New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Old School Everquest - Shards of Dalaya

If anyone has recently been feeling a need for those glory days of old school everquest then you should check out Shards of Dalaya. SoD is an free everquest emulation server. It has been around for almost 10 years with a dedicated development staff. The best part about this nostalgia trip is that SoD has its own custom content totally separate from live.

If anyone is interested here is the link http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/?referrer=rience

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old School Everquest - Shards of Dalaya

Played it for several years, advanced up to about T8 raiding (ToT/Frost on farm, breaking into Iksith raiding).

What you fail to mention is that the GMs are arbitrary and can be rather rude.

I tried to get my fiancée involved in SoD, because she was a huge EQ player back in the day. One of the GM's arbitrarily kept name-nerfing her even though her character's name did not violate SoD's stricter naming conventions, then started with very insulting and derogatory comments to her over it. An appeal to Tao yielded nothing.

When our guild collapsed (White Tees!), I went my separate way.

It is a lot of fun, I will admit, and many of their changes were certainly for the better. Although people used to modern-day MMO's will be quite disappointed by the deliberate lack of a Bazaar/AH.

Mechanically superior to EQ (since they instigated free-to-play I checked it out again), and the lore and storyline is *VASTLY* superior and more internally consistent, but I'm never going back to either one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora