New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Elan Cosplay

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Elan Cosplay

So Comic-Con is coming up and I am planning as cosplaying as Elan. Pretty sure my girlfriend wouldn't want to go as another Order member, (she plans on going as someone from Bleach, which I'm unfamiliar with, but hopefully Elan + Bleach girl look good together?) So Elan will be by his lonesome. Original Elan, too, not Dashing Swordsman Elan.

I already have a chain shirt, so there are a few things I need. I plan on making a lute, (I'm a carpenter, should be doable,) and a banjo doll. I'll have a green tunic under the maille and a sash, (should it be pure cloth or something heavier?)

I figure plain black pants, (I'll sew something.) Cloak should be easy. I'll just buy a clasp.

I do have a few hang ups. Accessories? Rings and such? Shoes? Socks? Also, I am unable to shave my beard. (I can trim it down, I'm not too strict, but can't shave it off.) How could I cover it up? It is brown. I plan on straightening and spray-dying my curly dark brown hair.

I've also been meaning to take a fencing class, so I could pick up a foil. Anyone know the biggest reasons to get either a foil or epee for an aspiring fencer?

Thanks, all!
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Elan Cosplay

I haven't actually used a foil or an epée, however, I did fence for a few months using the sabre. It's a pretty good length, though if you want to carry this thing around, I suggest going for a foil. Epées are unwieldy. Foil and epée you can only poke people with, sabres you also cut. My choice would be sabre, but if you're using this as a part of a costume, foil might be a better choice.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm curious to the reason that you can't banish the beard? Just morbid curiosity; you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Anyway, you should totally post a picture of you in costume when you get back from the Con. I gotta see some Elan cosplay, or any OoTS cosplay.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

If you can't lose the beard, go as Nale...
    Trim it up into the "Evil Goatee," reverse the sash, and you're in business.

Shoes: Regular brown or black loafers
    Rings: Any "Not Evil" would be fine. Elan would wear a ring, but probably not a skull ring. Nale WOULD wear a skull ring.
    Belt: Brown of black, possibly a fancy but small buckle (no rodeo champion buckle).

Make sure you post pics!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'm curious to the reason that you can't banish the beard? Just morbid curiosity; you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Anyway, you should totally post a picture of you in costume when you get back from the Con. I gotta see some Elan cosplay, or any OoTS cosplay.
    Oh, I don't mind answering. I'll leave it at religious reasons. (:

Yeah, I'll definitely post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    If you can't lose the beard, go as Nale...
    Trim it up into the "Evil Goatee," reverse the sash, and you're in business.

Shoes: Regular brown or black loafers
    Rings: Any "Not Evil" would be fine. Elan would wear a ring, but probably not a skull ring. Nale WOULD wear a skull ring.
    Belt: Brown of black, possibly a fancy but small buckle (no rodeo champion buckle).

Make sure you post pics!
    Hmm, yeah, loafers would work. I'll post them, sure! As for Nale, I've been considering it, but he lacks the accessories that, for me, really make a costume. Unless we can think of cool or iconic things for Nale to have, I would miss not having Banjo or a lute.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Darn it. Someone ninja'd my idea to go as Nale. Although there WAS that short bit where Not-Nale had a beard to masquerade as Nale...

Anyway, I don't do cosplay. The only thing I can think of is color your beard skin-color, but something tells me it doesn't work that way.

And please, at the very least release your picture of Banjo the Clown
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2