New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Wild Mage build Advice (3.5)

Hello, I was looking for a build on how to make an effective (but no overpowered) wild mage character, classes, feats, races and all, for my dnd group to have as an encounter/associate, this character will be made at lvl 10, no tome of battle/magic, or dragon magazine. no specific focus, it could be a dread necro, or an illusionist, submit all your ideas/builds!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Wild Mage build Advice (3.5)

Pick your favorite school and go Spellgifted for it. Then take Practiced Spellcaster for a feat. That offsets the penalty from both Spellgifted and Wild Mage.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Pick your favorite school and go Spellgifted for it. Then take Practiced Spellcaster for a feat. That offsets the penalty from both Spellgifted and Wild Mage.
    ^^ Pretty much this. I had a really fun Wild Mage that I loooved. They're not crazy OP, but with Practiced Spellcaster + Spellgifted makes it so you always cast at your CL or more. Beg and plead your DM to get you a Rod of Wonder just because it's crazy fun.

My WMage was a crazy old man (think Fizban from Dragonlance) in his 80's. If he rolled poorly on a knowledge check, he'd just make things up and tell his companions "Ahh, yes.... That's a slinderstack. Very resistant to fire...." Took a lot of Sudden Metamagic feats to go for the whole bursts of brilliance vibe.

Anywho. It's essentially a wizard with a boost to CL if you take the right feats. Optimize it as such (Batman).
    Last edited by mregecko; 2012-10-16 at 01:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    If you want to just be a Generalist Wizard, I recommend just picking up Practiced Spellcaster and hell taking a single level dip in Fighter to enjoy your Copious amounts of feats chaos shuffle fodder.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rod of Wonder is the perfect addition to a Wild Mage, because the roll twice pick system means it will usually do something useful. Now you are some strange chaoslock on top of being a wizard!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Necromancy probably isn't a bad idea. Both because spells like Animate Dead use caster level pretty heavily and because bloating the battlefield with potential Random Deflector targets makes the ability stronger and makes it less likely to annoy the other players.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-16 at 02:29 PM.