New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Delmah Phor

[Streets]

Her arms usuable again even if still mending a bit, Ilpholin reaches with one finger to trace Din's chin.
    "I think I'll give you two choices. If you abandon your friends and family and life that you seemed so willing to throw away before, I'll give a new life. Captain of the guard by my side. You'll have power. Wealth. Other things..." Ilpholin says, moving suggestively while atop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97;13846028[b
    [South Gate][/b]

The drowess guard from the Black Dragon's Den has led Akoraun back to Delmah Phor and through the South Gate which connected to the broad Market Street, a definite landmark within the Enclave. "I assume you know your way home from here?"
    Uh, nope. My family, just moved here?
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

[Public Gardens]

"Many Houses keep their children sheltered within their homes until they feel they are ready to face the world. Only their family and a few others would know they even existed." Felyn'Wae explains. "But you were not raised in House Xar'Cha in Menzoberranzan?" The drowess frowns a bit, trying to piece it together.

[Streets]

"What is the other choice?" Din asks, sputtering out spider silk. Mostly it was a question out of curiosity. What Ilpholin had offered sounded pretty good, but he doubted she was being honest. Hope was the cruelest torture.

[South Gate]

"Of course they did." The guard sighs. "Well, I sure don't know where you live. What is your family name, child?" Maybe the boy belonged to someone important enough for her to remember.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Public Gardens]

If this girl had been raised in Menzo then the chances of her coming out as meek and quiet as she is are probably pretty slim.

Really.

What's the last time anyone has encountered a meek drow noble?

Like...

Ever?

Usually they're all complete jerks.

Sadei simply shakes her head no in response to the question.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

[House Aleth warehouse] -> [Streets]

After finishing the last little bit of paperwork, Asim stands and stretches. He was hungry, and his breakfast seemed like it was such a long time ago. Well, that’s what he got for opening gates to other planes of existence. Chuckling, he headed out, being sure to lock the door to the office behind him. As he did this, he felt the workers eyes on his back. Let them stare. After today’s performance, he doubted if any of them would have the courage to put a knife in his back. He left the warehouse with those cheerful thoughts still in his head. Deciding he would go someplace different today he headed north and then east making his way quickly through the streets. It was safer for males walk openly here but still. He wanted to avoid dirty looks.

After getting lost only once, he eventually found what he was looking for. The building that had caused quite the stir amongst his servants and the one he had (at the time) expressed nothing but disdain for. Shelob's Den. He spots the boncer and makes his way over to her. He bows in the way he was taught: Formally, but to one below his station.

“Good afternoon. May I go in?”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

[Public Gardens]

"Do you even live in Delmah Phor?" Felyn'wae asks next, her gaze scrutinizing the young half-drow. "Who are your parents?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Streets]

"What is the other choice?" Din asks, sputtering out spider silk. Mostly it was a question out of curiosity. What Ilpholin had offered sounded pretty good, but he doubted she was being honest. Hope was the cruelest torture.
    [Streets]

Ilpholin gives a big... wide... smile.
    Also doesn't say anything, but that's pretty evident.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

8. - Top - End - #68

Shelob's Den

The half-orc bouncer returns the bow, bending much deeper but never taking her eyes off of Asim. As she rises, she examines him. "You're on your own?" she asks, but that seems to be more of a querulous observation than actual question. "Go ahead. We ask that any weapons you carry be checked in at the front desk."
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

9. - Top - End - #69

[Public Gardens]

The girl shakes her head again. "No, I don't live here. I was just enjoying the gardens."

And they are pretty enjoyable!

She doesn't mention that she was singing. Since apparently singing in public is bad for some reason that she still can't understand.

"My father is Raril! He says that I'm very good at singing."

Sadei is quite proud of this face! She beams with pride just bringing it up.

"And K'rax-Naggath is my Mother. She's very big and beautiful and scary sometimes! But she's dreaming right now."

10. - Top - End - #70

[South Gate]

"Of course they did." The guard sighs. "Well, I sure don't know where you live. What is your family name, child?" Maybe the boy belonged to someone important enough for her to remember.
    South Gate

Akoraun fidgets. B'xarenef.

It's not a name of this city. It's the lead house of a large drow settlement in the Underdark. This child could easily be used for ransom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets]

"I think I ought to take the first option." Din says, not wanting to know what made Ilpholin smile so broadly.

[Public Gardens]

Felyn'wae was following Sadei's explanation up to where she mentions her mother. There, the drowess simply looks confused, especially the dreaming part. She takes it to mean the girl probably went out while her mother was sleeping. "Lord Raril's daughter, hm? I wonder, do you know your brother, Lord Sornnolu? I am certain he would be quite pleased to meet you."

[South Gate]

"Who?" The guard is clearly confused. "I've never heard that family name. Maybe someone at the records office knows..." At the very least, she could pawn the kid off onto someone else and get on with her life.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets]

"Good boy." Ilpholin says before going to kiss Din heavily for a bit, followed by climbing off him.

"Now get up. I'll initiate you properly later. For now, I have the temple to get to. And don't be stupid and try to run away or something or Tut will be very happy." You don't want Tut happy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

13. - Top - End - #73

[South Gate]

"Who?" The guard is clearly confused. "I've never heard that family name. Maybe someone at the records office knows..." At the very least, she could pawn the kid off onto someone else and get on with her life.
    Akoraun nods.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

14. - Top - End - #74

[Public Gardens]

Well... technically Sadei left whilst her mother was sleeping.

That's what Zee is, in fact, doing all the time provided that the Stars aren't Right. Though the implications of her being asleep are quite a bit different from that of your average humanoid.

Sadei shakes her head at the mention of her brother.

"I don't think so. Does he live here too?"

If so she should meet him!

The last time she met a sibling she was really nice! That friendly quarter dragon girl.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets]

Din blinks a bit, startled by the kiss. He then pulls himself to his feet and finishes pulling the spider silk off. "Yes, Mistress. You want me to come with you?"

[South Gate]

The guard frowns at the kid she was stuck with. "Well, you're a whole lot of help, aren't you? Come on." She gestures for him to follow her towards the center of the city and the Administrative Headquarters.

[Public Gardens]

"Of course!" Felyn'wae smiles broadly. "He lives in the palace. I can take you to him, if you'd like?" She offers.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets]

"Yes, I do." Better to keep an eye on him.

Ilpholin will turn and resume heading to the temple. Tut will wait for Din to follow before actually following itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #77

[South Gate]

The guard frowns at the kid she was stuck with. "Well, you're a whole lot of help, aren't you? Come on." She gestures for him to follow her towards the center of the city and the Administrative Headquarters.
    Akoraun will follow her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

[Xar'Cha Palace]

As night falls over Delmah Phor, guests begin to arrive at the front gates of the Palace of House Xabaresh Chaeron. Gilded carriages pulled by giant Underdark lizards clattered through the square. Servants in blue and gold livery attended to those disembarking, leading them down the faerie fire lit path to the Palace itself. Guards in gleaming armor stood in formation along the path. Out in the square, they marched for the entire enclave to see.

It was a night for celebration. Matron Danube Xar'Cha had arrived in the Nexus and was making her grand debut. The nobility in Delmah Phor were out in style, doing all they could to catch the Matron's eye and earn her favor. Prominent members of Inside society had been invited as well, to enjoy every splendor and hospitality that House Xar'Cha had to offer.

The common people of Delmah Phor reveled in the streets. The broad avenue of the Market Street was packed with stalls selling food and drink and colorful baubles. It was also packed with people, eating, drinking, and shopping. Music filled the air, provided by a band performing near the café.

Inside the Palace, guests gathered in the immense ballroom. The floor was gleaming blue marble, inlaid with a gold spiderweb pattern. At the center of the web sat the spider of House Xar'Cha, worked in gold and sapphire. Soaring columns resembling stalagmites supported the ceiling. High above, gossamer webs of gold stretched between them, dotted with glittering jeweled spiders.

Frescoes depicting scenes of the Underdark adorned the walls. The east wall was a triptych depicting the Drow's descent from the surface, following the will of the Spider Queen; the discovery of Menzoberranzan; and the founding of House Xar'Cha, showing the stalagmite tower the House called home. The west wall displayed images of drow rediscovering the Surface, trade caravans carrying the wealth of both the Surface and the Underdark, and the founding of Delmah Phor. Each image was framed in living stone, carved to resemble the fantastical flora and fauna of the Underdark. Above the carved double doors that led into the ballroom from the north was an image of a giant Underdark dragon battling an armored drowess.

Above, the ceiling was another web of gold and blue marble, culminating in a great dome of cobalt glass. Hanging from the center of the dome was an enormous spider, encrusted with sapphires, its legs spread wide. From its claws dangled a bowl shaped web with delicate alabaster panes which flood the room with golden light.

The southern side of the ballroom was dominated by a raised dais. Atop it sat another rendition of a massive spider. This one was carved from a darker blue stone, nearly black, and encrusted with blue diamonds. Its eyes were large round star sapphires, their shine making it seem as if the spider was watching you. Atop the spider's thorax, appearing as a gilded crown, was a plush cushion of blue silk. Any who sat there might appear as a mock drider, or an echo of the Spider Queen herself. Reinforcing this image, the south wall was a massive image if Lolth in all of her glory, ruling in the Demonweb pits, surrounded by her handmaidens and worshipping drow.

Between the columns and the walls, round tables were set, where guests could gather and eat. The tablecloths bore yet another rendition of the House symbol. Long tables were laden with Underdark delicacies. Servers in blue and gold livery circulated through the room, carrying trays of drinks and hors d'oeuvres. The center of the ballroom was left clear for dancing, and the sound of music filled the room, either through magical means or from an unseen orchestra.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    Shelob's Den

The half-orc bouncer returns the bow, bending much deeper but never taking her eyes off of Asim. As she rises, she examines him. "You're on your own?" she asks, but that seems to be more of a querulous observation than actual question. "Go ahead. We ask that any weapons you carry be checked in at the front desk."
    [Shelob's Den]

Anis nods his understanding, and walks up to the front desk, retrieving his dagger from it's concealed holster.
    "This is all I have. Keep it safe, would you?"

It wasn't a lie. That was the only weapon he had on his person. He had plenty of spells ready to be prepped but really. What were the odds he'd be needing those? He takes a seat at the bar and orders a mushroom wine, looking over his shoulder at the lounge as he does so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Xar'Cha Palace

The first guest to arrive is a human male. Most Reverend Terrowin of Xela's Howe, High Priest of the Reformed Church of Dalachrech, the Divine Cockroach, Prophet of Dalachrech and Father of the Clergy. He's wearing a loose black robe with the design of a two-tailed scorpion embroidered in red on the back; it frames a similarly embroidered shield bearing the device of three cockroaches. Atop his head is a gold circlet shaped to resemble a centipede curled around his head, and his only other piece of jewellery is a silver amulet depicting a two-tailed scorpion around his neck.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Xar'Cha Palace]

Tebtranlyn Xar'Cha was not a happy drow.

He was suppose to be an assassin. A blade in the night. An unexplainable death. A shadow in the corner of your eye that you could never catch. And here he was as 'extra security' for the party or as he thought of it 'mandatory party attender'.

There were enough guards as it was, seen and unseen, and only the stupid, foolish, or truly desperate would try to do anything that would bring harm to anyone at the party. Oh, there were plenty of dangers to be sure but only the dangers of politics and etiquette, not the dangers of poison and daggers. That was what after the party was for, Death. That was what Tebtranlyn lived for.

It was his own fault that he was here as extra security though. His special set of skills had not been in high demand as of late and he had grown bored. Then he had mentioned how bored he was in passing to some aunt or uncle of his and suddenly here he was. Without his Piwafwi cloak to help him blend with the shadows, without his bow to kill his enemies from beyond their reach, without his armor to protect from the strike of a sword, he felt naked.

So, here he was, pacing among the nobles of various houses and outsiders, having to force himself not to scowl, and to talk politely with all those around. On the bright side he was no longer bored. Now he was just annoyed.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Xar'Cha Palace

A Remnant liveried limo arrives bearing Acting Commander Delisle and her date for the evening, Advisor Vyrn. Both are dressed impeccably. Delisle is in a long, dark purple dress with a brooch bearing the Remnant logo on one shoulder. Her shoes are carefully crafted to make her height exactly equal to Vyrn's. Though she outranks him within the city's authority structure, she wants to make a point about gender equality. It's a subtle message, but the drow are good at subtle.

The pair enter together and Delisle steels herself for what she expects to be a thoroughly miserable evening of political maneuvering. Thank the gods Vyrn was available - this sort of thing is where he shines.

Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-09-08 at 04:15 PM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

23. - Top - End - #83

[Xar'Cha Palace]

Normally, for a recon mission like this, Jane Doe would not be in the open like this. She wouldn't be wearing this black sleeveless dress, and she'd be armed with more than the few combat augmentations that she had with her. She'd be cloaked, on the rooftops, deploying recon nanodrones, and finding her target.

But she had her orders. She was to act both as scout and as MURDER'S representative to the Xar'Cha Matron. She is here alone, and (for once) unarmed. She is looking at her surroundings, memorizing security positions and making little effort to socialize.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-09-07 at 04:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

[Public Gardens]

Sadei will nod enthusiastically and follow the drow to the palace! No doubt this is a wonderful idea and nothing terrible will come of it.

[Xar'Cha Palace]

Oh hey, look. It's Zee!

And... Who's that with her?

The pair had simply arrived. How and when is rather difficult to say. But they arrived none the less.

Zee is arrayed in a stunning white dress that shimmers with an otherworldly iridescence. On a silver chain about her neck hangs a strange branch-like symbol.

The fellow accompanying her is quite the looker himself, clad in a deceptively simple dress suit. The are of a strange orangish metal that seems to crackle like crystallized flame. It shifts to polished bone before igniting again, constantly cycling back and forth.

Zee is fiddling with her dress quite a bit...

The fellow with her leans sideways and mutters, "Stop fidgeting, K'rax. You look fine."

"Scrunching into humanoid shape is bothersome enough without wearing a dress on top of everything else,"
    she mutters back.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

[Xar'Cha Palace]

Ilpholin arrives riding atop Mister Squiggles. She's wearing a dress made from sheer blue spider silk. It was a one shouldered number, the layers of fabric wrapped and rouched in a way that they would not reveal too much of the skin beneath, but certainly enough to tease. The hemline was asymetrical, falling to below the knee on one side, but rising to daringly high slit on the other, which would only be made visible as Ilpholin moved. The shoulder of the dress was held together by a golden pin in the shape of a spider. Its eyes and abdomen glittered with sapphires. More sheer fabric trailed down from the shoulder to a delicate gold cuff, fashioned after a spider web, which would cover the back of the hand, ending in a ring bearing another, smaller, gold spider. It's abdomen was fashioned from a single large star sapphire. Particularly perceptive personages would discover that the folds of the dress hid numerous concealed pockets, cleverly sewn.

Mister Squiggles alas does not get quite as much detail in his dressing of choice, because he is a spider. And it is very difficult to get dressed up as a spider. He has on a black and white tux with a red bowtie.

Walking aside them should be Din, dressed up however Art chooses, though Ilpholin would have forced to dress up for certain. He is clearly not an equal and could be considered a bit of a chauffeur and bodyguard in one, even if he's not allowed weapons. Seemed to do fine with improvised weapons last time.

Left a little ways away from the palace itself is Tut, the living lion mural, who was told to stay behind a bit, lest the guards get all antsy about him.

Once they arrive, Ilpholin will get off of Mister Squiggles' back to better mingle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #86

Xar'Cha Palace

A purple limo strolls up to the scene of the party, opens its doors, and then suddenly Magbots, Magbots everywhere! Magbot valets with silly uniforms, Magbot honor guards with silly rifles, and even a few Magbot butlers to roll out a red carpet for their master's own use!

Our favorite cyborg steps out, clad in a stupidly expensive suit, as is usual when gracing these sorts of events with his presence. It's just a simple dark gray this time, with purple tie and matching black undershirt. None of that Twoface-inspired nonsense this time around, apparently.

"Here we are, Ms. Mase. Xar'Cha Palace. Now would probably be a bad time to realize you're arachnophobic."

A hand goes out towards someone still within the limo. Presumably it's whoever this Ms. Mase woman is. Some new catgirl minion? A bee woman business partner? Maybe even a werewolf girlfriend? One of those three or some combination of the above, surely.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Xar'Cha Palace

A Remnant liveried limo arrives bearing Acting Commander Delisle and her date for the evening, Advisor Vyrn. Both are dressed impeccably. Delisle is in a long, dark purple dress with a brooch bearing the Remnant logo on one shoulder. Her shoes are carefully crafted to make her height exactly equal to Vyrn's. Though she outranks him within the city's authority structure, she wants to make a point about gender equality. It's a subtle message, but the drow are good at subtle.

The pair enter together and Delisle steels herself for what she expects to be a thoroughly miserable evening of political maneuvering. Thank the gods Vyrn was available - this sort of thing is where he shines.
    Vyrn's own attire is something more along the lines of a particularly fancy military dress uniform, in black and dark navy colors. Adorning the chest around where one would expect a mark of rank is an emblem similar to Remnant's, with color-changes as appropriate for the Irregulars.

He does not seem particularly worried about things, contrary to the lack of bodyguards and his formerly-infamous paranoia. It's not as if this kind of party is alien to him, either, with his noble heritage, though it has certainly been a while. When he was called upon to basically be himself here, how could he have said no?
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

[Xar'Cha Palace]

Dipsnig is there as well. He arrives on Viima, who was cleaned, brushed and groomed for the occasion. The goblin himself is not wearing his usual faux-military outfit. Actual goblin soldiers might show up at the party - if the Boss of Underside Colony is invited - and that would make for an awkward situation given Dipsnig's dishonorable discharge from the Dragonbone Colony military.

Instead, Dipsnig is wearing a long, loose sleeveless tunic in the color of dark blue, with a checkered pattern, resembling a quilt. Underneath it he's wearing a dark grey shirt with silver thread along the sleeves. His trousers are dark grey and, like the shirt and tunic, they're also a little baggy. Finally, he's wearing polished black shoes.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

[Xar'Cha Palace]

"Don't concern yourself over me, Magtok." A milky white hand takes Magtok's and soon the rest of its owner follows. Samona Mase loops her arm in the cyborg's and casts her red eyes over the palace. "I have to say, I'm impressed." The vampire is wearing a long, purple dress to match Magtok's tie. The neckline is so high as to be nonexistant, but on the other hand, it's very backless. Her dark hair is piled up on top of her head elaborately and a pair of earrings dangle from her ears.

30. - Top - End - #90

[Xar'Cha Palace]

Tobias Vulpan, Commander of HALO, and his wife appear as close to the front entrance as any teleportation wards allow, walking the rest of the distance. He is wearing a crimson military dress uniform with gold buttons and gold crowns for rank insignia. The uniform is also adorned with several medals and ribbons. The military dress trousers are black with vertical crimson stripes on the sides, like a US Marine's uniform. His shoes are black and polished to a shine. His usual hat and satchel are gone for the evening, as are his concealed weapons. He seems confident and relaxed.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid