New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

I noticed that, but 'suggests' and 'is' are two different things. It likely won't matter, since most DMs will likely go along with the intent.

I was going to bring up a different (Su) ability that uses 'no longer', but all examples of such transformations I can find are extraordinary. There are (Su) effects that are permanent, however, and those still fail without magic.

I can find an example of abilities that are not entirely (Su) - some of the epic warlock feats. They specifically note "This is an extraordinary ability" for the parts that are extraordinary. Noting "This transformation is an extraordinary ability." would close any nit-picking of the capstones. I have played under DMs that would nit-pick that capstone. :P

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey there, I've got a question concerning the Oversized Weapon Imbuement and effects such as Enlarge Person which increase the size (and therefore damage) of your weapon. IN such cases do you increase the size of the weapon first and then apply Oversized once more, or do you treat Oversized's modified damage as the weapons base when further increasing the size?

Ex: I have an Oversized Versatile weapon it's damage is normally 2d8 (1d8 base +1d8 from Oversized). If its the former than the weapons damage is increased from 1d8, to 2d6 and then Oversized kicks in to make it 4d6. If its the latter than the weapons damage is 2d8 and then when its size is increased it would become 3d8.

So, which is the proper way to interpret the change to damage when increasing the size of a Oversized weapon?
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hug me, you know you want to.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Wiki updated as per the latest changes to Champion, Empath and Aura costumes. Storm Bringer is on to-do list, as well as update to the iconic Dawnguard.

In other news, updated look for unaspected Mira: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7P...it?usp=sharing. Looks better, Lix?
    (Don't worry about criticizing, by the way - these sketches take three minutes each, tops; it's not like I actually draw them :-)
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #964
    Barbarian in the Playground

@ Ilorin Lorati: Good point. Going the arcane strike route would've meant taking away from the other two classes more than giving to the Champion, in retrospect.

@ Selinia: Ah, thanks for the clarification. I haven't created a Prestige Class based off of the Tome of Radiance yet (and my one attempt at creating a prestige class of any kind is thankfully long buried under the weight of the homebrew threads), but I'll keep that in mind when I feel I've gotten a handle of the material enough to throw my hat in the ring. I'm loving the new Champion and your approach to improving it. Simple and straightforward, yet a very, very handy tool that I'm sure Champion players will greatly appreciate.

On an unrelated note, I've been tinkering with the idea of giving evoker classes access to a modified familiar, to fill in the 'animal adviser' niche that appears in some magical girl shows, and as an occasional element in some high fantasy (hence why I felt it was a good idea for an option). I've got a rough draft of two feats to that end, neither especially big, but both decent practice and potentially fun:

Spoiler
    Show
    Luminous Familiar
    In your travels, your are aided by a manifestation of your soul and radiance, who attempts to guide you along your path.

Prerequisites: Evoker Level 1st
    Benefit: You can gain a familiar as a Sorcerer, though it functions somewhat differently from that of an Arcane caster's. Like with the standard familiar, it advances depending on its master's own advancement, but based off her total Evoker Level rather than class levels.

Note that while the terminology of 'master' is still used below, it's more common for the Luminous Familiar to serve as a mentor or companion than as the lower of a master and servant relationship, and they often enjoy a place as the evoker's friend. There are even some cases where the familiar was the one to introduce the evoker to her powers, becoming their familiar after the fact.

Its progression is as follows:

Master Evoker Level Natural Armor Adj. Int Special
    1st-2nd +1 6 Speech, Improved Evasion, Share Surge, Empathic Link
    3rd-4th +2 7 Deliver Illuminations
    5th-6th +3 8 Telepathic Connection
    7th-8th +4 9 Luminous
    9th-10th +5 10
    11th-12th +6 11 Spell Resistance
    13th-14th +7 12 Through Their Eyes
    15th-16th +8 13
    17th-18th +9 14
    19th-20th +10 15

Natural Armor Adjustment and Int: As the normal familiar.

Speech (Ex): Unlike a traditional familiar, the Luminous Familiar has no issues with speech, nor are they limited to speaking to their master or other animals. The Luminous Familiar knows any language its master knows. In addition, if its Intelligence modifier would grant it more bonus languages than its master's own Intelligence modifier grants them, it knows those an additional number of languages equal to how many more its Int would grant than its master's. Should the master learn a one of those languages afterwards (other than by increasing their Intelligence Modifier), the familiar gains a new bonus language to replace it.

Improved Evasion (Ex): As the normal familiar.

Share Surge: When the evoker uses a Surge Illumination with the Awakening Shape Component, they can choose to extend the benefit to their Luminous Familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of use to receive the benefit, and the benefit (if an ongoing one measured in rounds) ends as soon as the familiar leaves this range.

Empathic Link (Su): As the normal familiar.

Deliver Illuminations: When the familiar's master uses a Surge Illumination with the Smiting Shape Component or a Blast Illumination with the Assault or Imbue Shape Components, they can choose to have their Familiar deliver it with their Natural Weapons instead of their own device or weapons.

Telepathic Connection (Sp): The Luminous Familiar and their master are connected inseparably, their very thoughts able to reach each other from across great distances. They are able to communicate telepathically with each other out to 1 mile, as if under the effects of a permanent Lesser Telepathic Bond spell.

Luminous (Ex): Upon their master's Evoker Level becoming 7th or higher, the energy within the familiar begins to spill over, providing bright illumination around themselves. As a Free Action, the familiar may choose to suppress or resume this ability, or change the distance the illumination they provide travels to any multiple of 5 ft. they wish, to a maximum of (5 * the master's Evoker Level) ft. This is treated as a light spell of a level equal to half the master's Evoker Level for the purposes of opposing and penetrating magical darkness.

Spell Resistance (Ex): As the normal familiar.

Through Their Eyes (Su): Once their Evoker Level is 13th or higher, the evoker and their familiar are inextricably linked. As a Free Action, the evoker or the familiar can choose to link their own consciousness to the other's senses. While this is in effect, the user of this ability cannot notice anything around their own bodies or with their own senses, instead using the other's sight and hearing (as well as any special senses such as Low Light Vision or the effects of a Detect Magic spell affecting them).

The evoker makes any skill checks with the familiar's skill modifiers and senses and is only entitled to such checks if their familiar would be so long as this remains in effect, and vice-versa, though both still make their checks independently. Anything concealed from one's position is treated as concealed from the other's when the other is using this effect, but anything not concealed from their position is not concealed to the other when they use the effect. Ending this effect is a Free Action, and can be done even when it's not the evoker's turn. Through Their Eyes can only be used when both the evoker and the familiar are on the same plane.

Special: If the evoker has access to or would later gain access to a more traditional familiar, they can choose to either have both the Luminous Familiar granted by this feat and the normal familiar gained through other means as separate entities with their listed progressions, or have a single familiar that benefits from both progressions. In the case of the latter, overlapping benefits are only applied once, whereas unique benefits (such as Speech and Alertness at first level of the Luminous and normal familiars, respectively) are all gained by the familiar.

Special: If the evoker possesses the Craft Soulbond feat, the Luminous Familiar also receives it as a Bonus Feat. A Luminous Familiar can only craft a Soulbond with its master.

Greater Luminous Familiar
    By empowering your familiar with your own inner light, you grant them the ability to defend themselves and others when you cannot.

Prerequisites: Evoker Level 6th, Luminous Familiar
    Benefit: An evoker with this feat grants additional benefits to their familiar, as determined by their Evoker Level. To utilize these benefits, the evoker must choose to invest motes into their familiar in the same manner they invest motes into the Armament Effects of their Device and Costume. The evoker cannot invest more than half their Evoker Level in motes into their familiar in this way.

The Greater Luminous Familiar receives the following progression in addition to the one described in the Luminous Familiar feat.

Master Evoker Level Str/Dex Adjustment Special
    6th +0 Radiant Shape
    7th-8th +1 Radiant Strike
    9th-10th +1 Radiant Link
    11th-12th +2 Radiant Resilience
    13th-14th +2 Radiant Grace
    15th-16th +3 Radiant Soul
    17th-18th +3
    19th-20th +4

Str/Dex Adjustment: Add the listed bonus to the familiar's Strength and Dexterity scores.

Radiant Shape (Su): The bond of the familiar and the evoker strengthens both, so much so that the former can tap into heretofore unknown potential to aid their master and friend. The familiar gains the Shapechanger subtype. As a Move Action, it can increase its size by up to (Motes invested/2 + 1) steps, to a minimum of 1 step, granting it all the bonuses and penalties associated with such a size increase. This effect cannot increase the familiar's size beyond Colossal. Another Move Action can reduce the familiar to their original size.

Radiant Strike (Su): A master whose Evoker Level is at least 7th grants this ability to his or her familiar. Channeling the light itself, the familiar's natural weapons are always treated as Masterwork, and can be affected by spells or other effects as though manufactured or natural weapons, whichever is more beneficial to them. Further, the familiar's natural weapons gain an enhancement bonus equal to half the invested motes (rounded down). This enhancement bonus may exceed the normal limit.

Radiant Link (Su): Investing motes of light into the familiar becomes as implanting bits of one's own self, strengthening the bond of master and familiar. Once the master's Evoker Level is at least 9th, the familiar can benefit from the Share Surge ability out to (10 + (Invested Motes * 5)) ft. Further, when the familiar uses an Illumination of a type listed under the Share Surge ability (See Radiant Soul), it can extend the effect to its master in the same way, with the same range limitation.

Radiant Resilience (Su): With their Evoker Level at 11th or higher, the master's bond is so strong as to envelop the Luminous Familiar in a protective sheet of light. The familiar receives 3 hit points for each invested mote, their maximum hit points increased equally. When a mote is removed, their current and maximum hit points are reduced by an equal amount. These hit points are not temporary hit points, and thus not 'lost first', functioning similarly to the hit points gained by a raging Barbarian when their Constitution Modifier increases/decreases.

Additionally, the familiar gains Damage Reduction X/-, where 'X' is half the number of invested motes.

Radiant Grace (Su): Beginning at the point the master's Evoker Level is 13, the true nature of the familiar being a servant of the light itself becomes increasingly clear- portions of their body shifting between physical and pure light the more motes are invested into their form. The familiar receives a Radiant Bonus to AC equal to half the invested motes, and a Resistance Bonus to all saves equal to 1/3rd the number of invested motes.

Radiant Soul (Su): The power of a Luminous Familiar peaks once their master's Evoker Level is 15th or higher, they themselves becoming an evoker. The familiar gains a mote pool equal to the number of invested motes, an Evoker Level half that of their master's, and a single Illumination known following the normal rules. The familiar need not prepare this Illumination, essentially having all Illuminations it knows ready at all times.

The familiar gains an additional Illumination upon their master reaching Evoker Level 17, and one more once they obtain Evoker Level 19. Whenever the familiar learns a new Illumination, they can choose to modify or replace any previously learned Illuminations. For the purposes of effects, its natural weapons are treated as its Device and its body itself as its Costume.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2014-04-28 at 02:30 AM.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, now the wiki on Empath should be up to the latest version; Time to Shine feat updated as well.

Also, Estellise il Catrarina is more or less done.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    Wiki updated as per the latest changes to Champion, Empath and Aura costumes. Storm Bringer is on to-do list, as well as update to the iconic Dawnguard.

In other news, updated look for unaspected Mira: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7P...it?usp=sharing. Looks better, Lix?
    (Don't worry about criticizing, by the way - these sketches take three minutes each, tops; it's not like I actually draw them :-)
    Eeee I love it. ^^
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

So, fixed the table for the Radiant Armourer, along with a few typos and immediately noticeable bits to conform with changes (specifically, companions and the shield options for blazing aegis) since I made that fix (as a side note I've left it as Armament Effects for now given that seems to be used more than Imbuements in the post detailing radiant armaments). I'd also point out that the wiki seems to have a typo in the spelling of Radiant Armourer, as well as some strange amalgamation of the two versions. Bah, stupid table changes will suck when I try to update the ozodrin. It's going to be so over max character count unless that got increased in the site revamp...

That said, I noticed a typo in Blazing Aegis (it says heavy in front of light shield), and the bonded companion secondary ability seems to likely mean [evoker level + evoker stat modifier] rather than [evoker level + evoker stat].

Anyway, with the above suggested feats to get familiars, I find myself possessed of the idea for an animal mentor/companion base class. That said, outside a basic idea of granting an ability to imbue others with minor evoker powers (letting them barrow some motes and minor illuminations), I'm not entirely sure how best one could go about the class. Generally, it would seem something along the lines of a secondary form (either as a weaker 'normal' form that they spend most of their time in or as a stronger 'true' form that they could use in combat) and not granting the usual radiant armaments unless they bother to grab a feat for them would seem most in keeping with normal depictions of animal mentors. I'm actually somewhat torn between the idea of making it something like a monster class or leaving it more open and allowing most any race. Hmm, maybe make the normal/true form a toggle between more support focused abilities and or personal combat abilities with the latter possibly having some means of limiting the duration. Also there is the issue that the concept seems somewhat in the realm of a PRC, but conceptually fits more as something from starting levels (though admittedly one could argue that in most stories the mentors would be at least a few levels above the main characters starting out).

owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    So, fixed the table for the Radiant Armourer, along with a few typos and immediately noticeable bits to conform with changes (specifically, companions and the shield options for blazing aegis) since I made that fix (as a side note I've left it as Armament Effects for now given that seems to be used more than Imbuements in the post detailing radiant armaments). I'd also point out that the wiki seems to have a typo in the spelling of Radiant Armourer, as well as some strange amalgamation of the two versions. Bah, stupid table changes will suck when I try to update the ozodrin. It's going to be so over max character count unless that got increased in the site revamp...

That said, I noticed a typo in Blazing Aegis (it says heavy in front of light shield), and the bonded companion secondary ability seems to likely mean [evoker level + evoker stat modifier] rather than [evoker level + evoker stat].

Anyway, with the above suggested feats to get familiars, I find myself possessed of the idea for an animal mentor/companion base class. That said, outside a basic idea of granting an ability to imbue others with minor evoker powers (letting them barrow some motes and minor illuminations), I'm not entirely sure how best one could go about the class. Generally, it would seem something along the lines of a secondary form (either as a weaker 'normal' form that they spend most of their time in or as a stronger 'true' form that they could use in combat) and not granting the usual radiant armaments unless they bother to grab a feat for them would seem most in keeping with normal depictions of animal mentors. I'm actually somewhat torn between the idea of making it something like a monster class or leaving it more open and allowing most any race. Hmm, maybe make the normal/true form a toggle between more support focused abilities and or personal combat abilities with the latter possibly having some means of limiting the duration. Also there is the issue that the concept seems somewhat in the realm of a PRC, but conceptually fits more as something from starting levels (though admittedly one could argue that in most stories the mentors would be at least a few levels above the main characters starting out).

owrtho
    Yep, sorry; Armourer needs to be updated on the wiki... basically, I missed the new version, so the one on the wiki is basically the original one updated by me to conform to the new rules. Other thing to do is to add the stormcaller...

update: Radiant Armourer's wiki entry updated to the latest version; Stormcaller added.
    Also, made a small tweaks and updates to my Wind Dancer - it wasn't really affected by the recent changes, so mostly some fluff added and spelling corrected.
    Last edited by jamieth; 2014-04-29 at 04:10 AM.

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

So, something I noticed never seemed to be addressed was how multiclassing impacts Armament Effects/Imbuements. By RAW, if a character has one level in each of the three base classes, she has 3 Imbuements available to her. Given this does not quite seem right, I'd suggest adopting something akin to fractional BAB or saves to deal with this. Unlike normal those however, I'd suggest having it round up to the next whole number (hence why they would start at 1 when level 1) and likely each class would need to have the specific decimal value noted for any given level. Might be worth just making a multiclassing sidebar. As for PRCs, assuming that they go with the suggested specifically stating what levels they grant extra Imbuements, they would not need to be adjusted for this (though I suppose if one really wanted to they could try making it add in the suggested fractional manner).

Anyway, while I'd been checking to see if there had been any changes I missed that explained how multiclassing impacted Imbuements, I noticed that there seems to be a bit of an issue with terminology for them. The most notable issue is that 4 places still refer to them as Costume Elements (Luminous Reservoir, Versatile, Lightforge Feats, and Prestige Classes and Evoker Level). Further however, there is a mix of calling them Imbuements and Armament Effects. The class tables and ability descriptions and aura costume archetype call them Imbuements while everywhere else in the Radiant Armaments post they are called Armament Effects (Other than the previously mentioned spots that still use the defunct term Costume Elements). It would be advisable to select one and use only that. Also while looking I noticed it would likely be worth adding the Enhanced Device Effect to the Costume Effects (except for armour rather than weapons).

All that said, I figured I'd bring up the new table code functions. The plain white tables currently used by most of the classes are a bit unpleasing to look at. I'd suggest at least adding the head and alt1 classes.

owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

According to Selinia in IRC, Imbuements don't stack. You have the best amount from among your base evoker classes, plus whatever additional Imbuements your PrCs/feats grant you.

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    According to Selinia in IRC, Imbuements don't stack. You have the best amount from among your base evoker classes, plus whatever additional Imbuements your PrCs/feats grant you.
    Well, that is not noted anywhere in the posts detailing the system, and also seems a subpar option as a champion 5/stargazer 8/empath 6 would by those rules only have 2 imbuements while a pure stargazer (the one of the three with the lowest imbuement progression) would by 19 have 3 imbuements (having gained the 3rd at 16), an empath 19 would have 4, and a champion 19 5. If such a ruling were to be used, I'd suggest use the best amount amoung base evoker classes of the level you have, or the worst amount of base evoker classes you have of the level that is the sum of all your base evoker class levels (whichever is higher), thus giving said hypothetical character 3 imbuements rather than 2. Still that seems a poor choice.

Spoiler: Example decimal table
    Show
    Champion Empath Stargazer
    Level Pure Fraction Level Pure Fraction Level Pure Fraction
    1st 1 0.25 1st 1 0.20 1st 1 0.14
    2nd 1 0.50 2nd 1 0.40 2nd 1 0.29
    3rd 1 0.75 3rd 1 0.60 3rd 1 0.43
    4th 1 1.00 4th 1 0.80 4th 1 0.57
    5th 2 1.25 5th 1 1.00 5th 1 0.71
    6th 2 1.50 6th 2 1.17 6th 1 0.86
    7th 2 1.75 7th 2 1.33 7th 1 1.00
    8th 2 2.00 8th 2 1.50 8th 2 1.13
    9th 3 2.25 9th 2 1.67 9th 2 1.25
    10th 3 2.50 10th 2 1.83 10th 2 1.38
    11th 3 2.75 11th 2 2.00 11th 2 1.50
    12th 3 3.00 12th 3 2.17 12th 2 1.63
    13th 4 3.25 13th 3 2.33 13th 2 1.75
    14th 4 3.50 14th 3 2.5 14th 2 1.88
    15th 4 3.75 15th 3 2.67 15th 2 2.00
    16th 4 4.00 16th 3 2.83 16th 3 2.13
    17th 5 4.25 17th 3 3.00 17th 3 2.25
    18th 5 4.50 18th 4 3.17 18th 3 2.38
    19th 5 4.75 19th 4 3.33 19th 3 2.50
    20th 5 5.00 20th 4 3.50 20th 3 2.63

Using the spoiled table, the hypothetical character would have 1.25 from champion, 1.13 from stargazer, and 1.17 from empath for a total of 1.55, which rounds up to 4. This is twice what they would have going by the pure no stacking rule, and 1 more than they would have if you treated all levels as being in their lowest imbuement progression base evoker class (also 1 less than they would have if you counted all of them as being in the highest imbuement progression base evoker class). Mind the table becomes more notably helpful if progressing about even in two evoker classes. A champion 10/ empath 10 would have 5 imbuements, while a champion 10/stargazer 10 would only have 4 as would an empath 10/stargazer 10 (compared to the 3, 3, and 2 they would normally have respectively with the non-stacking).

owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2014-04-30 at 04:57 AM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

12. - Top - End - #972

without specifying otherwise, one might expect that the features don't interact with one another and are maintained separately for each class. not seeing a problem with haphazard combinations of classes being suboptimal ...

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure it's really possible to get a "clean" imbuement leveling system with the way they're designed, but adding decimals is just really odd. A cleaner solution would be 1 + the sum of all your other Evoker classes, -1 for each class you have, so your 5/8/6 would math out to 1 + 1 (2-1) + 1 (2-1) + 0 (1-1) = 3.

Of course, I think that not everything needs to be optimal in terms of character building, and the 1/2 EL rule gives more to Evokers than most casters get. It's quite likely fine.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    without specifying otherwise, one might expect that the features don't interact with one another and are maintained separately for each class. not seeing a problem with haphazard combinations of classes being suboptimal ...
    I'd note that the view features do not interact doesn't really solve the problem, and leaves you with mostly the same problem as reading it as strait stacking. Mainly as by RAW each additional base evoker class gives you a new set of Radiant Armaments. If the imbuements are in turn tracked separately, this would just limit which armaments you can put said imbuements on. As the magical girl can mix between them, she can simply relegate one class to only providing imbuements to the device it grants, while having the other provide imbuements to its costume, then just summon thethe device from the former and costume of the latter. While an evoker with three base evoker classes loses out some like this, they still would have access to more than if they just used the device and costume from one class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    I'm not sure it's really possible to get a "clean" imbuement leveling system with the way they're designed, but adding decimals is just really odd. A cleaner solution would be 1 + the sum of all your other Evoker classes, -1 for each class you have, so your 5/8/6 would math out to 1 + 1 (2-1) + 1 (2-1) + 0 (1-1) = 3.

Of course, I think that not everything needs to be optimal in terms of character building, and the 1/2 EL rule gives more to Evokers than most casters get. It's quite likely fine.
    Technically, your numbers there is wrong as Champion 5/Stargazer 8/Empath 6 would be the levels each class gets their second imbuement, thus adjusting your final number to 4. While that seems decent in general, the disparity is more noticeable if the levels are adjusted down one in each class, giving them 1 by pure no stacking, 1 by your method, 3 by the method I proposed, and 3 had they gone pure stargazer.

Anyway, on the issue of optimization, while it's true that things don't always need to be optimised, there should be a ruling somewhere in the first few posts as presently it is just grey area open to GM interpretation. In this context I personally see no reason not to provide some degree of optimizing. They still won't be as good as if they went strait in the higher progression evoker class, but they won't have their imbuement count completely crippled due to using more than one evoker class.

owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

15. - Top - End - #975

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    I'd note that the view features do not interact doesn't really solve the problem, and leaves you with mostly the same problem as reading it as strait stacking. Mainly as by RAW each additional base evoker class gives you a new set of Radiant Armaments. If the imbuements are in turn tracked separately, this would just limit which armaments you can put said imbuements on. As the magical girl can mix between them, she can simply relegate one class to only providing imbuements to the device it grants, while having the other provide imbuements to its costume, then just summon thethe device from the former and costume of the latter. While an evoker with three base evoker classes loses out some like this, they still would have access to more than if they just used the device and costume from one class.
    what problem? given that only illuminations have any kind of stacking between classes, if you're willing to drop a level on a costume/device suitable for a 1st level, even with an imbuement (1m investment maximum) ... I'm not seeing why this is a problem. it seems totally reasonable.

Technically, your numbers there is wrong as Champion 5/Stargazer 8/Empath 6 would be the levels each class gets their second imbuement, thus adjusting your final number to 4. While that seems decent in general, the disparity is more noticeable if the levels are adjusted down one in each class, giving them 1 by pure no stacking, 1 by your method, 3 by the method I proposed, and 3 had they gone pure stargazer.

Anyway, on the issue of optimization, while it's true that things don't always need to be optimised, there should be a ruling somewhere in the first few posts as presently it is just grey area open to GM interpretation. In this context I personally see no reason not to provide some degree of optimizing. They still won't be as good as if they went strait in the higher progression evoker class, but they won't have their imbuement count completely crippled due to using more than one evoker class.

owrtho
    since there's no specific rule for it, by default you don't get anything special ... ? in the same way that even though the table says nothing about it, there's no grey area as to whether 3rd level fighters have (su) wish at will.

even if there's no reason not to do this, there's also not much in the way of a reason to do that. again, what problem do you feel there is here to be fixed ??

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

what problem? given that only illuminations have any kind of stacking between classes, if you're willing to drop a level on a costume/device suitable for a 1st level, even with an imbuement (1m investment maximum) ... I'm not seeing why this is a problem. it seems totally reasonable.
    Not entirely sure what you mean by costume/device suitable for 1st level. Given that costumes and devices don't actually improve or scale outside of possible imbuement choice and motes invested (note that aura is an exception here, but it scales off evoker level rather than class level, and what it grants is extra motes to invest in imbuements and lightforge feats). I'd also point out you are not correct on the mote investment maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Armament Effects

A magical girl may further empower her costume by imbuing her various armament effects with motes. As a swift action, she may allocate motes freely in any number of her armament effects, up to a maximum of [Evoker level] motes in any single effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidebar: Illuminations and Multiple Evoker Classes View Post
    The three evoker classes take radically different approaches to channeling their radiance, but they nonetheless share a common root. An evoker may add a total to her Evoker Level in each illumination-using class equal to one half of her total Evoker Level in all other illumination-using classes, rounded down. She learns and readies her illuminations for each class separately. For any ability other than an illumination that would refer to Evoker Level, use her highest evoker level.
    According to these, she would use her highest evoker level (taking into account the addition of half her lesser evoker class levels) to determine how many motes she could invest for any armaments. But as you said the trade seems reasonable. However there is a lack of clarity regarding how it works, that could be easily cleared up in a sidebar or similar.

since there's no specific rule for it, by default you don't get anything special ... ? in the same way that even though the table says nothing about it, there's no grey area as to whether 3rd level fighters have (su) wish at will.

even if there's no reason not to do this, there's also not much in the way of a reason to do that. again, what problem do you feel there is here to be fixed ??
    That is a terrible argument. Nothing suggests that fighters would have wish at will, which is different from a lack of clarity regarding how classes with a matching ability interact. If you look at similar situations in other classes it tends to be spelled out (or stack). For instance arcane casting specifically states you advance different casting classes separately so far as spells known/prepared etc. Tome of Battle similarly notes that multiple classes advance separately in parallel, but notes you add half initiator level from the other classes to determine initiator level. Sneak attack in turn does not mention anything to my knowledge but happens to stack (as do numerous other abilities that can be found on different classes). Really come to think of it, any abilities that don't stack explicitly state they do not, while those that do stack may or may not state such, suggesting the default state is stacking.

The problem here is that it is not clear what this does. By raw it's possible that they either stack or that they run in parallel limited to the armaments granted by the class they are for given a lack of any other statements. Personally, I feel that somewhere around the Alternate Class Features post (or possibly the post before or after it) a sidebar detailing all the issues of multiclassing evokers should be made, detailing both the previously covered evoker level as well as how it impacts radiant armaments and imbuements.

Overall, my main point is that a hard ruling should be made and stated in the early posts to avoid confusion.

owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2014-04-30 at 05:16 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #977

I have to agree with Owrtho that clarification is important, which is something I feel applies to all homebrew. Beyond the fact that it's rare for homebrew to be allowed when chunks of official material isn't (barring situations where such material simply isn't available to the group), meaning that being straightforward is important to prevent unintended exploits, room for misinterpretation or general vagueness might cause a group to avoid using a given piece of homebrew.

If you're talking about buffing it for the sake of multiclass evokers (which I'm not sure if its necessary or not), I think the simplest way to handle it is to say something along the lines of 'Evokers can have 1 Armament Effect by default. Reaching certain levels in evoker classes increases this amount by one, as noted in each given class individually' and just note the levels a new Armament Effect is gained. While that does mean someone could get a larger number by entering multiple classes to a certain point, the drawbacks of that type of multiclassing balance it out if not make it unfeasible.

Regardless, a short section that covers all the tidbits about multiclass evokers would be a good idea for the sake of both simplicity and clarity.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

So I was wondering exactly how much extra damage you get by absolutely focussing illumination power. In case anyone else wondered...
    Spoiler: MATH
    Show
    Comparison of Stargazer Complex Formula with Maxed Primal vs Random Evoker Joan off the Street
    1: 2d6+2/1d6
    2: 3d6+3/2d6
    3: 4d6+4/3d6
    4: 6d6+6/4d6
    5: 7d6+7/5d6
    6: 8d6+16/6d6
    7: 9d6+18/7d6
    8: 11d6+22/8d6
    9: 12d6+24/9d6
    10: 13d6+26/10d6
    11: 14d6+28/11d6
    12: 16d6+48/12d6
    13: 17d6+51/13d6
    14: 18d6+54/14d6
    15: 19d6+57/15d6
    16: 21d6+63/16d6
    17: 22d6+66/17d6
    18: 23d6+92/18d6
    19: 24d6+96/19d6
    20: 26d6+104/20d6

Of course, even at twentieth level, you can only use your formula 6 times an encounter, so it'll only be 20d6+80 most of the time.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2014-05-12 at 01:04 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

19. - Top - End - #979

There's a small typo in the Stargazer table. At level 19, Luminous Reservoir says 24 motes instead of 30 motes.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

Meanwhile, I have a new preview for the PDF, and it's a small, but a pretty special one :-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7P...it?usp=sharing

By the way, the wording of Moonlight Apotheosis mentions that save bonuses from two Personas don't stack. Well, Personas don't grant save bonuses since, like, 5 undates ago :-)
    Last edited by jamieth; 2014-05-17 at 02:28 PM.

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

(gaaaasp) <3

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, as some of you might remember, some time ago I decided to run a party of ToR characters through a serie of adventures starting with the Sulless Citadel. Now, I might be slow, but i haven't forgot - though the first episode doesn't really showcase much of the ToR mechanics, it still can be read here:

http://pastebin.com/hRw1Dbnw

Also, Lix, you might expect another surprise soon :-)

update: and here's the surprise I mentioned :-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7P...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by jamieth; 2014-05-23 at 02:23 PM.

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

/me squees so high, only animals can hear.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    /me squees so high, only animals can hear.
    *glares*

Stop it you, that hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

(uses Wild Empathy)

26. - Top - End - #986
    Firbolg in the Playground

*kinda sorta appears* Ah, I remember this. :3 There have been so many updates... and I still don't know how Empath works.

Also, when you use an illumination, is it like ToB in that you have to refresh it before you can use it again, or does it stay readied?
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Fairly sure they stay readied.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

(uses Wild Empathy)
    *bites*

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    *kinda sorta appears* Ah, I remember this. :3 There have been so many updates... and I still don't know how Empath works.

Also, when you use an illumination, is it like ToB in that you have to refresh it before you can use it again, or does it stay readied?
    There is no refresh mechanic for Illuminations as they are not needed. They're always readied, you just need to have enough motes to evoke them.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

29. - Top - End - #989
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fairly sure they stay readied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    There is no refresh mechanic for Illuminations as they are not needed. They're always readied, you just need to have enough motes to evoke them.
    Ah, good. That's what I thought, but I thought it best to make sure. ^.^

Also, hi Snowfire. It's been a while since I've seen you. :3
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Ah, good. That's what I thought, but I thought it best to make sure. ^.^

Also, hi Snowfire. It's been a while since I've seen you. :3
    That is has been. Sorry about PvN, took 3d6 points of life damage, y'see.

Was fun though!
    Show

<struck dumb>