New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: unconventional uses of low level spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    If you want to pull this off without being a Binder, you have to take the Extraordinary Concentration Feat (Comp Adv), which allows you to maintain Concentration on a spell as a Move or Swift Action (requires Concentration check). Though the Str doesn't scale on generic Mage Hand, so you'd need to be very small/light if you wanted to pull of the surfing trick.
    Servant Horde [SpC] does scale with level.
    It creates 2d6+1/level (max 15) Unseen Servants, you just have to be very light - or Reduced.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

It's not terribly low level and it isn't something I've been able to do so far, but I want to play a druid and get someone on a patch of dirt and cast create water or get them over stone and cast stone to mud, then have someone with high strength or myself in wildshape hold them upside down with their head in the mud and cast mud to stone. I feel like if you have a group of people to you need to scare that might work fairly well.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Griffon

I've long wanted to play a cleric who casts Harm, bad guy is reduced to 1 hit point, then cast Cause Minor Wound.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    I've long wanted to play a cleric who casts Harm, bad guy is reduced to 1 hit point, then cast Quickened Cause Minor Wound.
    FTFY ............
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Because if you can cast a 5th-7th level spell, why not blow the 4(?) spell levels to just make it stick.
    Any time I've had the opportunity to cast Harm on anything, one of two things has occured.
    1-The target makes the save for half damage.
    2-The target has Deathward up and takes no damage.
    But the sheer amusement factor of finishing someone with a Cantrip?
    Priceless.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Using Ghost Sound to make it sound like the King farted in the middle of his epic pre-battle speech.
    please note that incoherent posting is incoherent.
    -Kymme gets all the credit for my current avatar. ALL OF IT.-
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by OneCalledBlue; Genderbent Ithlikar

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ghost Sound for a ranged intimidate check.
    I find it's worth it to have the Goblin or Troll language just for that purpose.
    The words "I will eat your face" apparently sound particularly scary to those who don't understand a lick of Goblin or Troll.
    Of course I could probably say "Bunnies and Kitties" in that language and give someone the creeps if they don't know the language.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Ghost Sound for a ranged intimidate check.
    I find it's worth it to have the Goblin or Troll language just for that purpose.
    The words "I will eat your face" apparently sound particularly scary to those who don't understand a lick of Goblin or Troll.
    Of course I could probably say "Bunnies and Kitties" in that language and give someone the creeps if they don't know the language.
    Doing it in Abyssal or Infernal would probably do it, provided they have those words.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by manyslayer View Post
    In 2nd edition (when you could command wasn't limited to a list of specific words/effects) I once commanded the plate mail wearing enemy to swim from on board the deck of a ship.
    Another fun use of command: Saving a life. Also in 2nd edition. Our party was talking with the captain of the guard. He was offered a drink by someone. The guard went to drink it. Somehow, we, the PCs knew this drink had been poisoned. But we couldn't tell the guard how we knew. He assumed we were joking and went to drink it anyway. Our cleric decided he would stop him from drinking it, forcibly. He cast command and gave the order "Spill". The guard spilled the drink and, having no idea what just happened, assumed the cleric had predicted he was about to spill his drink. And so the assassination attempt was foiled, by a first level spell.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

10. - Top - End - #70

NecromancerGuy

Grease centered on BBEG, + combust, 'nuff said.

Edit: not sure how legal this is with anyone else's DM...
    Last edited by Astral Avenger; 2012-10-02 at 09:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Avenger View Post
    Grease centered on BBEG, + combust, 'nuff said.

Edit: not sure how legal this is with anyone else's DM...
    Doesn't grease comment on how it can be lit aflame? And doesn't combust specify that it can light things on fire Why would a DM ban that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Doesn't grease comment on how it can be lit aflame? And doesn't combust specify that it can light things on fire Why would a DM ban that?
    It doesn't. Some D&D-based games allow it to be combustible explicitly (DDO, for example), but given that there is in fact a higher level spell somewhere (Sor/Wiz 2, I believe, but I don't recall the name) that is basically "grease that ignites if you want it to" some DMs figure it's a good reason to nerf grease.

I'm not sure I agree; I might prefer adjusting the Balance rules and removing the superfluous Sor/Wiz 2 version, which has a similar effect on grease's overall power, without the weirdness of non-flammable oily substances spread all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by manyslayer View Post
    Force ladder (SC, wiz2, creates an immobile ladder of force) can be used a a poor man's wall of force to stop charges, as well as using as a bridge or even, if you're a bit crazy, a ladder.
    That's... special, I suppose? It really just seems like they took Dark Way and reduced its effectiveness in every way possible by half (supports half the weight, is half the width, has a definite length limit) and on top of that they gave it a required focus. The only upside, I suppose, is it lasting minutes per level rather than rounds per level. Even so, I wouldn't choose a wizard with this over a cleric with Dark Way.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

THis one is dependent on DM and interpretation, but my Wizard has on a few occasions used a Gust of Wind spell as a super jumping ability. Even once dodged the BBEG's attack with a Contingencied Gust of Wind aimed at the floor. That was a fun fight.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    It doesn't. Some D&D-based games allow it to be combustible explicitly (DDO, for example), but given that there is in fact a higher level spell somewhere (Sor/Wiz 2, I believe, but I don't recall the name) that is basically "grease that ignites if you want it to" some DMs figure it's a good reason to nerf grease.
    Incendiary slime, from Complete Mage. And I don't view making grease inflammable as a nerf at all. It's more of a buff than anything, as 9 times out of 10 when fire damage is being tossed around my grease spells, I would rather keep the effects of grease in play rather than have it converted into 1d3 fire damage for 2 rounds.

It also makes it safe to grease the dwarf, as the kids are apparently calling it these days.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

I've long wanted to play a cleric who casts Harm, bad guy is reduced to 1 hit point, then cast Cause Minor Wound.
    Alas that only worked in 3e. 3.5e nerfed it.

• I've summoned an unseen servant underneath the opening under a cheap locked door. Had him open it from the inside.
    • I put my shrink item spell on a (caster level) day cycle so I'm carrying (caster level) shrunken items all the time for only 1 spell slot. Then I load up on random huge stuff from the player's handbook.
    • Level 3 scrolls of tenser's floating disk make good emergency stretchers and a good way to carry random things you find too.
    • Wand of augury to play 20 questions on the current plot point.
    • Reduce person to buff the rogue. +2 to both hit and AC from a level 1 spell.
    • Swift fly on a sorcerer for when you can't be bothered to lose a single standard action to fly. Cast it again and again.
    • Round 1 of fight for the macguffin: Levitate the macguffin out of enemy reach. Finish the rest of the fight at a leisurely pace against whichever foe you wish to engage. Ally in trouble? Levitate him too, at range; who needs a healer? Enemy flying away? Levitate flying ally for a 20 foot head start. Dungeon obstacle? The strongest party member becomes a human elevator for the whole party. I used to think it was fly-lite to briefly provide a weak option until you can get the real thing, but it can do so much that fly can't (except the elevator).
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-10-03 at 02:47 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    I wonder whose job it is to look through all the other spells and determine whether or not their effects overlap with Prestidigitation's. I also wonder what would happen if your character had consistently been using Prestidigitation to make items taste bad (but not to the point of forcing a save vs. Nausea) and then learned of the existence of the Horrible Taste spell.
    As you point out here, Horrible Taste is a spell that forces a save or become nauseated. Using Prestidigitation to cause something to taste horrible is not the same. Note that the effects of the spell aren't copied by this use of Prestidigitation.

Myself, I am thinking that the next time my character is present when a new cask of beer is tapped, a little Prestidigitation to make the first mug taste bad might just leave me the only customer willing to pay (half-price of course) to drink the rest of the cask.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.