New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Ill give you the appearance, the nickname? Not so much. Just because mookie has decided to suddenly make dj suck doesnt mean he always has. He has been a pretty damn popular guy until sir dominus the awesome told the pathetic little callanian urchins the truth.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

I always thought he was ripping off Father from Fullmetal Alchemist. There are lots of other thematic similarities. That's one of the primary sources of unintentional plagiarism/coincidence, along with Mass Effect. I think Slayers is also there but I'm not familiar with that one.

Is this type of character common to anime?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-08 at 10:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I always thought he was ripping off Father from Fullmetal Alchemist. There are lots of other thematic similarities. That's one of the primary sources of unintentional plagiarism/coincidence, along with Mass Effect. I think Slayers is also there but I'm not familiar with that one.

Is this type of character common to anime?
    If its that commonly used of a face, everyone is just a damn dirty thief.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #874
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If its that commonly used of a face, everyone is just a damn dirty thief.
    You mean Stunt?

5. - Top - End - #875

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    You mean Stunt?
    With less knives.

*EDIT* In all seriousness, this may be just like the sort of thing that happens in live action movies where the same guy gets cast for the same type of role in 90 different films. Fu man chu thug for example. him This facial style is just the one that in japan brings up the right reaction when its seen or something.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-12-09 at 08:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The only real similarity in appearance is the beard, anyway. Both (most) anime and Mookie have such sparse character design that everyone looks pretty similar, even across shows and media.

And the main similarity with Slayers is the vaguely Dungeons & Dragons setting and the tendency of the main heroine to solve all her problems with explosive magical violence. Although Lina Inverse is more of a parody of that kind of playstyle in RPGs, considering the rest of her party is very specifically the Dumb Fighter, the Convoluted Angsty Roleplayer, and the Noob Cleric.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-12-09 at 10:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #877

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    With less knives.

*EDIT* In all seriousness, this may be just like the sort of thing that happens in live action movies where the same guy gets cast for the same type of role in 90 different films. Fu man chu thug for example. him This facial style is just the one that in japan brings up the right reaction when its seen or something.
    Just to clarify, I do not want to imply that there is any plagiarism going on here. Just saw the King Joseph character, noted chinstrap beard + feather boa collar thing and the general "evil wizard king in spellpunk world causes apocalypse for poorly defined reason" thing, and thought it was a fascinating resemblance.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just out of boredom . . . I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of things about Zero . . . But if my memory is correct, King Joseph doesn't do the terrible things he does out of boredom.

He does it because he thinks if he commits a big enough atrocity, he might be forced to actually feel some kind of emotion. Basically, he's trying to find something to do that's so messed up that even someone like him would feel bad about it.

Anyways . . .That's all I have to say. Talk about the comic? Why on earth would I ever want to talk about the comic? Have you seen how awful it is?

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, what was that? I just dozed off there.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

I am revising my estimate. There will be no more than five panels, counting the one in the sneaky, showing the zombie dragon before it is defeated.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Final proof that Luna is thick-headed?

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I am revising my estimate. There will be no more than five panels, counting the one in the sneaky, showing the zombie dragon before it is defeated.
    Too late to change bets now!
    Unless the dragon grows super powers, it looks like he is either already dead, or mostly dead.
    Come on dragon, just survive half a strip and I win.

Oh, and the slime has wings.
    OF COURSE!

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I originally gave it a maximum of ten panels, because I figured Mookie would at least try the first day to use the cool new thing he thought of rather than jump right to the end right away.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Pixie in the Playground

Self beamspam, at least it is something "new", however stupid it might appear.

Did Mookie watch superman recently perhaps?

BTW, why is it worse to animate the dragon than a regular human? What makes it blasphemy?

Is there some religion venerating dragons etc?
    Last edited by Bomaz; 2012-12-10 at 01:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Once again I overestimate Mookie. Everyone knew this was going to happen, but I still expect more than it just happening for the sake of it happening. I don't know why he doesn't simply wrap this comic up by the end of the year and launch Star Power in January.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

Your a dragon princess. Dave sure is in trouble. Callan must be at threat level E-cup by now.

I guess the nagastrali had to get at least one line.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Once again I overestimate Mookie.
    It's terrible, isn't it? This thread has made me so cynical.

EDIT: On a more positive note, there's something about the slime in these last few comics that appeals to me. It is cute in a weird way.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-10 at 04:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Dwarf in the Playground

Please, please, please let her destroy the dragon and use up her Dragon heart power-up at the same time. I think it would be so hilarious if the entire point of getting the power-up from the dragon was to defeat the dragon.

It would just be so amazingly pointless.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground

I hope Dave breaks into the Deegan tomb and reanimates Miranda's parents as zombies to fight Donovan, emotionally.

That's what I would do if I were an evil magical king.

EDIT: Bonus points if the newsposts mention some kind of passive aggressive clash between Mookie and his in-laws that somehow mirrors the comic. That would be delightfully stupid.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-10 at 06:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #890

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Bomaz View Post
    BTW, why is it worse to animate the dragon than a regular human? What makes it blasphemy?

Is there some religion venerating dragons etc?
    Nagas believe that they were created by dragons or something. Also this strip I linked to... I think it's most blantant example of author saying 'I can't write' I've ever seen ;-)

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Nagas believe that they were created by dragons or something. Also this strip I linked to... I think it's most blantant example of author saying 'I can't write' I've ever seen ;-)
    They took the trouble of finding a storyteller? There's something really off about that.

The holiday arc is a lot more racist and horrible than I remember it. I'm surprised Dominic isn't wearing a pith hat. "Lol nice story fundie", reddit type crap.

22. - Top - End - #892

I don't know why he doesn't simply wrap this comic up by the end of the year and launch Star Power in January.
    Exactly. Despite Mookie's desire to make this ending epic, it will be forgotten shortly after completion. And it's not like Mookie is attracting new readers at this point. Mookie has to realize that he is not going to improve character development or have any interesting plot twists, so he should just end it and move on. Seriously, I think he spends most of his time on SP anyway...

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Exactly. Despite Mookie's desire to make this ending epic, it will be forgotten shortly after completion.
    Not necessarily. While it is pretty much impossible at this point for Mookie to end the comic in a satisfactory way, he is perfectly capable of making the ending memorable. In fact, I hope that Dominic ends in the stupidest possible way. I want it to disappoint the most cynical and to baffle people in the future who are told about the ending*. It should be utterly atrocious, tunnelling far below his previous nadirs of Stonewater, Maltak and all that other stuff that I can't remember right now. I want the ending to forever title the comic as the worst written piece of media ever designed. I think it's certainly possible. I have faith.

The only way the ending can disappoint me now is if it ends predictably.

*I love those posts where someone offhandedly mentions something absurd and someone else asks if that actually happened.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-10 at 08:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #894

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Seriously, I think he spends most of his time on SP anyway...
    If I remember correctly he claims that it takes him 6 to 8 hours to write sigle DD strip.
    yeah, he must be a real artist at procrastionation....
    Last edited by Cen; 2012-12-10 at 07:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bomaz View Post
    Self beamspam, at least it is something "new", however stupid it might appear.
    MEDOUKEN!!!

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    If I remember correctly he claims that it takes him 6 to 8 hours to write sigle DD strip.
    yeah, he must be a real artist at procrastionation....
    Spending time on something doesn't necessarily make it better. There are so many examples of authors whose labours of love were poorly received but the things they scribbled out so they could get by turned out to be masterpieces.

Mookie's ideal of writing is probably so backwards that it might be better if he didn't make any kind of revision at all. It might be better now that he has someone to bounce ideas off though.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Oh, and the slime has wings.
    OF COURSE!
    Ha, I didn't notice that when I glanced at the comic for its maximum recommended exposure time (2 seconds).

Dejah's expression is excellent: "what is this crazy lady doing? I'd better get the frack away from here!"
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

I'm claiming Dejah as best unironic character*. Sure, he may be a vehicle for crappy puns but he's also one of the only non-villainous or possessed characters to point out that Dominic associates himself with rapists and murders. Dominic's reaction to that cemented him as asshat supreme.

*There aren't many other canidates.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-10 at 09:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #899

Ok, new disappointing ending theory time!

1) Dominics escape. The king will be ranting on and on about lessons and whatnot to Dom, you know, the usual supervillain blather. Domw ill at one point say, "Yeah? Want to know what I learned on MY travels?" Then punch dj in the junk. "I learned how to take a spellcaster out in one move."

2) Cassafain will be the one to defeat TIM. How? She will "save" him until he dies from exhaustion/love based magic crushing his evil powers.

3) Momma deegan will "sacrifice" herself to bring down some massive barrier magic or whatever. Said sacrifice will not be lethal, she is just out of the fight.

4) The final battle will be luna and dom against a limping dj. Dom will distract him with a see thr turth, Luna will choke dj to death with her magic eggs.

5) Nimmel will show up with the eld and a big army of supporters, only to walk into the wreckage and state, "Are we late?"

6) Dex gives him a wedgie so harsh his grand kids will be born squealing.

7) We will learn greg got his powers back, dex is fully healed and back together with his stripper girlfriend, everyone of age is pregnant, and doms leg grew back. Everyone lives happily ever after, except for snuggly who gets eaten by a destroyer or something.

30. - Top - End - #900

Luna: Having the body of a dragon is useless! What you really need is its heart!

*Gains the body of a dragon*

??