I haven't been really keeping up with the thread / feeling like posting. Sorry to see you go Mystic Muse.
    Thank you. *hugs!*

I've been feeling less overwhelmed. I'm back in Ireland now, so kind of removed from the drama. Now my drama-related-job is just to look after my partner and stay in touch via email with his mother, which is more manageable!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ettin in the Playground

I shall make an effort to tone down the flirting if it is causing undue distress. Should I see a rather delectable play on words that would arise as a result of a conversation though....

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I shall make an effort to tone down the flirting if it is causing undue distress. Should I see a rather delectable play on words that would arise as a result of a conversation though....
    I see what you did there
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Bugbear in the Playground

...a beautiful mansion fully of purple cushions and red carpets being snuggled by a constant stream of admirers and friends.
    So how does one sign up to become a snuggler of Lixies carpet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

20. - Top - End - #1040

Still on the topic of bears, growing up is a pain. I just realised I need to shave another time per week more than I did before the summer. Also that different parts of my facial hair have decided to grow at different rates.
    (Also P-Chem, but that was optional.)
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    So how does one sign up to become a snuggler of Lixies carpet?
    In the words of one of my Heroes...."Ohhhhh Myyyyyy"
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    oh, honey... *hugs and snuggles*
    Still need to get my IM programs working...
    (hugs)

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    @Lixie:

*hugs*

Sorry to hear you had a bad week, Lix. I hope things start to go better for you soon...
    Thanks. (hugs both)

*cuddles* Sometimes I forget you have a real-world life and don't actually live in a beautiful mansion fully of purple cushions and red carpets being snuggled by a constant stream of admirers and friends. Which is how I imagine you.
    Ehe. I try my best to forget too.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    In the words of one of my Heroes...."Ohhhhh Myyyyyy"
    Isn't he EVERYONE's hero?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Halfling in the Playground

A Succubus promising to tone down her sexual wiles, that's a first...
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I wish there was a "like" button on this board. EvilAvocado, you've made my day :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Thank you to Grinner for the epic avatar!

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ettin in the Playground

George Takei has done a lot to gain respect for LGBTAers and raise awareness. He's a terrific guy.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Next thing you know they'll be telling us the sky is blue.
    ACTUALLY...

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Yes, but to most humans it still looks blue and that's what counts. (I'm bad at being a science major.)
    Though I do know a girl who sees more purple in blues than I do. Which spawned endless arguments.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Malaysia tells us how to recognize gays and lesbians.

Two things:

1) being attracted to other men is not the first symptom of gayness.

2) points two and three of determining lesbianity contradict each other.

*sigh*

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

28. - Top - End - #1048

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post

Two things:

*sigh*
    Not a word of that made any sense.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post

Two things:

*sigh*
    Thing that bugs me most about it is the word "symptoms." But yeah...
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

George Takei has done a lot to gain respect for LGBTAers and raise awareness. He's a terrific guy.
    He's like the awesome, quirky great uncle you wished you were actually born in time to meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide