New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

I always figured it was kind of like how most children are literally incapable of comprehending that people don't know what they know before a certain age, because the part of their brain that handles that isn't finished developing. Fast aging does has its advantages.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    Yeah but I still find it really odd to think of an elf that had been adventuring for 120 years from age 115 would have learned less than an orc that fought for 30 from age 15. The 235 year old elf has less world experience than the 45 year old orc? Really? The elf who has been fighting life and death battles for over a century, since before the orc's grandparents were born? He gets less of a wis/int/cha modifier?
    Your confusion is nothing compared to Vaarsuvius' outrage.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

This isn't anything recent, but shouldn't Belkar's wisdom be listed as exactly 9 rather than <=9 because of comic 58?

4. - Top - End - #544

SwashbucklerGuy

It does make sense for game balance reasons - the mental bonuses apply at the same time as the physical penalties, which are based on the life span of the creature in question. But on the other hand, life spans are pretty much only there for flavor anyway - the game wouldn't really change mechanically if all races aged at the same rate.

Of course, the whole question is more or less academic. How many D&D games go on long enough for a character to actually advance an age category?

EDIT @ bookguy:

This was discussed a while back. Strictly speaking, Belkar's Wisdom would have to be 10 going by that comic. CSW is a 4th-level Ranger spell. However, that contradics #475 where he claims to have an ability score penalty. It was decided that the more recent comic trumps the earlier one.
    Last edited by Gitman00; 2013-02-28 at 10:16 PM.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    His two castings of Heal had a lot of off-screen time in-between - more than enough to spend a round on activating Pearl Of Power 6. Same with Resurrections and Pearl of Power 7.
    Wait, why do we think he has Pearl of Power?

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bookguy View Post
    This isn't anything recent, but shouldn't Belkar's wisdom be listed as exactly 9 rather than <=9 because of comic 58?
    That's been brought up many times before. To make a long story short: we can't really make a call on that evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    That's been brought up many times before. To make a long story short: we can't really make a call on that evidence.
    More to the point, we have to throw out one bit of evidence for the whole to make sense. There are three bits: Belkar's Wisdom, the spell's level, and the spell's name. Either Belkar's Wisdom really was 10, or cure serious wounds was really a level 3 Ranger spell in the OOTSverse, or those weren't really scrolls of cure serious wounds. My preferred retcon is that they were really scrolls of cure moderate wounds and not cure serious wounds, but that's not exactly something that can be put in the opening post, so there's no point advocating it.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    More to the point, we have to throw out one bit of evidence for the whole to make sense. There are three bits: Belkar's Wisdom, the spell's level, and the spell's name. Either Belkar's Wisdom really was 10, or cure serious wounds was really a level 3 Ranger spell in the OOTSverse, or those weren't really scrolls of cure serious wounds. My preferred retcon is that they were really scrolls of cure moderate wounds and not cure serious wounds, but that's not exactly something that can be put in the opening post, so there's no point advocating it.
    None of those bits have to be thrown out at all, provided that you interpret the scroll use rules as using the level of the spell on the scroll (which would almost certainly be from the cleric list, where it's level 3) to determine how high the ability score requirement is. I believe this is the correct interpretation. A lot of people agree with me. A lot of people don't.

Several threads ago this disagreement blew up into a giant borderline flame war, with everyone on all sides convinced they were unassailably correct and no progress made whatsoever.

We're nowhere near that level of argument yet this time, but it seems to me that we're heading in that direction. Therefore, could we all agree to just drop the subject again to avoid any possibility of thread lock?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #549

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    None of those bits have to be thrown out at all, provided that you interpret the scroll use rules as using the level of the spell on the scroll (which would almost certainly be from the cleric list, where it's level 3) to determine how high the ability score requirement is. I believe this is the correct interpretation. A lot of people agree with me. A lot of people don't.
    I would point out that the SRD entry on scrolls as magic items says nothing about the class of the scribe. As I understand it, a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds is a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds. A Ranger casts it as a Ranger, and a Cleric casts it as a Cleric. So for Belkar, it should always be a 4th-level spell.

But this is moot. Consensus was already reached that Comic 58 was ignoring the rules for the sake of the joke, and Comic 475 has more weight.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #550
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    I would point out that the SRD entry on scrolls as magic items says nothing about the class of the scribe. As I understand it, a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds is a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds. A Ranger casts it as a Ranger, and a Cleric casts it as a Cleric. So for Belkar, it should always be a 4th-level spell.

But this is moot. Consensus was already reached that Comic 58 was ignoring the rules for the sake of the joke, and Comic 475 has more weight.
    For the effect of the spell, yes. The caster level and spell level of the scroll, however, which determine the price, save DC, and level-dependent variables, are set when the scroll is made by the one who made it. The scroll, independent of any hypothetical user, has a 3rd level spell on it at caster level 5.

...and that's all I'm going to say on the subject.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    More to the point, we have to throw out one bit of evidence for the whole to make sense. There are three bits: Belkar's Wisdom, the spell's level, and the spell's name. Either Belkar's Wisdom really was 10, or cure serious wounds was really a level 3 Ranger spell in the OOTSverse, or those weren't really scrolls of cure serious wounds.
    As pointed out above, by RAW, the level of a scroll is set by its creator, not its user.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #552
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mawexzon View Post
    Even if it isn't on the rules, The Giant has shown to house-rule it that way, like when Xykon became Lich he felt a lot better, likely returning any penalties he had when he was alive.
    Edit: Now that i've checked, Xykon has age bonuses, so why should Malack have them too?
    I always thought him feeling a lot better was due to (a) having a font of dark negative power keeping him alive instead of biology (which I guess could be the same thing as "no longer having a Constitution score"), (b) gaining mental ability score bonuses as per the Lich template, and (c) being free of
    Spoiler
    Show
    the anti-casting disease that Lirian had inflicted him with.

Never occurred to me that undoing aging penalties to his Strength and Dexterity would even be part of the reason. Just my 2 cents.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Wait, why do we think he has Pearl of Power?
    We are trying to pinpoint the minimum and maximum character level that corresponds to demonstrated levels of power. Thus, we cannot assume that he has no such common items.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

A couple things I'm curious about:
    Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is seen in #670 on the list O-Chul gives them.
    Durkon's Strength is listed as 14-19, lower bound given because he can carry Vaarsuvius.
    O-Chul has also been seen carrying V, but his minimum strength is apparently 11. Can anyone explain why?
    Sabine is Haley's personal rival? Both strips linked mention Crystal.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    I would point out that the SRD entry on scrolls as magic items says nothing about the class of the scribe. As I understand it, a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds is a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds. A Ranger casts it as a Ranger, and a Cleric casts it as a Cleric.
    Actually, the SRD does mention it. A scroll's class and level does precisely depend on the scribe, and the scribe is assumed by default to be a wizard (for arcane scrolls) or a cleric or druid (for divine scrolls). The page points out that if a bard would make a scroll (e.g of Hideous Laughter), it would be a different, and lower level, scroll than if a wizard would make it. But, as the SRD states, bards, paladins and rangers "typically don’t involve themselves in scribing scrolls".

RAW is quite clear on this. And remember that we last debated this seven years ago, so it is fair to say that not everybody would remember that discussion. Regardless, people are allowed to change their minds in seven years. It is really not an argument that, since there was disagreement on this seven years ago we may not discuss it now.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #556

Since we're apparently going here again, and without Wrecan this time:

Anyone who is about to advance an argument that Belkar should be listed as having a Wisdom of exactly 9, be aware that you're arguing that Belkar's wisdom is only slightly below average. If you still wish to do so, go ahead, but at least know what you're asserting.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

We are trying to pinpoint the minimum and maximum character level that corresponds to demonstrated levels of power. Thus, we cannot assume that he has no such common items.
    Please define "common". It doesn't sound like this "Pearl of Power" is in the same category of the ten foot pole and rope that I would define as common items. If what you mean by "common" is "objects everyone agree that a PC of level X and above always buys" then, we have plenty of evidence that the order doesn't have most of those.

Without evidence that Durkon has purchased it, it is like the six rings of free movement that someone was suggesting the order should have bought. The OotS world doesn't seem to have well-stocked magical bazaars, and magic objects are mostly obtained on-screen, so far. For Thor's sake, they don't even seem to carry rope and ten foot poles, which every single PC I've ever played or seen played has carried.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-03-01 at 10:27 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #558

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If what you mean by "common" is "objects everyone agree that a PC of level X and above always buys" then, we have plenty of evidence that the order doesn't have most of those.
    Starting with the fact that, "SinsI's apparent beliefs aside, there's no such thing."
    Without evidence that Durkon has purchased it, it is like the six rings of free movement that someone was suggesting the order should have bought.
    Psst--"someone" was the person you're addressing. So...yes, exactly like that.

19. - Top - End - #559

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Please define "common". It doesn't sound like this "Pearl of Power" is in the same category of the ten foot pole and rope that I would define as common items. If what you mean by "common" is "objects everyone agree that a PC of level X and above always buys" then, we have plenty of evidence that the order doesn't have most of those.

Without evidence that Durkon has purchased it, it is like the six rings of free movement that someone was suggesting the order should have bought. The OotS world doesn't seem to have well-stocked magical bazaars, and magic objects are mostly obtained on-screen, so far. For Thor's sake, they don't even seem to carry rope and ten foot poles, which every single PC I've ever played or seen played has carried.

Grey Wolf
    Common as in "listed in SRD" and "costs less than a third of their WBL".

And why "six rings of freedom of movement"? Just two, for the melee non-casters in the party - for Roy and Belkar. Belkar was grappled more than enough in combat (i.e. by Miko's mount) to understand its worth...

High level PCs have access to items that reduce spellcasting restrictions and effectiveness of certain game mechanics - the rules (and most of the challenges in source books) were made with that assumption, we just have to take it into account. You wouldn't argue that V absolutely doesn't have a ring of wizardry, would you?
    Last edited by SinsI; 2013-03-01 at 12:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized that the subject had already been discussed. I only started reading OotS about a year ago.

21. - Top - End - #561

You wouldn't argue that V absolutely doesn't have a ring of wizardry, would you?
    This is a dishonest argument, SinsI. Arguing that someone "absolutely doesn't" have something is not equivalent to arguing that someone is not established to have something. In your case, you want to have the characters listed as having a bunch of things there's no evidence for in the comics, because your concept of high-level adventurers "should" have those things. But you don't get to do "Prove they don't have these things, or list them as having them."

Vaarsuvius is established as having a Ring of Wizardry. Roy is not established as having a Ring of Free Action, nor has anything in the comic suggested as much. See the difference?
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-03-01 at 12:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

V's been stated in the course of the comic to have a Ring of Wizardry. The only evidence for Durkon having a Pearl of Power is your supposition that he might've acquired one, based on something that the comic repeatedly ignores. (Optimization)

On another note: Durkon includes Elan in "Weak willed", but doesn't include Roy, in 874. Given that bards have will saves as a primary save and fighters don't, does this mean Roy has some unspecified bonus to will saves/saves in general? Even with an 18 wisdom from Roy and a 8 wisdom from Elan, they'd still have an equal base bonus to will saves before gear/feats; +8 (Base on the minimum level the thread has established for them)

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter548 View Post
    On another note: Durkon includes Elan in "Weak willed", but doesn't include Roy, in 874. Given that bards have will saves as a primary save and fighters don't, does this mean Roy has some unspecified bonus to will saves/saves in general?
    Malack probably meant "those with poor Will saves," but I think Durkon understood it to mean something...less mechanical. Especially since, as you note, Roy's Will save shouldn't actually be better than Elan's even with the difference in their Wisdom.

24. - Top - End - #564

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Malack probably meant "those with poor Will saves," but I think Durkon understood it to mean something...less mechanical. Especially since, as you note, Roy's Will save shouldn't actually be better than Elan's even with the difference in their Wisdom.
    I'd be a little more worried about Elan's sense motive than his will save, personally.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

Would the problem of Belkar's wisdom be solved if we decided that the scrolls he used were, by some unlikely chain of events, actually scribed by some unknown ranger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

It's also possible that OOTSverse Owl's Wisdom provides a substantially larger bonus than the RAW edition. (At least, when it would be funny for it to do so)
    Last edited by Shale; 2013-03-01 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Would the problem of Belkar's wisdom be solved if we decided that the scrolls he used were, by some unlikely chain of events, actually scribed by some unknown ranger?
    I think that would make the problem worse. If I understand correctly, a ranger needs WIS 14 to cast that spell. A cleric, only 13. The disagreement is in a ranger casting a cleric spell from a scroll: does he require a ranger's WIS (because he is a ranger) or a cleric's WIS (because it's a cleric scroll).

But I'm with Kish here: 9 and 10 WIS both feel way too high for Belkar.
    Edit: and with Shale. From now on, my headcanon is that V has a homebrewed version that gives 8 WIS to lemmings, and the regular amount to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bookguy View Post
    I'm sorry, I hadn't realized that the subject had already been discussed. I only started reading OotS about a year ago.
    Not your fault at all. I suggest adding this topic to the FAQ, though.

Common as in "listed in SRD" and "costs less than a third of their WBL".
    A third? That's a lot of money. Essentially, they have, what, 10 slots for magic items? And you consider common items they could only buy 3 of? Yeah, that doesn't sound like the OotS would splurge on.

You wouldn't argue that V absolutely doesn't have a ring of wizardry, would you?
    No, of course not. V said he had one. Durkon hasn't said anything about having Pearls.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-03-01 at 01:26 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #568

Ignoring the Belkar's wisdom discussion, I'm going to post the spells Malack has cast thus far.

0:
    1:
    2: Hold Person
    3:
    4: Poison
    5: Flame Strike X2, Quickened Inflict Light Wounds
    6: Greater Dispel Magic, Harm

So, if he casts one more 5th or 6th level spell, either his wisdom is in the 20-23 range (depending on what level spell he casts), or he is 12th level.

29. - Top - End - #569

Remember that Harm is a Destruction doman spell.

30. - Top - End - #570

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Remember that Harm is a Destruction doman spell.
    Correct. a cleric of at least 11th level and wisdom of 16, as we assume Malack to have, has 1 6th level spell and one 6th level domain spell.

As I said, if he casts another 5th or 6th level spell, then either his wisdom is higher or he is level 12.

Or were you just reminding me of it being a destruction domain spell, to make note of on the spell list?
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2013-03-01 at 01:53 PM.