New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1509
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing IV: The Decanter of Endless Bad Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy79 View Post
    * If my 3rd level wizard is able to get the killing critical hit - with a weapon that they didn't even wield - there's a problem.
    Funny story: In the past eight levels as a Wizard in 3.5, exactly three times have I, upon figuring that an enemy is one round tops from death, decided to shoot it with my crossbow instead of wasting a spell. All three of those times I scored a fatal critical hit.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing IV: The Decanter of Endless Bad Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Funny story: In the past eight levels as a Wizard in 3.5, exactly three times have I, upon figuring that an enemy is one round tops from death, decided to shoot it with my crossbow instead of wasting a spell. All three of those times I scored a fatal critical hit.
    I had a sorcerer in one game, he went the entire campaign without using his rapier (which he was only proficient with because he was an elf). He was so disgusted when he ended up having to kill the last enemy of the campaign with a weapon instead of magic.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    **** Religious characters are not allowed to know inordinate amounts of information about anything even slightly military or violent in nature.
    *5 No, I may not play a cleric or paladin of Tempus, Red Knight, or any other deity of war or strategy.

If I chose to give my character an intelligence of 5, I will play him as an idiot.
    *I will not play a character with an intelligence of 5.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Troll in the Playground

Even if he's Lawful Good, can make practically any save, has really high AC and hp, and is equipped with Wings of Flying, my Paladin is not Superman.

5. - Top - End - #1205

Quote Originally Posted by QuidEst View Post
    Even if he's Lawful Good, can make practically any save, has really high AC and hp, and is equipped with Wings of Flying, my Paladin is not Superman.
    **And the rogue can't be batman.
    ***Neither can the wizard.
    ****The Druid can be aquaman.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WyvernLord View Post
    **And the rogue can't be batman.
    ***Neither can the wizard.
    ****The Druid can be aquaman.
    5* The paladin can be Thor though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    5* The paladin can be Thor though.
    6* The Paladin and Cleric may not use trial-by-combat to decide who gets to be Thor.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    6* The Paladin and Cleric may not use trial-by-combat to decide who gets to be Thor.
    *As a Rouge, cannot ambush the winner and declare MYSELF Thor.
    *Not to yell "team three star!" when I do it, too.
    *If I can do this to the actual deified thor, I deserve the title: but I'm still not allowed to do it.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    *As a Rouge, cannot ambush the winner and declare MYSELF Thor.
    **If I attempt this, I should not be surprised when everyone claims that I'm actually Loki…
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Banned

Goblin

* My character did not learn how to walk on hot coal from masters Savage and Heineman.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    That's pretty funny!

Story behind my post: The ranger shot the BBEG, critically hitting it. My turn came around and I cast Enlarge on the arrow. Anyone remember those lovely 2E critical hit charts? :P

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy79 View Post
    That's pretty funny!

Story behind my post: The ranger shot the BBEG, critically hitting it. My turn came around and I cast Enlarge on the arrow. Anyone remember those lovely 2E critical hit charts? :P
    Enlarge worked that way in 2e?

..... *CUE INSANE LAUGHTER*

*Not to raid orcs-must-die for ideas to trap dungeons with.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

**Or Oglaf.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

14. - Top - End - #1214

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    **Or Oglaf.
    So you're not going to paint "Overthinking" on a dungeon wall?

15. - Top - End - #1215

Devil

(Below is made up, but I'm thinking of this scenario for my current backup character, less as a "this might actually play out thing" and more of a "this is how my character would act" thing. I find a fleshed-out backup character that I've shared with the DM is a good way to keep my current character from dying. It's either an "It doesn't rain if you bring an umbrella" thing or a "There is NO WAY the DM is letting THAT into his game" thing.)

* Wizards are to spend their int-based skill points on USEFUL skills. Profession: Interior Designer does not count.
    ** Am not to interrupt the BBEG's monologue to critique his lair's tapestries.
    *** Or throw rug.
    *** Or lighting scheme.
    *** Or throne.
    *** Or wardrobe.
    ** Lose the lisp, already.
    ** When thrown into a dark, dank, dismal tower dungeon after a humiliating defeat, doomed to be executed in horrific fashion on the morrow if we fail to escape, the operative terms are "defeat, dungeon, execution, escape". "Dank dark and dismal" are NOT the correct words to focus my attention on.
    *** The dungeon's color scheme does not constitute cruel and unusual punishment, nor would the BBEG care if it did.
    **** He certainly would not be moved by my attempts to "spruce up the place" to drop all charges and hire us on.
    **** "PASTELS!" is NOT a viable escape plan.
    *** Installing stained glass windows overlooking the moat should NOT be my priority. I should be focused on escaping.
    **** Okay, FINE, with an ungodly-good roll I could do it without tools, but I'd need materials and...
    ***** No longer allowed to put that many ranks into Profession: Interior Designer.
    ***** No longer allowed to loot stained glass windows.
    ***** No longer allowed to store them in the rogue's hidden Bag of Holding which the guards missed.
    *** ONCE AGAIN, installing a stained glass window was NOT a viable escape plan, and I should NOT have wasted the party's limited time engaged in such a trivi--

**** It is NOT against my alignment to allow the barbarian to break the cell's stained glass window as a means of escape.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

16. - Top - End - #1216

DrowGuy

i've got a boatload of new bans (as usual). the most "out-there" one however is this one:

*i'm not allowed to play a luck-bringing white pig.
    **i'm not allowed to counteroffer playing as the easter bunny
    ***i can choose a shape-shifter as base race. yes, it's a phookah... i'm not allowed to help the dm explain why i'm playing a 5 foot tall rabbit, with monocle and top hat. with an odd hobby of painting eggs.
    ****i'm however banned to go questing for an ostrich egg.

and if anyone is interested in this system, it's called castle falkenstein, where giant bunnies are better pugilists than dapper belle époque gentlemen!
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

17. - Top - End - #1217

WolfInSheepsClothing

*Whilst posting to the fora, one should look up the definitions of "rouge" and "rogue" before using either word.

18. - Top - End - #1218

SwashbucklerGuy

* I may not insist on playing "Hard Mode" by playing as a Samurai with the Vow of Poverty.
    ** Nor may I take Vow of Purity when playing in a world infested with undead.
    *** Especially if I have both Vow of Purity and Vow of Poverty, meaning I can't carry around Holy Water to purify myself after every battle.
    **** I may not take the entire Sacred Vow chain with any of the following: Ranger, Scout, Rogue, Fighter, Samurai, Artificer, Wizard…
    ***** You know what, no Vows

** I may not play "Expert Hard Mode" by playing a Truenamer with the entire Sacred Vow chain.
    *** I may not proceed to become the most effective member of the party…
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

19. - Top - End - #1219

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    ** I may not play "Expert Hard Mode" by playing a Truenamer with the entire Sacred Vow chain.
    *** I may not proceed to become the most effective member of the party…
    ****by doing the following, i will have broken math. guess what? no breaking math allowed

seriously though, how can you pull that off? are you so unoptimized you come out overoptimized?
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Particularly as the only way to REALLY max-out truespeak is with the item familiar you can't acquire...
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2013-04-08 at 06:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1221

SwashbucklerGuy

I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know. However, if the rest of the party is really unoptimized…

Oh, and I'm sure that with the various buffs from the Vows, you might be able to play a bit more physical than normal… maybe.
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2013-04-07 at 10:26 PM.

*It does.*

What.

22. - Top - End - #1222

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    ****by doing the following, i will have broken math. guess what? no breaking math allowed

seriously though, how can you pull that off? are you so unoptimized you come out overoptimized?
    ***** More generally, not allowed to break the DM's brain. (Yes, this rule HAS been made for me, specifically.)
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Spamalot in the Playground

Shadowrun--

• Not allowed to let the team's underaged hacker case a bar for a potential ambush on his own.
    • Not allowed to bet the underaged team hacker that he can't get a date while casing said bar.
    • The team's hacker is not allowed to bring a 14-year old dwarf girl as his "Date" to the safehouse.
    • Double not cool when the 14-year old still constitutes that the hacker is dating an "older woman".

Our hacker got "Gib-Slapped" so hard by the team sniper that his brain rebooted.
    Just as well, the sniper was the one who lost the aforementioned bet.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-04-08 at 07:27 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    * My character did not learn how to walk on hot coal from masters Savage and Heineman.
    **My character did not learn how to [insert any skill or ability] from Mythbusters.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

*I do not activate nimbus of light by clapping twice
    **I may not flicker nimbus on and off to antagonize zombies

*My response to anything the party rogue does is not detect evil
    **my response to walking into a room is not detect evil
    ***no more detect evil

*I'm not allowed to have a +10 to diplomacy at level 2
    **I'm not allowed to touch the book of exalted deeds any more
    ***not allowed to be a palladin
    ****or a monk

26. - Top - End - #1226

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    **My character did not learn how to [insert any skill or ability] from Mythbusters.
    *** Or from MacGyver
    **** Or from James Bond
    ***** Or from Bill Nye
    ****** Or from Mr. Bean
    ******* No more learning skills from TV shows or movies.

*It does.*

What.

27. - Top - End - #1227

I just dug up something from the past from my old thread subscriptions: an old gestalt arena match (brainbreaking begins on page 2). My character was this ungodly thing. I can't remember what rules or insanity resulted in that.

*I am pretty sure I may no longer attempt to abuse Scorpion's Grasp.
    **whether or not the result is actually any good
    Last edited by sleepy; 2013-04-08 at 03:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendarien View Post
    *as a DM I may not make doors that are not trapped or locked.
    ** a door that slides into the wall dose not count as a trap.
    ***even if said door almost kills the whole party.
    ****The supermarket's front door is not a trap.
    *****I will not gain experience from disabling them.
    ******I can not use an ordinary curtain across a hall as a security door, even if the party are so inept at opening doors it stops them dead, for three rounds.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

* Any skill, spell, power, ability or item that inflicts testicular torsion works only once.
    ** Also, prostate cancer.
    *** Also, prion diseases.
    **** Mnem is strongly discouraged from playing any more characters with a medical background.

* The accepted behavior when defeating a powerful opponent which has poisoned a party member is to treat said compatriot's affliction, not harvest the enemy's venom sacs.

* Mnem is never to utter the words "secret Illuminati reptile overlord" ever again, unless her character has taken severe Sanity loss.
    ** ESPECIALLY not as a character concept.

* No one will ever respond positively to the phrase, "Here, hold this for me until we get past the checkpoint". Regardless of Diplomacy rolls. Regardless of natural 20s.

* If Mnem continues to interrogate captives by using her psionic powers to show them their own conception, her alignment will start shifting WAY down.

* Mnem is never again allowed to tailor the sound of her sonic weaponry.
    ** Even - nay, especially - if she provides Youtube sound clips.

* Mnem is no longer allowed to charge onlookers for sneak peeks at the catfolk monk bathing.
    ** Even if she is fully capable of defending herself from the monk's inevitable violent response.
    *** Especially if she still has a good crowd and a Dominate spell prepared.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    I remember having a character try an experiment that I saw on Mythbusters about alternative fuels for cars. I don't remember the details, but the end result was that I accidently set a very expensive BMW on fire.

The GM gave me hell for that one.

• Not allowed to drive an unarmored SUV into a crowd of zombies at high speed.
    • Not allowed to dare a fire elemental into a drinking contest.
    • Not allowed to do my Al Gore impersonation to trick cybermen into thinking I'm one of them.
    • Not allowed to repaint the police box red when traveling to America.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races