New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default [pf] Please Help My Sorc

Ok guys, I really need some help. I normally run the PF game for my group(which has 5 pc's and myself) For once someone else is going to run a game. However, this guy is a huge pain in my ass. He goes out of his way to ruin the story lines of other people. I.E. deflowering the kings daughter and framing an npc. He went so far as to dominate the main female PC and made her do...terrible things in public and got her arrested and executed. This guy has a horrible streak that I can't ever deal with. I have talked to him and stuff and the main reason is that he is family with one of my other players and not a whole lot I can do.

So here is what I ask of you playgrounders.....I get to the be the sorc in his game. we are going from 1-15ish. I want to break his game in every way I know how. I'm quite clever and resourceful as a spell caster, but an infant when compared to some of the things i've read on here.

20 pt buy for stats. I need help optimizing to the extreme. Spells, feats, bloodline, race...even a breakdown of what I should do with said things. Please. I really really really want to screw this guys game over with regard to encounters and stuff. I wont do to him what he did to me unless it calls for it. so please help me by making it clear that my PC will crush everything he has unless he does something he promised he wouldn't do (like dropping a god on us at level 6)

Offering cookies, my soul, sexual favors, whatever you want...just help me!(Virtual cookies of course)
    Last edited by Exirtadorri; 2012-10-09 at 08:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [pf] Please Help My Sorc

Solving out of character problems with in character shenanigans is usually a terrible idea. It just leads to sore feelings, especially if the rest of the group is actually interested in playing. If you really can't stand this guy, just sit out this campaign and tell them you'll join in the next one.

...I'd totally help anyway but I'm a bit notorious for making incredibly weak characters. I really like draconic sorcerers for the Dragon Disciple prestige class, but that's mostly because I want lightning to come out of my face.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can see what you mean about it being a terrible idea, however, I have been DMing for almost a year straight. I'm not going to miss the chance to be a pc with thoughts and motivations and choices. I have lovingly crafted so many npcs that just get ****** in the face and *** sprayed all over their faces that i'm raging at the thought.

I can respect the theme but weak. I do that quite often

"Jacob, what good is a wizard with a 20 str and all buff spells when there are classes made for that?"

"STFU I can kill you at least..."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by PaperMustache View Post
    Solving out of character problems with in character shenanigans is usually a terrible idea. It just leads to sore feelings, especially if the rest of the group is actually interested in playing. If you really can't stand this guy, just sit out this campaign and tell them you'll join in the next one.
    She's right. Well if you want to ignore good advice and are set on breaking game and creating real-world interpersonal problems... Consider playing a wizard. Or Mailman.
    Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2012-10-09 at 09:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I understand that she is right. However is want a little revenge after a year of getting slammed such a terrible thing? Not all of us are lawful good.

As far as the mailman goes....thanks foe the link but its pf only

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, don't listen to these guys. If you want to get even through powergaming that's your right as a person superior to the person you are getting even with.

The big question is, are you restricted to official PF material? Otherwise your best friend is called DEX based casting and a +6 dex race to go with that thanks to our good friend called 3rd party.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Exirtadorri View Post
    I understand that she is right. However is want a little revenge after a year of getting slammed such a terrible thing? Not all of us are lawful good.
    Well it could become troublesome. Well I don't know you, I don't know the situation and it could work out just fine... But I got impression it never does.

I'm not very familiar with this "revenge" thing so feel free to ignore my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Exirtadorri View Post
    As far as the mailman goes....thanks foe the link but its pf only
    Ah I didn't notice it's PF only. Are you set on sorcerer or would you consider some other classes?

8. - Top - End - #8

GreenSorcererElf

Get in a pissing war with a jerk who likes ruining stuff and you will be making LESS choices, not more.

I'd make yourself a nice flexible character and focus your attention on demanding this guys relative keep him in line.

Causing trouble for the DM just means he will instantly revert to being a jerk, and you'll ruin any chance of a fun game for your friends.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ive talked to all the other players and they actually support this idea.

Im restricted to official pf stuff

I am completely ok with another class or whatever as long as it is a caster. We are allowed to use optional rules like words of power and what not.

I heavily considered the generalist to just handle whatever but you cant optimize a generaliat as much. Yes there ia batman but its much harder in pf.

Thanks ao far for the comments and opinions. I really do enjoy them. Keep them coming

10. - Top - End - #10

Meh - i won't lecture you.

So, apparently one of the better builds people are talking about is going half-orc sorcerer (elemental (Fire)/dragon (red) crossblooded), taking favored class (Wizard) and going like 1 sorc/19 wizard (evoker), and take the feats from the pathfinder srd like Elemental Focus or whatever its called, and take magical lineage (burning hands) + intensify + spell specialization. Your max damage with burning hands becomes 9d4 without having to change its spell level, and your favored-class benefit for being a wizard as a half-orc is bonus fire damage I believe. Elemental fire bloodline arcana gives you +1 damage per damage die, as does elemental focus (fire). Needless to say, you will be packing quite the nasty punch. The beautiful part is, with elemental bloodline, you can turn ANY elemental spell into a fire spell, so you do not need to use your wizard levels to prepare ANY fire spells, you can just keep cone of cold, lightning bolt, etc prepared and turn them into fire for the sudden burst, so you keep good versatility against fire-resistant/immune mobs. And the benefits of being a evocation wizard ontop of it all.

(Not to mention, as a wizard (evocation) 19/sorc 1 build, you can use magic items of wands/staffs of your prohibited schools. Yay loopholes.)

AND magical lineage applies to each metamagic feat you apply to burning hands separately. So +2 for maximize, +1 for empower, +0 for itensify. Needless to say a 4th level spell slot burning hands at caster level 7 and spell specialization (9th caster), you will be dealing 80 damage WITHOUT class/favored class/bloodline/specialized school/feat bonuses.

Also half-orcs gain access to some nice orc/half-orc/human feats, such as Fast Learner (Human only), which gives you 2 favored class benefits each level, +1 Natural Armor (Thick Hide) from half-orc, and take toughness? Youl essentially get +2 hp/level, bonus fire damage, +1 natural armor from your race selection.

I would also suggest the following feats from the srd;

Human Adaptation - It allows you to change a multi-choiced, but permanent decision from your class once per day. You can change from being an Evoker to a Transmuter to a Necromancer on the fly. You can also change your arcane bond.

If you go arcane bloodline;

Arcane-Born Sorcery (Metamagic)
    You have embraced your talent for metamagic.
    Prerequisite: Arcane bloodline sorcerer
    Benefit: Choose one metamagic feat. A number of times per day equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier you can reduce the spell slot adjustment for this feat by one level with a minimum effective level of the spell’s actual level.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times, but you must select a different metamagic feat each time.

This stacks with both magical lineage, and the benefits a arcane sorcerer gets for reducing meta magic feat/spell costs. Making arcane sorcerers some of the most powerful potential "mailmen" of the setting when you can cast a maximized, empowered, intensified meteor storm, considering none of these reductions state any limits to spell level/minimum adjustment/etc. In fact, magical lineage has been proven to be flawed by allowing a +0 metamagic feat to make a spell cost ONE LESS level then normal - and is horribly broken if combined with a 3.5 feat, Fel Weaken, which gives 1 negative level as a Zap Trap cantrip (no save, no hit, just 1 damage + 1 negative level). Considering that cantrips in pathfinder can be cast forever and ever...

(Please note that magical lineage allows you to pick any 1 spell as the spell it effects, not a spell you currently know or can cast. So you can easily select a 2-9rd level spell, so just go with what you want to roll with the most like fireball)

And that is all I got. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2012-10-09 at 11:39 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Maybe go for a Orc Scarred Witch Doctor, http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-...ctor-witch-orc, going

str. 18
    dex. 16
    con. 18
    int. 5
    wis. 5
    cha. 5

And take it from there googling a Witch guide. Don't forget to put your age at the treshold so when you get the spell that allows you to ignore a age penalty you conviently have a birthday and up all your mental stats to 6. You have good survivability and can use strength to do stuff early on until the real casting advantage kicks in.
    Last edited by Zerter; 2012-10-09 at 11:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jane.....that iz so wonderful i could kiss you thank you

13. - Top - End - #13

Oh, and don't forget Finding Haleen!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What do you mean?

15. - Top - End - #15

Remember: You want to max intelligence, not charisma. You want like 11 charisma to use your cantrips/1st level sorcerer spells, and you want the sorc spells to be true strike (for touch spells later), omen casting (+1 dc to next spell you cast if the last one you cast was resisted cantrip), true casting, resistance, etc. Sorc is only for the bloodline powers so do not bother getting anything that will rely on a high charisma.

You will want to max int and dex. Many of your best spells will want to use touch attacks, to avoid rogue evasion/improved invasion, so true strike, weapon focus (ranged touch), gloves of dexterity 2-6, etc will be a must as you level up to fight those pesky rogues and there uber-reflex saves. Save stuff like burning hands for idiot fighters who get up close or a swarm of goblins.

Lastly - the "any element" to fire thing ironically works for magic missile as well, and while it does less damage then burning hands and you never want to use intensify/spell specialization on it, keep it in mind at earlier levels for an auto-hit source of fire damage to gain all your bonus damage effects on.

Oh, and get improved initiative, because 20+ dex just is not enough. You want to rub it in your dm's face your going first, PERIOD, and there is not a damned thing he can do to stop you from melting his pets.

Go on brother - Crush your dm, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2012-10-09 at 11:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

17. - Top - End - #17

WAIT SO YOU GET 4 FAVORED CLASS BENEFITS WITH THAT TRAIT + FAST LEARNER?! "+1 hp/+1 skill point over and above what you normally get" and "you gain 2 benefits instead of 1" so... w ... t.... f....

Please tell me i am reading these wrong before I find me a legacy of fire game and bring an apocalypse to real life from the sheer level of broken this is.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2012-10-09 at 12:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Oh I just realized, you should start as wizard, not sorcerer, so you can actually start with a free spellbook/spells known. If you go sorcerer first, and later go into wizard, the dm is not likely to just go "here, a spellbook with 1st level spells/etc appears". Don't give him an inch to deny you.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

If you can turn all your spells to fire descriptor, you might want to go with burning Grasp, Aka Shocking Grasp. Then take the feat Reach Spell, that will allow you to do 10d6 damage plus with the Half Orc gives you. Plus with the chance of doing a crit.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Hold on -- the half-orc favored class bonus on fire damage is for Sorc, not Wizard. Wizards just get a bonus to concentration checks from taking damage while casting (which, well, should never happen, so it's not a great bonus to take). That changes the build significantly.

Elemental Focus (fire) doesn't add damage, just increases the DC.

Magical Lineage applies to the final spell level, not to each metamagic adjustment.

Also, magic missile does force damage, which is not energy damage. Energy damage includes acid, cold, fire, electricity, and sonic.

21. - Top - End - #21

Its Energy Boost (Fire), my bad. Off-course feat found on the pathfinder srd. If the gm says anything on the srd/pathfinder, your still good to go.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2012-10-10 at 07:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you so much guys and gals! So apart from a halforc roaster are there any other really poqerful PF only arcane builds?

23. - Top - End - #23

Well as stated before, there is an amazing feat for arcane-bloodline sorcerers I showed above. It allows you to use metamagic with increasingly stupid ease. Instead of that, you could always go gnome fey bloodline sorcerer and mindrape everyone and everything. Only real problem with that is, undead/etc, a common enemy type, can be thrown at you and you won't be able to deal with them by yourself at low levels.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mindrape....

This is exirtadorri and i approve this message