New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Resizing Windows: Can you make it right-align? (I have XP)

Basically, my problem is this: When you resize a window, at least in XP which is what I've currently got (unfortunately; this will change when I get a new computer), it aligns the contents to the left. That is, what's supposed to be on the left side of the window will always remain there and what's on the right side is what will disappear and need to be scrolled to see when you make the window less wide. What I want to know is - is there a way to change this? I want to be able to shrink a window and have it be right-aligned.

Example: If I make this window narrower, all the giantitp stuff like "gaming," "news," and "forum" will stay there on the left. As I continue to shrink it, all of the actual forum content will first compress and then disappear, needing to be scrolled to. I want it to do the reverse, with that stuff disappearing first. Is this possible to achieve?

And, if not, is there some other way to get left-aligned "sidebars" and such (not sure if they're really sidebars; I'm referring to things like on this website or on the left side of wikipedia) to disappear so that the other content on the web page I'm viewing displays flush with the left edge of the window?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Resizing Windows: Can you make it right-align? (I have XP)

To my knowledge, this is impossible, because of the way that browsers render pages by default (left to right and top to bottom). Since the sidebar is a fixed width, and the forum is variable width, the forum will always be the thing that shrinks and expands on window resize no matter what you do.

Since web pages don't have a single uniform structure, there is no magic bullet that makes every single sidebar go away, because the computer doesn't really have a way of reliably and accurately recognizing that it's a sidebar.

The best you can do is a temporary fix by either using the "Temporarily Hide Sidebar" button on GitP's sidebar, or using Firebug/Dragonfly/whatever to manually add "display:none" to the sidebar's CSS for your current rendering of the page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting