New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1114
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Oh that's right. If you didn't get a complete year off Wookiee, you're free to play the first year of the new fort.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Oh that's right. If you didn't get a complete year off Wookiee, you're free to play the first year of the new fort.
    I ran it for the full year, but the last half with the mad ravings involved 2 dwarfs not moving from where they were. I'll get our seaside getaway started this evening though! I'm debating between a high rise condo setup, or a hole in the ground with only one entrance. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Troll in the Playground

I think your dwarf was paralyzed by the demon ichor he was soaked in Wookie, and the child took longer to die than he did when I checked the fort.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

An ocean-top platform fort, connected to land only by a series of retractable bridges.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it. Be sure to anchor it somewhere though. Or else we all tumble into the sea.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    An ocean-top platform fort, connected to land only by a series of retractable bridges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I like it. Be sure to anchor it somewhere though. Or else we all tumble into the sea.
    Sounds like a plan! I think I'll make the anchor point lead to a wall and then have a dwarven atom smasher placed on it in case of emergencies. I also have a couple of ideas for weaponized water, but I don't know if that'll be possible in the scope of getting the fort up and running.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Troll in the Playground

Through careful use of pumps we could build a tunnel down into the ocean itself and mine into the seabed for supplies to build the platform once it's started and break the anchor to the surface so it's able to be fully sealed at will.

8. - Top - End - #1028

DwarfFighterGuy

If we can find a good ocean, we can totally replicate the mermaid bone farm in all of its horrible horrible glory.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Through careful use of pumps we could build a tunnel down into the ocean itself and mine into the seabed for supplies to build the platform once it's started and break the anchor to the surface so it's able to be fully sealed at will.
    Could you acomplish something similar by building a solid tower of rock and then removing its supports causing it to fall into the ocean, and then mining through the rubble to reach the sea bed? That's my current plan of action, unless its known to not work, then I'll spend time working on getting a stockpile of pump bits made up.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

I think constructed walls just disappear when they hit the ground so we can't just displace water with them. Shame really, it would make damming rivers so easy.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't believe constructions can be caved in in that way; whenever I've attempted that they just fall apart into their building materials.

On another note, can we get plant growth on constructed tiles? I'm thinking we could build an artificial island. If not, we can always just carve a peninsula into an island.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

I've made a fort to test some principles we may need for the communal deathtrap fort.

Going to test:

Cave ins using constructions. (I don't have much hope for this)

Farming on constructed floors.

Draining a tube down into the ocean.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Wookieetank overseer:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st of Granite, 1064: After all my misadventures in the temperate and arid climates, I signed on to an expidetion to more tropical climes. I find myself in charge of the fort, and since we have a large expanse of ocean at our disposal, I've decided to make our fort out on the water. With any luck it'll provide us with an easily defensible position.

4th of Felsite, 1064: Work is going slowly on our ocean fort, something about frequent waves intterupting the work. Whiners.

28th of Hematite, 1064: New migrants arrive today. With any luck they'll help speed up production on our basic structures so that we'll finally have rooms to sleep in.

9th of Summer, 1064: The summer just flew by. Construction is slowly coming along. Looking at our stocks for the first time in a while, seems like I shoulda looked at them sooner. We only have 7 meat, 6 fish, 0 plants and 0 drink! I declare a state of emergency and order a still built up.

18th of Limestone, 1064: We now number 14 with our newest influx of intrepid dwarfs. Still no drink, and our meat is down to 4. Gonna have to order someone to go kill all the tasty critters roaming around since no one can seem to think for themselves.

18th of Timber, 1064: The merchants from mountainhome have come and gone now, and with their leaving goes a request for foods and booze.

3rd of Opal, 1064: Despite my best efforts to herd this horde of cat-like dwarves, we're now completely out of food and drink, despite a high number of plants nearby.

20th of Obsidian, 1064: Today overseering wookieetank died of starvation. One of Wookiee's advisors informs me the Reg Berdansazir keeps throwing tantrums, something about no food. I know its elfy and all, but there are TONS of plants for noming in this area, seriously dwarfs, man up or shut up. Just to be safe I order ALL the plants to be harvested. ALL OF THEM!

2nd of Granite, 1065: With the start of a new year I've decided that I've had it and throw a tantrum myself.

Main Ocean Fort

Workshops

Save

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort is in a rather iffy situation, wasn't paying too much attention to supplies while trying to get the ocean fort off the ground. ><

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

All right! Who's up for the next year of the fort!

Wookiee, your gift of fort-destroying continues to astound me.

(I'll be putting my name in as well. I have a plan involving Fish. Wookiee, you remembered to murder our animals, right?)
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-05-22 at 10:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

Through the dark and mysterious practice of Dwarfen Science! I have determined the following:

Constructions do deconstruct when used to cave in. (As expected based on the wiki entry but I felt I might as well check.)

Constructed floors work fine for growing plants and building farms, although all water tiles are considered 'above ground' and 'light' so we can't create underground farm plots unless we make them in the seabed.

Pumping works, though a great deal of pumps are needed and I still can't get the hang of automating them so I was unable to work out a proper method for pumping water out of the way.

So I hope someone else knows how to link waterwheels to pumps properly, or we're stuck with a surface rig with no drill.

Also Wookie, damn you and your wretched ASCII format pictures! I can recognize walls water and trees and not much else on those things!

I'll download the save and poke about in the fort and see what's what. I may spot something needing attention other than food.

EDIT: From my glance at the fort:

We're up a certain creek without a certain implement when it comes to food and drink. The bees in the area may be useful in the long term but we need some plump helmets fast and a bunch of plants gathered.

We have plenty of available resources to build the platform, Wookie chose well I'd say.

We have several veins of valuable substances in the mine on the shore, we may need to get some trade goods set up.

Some sort of accommodation for the dwarfs we have wouldn't go amiss. Don't want tantrums getting worse than they are. We need beds and burials sorted. The main structure of the fort can wait till the mood of the fort is stabilized.

Our still living animals need pastured.

We're in a bad place, but I'm sure we've all seen much worse and Wookie's gotten a lot of work done on the platform itself during his turn, depending on how we want to structure it we could start building rooms on it right away.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2013-05-23 at 04:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1036

DwarfFighterGuy

I am busy IRL until basically wednsday, but I eagerly anticipate watching this one unfold. Go team Dorf!

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

:
    We're up a certain creek without a certain implement when it comes to food and drink. The bees in the area may be useful in the long term but we need some plump helmets fast and a bunch of plants gathered.
    I've ordered EVERY plant on the map to be gathered, and everytime I find a idle dwarf without plant gathering enabled, it gets enabled. I really don't understand the lack of food, but then this wouldn't be the first time the dwarfs refuse to listen to anything I say in regards to keeping them alive

18. - Top - End - #1038

DwarfFighterGuy

You need bags for the dwarves to gather plants in if I recall correctly.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think that's the case, unless the sack requirement was new. There's got to be stockpile room for the food (meaning actual space, not just pots/barrels) and there may have to be haulers available for it. Otherwise the stuff gets picked and left on the ground.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll put in for the turn.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, you've got the turn Gnoman.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ettin in the Playground

I do have the working save, but it was a holiday weekend here, so I've been busy. I'll get to the game tomorrow.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

So how bout that community fort?

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm working on it, but work's been a nightmare the last week, and I've been dead tired when I get home. I'll have the turn finished by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

The thread in general had kinda gone quiet, just wanted to make sure peeps were still around. No rush on the turn, just missing dwarfy discussions.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ettin in the Playground

Even more busy than I expected. Give the turn to someone else.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I be a ghost? Making me a ghost would lead to great fun!
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, who's interested in the turn? First to respond will get it.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

Any Dorf's still here? I wish to discuss methods of sealing a fort off from the outside without being haunted by the ghosts of a thousand migrants.

I'm thinking I may put a retracting bridge over a massive hole that leads into my fort (no stairs) and have it linked to a lever in the fort. Migrants arrive, stand on bridge, pull lever, bury splattered corpses. Add traps for extra gore Fun if need be.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

Any Dorf's still here? I wish to discuss methods of sealing a fort off from the outside without being haunted by the ghosts of a thousand migrants.

I'm thinking I may put a retracting bridge over a massive hole that leads into my fort (no stairs) and have it linked to a lever in the fort. Migrants arrive, stand on bridge, pull lever, bury splattered corpses. Add traps for extra gore Fun if need be.
    You could always try dwarven atom smashers as well.