New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Time and Experience [3.5]

This variant is intended to slow down constant adventuring syndrome.

Earned Level and Actual Level
    The rules below can cause a discrepancy between a characters experience level and experience total. In such circumstances, the level a character has the experience points for is the character’s earned level, while the level the character actual has is the character’s actual level. If a character whose earned level and actual level differ suffers level loss, both levels are reduced accordingly, and the character’s experience total is set to the midpoint of the previous earned level.

Maximum Level Gain over Time
    No character can gain more than one level in a given year. If enough experience to gain a second level in a given year is earned, the character retains the experience, which will result in experience gain as soon as sufficient time has passed.

Extra Levels over Time
    If an adult or older character fails to gain a level via experience gain in a time period determined by the character's lifespan (see Training Check Frequency By Age, below), the character may have a chance of gaining a level anyway. Roll 1d100 on the Available Classes for Level Gain by Duration table below. If part of the entry is in parentheses, the classes in parenthesis are only available if the character already has a level in that class. While a level may be gained under these circumstances, additional experience points are not gained.

Gaining a new class in this manner is subject to minimum starting age as per starting a new character of that class. NPC classes use the barbarian column; other classes with no specified starting age should be assigned an appropriate column. In no case is the character required to gain such a level.

Training Check Frequency By Age

Age Becomes Venerable Examples Level Check Gain Frequency
    35-50 years Half-Orcs, Humans 1 year
    71-100 years Halflings, Half-Elves 2 years
    141-280 years Gnomes, Dwarves 3 years
    281-420 years Elves 4 years

Available Classes for Level Gain by Duration
    (Classes in parentheses are only available if character already has a level in that class. See text for other restrictions. ‘None’ may be chosen even if not rolled.)
    Die Roll Level 1 Levels 2-3 Levels 4-7 Levels 8-15 16+
    01 PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class
    02 NPC Class NCP Class, (PC Class) PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class
    03 Commoner NPC Class NCP Class, (PC Class) PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class
    04 - Commoner, (NPC Class) NCP Class, (PC Class) PC or NPC Class PC or NPC Class
    05 - Commoner NPC Class NCP Class, (PC Class) PC or NPC Class
    06 - - NPC Class NCP Class, (PC Class) PC or NPC Class
    07-08 - - Commoner, (NPC Class) NCP Class, (PC Class) PC or NPC Class
    9-10 - - Commoner NPC Class NCP Class, (PC Class)
    11-12 - - - NPC Class NCP Class, (PC Class)
    13-16 - - - Commoner, (NPC Class) NCP Class, (PC Class)
    17-20 - - - Commoner NPC Class
    21-24 - - - - NPC Class
    25-32 - - - - Commoner, (NPC Class)
    33-40 - - - - Commoner
    41-100 - - - - -

CHANGE LOG

9/3/2012 Clarified that time advancement not required (Thank you, Yitzi.)
    12/21/2013 Frequency of check now depends on lifespan
    6/28/2015 Replaced Tables
    Last edited by ideasmith; 2015-06-28 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Fixed Tables
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Time and Experience [3.5]

But what if a character doesn't want to waste ECL on NPC classes or on commoner levels? You'd need to adjust ECL for that to work.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    But what if a character doesn't want to waste ECL on NPC classes or on commoner levels? You'd need to adjust ECL for that to work.
    Then they won't take levels in those classes. Will reword to make clearer that 'none' is always a choice on that table.
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Variant revised; see original post.
    My Extended Signature