New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Song of Ice and Fire RPG

I quite like the system, and I think it works great for the setting, or even other settings with similar themes. I admit, I have yet to play an actual game with it, so maybe there are rules that sound great in theory, but don't actually hold up in reality.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I'm talking about the system by Green Ronin, just occurred to me that there are probably others.
    Last edited by GenPol; 2012-08-24 at 03:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Song of Ice and Fire RPG

I've been running a game with it, it's a pretty solid system but we're having some teething problems just working with a new system. Warfare in particular. But really, it's a great system and I love some of the little touches (we always compare how much gold the players have with how many chickens they can buy, etc)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GenPol View Post
    EDIT: I'm talking about the system by Green Ronin, just occurred to me that there are probably others.
    I think Guardians of Order had a d20 version back in the day.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I will say this; it can't be much worse than the d20 version, which was sloppy. I have actually played both, but the d6 one was a while ago, my general impression being that it was a little too easy to minmax; I would have preferred a lifepath generation system or something instead?

Problems with the d20 version are varied; It really really needed the planned expansion to increase the number of options available, because as it stood, most players ended up taking multiclass combinations of the same five or six classes; far too many of the classes (especially PrCs) were really limited in flavour, most likely disallowing them from most campaigns, meaning it was hard to make a character who was mechanically unique. Armour was redone as damage reduction, which, while seeming more simulationy (and allowing the hit points to be drastically reduced to increase 'lethality'), just lead to stupid situations where two knights in hand-to-hand combat (for instance) couldn't really do any damage to one another, even with the 'finding a weak point' maneuver. Good idea, bad bad implementation. What would probably be better is taking D&D 3.5, and playing that in the SIF setting, obviously less most spellcasters.

Or play the green ronin version.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You could also use Burning Wheel for this, it's actually really well-suited if you strip out the demihumans and magic lifepaths. Heck, if I ran a game in this world, I'd totally use BW.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever tried using the Green Ronin system (I think it's called Chronicle) for games not set in the world of the Song of Ice and Fire?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I'm playing in a SoIaF campaign, and it's awesome. Really like the system. It's nice that a sword hit is so damn lethal and the challenge resolution mechanic is simple and intuitive. The Game of Thrones Edition is a bit better, except for nerfing valyrian steel.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    I'm playing in a SoIaF campaign, and it's awesome. Really like the system. It's nice that a sword hit is so damn lethal and the challenge resolution mechanic is simple and intuitive. The Game of Thrones Edition is a bit better, except for nerfing valyrian steel.
    Yeah, it's pretty lethal. Also I assume you're playing the Dornish? My players are a Dornish house and they always tend to be pretty smug that they're a lot more progressive than the northern houses. UNBOWED UNBENT UNBROKEN.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Do you guys have any idea how one might stat out a dragon?

10. - Top - End - #10

A dragon eats 1d3-1 characters per round and does 5d20 fire damage to everyone he chooses.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Easy.

Hatchling: Causes 1d4 fire damage per round, slain on a single successful attack.

Young: Causes 1d10 fire damage per round, slain on at least two successful attacks.

Adult: You lose.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

My house rules page runs to 2 sheets after 1 session - There's quite a few things which have been overlooked, are unclear or don't seem to work as intended. For example in the first joust I ran where joust defence was 4 times animal handling + riding specialty, the player character could not be hit by many of his opponents and in the later stages he could not hit either. Changed that to 3 time ride for defence and it looked much more like a joust - double hits were not uncommon and often the degree of success mattered.

Also from combat, 2 “Greater actions”: 2 weapon attack and divided attack are too weak to come at cost of a 2nd attack so: 2 weapon attack also gives +”off hand” on attack and doesn't remove defensive value, divided attack increases your fighting dice pool by 1 per extra opponent attacked.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    My house rules page runs to 2 sheets after 1 session - There's quite a few things which have been overlooked, are unclear or don't seem to work as intended. For example in the first joust I ran where joust defence was 4 times animal handling + riding specialty, the player character could not be hit by many of his opponents and in the later stages he could not hit either. Changed that to 3 time ride for defence and it looked much more like a joust - double hits were not uncommon and often the degree of success mattered.
    How high was this dude's Animal Haldling, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Also from combat, 2 “Greater actions”: 2 weapon attack and divided attack are too weak to come at cost of a 2nd attack so: 2 weapon attack also gives +”off hand” on attack and doesn't remove defensive value, divided attack increases your fighting dice pool by 1 per extra opponent attacked.
    You can't make two attacks in a round, that's where you got it wrong. Yes, attacking is a lesser action, but it is mentioned explicitly that you can't attack twice in the same round, ever.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-10-20 at 08:58 AM.