New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Non magical flying fighter build

Hi, im trying to create a front line melee fighter who can fly naturally (not interested in the avian race). The essential idea is a tough guy who flies around with a reach weapon stabbing everyone in the face or launching dive attacks but is equally good at standing still and being a good little meat shileld.

I can't use a level adjustment and I don't know whether going dragonborn and taking wings or dragonwrought kobold is the way to go.

Can kobolds make good fighters and the like even with the racial subs? Should I burn feats on reinforced and heavy wings or just max out dex? Are there any other races that I'm missing? Has anyone played something like this before who can offer advice?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Non magical flying fighter build

Due to your desire for a non-magical means, I assume that you want physical wings on this creatures back.

There are a few ways to obtain this. The better the flying maneuverability, the far better the fly-fighting will be.

Do you want only races that come with wings through natural wings or would you be fine with obtaining wings from grafts? There are some cheap grafts that give you wings, if I remember correctly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

By non magical I mean not an item or spell. A spell like ability would be fine but I'm not aware of one.

Grafts would be cool assuming its something a mid level character could obtain (level 5-7).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Some methods for no LA non-magical flight:
    1) Dragonborn Template.
    2) Any Dragonblooded subtype with Dragonwings and Improved Dragonwings feat. Includes Kobolds, but you can also include various Dragonblooded races such as Silverbrow Human.
    3) Raptoran race (is this what you were referring to as Avian race?)

IIRC the only cheap graft (Feathered Wings) requires you to be evil.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Raptoran (Races of the Wild) get a non-magical fly ability. They even get Fighter substitution levels and the Stormtalon prc which are based around fighting while flying.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Some methods for no LA non-magical flight:
    1) Dragonborn Template.
    2) Any Dragonblooded subtype with Dragonwings and Improved Dragonwings feat. Includes Kobolds, but you can also include various Dragonblooded races such as Silverbrow Human.
    3) Raptoran race (is this what you were referring to as Avian race?)

IIRC the only cheap graft (Feathered Wings) requires you to be evil.
    Doesn't actually require you to be evil, just turns you evil if you're neutral and drives you insane if you're good

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think you will be able to afford the Feathered Wings graft, the cost about 10,000 gp and if you get your will save to the point you can make a DC 15 save on everything; but a 1 you can be exalted (well almost) and still get the wings without turning insane/evil. A Ring of Diamond Mind with Moment of the perfect mind plus some Concentration optimization (full ranks [10], a decent con score [+2] and a masterwork tool [+2]) you can make the save on a 1.

I also suggest a ToB class and fly-by-attack, using a Dragon blooded race and Dragon wings+ Improved Dragon wings. (I suggest a Silverblood Human or maybe a Forestlord elf for access to Eternal Blade).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Make him a Silverbrow human and give him the dragon wings feat.
    Generation 6
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Dragontouched Feat; Almost as bad as "Lichloved"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're interested in PF content, several races can pick up wings through a series of feats since the Advanced Race Guide; off the top of my head, Aasimar and Sylphs (air outsider heritage); your DM might be willing to adapt a similar feat.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Half Fey LA+2, plus you get lots of other SLA goodies.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

There are actually several grafts that get you wings. I prefer Zelekhut Wings, so you don't have to be evil.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    If you're interested in PF content, several races can pick up wings through a series of feats since the Advanced Race Guide; off the top of my head, Aasimar and Sylphs (air outsider heritage); your DM might be willing to adapt a similar feat.
    Or you could just be a Strix and have wings right from level 1.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Something like Barbarian 1/Holy Warrior Paladin of Freedom 4/Hellreaver 10/X* 5 can be a pretty slick build without using spellcasting, using Intimidation feat combos for lockdown, Animal Devotion for flight and rage for damage output (and furious strikes, in rounds that swift actions haven't been used for defense).

*Crusader is probably best, but there are a lot of classes that can fill n the spaces without much trouble - Witch Slayer, Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal, Outcast Champion, Battlerager and Wildrunner work fairly well, and I have to admit a soft spot for Storm Sentinel and Shadow Hunter.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-13 at 02:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The cheapest and fastest way would be the Unseelie Fey template which gives you wings with a speed of twice your base creature's land speed. They have Average maneuverability (which isn't great, but is decent) and it all comes at the cost of (a possibly mislabeled) +0 LA.

Unseelie Fey also gives DR that scales by level and a form of improved vision chosen/rolled from a table.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    The cheapest and fastest way would be the Unseelie Fey template which gives you wings with a speed of twice your base creature's land speed. They have Average maneuverability (which isn't great, but is decent) and it all comes at the cost of (a possibly mislabeled) +0 LA.

Unseelie Fey also gives DR that scales by level and a form of improved vision chosen/rolled from a table.
    Where is this from ?
    It does look like very good value for +0 LA
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

The simplest course would probably be to invent the jetpack. Shouldn't be too hard. I mean, rocket fuel's in the player's handbook right?
    Last edited by Riverdance; 2012-10-13 at 05:35 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for my Avatar

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Where is this from ?
    It does look like very good value for +0 LA
    It's in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. Unseelie Fey doesn't have a listed LA, but the +0 is derived from the example gnome stat block that leaves the creature's LA unchanged from the Monster manual.

As far as looking extraordinarily good for a free template, it is.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-13 at 06:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    It's in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. Unseelie Fey doesn't have a listed LA, but the +0 is derived from the example gnome stat block that leaves the creature's LA unchanged from the Monster manual.

As far as looking extraordinarily good for a free template, it is.
    And nothing in the Errata about it.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook