New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default My First Published Novel!

Hey Fellow Stickers,

(Wow, that sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it?)

I've been a writer for most of my life. Literally. I started my hand at writing with crayon in the summer after Grade 2, making little stories starring Gizmo from the movie Gremlins.

I'd like to think I've gotten a little better since then. I've had half a dozen short stories published in a variety of small press magazines, but never a full-length novel.

Well, my dream has finally come true, as The City of Smoke & Mirrors, is now available! It's the first in a series I like to call "The Armadillo Mysteries."

I'll let its star, Dilbert Pinkerton, tell you about it:

The name's Dilbert Pinkerton, private detective. Friends call me Dill. I'm a mutant armadillo. I dig for the truth.

And the truth is I need to get out of the city, away from supernatural mobsters that want my carapace for a foot bath. So when some rich dame saunters into my Hovel Office with a job, I take it. Even if it's to retrieve a pearl necklace that's not hers. I'm desperate enough, I don't even care the job sends me to Nevermore Bay.

Yeah, Nevermore Bay: the city where some wacko in a mask hurdles across rooftops; calls himself The Buzzard. Criminals are scared pantsless of him. ‘Course, most people think he’s a myth created by the police department.

If you ask me, that’s a far more exciting mystery than some oyster’s cough drops. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone during this vacation. If, that is, I don’t get killed by the police, Don Komodo’s crew that’s on my tail, some of The Buzzard’s rogues gallery or The Buzzard, himself.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My First Published Novel!

WOOT! Go self pub! congrats.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Not self-published, actually. It was published and released through Pro Se Pulp Press. So, small print, but still not self-published.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Congradulations!
    High intelligence low wisdom: how to make bad choices very efficiently

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kudos! I also started writing at a young age, these really dark stories with the reoccurring theme of everyone dies. However, now I'm into screenplays and plays, and it's AMAZING to see other writers (stickers, no less) succeeding! Here's a little tidbit from my stuff- I'm only in High School, so I'd like to know an unbiased writer's opinion. This is the first time BBJ has traveled through space with Naomi, thanking her for saving him.

BBJ
    That reminds me. There's a cupboard in my ship- under no circumstances, can you touch it. Do not get near it, do not brush against it, and do not ever, ever open it.

NAOMI
    Why?

BBJ
    There is someone... something very, very, very dangerous in there. If you open that cupboard, anything could happen. Just... beware that cupboard. And every cupboard now. Keep all your clothes in a dresser forever. Have someone else transfer them. You have to be careful for the rest of your life.

NAOMI
    Why didn't you tell me this earlier?

BBJ
    Well, he, uh... didn't want me to remember. He got bored with all my warnings to people, but someone opened their cupboard, and now he's got stronger. Just don't touch the cupboard.

NAOMI
    There are enemies that powerful? They live in a cupboard and you forget who they are?

BBJ
    (Slowly stopping to talk to Naomi and seeming to comfort himself)
    Yes, but I've got good friends as well. There are good people in the world as well as bad. We always find a way to win. We always will.

BBJ stares into nothing for a few moments, sad. Then, he shakes his head and sees the mayor's main chair. He claps his hands together.

BBJ (CONT'D)
    Oooh, spinney chair!
    Place witty comment combining OOTS, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Dr. Horrible, Sherlock, Firefly, Buffy, Farscape, Torchwood... basically everything awesome and especially Joss Whedon.

"This is normally the part when people start screaming."
    -SYLAR