New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Sneaky, where Miranda gets a compliment for doing nothing.

Future, when we hear complaints about decorations.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's see if you accounted for my personal favorite and most over used form of magic!"

3. - Top - End - #963
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    "Let's see if you accounted for my personal favorite and most over used form of magic!"
    "Ah, good, you accounted for it perfectly without it causing the slightest disruption. That's exactly what I expected would happen. Now I am ANGRY!!!"

(At least, I think that's what's going on here. Um, could someone help me out?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post

I going to stop underestimating my most dangerous foe, that's why I started the battle trying to subdue/control her while yapping about how cool she is.

EDIT: And of course, because Dave's so dead set on removing Miranda as a threat, he can't/won't activate the Sanctum's defenses against her... Actually, why ISN'T Baba Yaga's metal house (rock on!) not attacking the filthy non Callan Naga and Slime in the group? Did they undergo the sacred rituals to be anointed as naturalized citizens?
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2012-12-13 at 02:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

I believe that panels 2 through 4 are a strong, strong candidate for the single laziest specimen of writing Mookie has ever produced. Can anyone come up with an example where he's been lazier? Because I can't.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #966
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow. I knew Mookie was going to make DJ pathetic in story. But I think he might now be reaching levels of one of most pathetic antagonists I have ever read. Skeletor - leagues above David here. Snidely Whiplash might as well be the embodiment of Satan compared to King Dave. Random villains from Captain Planet are now more threatening.

Stop having the main villain of your 10 year long comic compliment the protagonists for every single thing they do! I'd think he was trying to get into her pants, but she's not within ear shot of him constantly praising her.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-12-13 at 02:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    Wow. I knew Mookie was going to make DJ pathetic in story. But I think he might now be reaching levels of one of most pathetic antagonists I have ever read. Skeletor - leagues above David here. Snidely Whiplash might as well be the embodiment of Satan compared to King Dave. Random villains from Captain Planet are now more threatening.

Stop having the main villain of your 10 year long comic compliment the protagonists for every single thing they do! I'd think he was trying to get into her pants, but she's not within ear shot of him constantly praising her.
    Calling this now btw: The reason Mookie's doing this is most likely out of his hatred for "villains who keep underestimating the heroes".

One thing I'Ve noticed with DD is that Mookie loves subverting common (bad) tropes, but almost every and any subversion he decides to go for is invariably just as bad as the real trope.

The other day I found some genuine fan reviews for DD on youtube. (I know!)
    Almost everyone who enjoys/likes DD still does so because it subverts the most basic of bad tropes.

It's annoying cause it shows how just doing the opposite for a few superficial things really doesn't help make for a good story, but Mookie never realised this, ever.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, Mookie is missing the point here. The bad guy, especially those suave and cerebral ones, CAN in fact compliment their opponent and mean it. But that is generally saved for something huge and impressive. Im talking pulling an oracle for hire 50 step counter plan that destroys everything he had setup, contingencies included, in one fell swoop. It doesnt work when you are complimenting them for doing something obvious like pre fight buffing. "Oh, you decided to get ready for this fight? BRILLIANT!" Next up is, "Oh my goodness! Donovan remembered to bring his sword? Thats so genious its SCARY! I was certain he would have forgotten to wear clothes before coming here, let alone bring a weapon!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #969
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    One thing I'Ve noticed with DD is that Mookie loves subverting common (bad) tropes, but almost every and any subversion he decides to go for is invariably just as bad as the real trope.
    Mookie's subversions are usually much worse because he only flips them around on the surface. He keeps the bulk of it the same except now it doesn't make any sense.

Take "villain who keeps underestimating the hero" - it's there to give a reason why the more powerful villain doesn't swiftly crush their opponent. Mookie reversed it with Dave so that he respects Miranda but failed to see that someone with his power without that issue would have won already.

It's "My orcs are vegan hunters" over and over again.

10. - Top - End - #970

NecromancerGuy

One sad thing about the tunnel team and who we haven't seen mess with the distraction team . . . Mookie apparently think this group of melee fighters is going to at the very least be able to take on TIM. (Assuming he remembers TIM exists.)

Donovan: I've got a sword!

Stunt: I've got a knife!

Quilt: I've got arm blades!*

TIM: I'm a regenerating abomination of tentacles and beam spam.

And they all died horribly in a world of logic and reason. (Sadly, DD doesn't operate on such thing.)

*Kind of hate the fact I remember this.
    Last edited by Shogo; 2012-12-13 at 08:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything about this is painful.

I love it.

What's WRONG with me?!

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Mookie's subversions are usually much worse because he only flips them around on the surface. He keeps the bulk of it the same except now it doesn't make any sense.

Take "villain who keeps underestimating the hero" - it's there to give a reason why the more powerful villain doesn't swiftly crush their opponent. Mookie reversed it with Dave so that he respects Miranda but failed to see that someone with his power without that issue would have won already.

It's the same with bigotry.

He knows racism is bad, hates racists and probably considers himself an enlightened person who loves everybody. But the black guy died first and white humans (Callanians) are repeatedly shown as being the best. Even when the comic tells you that this isn't true or a valid way to look at others, the comic is still portraying that. It's like he's telling you that he's not a racist and then winking at you.

It's a very superficial understanding. It's like how his comic is pretty much identical to the misogynistic works he's probably disgusted by. The only difference is that some of the women can use magic to fight. This is not what it takes to make something that empowers women. When people use the term "strong female character", they're not speaking literally.

There's also the issue of homosexuality, bisexuality and probably a bunch of other stuff. I didn't see much wrong with his use of the transgendered alterist character though.

13. - Top - End - #973

At least his handling of doms fear of alterists was amusing as hell.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #974

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I believe that panels 2 through 4 are a strong, strong candidate for the single laziest specimen of writing Mookie has ever produced. Can anyone come up with an example where he's been lazier? Because I can't.
    How about this gem?

15. - Top - End - #975
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    There's also the issue of homosexuality, bisexuality and probably a bunch of other stuff. I didn't see much wrong with his use of the transgendered alterist character though.
    That's because he didn't spend any time on it or develop it. It was all "I use to be a man." and that was it. And that's one of the best choices he's ever made in this comic. But I have faith that had Mookie decided to focus on that, it would have become terrible and offensive.

It's like how we as readers use to think the King was some sort of credible threat, and a potentially interesting villain. Then Mookie wrote about him and now he's less threatening than the Blockheads from Gumby.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

That's because he didn't spend any time on it or develop it. It was all "I use to be a man." and that was it. And that's one of the best choices he's ever made in this comic. But I have faith that had Mookie decided to focus on that, it would have become terrible and offensive.
    Even that "I used to be a man" line is inaccurate and potentially offensive. I meant that it was treated well relatively. It is a very, very delicate topic that is incredibly easy to screw up.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-13 at 11:32 AM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even that "I used to be a man" line is inaccurate and potentially offensive. I meant that it was treated well relatively. It is a very, very delicate topic that is incredibly easy to screw up.
    So we are in agreement that the best way for Mookie to treat a subject is to not write about it at all then.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post

Someone should really tighten the light-bulbs in DJ's head before they throw some unfortunate cattle-blasters into a seizure.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Someone should really tighten the light-bulbs in DJ's head before they throw some unfortunate cattle-blasters into a seizure.
    Q: How many Deegans does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
    A: Mu. Any number of Deegans are incapable of any action

So we are in agreement that the best way for Mookie to treat a subject is to not write about it at all then.
    I have always been fond of his treatment of asexuality.

20. - Top - End - #980

It's the same with bigotry.

He knows racism is bad, hates racists and probably considers himself an enlightened person who loves everybody. But the black guy died first and white humans (Callanians) are repeatedly shown as being the best. Even when the comic tells you that this isn't true or a valid way to look at others, the comic is still portraying that. It's like he's telling you that he's not a racist and then winking at you.

It's a very superficial understanding. It's like how his comic is pretty much identical to the misogynistic works he's probably disgusted by. The only difference is that some of the women can use magic to fight. This is not what it takes to make something that empowers women. When people use the term "strong female character", they're not speaking literally.

And it's also the same with how Dominic supposedly uses brains instead of brawn to defeat his enemies. He never actually does use his brain, because all the answers are always handed to him on a silver platter. And then he defeats his opponents using beamspam instead of actually outwitting them.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    And it's also the same with how Dominic supposedly uses brains instead of brawn to defeat his enemies. He never actually does use his brain, because all the answers are always handed to him on a silver platter. And then he defeats his opponents using beamspam instead of actually outwitting them.
    He also has a rule about only scrying on people if he has their permission.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Q: How many Deegans does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
    A: Mu. Any number of Deegans are incapable of any action
    A: One, he just has to need light and someone will magically appear to screw the light-bulb for him.

23. - Top - End - #983

He also has a rule about only scrying on people if he has their permission.
    Unless he has to do it. OH $*(&%*&^!!! I just figured it out! Dj is the fourth deegan son! Dom wont scry on people without permission, except when he does. and dj doesnt enchant callanians, except when he does. And considering the fact that we have now seen several stable time loops where people from the future interact with people from the past, it all makes sense now! Dj is a deegan son from the future back to solve all our problems, but the omnideegan dominic screwed it all up!

24. - Top - End - #984
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And considering the fact that we have now seen several stable time loops where people from the future interact with people from the past, it all makes sense now! Dj is a deegan son from the future back to solve all our problems, but the omnideegan dominic screwed it all up!
    That's insane. DJ's too nice to be a Deegan.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

25. - Top - End - #985

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post

Mookie the equivalent of idiot troper writers who thinking "subverting" a trope instead of "playing it straight" automatically makes it better and more clever.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

It's a well known fat that Mookie practises cargo cult writing, something which is also very common on TVTropes. His "subversions" are an extension of it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #987

NecromancerGuy

If anything it's surprising he's not more popular in the tvtropes community since his writing is like the logical progression of most tvt writing advice.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

I do remember him having one vocal defender there. Mr Death or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Mookie the equivalent of idiot troper writers who thinking "subverting" a trope instead of "playing it straight" automatically makes it better and more clever.
    Well my elves are rednecks.

(Anyone have a better smug smiley?)

29. - Top - End - #989

I do remember him having one vocal defender there. Mr Death or something like that?

Well my elves are rednecks.

(Anyone have a better smug smiley?)
    Have you been reading Monster Hunter International? No wait, those elves were trailer trash.

30. - Top - End - #990

Hmm, and here I was starting to think Dave complimenting Miranda about remember to buff herself was a subtle hint that he didn't have the brains to do that to his place of power, and that is why a bunch of melee fighters are going to successfully rescue Dominic.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2012-12-13 at 11:49 PM.