New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Clearly, the most important part of the update is .

But I guess it should also be noted that, while Mookie hasn't gone all out on the whole time travel thing yet, Katya is apparently able to yell at people through time now. I can only imagine that she is going to die right about now, because she obviously didn't use it to warn Team Deegan about anything.

EDIT: Also, I am not sure if they're still going through the secret entrance, but flying up to the Sanctum like that kind of defeats the purpose of, well, a secret entrance.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-05 at 03:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would love it if Katya uses her newfound powers to start yelling warning across space and time. With each yell we can cut to the present where Team Deegan gets stronger and stronger and the King gets weaker and weaker. In the end, it'll be just the King and a severely diminished Snuggly verses all the Archmages (and Murry), Battlecasters, Rillian, Draconic Freak, Maestro, Snowsong, Luna, Jacob, Celestro, Orcs, Luanian church, and of course The Lord Dominic. They'll of course end the day with a mega beam spam while Dave howls his fury.

Eh, who am I kidding? Best case scenario Dominic would end up breaking space time himself and maybe give the runt some token praise for inspiring him.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground

Is that a Superman joke?

There is a whole lot of concentrated stupid here. Might be a record.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope the secret entrance doesn't come up again and Mookie's just completely forgotten about it.

Also I hope he also forgets about the fact that the sanctuary has turned into a defensive weapon and has to handwave it away later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

5. - Top - End - #815

Dave, Dave you are blind. It's kind of a thing.
    Also, my money is on these being an illusion, which is still kind of weird because Dave is blind.

On the other hand, yes, this is a problem, because weren't there an ocean of cattleblasters surrounding the sanctum? For full situational awareness? Who have no line-of-sight or line-of-fire obstructions between them and these people just bopping along in the open sky? Who are the only things between these targets and the sanctum's main artillery? And somehow they've penetrated these defenses so thoroughly that they're inside sight range of A BLIND MAN.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

6. - Top - End - #816
    Dwarf in the Playground

^ What Rocket Pony said. My first thought was that this is an illusion too, because that is the strongest magic in Dominion next to random beam spam.

Is it bad I nearly forgot Dave is blind? >>
    Icon by azuyomi244.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Troll in the Playground

It's completely understandable. Being blind in this comic has about the same effect as losing a few teeth. He's blind for three reasons:
    1) So his eyeballs could become Snuggly (why not just one?)
    2) To show how much better Dominic is than him
    3) The most important of all. I don't remember seeing any awful sight puns about him yet so Mookie has to be deliberately holding back so he can make one at the worst possible time, at the climax. It will be the worst bad pun of all time. Mookie will rig the site to hijack your webcam and place your own groaning face as the eighth panel. The meta groan. The joke is on you!

See the truth!

Does anyone else think that Dave might have been intentionally made into a joke villain because we kept saying how much we liked him?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-05 at 09:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Does anyone else think that Dave might have been intentionally made into a joke villain because we kept saying how much we liked him?
    I really think his ridiculous racism and overall Bond villainy might be owed to it. Maybe not even because some people here or over at Something Awful or whatever other communities have formed around making fun of this comic liked him but because Mookie got similar feedback from his fans. After all, he already did the same thing to Siegfried...several times.

Also, I wonder what those horrible puns could be.

I imagine Stunt throwing slime-magic-propelled knives into the king's eye sockets, then slowly turning to the camera to say: "Bet that's the first time you've ever seen an eyeless man stare daggers, huh?"

9. - Top - End - #819

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post

EDIT: Also, I am not sure if they're still going through the secret entrance, but flying up to the Sanctum like that kind of defeats the purpose of, well, a secret entrance.
    Weren't some of them going to create a diversion while others sneaked in?
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2012-12-05 at 10:35 AM.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Troll in the Playground

Also, I wonder what those horrible puns could be.

I imagine Stunt throwing slime-magic-propelled knives into the king's eye sockets, then slowly turning to the camera to say: "Bet that's the first time you've ever seen an eyeless man stare daggers, huh?"
    That is utterly atrocious.

It's perfect.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Dave, Dave you are blind. It's kind of a thing.
    Also, my money is on these being an illusion, which is still kind of weird because Dave is blind.
    Illusion, or maybe some kind of diversion to let the non-casters sneak through the secret passage and do something.

On the other hand, yes, this is a problem, because weren't there an ocean of cattleblasters surrounding the sanctum? For full situational awareness? Who have no line-of-sight or line-of-fire obstructions between them and these people just bopping along in the open sky? Who are the only things between these targets and the sanctum's main artillery? And somehow they've penetrated these defenses so thoroughly that they're inside sight range of A BLIND MAN.
    Are they currently beyond the battle-casters, or are they just on their way?

12. - Top - End - #822
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

If the inevitable 'SEE THE TRUTH' moment comes up, there's two ways the puns can go.

1) It fails and the King murders Dominic with a smug "I'm blind, I can't see anything"

2) Everything resolves, everyone's happy and the King looks up at Dominic with the reverence he once held only for his eyes and goes "Thank you Dominic I lost sight of myself." and then the comic ends with Dominic's angry glare towards the viewer, and we all go home and cry a little to ourselves.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    ...and then the comic ends with Dominic's angry glare towards the viewer.
    Does 'The Glare' really make sense as a gesture of resentment against the viewers? Doesn't it make much more sense for it to be aimed at the author who made him say yet another pun or do some other preposterous thing as per usual in this comic?

14. - Top - End - #824
    Colossus in the Playground

That is utterly atrocious.

It's perfect.
    You remember that scene in the first austin powers movie where the thug got his head eaten by mutated bass? Austin ripped off a half dozen puns about losing ones head, or being the head of a corporation. I predict that. Everyone will gather around the defeated david and have their own eye related pun in a wall of text that makes us all wish we were blind. Doms head will twist right off as there is no direction he can look away at in disgust without a person spamming eye/see puns near him.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #825
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think it's more due to how Mookie can't write villains. And I'm not talking about in a "Mookie can't write villains period, heh" way; I mean his writing makes them fall flat even more than his heroes do.

The problem is he writes moment-to-moment but he keeps wanting to write villains who are grand schemers without doing any planning or trying to get in their heads to figure out what the most obvious thing any half-sane character would do in their situation. The villains are there to do dramatic stuff whenever Mookie feels it's needed but otherwise they sit around doing nothing. Granted the heroes tend to do this too but at least one of the protagonists or the antagonists need to be doing something to drive the plot and in the superhero-esque plots Mookie writes, that's almost always the antagonist's role.

16. - Top - End - #826

BUCKLE IN, LADIES
    IT'S SNEAKY GATE TIME
    and for the future

It's worth noting that we still don't know if they've gone back in time, or this is a scry, or a vision, or an astral caravan, or what's going on. Nobody knows what's happening here.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

17. - Top - End - #827

"Oh, no! King Dave has appeared to stop our assault on King Dave's Highly Important Magical Fortress! Who could have possibly predicted this?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

18. - Top - End - #828

BUCKLE IN, LADIES
    IT'S SNEAKY GATE TIME
    and for the future
    So, knock an Eld unconscious in the Tempest and they'll spontaneously gain the ability to manipulate the energies there? Ok.

19. - Top - End - #829

Panel five could go at the end of any strip and it would work pretty well.

And I guess we're supposed to be worried about whatever Dave is doing emitting smoke with specks of dust, because the heroes are telling us to be.

20. - Top - End - #830

OldWizardGuy

makes more sense than some of the other random powerups in this comic.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    "Oh, no! King Dave has appeared to stop our assault on King Dave's Highly Important Magical Fortress! Who could have possibly predicted this?"
    Extra points to their reaction if they are the diversion and their mission was to lure David away.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

Realizing that he is up against protagonists, King David Johann decides to skip straight to the final beamspam boss battle without sending his faceless stormtroopers in to be slapped around first.

Truly a river to his people.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder what Dave's final form looks like. I'm guessing... Tentacles?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-06 at 04:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #834

Griffon

Panel 6: "Alright everyone, get ready for anything!"

Panel 7: *Former Archmage and noted Wizard antagonist starts casting a magic spell.*

Panel 8: "OMG HOLY CRAP WHAT IS THAT I DONT EVEN!?!?!?"

~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    So, knock an Eld unconscious in the Tempest and they'll spontaneously gain the ability to manipulate the energies there? Ok.
    Maybe he was bitten by a radioactive tempest storm just before he fell unconscious? So this was the first time he could use his new powers.
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

26. - Top - End - #836
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Backgrounds might have helped here.

So did David appear in front of them in panel 7, or is he still inside the sanctum? I can't tell.
    Last edited by Cope; 2012-12-06 at 04:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #837

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Extra points to their reaction if they are the diversion and their mission was to lure David away.
    While it is probably is going to be a diversion, I can't think what it's going to be from. Everyone else on their team couldn't stand up against a single cattleblaster, except for maybe Quilt and I doubt he could take more than a couple.

I don't think this plan of Miranda's was very well thought out.
    Edit: Actually "plan" is too strong a word.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-12-06 at 04:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, I'm thinking there is no diversion, since, if there was, I'd expect Luna to be in that party. That way she could trip over the power plug to Dave's Fortress O' Doom and somehow without doing anything free Dominic so -he- can save the day.

Since she's out with Miranda and Co. I'm assuming that said "secret entrance" has been forgotten, for now.

I guess he technically -could- have Stunt and... uh.... Quilt I guess "sneaking in the back way" but they don't have any strong magic users (does Quilt actually count with those? I feel like that goes back and forth sometimes) so that would be incredibly stupid. (So that's what's about to happen, isn't it?)
    Icon by azuyomi244.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    This. . . pretty much covers my reaction to the comic. Really guys? REALLY? You are going to be shocked that the bad guy you are trying to stop might consider fighting back? Maybe they forgot he was evil? He isnt a big breasted woman in huge cleavage revealing black leather after all. And he doesnt SEEM to be a jock.

Oh, and Valencia, you forgot about mister facebath himself. Johnny Resistant. We havent seen him much at all lately, that means he is fully recovered and ready for some payback. Never take your eyes off the interceptor.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    This. . . pretty much covers my reaction to the comic. Really guys? REALLY? You are going to be shocked that the bad guy you are trying to stop might consider fighting back?
    I dunno, it wouldn't be inconsistent for him to monologue as they stab him to death.

And he doesnt SEEM to be a jock.
    He worked hard to get where he is. That makes him a jock.

Oh, and Valencia, you forgot about mister facebath himself. Johnny Resistant. We havent seen him much at all lately, that means he is fully recovered and ready for some payback. Never take your eyes off the interceptor.
    Oh no. I can see it now. Snuggly attacks Dex, Dave commands him to release Dex, who throws an exploding jockball (?) at him and spouts that line. The horror.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-06 at 10:57 AM.