New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hunter's IC

1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: Hunter's IC

Baran wakes up, but remains hidden between the branches. His experience had taught him that with hulging giants like this one it's better to use the element of suprise, whenever you have it. He will observe, but is ready to jump if man is dangerous or agressive.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Thargs eyes flash silver for just a second, before a look of understanding flashes across his face. He widens his stance and sidles a few inches to the left.

Spoiler
    Show
    manifest precognitition defensive to gain +1 to ac and saves for 2 mins.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Illyvion just nods at Judith, then at Tharg and then seeks to conceal himself again, bow at a ready:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide - (1d20+9)[25]
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Willem snaps to a sitting position in his tree tent at the sound of the whistle and clutches his bow. He nocks and peers down below for a target. When he sees Tharg at first, he trains an arrow at his chest, but then realizes that he's not the threat when the others don't seem to be attacking. After hearing Tharg's introduction, he decides to look about for another threat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready: Attack against any foe charging from the direction Tharg appears to have come from (1d20+5)[8]
    Spot: (1d20)[13] (do I get an advantage for being in a tree?)
    Still hiding in my tree tent.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

The alarms continue to ring out their song as shapes take form in the mist. Shadowed shapes of beings begin to peer through the mist. Two flank the image of Tharg from ten feet out at either of his sides. A third coming up directly behind him. His shape not visible until he is only about five feet from Tharg.

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise round for the party.

Any enemy more than 5' from you has partial concealment (20% miss chance) due to the fog. Any enemy more than 10' away has total concealment (50% miss chance)

Last edited by Azoth; 2013-01-12 at 01:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you only get a standard action in a surprise round, or can you do a move and attack?
    initiative if needed (1d20+5)[6]

Judith, close to the barbarian in order to inspect his lack of wounds, takes a quick swipe at one of the flanking forms with her father's Masterwork glaive, Foehew.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Tharg is T, I would be J, E for enemy
    xxxExxx
    xExTxEx
    xxJxxxx
    CAMP
    Is what I think the map would look like? you said they're 10 feet away?

At any rate: (1d20+5)[12] Attack roll with glaive
    (1d10+3)[6] dmg
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharg swings his sword as hard as he can at the form closest to him. With a furious shout he brings his glittering red blade around in a sweeping blow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attacking the one that is 5 feet away.
    attack (1d20+6)[26]
    damage (2d6+15)[27]
    PA for 3

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry for double post, but crit confirmation! which means an auotmatic hit! if i get the x2 i think we might see some chunky salsa on thargs first attack

(1d20+6)[22]

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Willem attempts to understand what he's looking at. There are many shadows in the woods... most of them won't get hurt by mere arrows. He thinks to himself as he strains his eyes to pierce the dark and fog.

Knowledge Check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+9)[29]
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+9)[12]
    Geography: (1d20+9)[11]
    History: (1d20+9)[25]
    Nature: (1d20+11)[24]

to better understand what I'm fighting.

Ready Attack in case Willem's attacked in the meantime.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-01-12 at 02:52 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

10. - Top - End - #190

Illyvion raises his hand and a spray of prismatic colors shoots out, hitting any enemies he can while avoiding Tharg.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharg's massive frame twists and the glint of his blade is barely noticed by the enemy before him. A sharp howl escapes it lips before the blade passes completely through his form. As top topple from bottom a massive spray of blood bathes Tharg's torso. It feels warm against the cold of night.

Judith's swing passes nothing but mist. The enemy having caught its howl through the wind just in time to duck under its fierce strike. He lost only a few mangy hairs to her sharp blade.

Illyvion turns from his treetop perch and lets loose a massive burst of colors towards Tharg that seem to dazzle even the massive brute and Judith for a moment as the bright colors dance in the mist. The enemy caught between the allies illuminated for a moment as a dark shadow against a backdrop of rainbow. His eyes unfocused and his body unable to move.

Just as things seem to going well for the group Fenrir's howl can be heard at the back of the camp. While none can see him this howl is definitely one of pain. It is soon followed by a fierce bark. His tongue forgetting the words of man now in this moment of anger.

12. - Top - End - #192

Judging it's too dangerous to use bow in this illumination, Illyvion drops it and draws his Scythe while jumping down from the tree and rushes to engage the adversary closest to him.

While running, he yells
    Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Somebody needs to check out what is happening with Fenris!"

He then brings his Scythe to bear upon the enemy in front of him:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To Hit - (1d20+8)[19] Damage - (2d4+6)[12] (Inspiration point used for each, 4/6 remaining)
    Critical Confirmation - (1d20+8)[26] Damage - (6d4+18)[29]

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Drop the Bow.
    Move Action: Jump down from the tree and draw Scythe while moving, move to I7.
    Standard Action: Attack HG2 with Scythe

All this assuming he doesn't notice anybody else closer while coming down from the tree and moving towards his opponent. Worth noting that as an Elf, Illyvion also has Low-Light Vision.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2013-01-19 at 10:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Illyvion makes his approach expertly through the swirling mist towards the blinded foe his dazzling display lit up seconds before. The mist swirling as he approaches, his scythe slicing through the mist with a deathly howl. At the last second he notices the hob goblin's ears twitch and his trusted blade meets the hard resistance of a shield. A few sparks spray between the two as the blade scrapes over the shield eliciting a howl like nails on a chalk board. The blade finding tender flesh as it pulls free of the enemy defense. Tender flesh giving way to bone as the blade sends a chunk of his enemy's ear and scalp flying before finishing its deadly arc.

Baran joins with a gout of fire blasting in from the side. The flames licking at the flesh of the already wounded foe. Illyvion can feel his hairs standing on end about to ignite themselves from the closeness of the intense flames. His sense of smell readily assaulted by the scent of burning fats and hair. Parts of the hobgoblin smouldering infront of him. For a brief second he can see the wound his scythe inflicted, and that it no longer bleeds.

Judith's enemy smirks with rotten teeth unseen as a small flame flickers into existence behind her. Hoping to use this light and distraction to his advantage he steps in closer. His blade thrusting out for her stomach with tangible malice. Hoping to run her through, and seeming to bypass any form of protection the fair sister wears over her form as if he could fulfill his desire to feel hilt against flesh.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift Action: Distracting Ember Boost into H8
    Move Action: 5' step into E8
    Standard Action: Emerald Razor strike
    Miss Chance (miss on a 1): (1d5)[1]
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[12]
    Crit Conformation(19-20):(1d20+6)[23]
    Crit Damage: (2d8+18)[28]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharg roars in fury at the hobgoblin closest to Judith, the steam from his breath mixing with the the steam rising from the blood that covered his body. He takes a leaping step and loops his blade around towards the beasts face. The muscles in his arms and chest bulge as he puts as much force behind it as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step to g7
    attack (1d20+6)[20]
    damage (2d6+15)[17]
    crit confirm (1d20+6)[17]
    crit damage (2d6+15)[23]
    miss on a one unless i crit (1d5)[3]

maybe a serrated falchion was a bad choice for a low op game....
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2013-01-19 at 08:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharg's roar seems to echo over the screams of pain coming from the goblin that Illyvion and Baran are...keeping entertained. This goblin seems better prepared for Tharg than his first foe. The looping slash for his face is met with a well practiced lean getting his face clear of the carnage of Tharg's might. His lean isn't enough though, as the blade continues its arc slipping between his chest and the chain shirt that hangs loosely from him. A high metallic ring pierces the air as several rings give way to the force of the attack. Blood begins to spill from the links like a stream once a dam has been burst. The sound of bouncing metal on hard dirt the only noise to escape this foe.

The hobgoblin facing down the masters of flame and illusion can sense he is not fairing well. His sight gone, but his body is now atleast responding to his commands. With a motion of his blade making a tight arc around his injured body, he seems to vanish from sight. As if some phantasm that was never there to begin with. He no longer stands before you, but not even the sound of shifting grass betrays where he has left to.

Off in the distance sounds of Fenrir's fight travel well, and do not sound well for the massive beast. The ferocious bark heard seconds ago is replaced with a massive howl. Just as when he first ambushed the group. A sign of his intent still in recent memory for the group. Then come the sounds of shouting and pained whimpers like a pup being beaten for some misdeed.

The only clue to the fight now is the sound of an arrow flying through the camp. Its screech halted by a thick bush then a flash of flame as the entire offending plant goes up. Its fire burning brightly as if it might spread out to the rest of the wood given chance.
    Last edited by Azoth; 2013-01-20 at 04:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Willem observes the battle closely from his high perch. The battle with the hobgoblins seem to be going well enough. He nods at Illyvion's command and decides to trust his team.

Slinging his bow over his shoulder, he gauges the distance to the next tree. He crouches low, muttering a quiet prayer to any god that might be listening, and musters all his strength to spring outward like a flying squirrel, reaching for the next tree.

Willem covers his head as he crashes through the leaves and limbs, then wraps his arms around the neighboring tree trunk until his feet solidly rest on a sturdy enough branch. Wasting no time to celebrate his victory, Willem scouts the last known location of Fenrir for signs of trouble, drawing his bow simultaneously.

@DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The map shows no one around Fenrir. In the OOC, I spot for 9 and listen for 13. Do I see or hear him? If so, is he under attack? If so, is it safe to fire (is the enemy creature occupying his square?)

Oh yeah, still hiding:
    Hide (1d20+8)[16] minus whatever penalties I took for flying through the air like George of the Jungle.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Hang in there, Fenrir..." he whispers as he strains to see the silhouettes in the dark. Willem lines up a shot and fires at the closest and most discernible shadow.

Remain Action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[6]
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Judith maneuvers herself to the side of the creature engaged with Tharg. She hopes it is distracted enough to open its defenses to her polearm. Seeing her chance, she makes a wide overhead slash, aiming for the neck of the creature.

Unfortunately, she telegraphs the strike too much, and her enemy effortlessly avoids Foehew's descent. Judith hisses through clenched teeth, but hopes she at least gave the huge warrior a chance to end its life with that huge, serrated blade of his.

Spoiler
    Show
    step to f9
    attack with glaive (1d20+5)[9]
    on hit (1d10+3)[4] dmg
    miss on a 1 (1d5)[2]
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2013-01-21 at 01:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

Illyvion quickly analyses his opponent. Based on the the goblin's vanishing he recognizes as an esoteric skill Shadowmasters use, and his approximate capabilities in this weather he creates an approximation.

Draconic
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He can't be far! He can only move where he can see and the distance is short in this fog! If he's not making noise he did not move. Hunt him down, approximate 30' distance from his last location."
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2013-01-21 at 04:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

As Illyvion sees his opponent disappear, he runs quick calculations in his mind. Judging that Judith and Tharg should be able to overpower the remaining hobgoblin handily, he springs to chase. He determines the only direction where the hobgoblin could disappear from everyone's sight at the moment is by shifting downwards. Conveniently, this is where he wants to go anywhere, to get closer to the camp.

Like a shadow of death flying through the fog, and Illyvion quickly enough gleans sight of his wounded enemy. Seeking to capitalize on the advantage he brings the scythe down in a wide arc, as if to reap the enemy.

Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Move downwards until enemy is visible, then move to J9.
    Standard Action: Attack with Scythe using Inspiration on both, To Hit and Damage.

Miss Chance - Over 20 hits - (1d100)[30]
    Attack Roll - (1d20+8)[19] Possible Crit Confirmation - (1d20+8)[15]
    Damage - (2d4+6)[11] Critical Damage - (6d4+18)[34]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin facing Judith and Tharg lets out a rasping breath as he slides a hand up to the broken links of his armor. A brief curse escaping his lips as the bloodied hand slips back to his longsword. He draws it back and lets loose a wide swing that almost seems to hurl his entire body into a spin that should topple him. Through some miracle of skill, he keeps his feet and the heavy attack seems like it won't stop even if it were to cut Judith in half.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action: Steel Wind Strike

Attack at Judith: (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]
    Crit confirmation(19-20):(1d20+7)[21]
    Crit Damage: (2d8+6)[16]
    Miss Chance (miss on 1): (1d5)[5]

Attack at Tharg: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]
    Crit confirmation(19-20):(1d20+7)[27]
    Crit Damage: (2d8+6)[15]
    Miss Chance (miss on 1): (1d5)[1]

Illyvion's blade elicits a surprised gasp from his foe. His shield rises and takes the blow. His arm being pushed flat against his body with the force of the blow. A sharp hiss escapes lips as he turns and pushes the blade away from himself with some effort.

Baran jumps down from his perch and begins a hunt for enemies. Since none are in his sight, he heads towards the closest sounds of battle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Double Move Action: Move to E6

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharg saw where the blade was going to be before the hobgoblin even knew he was going to swing it. Tharg twists his body out of the way and as he does so he brings his blade around aiming for the beasts neck. Throwing all his weight into the blow, he tries to the the things head off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack crit on 17-20 (1d20+6)[21]
    damage (2d6+15)[23]
    crit conf (1d20+6)[21]
    miss on a 1 (1d5)[3]

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin fighting Illyvion takes his opening as the heavy scythe blow is pushed away. His blade rises level as his shield is tucked in. A ready look on his face as he retreats closer to reinforcements. His defenses leaving no opening.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full round action: Withdraw to J12

For Willem as he is the only one close enough to see what is going on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fenrir is trying to run, but some force is keeping him from making any progress. Every time he tries to move you can see him being pulled farther back losing his ground and becoming harder to see.

The hobgoblin shadows in the mist move and duck as they thrust blows at Fenrir eliciting pained howls from him. A quick flash of fire reveals the smiling faces of enemies and a singed and bloody Fenrir held in a net.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Now that his advantage of surprise is lost, Willem jumps from the tree, dropping his bow in the process, and draws his throwing axe as he skirts around the campfire.

Reaching out with his right hand, he snags the net and stretches a portion of it away from Fenrir, then sweeps down for a clean chop at the net. "We have to get you out of here!" He shouts to Fenrir.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump Down (DC 15): (1d20+6)[9]
    Move to HI,12 (Just north of the campfire.)
    Sunder Net:
    Attack: (1d20+1)[13] vs DC 3 (10+Size Mod+DEX of 0-2 to AC for being inanimate) -4 to attack for Sunder included.
    Damage: (1d6+2)[5] vs. Hardness ? HP 5
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Willem's swing slices a hole in the net as Fenrir rears on his hind legs scratching at the net with nails causing it to fall off of him. The net slide back out of sight as the giant's strength no longer has a counter. As the net vanishes an arrow whistles and embeds into Fenrir before snapping and bathing the wolf in flames.

The hobgoblin closest Fenrir turns and sees the beast free before raising a call.

Those who speak goblin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Regroup! The beast is free! He has friends!

He looks for the one who freed Fenrir, and seeing a shadow across the fire smiles. He turns and lobs a small bag at Willem. Should it hit, Willem is in for a nasty surprise.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack roll against Touch AC: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: Entanglement
    Side effect: DC15 Ref save or be unable to move until dealing 15 points of slashing damage to goo.
    Duration: (2d4)[5] rounds
    Miss Chance(less than 50): (1d100)[52]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Flee Fenrir! And forgive me!" He shouts as the sticky glue splashes against his clothing, he leaps aside in time to prevent the ooze from gluing him to the floor, but he can feel the ichor hardening on him, slowing his movement even as the grinning hobgoblins close in on him.

Defiantly, he spits at the nearest hobgoblin, hoping to keep their wrath fixed on him and away from Fenrir.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

"It's over! " Judith says, swinging her glaive once again. Her holy nimbus of light burns brightly in the fog.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, time to die, guy.
    (1d20+5)[23] on hit (1d10+3)[6]
    Miss chance if my nimbus doesn't eliminate the fog miss on a 1 (1d5)[3]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

As Judith's blade sinks into the goblin's flesh, he smiles and lashes out with his own blade. He knows that regardless of its outcome he is dead, but he plans to take her with him. As his blade flies, it ignites in a wreath of flames swirling with a palpable hatred for Judith and Tharg.

Spoiler
    Show

Immediate Action: Fire Repost Counter
    Attack Against Touch AC: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (4d6)[20] Fire Damage
    Miss chance (less than 20): (1d100)[95]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

As the goblin dies, Judith spares a glance to the man who helped her kill it. "Haven't seen that one before," she says in a steady voice.

30. - Top - End - #210

Illyvion witnesses first his adversary's retreat and then the mess that follows; axes cutting the darkness, howling, hobgoblin voice yelling commands and the scene that follows.

Like a shadow, he follows his target but already takes his right hand off the scythe and begins drawing arcane markings in the air during his approach.

Giant
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Fenrir, you're free! Clear the way, I will use magic. Move towards me next to the wounded hobgoblin, hurry!"

Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Move to J12.
    Standard Action: Ready action to cast Color Spray at the 3 Hobgoblins after Fenrir has acted; whether he moves away or not is immaterial, he has been given the chance.

Defensive Casting - (1d20+5)[24]