New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Rilian is having a pretty severe bad hair day.

Also, seriously, just what is this? It looks like Mookie would draw a regular cave, in fact it reminds me of the Bikta caves and looking at it I am kind of expecting the king to capture Donovan and be cured of his racism by Donovan telling him Orcish jokes (the punch line is always Ilka Tuk Tak). But what something looks like has so little bearing in this comic (see also: Spark the gremlin actually being a cat). I'm assuming it's supposed to be some sort of gross fleshy stuff? Frankly, I wonder if Mookie himself is entirely decided on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Y'know Rilian, you are also a key component in villain's grand weapon; they might have been able to stop that attack had they either set you free or killed you (which you seemed plenty prepared for)... It would have taken less time then finding the treasure, and might have been pulled off if you did not stop them... Just sayin
    Rilian also still has some control over his abilities (since he could telepathically contact Dominic without DJ noticing), so you have to wonder why he doesn't kill himself if he's so sure he's not getting out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    It's another Mookie SolutionTM.

Problem: The comic has too much exposition in it.
    Solution: Remove exposition, leave everything else the same.
    It's amazing how much thinking about it like that explains.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-18 at 01:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky

Future

Oh no, just not OTHER COUNTRIES (that we've never heard about, and never existed until 10 minutes ago).

And how is a country that might or might not attack is a bigger risk than people who currently attack you and managed to pass two threats just in front of you?

Also, threat created and gone in 3 panels.
    Not a new record, but nevertheless, impressive.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Well, hurrah for my prediction being true. This is the only comic where the villain actually attempts to multi-task in battle while admitting he needs to focus all his energies on taking out his foe. Mookie, you once again made 80s cartoon villains look competent. I do hope someday down the line you feel the slightest twinge of shame for this.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

He was trying to pull an Ozymandias, but forgot the fact that Ozy only had the controls at his based to use when the heroes were approaching, and the actual weapon was off in the Pacific somewhere. (Never mind the movie, it still didn't involve physical ICBMs).

If nothing else, it's still a reasonable cartoon villain attempt at wearing the heroes down or delaying them, especially if he can spam that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ettin in the Playground

And a full six panels of appearance for the zombie dragon, including introduction. I called it.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

How can Mookie write a final arc where the main villain is nuking the entire world in a way that has absolutely no tension?

Oh well there's no way Luna survived the explosion of three country-busting blight nukes oh who are we kidding of course she's fine.

Edit: Please let one of those missed blight bombs nuke Maltak.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-12-19 at 01:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only one who saw Luna throwing the dragons through the curtains in 5th panel? They can't be wings unless they're attached at the lower back.

I for one think the king is being smart. He knows he can't possibly do any damage to the HeroesTM no matter how much beamsam he throws at them so he's trying to accomplish as much of his plan before he's destroyed. No wonder he's so loved by his people.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground

This is one of the funniest strips Mookie's written in weeks. I can't stop giggling at how stupid Luna's reaction and solution are.

I mean, seriously. Problem: King DJ is launching what are essentially magic ICBMs from the sanctum. Solution: Fly at zombie dragon and blow it up? Note, of course, that she clearly missed some of them.

I also love the fact that the bombs are explicitly stated not to be aimed at Team Hero, but their targets just all happen to be clustered in roughly the same direction. Because that's how things work.

Also, Team Hero is apparently communicating through OOC chat, since Luna's not exactly within hearing range of the rest of them. (Oh, who am I kidding. Like distance exists in this world.)
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-12-19 at 02:59 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I also love the fact that the bombs are explicitly stated not to be aimed at Team Hero, but their targets just all happen to be clustered in roughly the same direction. Because that's how things work.
    This. Neighbouring countries are all Over There, in the single Other Direction. Stoned Gassy Toddler Geography 101!

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

If you look at yesterday's strip you can see a couple of interesting things - there were only four fired then, and, given that there are five in today's strip, he must be able to spam them. You'll also note they appear to be going in four different directions, though the geometry of Dominus Prime is so confusing that this could be an illusion. However, it seems safe to say Luna has only stopped three out of many 'blight' bombs - presumably the ones that would have hit Maltak. So now the orcs will survive while everyone else will perish in the blight.

Or Luna will fly around and stop all of them to show us how much of a threat they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

11. - Top - End - #1061

How exactly do you tell when a magic missile is aimed at "another country"? That big egg-shaped thing could be going anywhere man. It could also be teleporting there instead of cruising through the sky at whatever speed it's going (about two sentences per panel), but hey.

For what it's worth, here's my prediction: one of those big egg-things is going to wander on over to Maltak, and everyone's going to feel terrible and conflicted and sad, and there'll be this shot of Maltak and horrified orcs, but the REBORN MALTAK WITH ALL ITS POWER will just reach up and lash that egg out of the sky, boffo, problem solved, and a grim foreshadowing of what's to come in a world where orkish magic dominates.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

12. - Top - End - #1062

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    For what it's worth, here's my prediction: one of those big egg-things is going to wander on over to Maltak, and everyone's going to feel terrible and conflicted and sad, and there'll be this shot of Maltak and horrified orcs, but the REBORN MALTAK WITH ALL ITS POWER will just reach up and lash that egg out of the sky, boffo, problem solved, and a grim foreshadowing of what's to come in a world where orkish magic dominates.
    please don't give Mookie ideas...

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

You know, wouldn't prematurely detonating those blight bombs over Callan cause the blight to be seeded in Callan?

Or is that supposed to be the final irony?

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

"David's really going to murder the rest of the world"

Over 10 years of writing.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-19 at 08:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1065

Hey, anyone remember those "international consequences" that were supposed to happen when David attacked the church? Well, apparently Mookie didn't.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Troll in the Playground

This is so stupid. It's a fantasy setting so instead of firing ballistic missiles, the King fires magic missiles.

Magic missiles. Mookie is seriously doing this.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    This is so stupid. It's a fantasy setting so instead of firing ballistic missiles, the King fires magic missiles.

Magic missiles. Mookie is seriously doing this.
    At the darkness, even.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Titan in the Playground

Based on these missiles' trajectory, Dominic Deeganverse is shaped like a baguette.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    How exactly do you tell when a magic missile is aimed at "another country"? That big egg-shaped thing could be going anywhere man. It could also be teleporting there instead of cruising through the sky at whatever speed it's going (about two sentences per panel), but hey.
    Well, Runcible is doing some hand waving, so I guess he's doing an analysis spell?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Hey, anyone remember those "international consequences" that were supposed to happen when David attacked the church? Well, apparently Mookie didn't.
    Well, if you successfully commit global mass genocide there isn't anybody left for diplomatic protest. Except maybe from ghosts and zombies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Based on these missiles' trajectory, Dominic Deeganverse is shaped like a baguette.
    This is the best thing to come out of this update by far.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

21. - Top - End - #1071

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    "David's really going to murder the rest of the world"

Over 10 years of writing.
    I just don't know what the ''really'' is doing there. Was it talked about earlier, or alluded to? Or were we supposed to think ''Man, this guy is pretty evil but at least he's not murdering the rest of the world!'' and have our minds blown by this incredible twist?

22. - Top - End - #1072

Daemon

I don't want to nitpick but why should undead dragon be affected by necromantic bombs? also, wouldn't detonating them above Callan make Callan blighted and corrupted? and why would Luna, Miranda and co survive staying in blast zone?

23. - Top - End - #1073

OldWizardGuy

Well you see, after Luna instagibbed the Zombie Dragon, Mookie came here and read the thread to see how we liked the awesoem draco-luna. When he descovered that we thought the Dragon wasn't a credible threat, he came up with a plan to have the Dragon re-empowered to be MORE METAL.
    So he had Luna use it's [Undead] carcass to stop [Necromancy]. meaning the Dragon is going to be re-powered and probably bigger with blighty bits.

...Which is totally a mistake that a lifelong student of magic and one of the rising new ArchMagi would totally make in a critical situation.
    Last edited by Acanous; 2012-12-19 at 07:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    I just don't know what the ''really'' is doing there. Was it talked about earlier, or alluded to? Or were we supposed to think ''Man, this guy is pretty evil but at least he's not murdering the rest of the world!'' and have our minds blown by this incredible twist?
    Fierla had previously double dog dared him.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    I THINK it was mentioned earlier, but not to miranda and crew, but to Dom while dj was gloating about his plans. Something like how he planned to destroy the other nations now so they could never receive the heart of magic and threaten the might of callan or something along those lines. Too be honest though, I dont really care.

As for sending an undead dragon into blight bombs, meh. Even if it barely does anything to the dragon, it stopped the bombs from getting away. And yes, in any rational world this would blight the hell out of callan instead. That being said, this is mookieverse, so rationality doesnt often hold sway. On the other hand, he might think it would be awesome for the city to get blighted and turned into undead monsters forcing the deegan crew to split up even more to handle the new threat.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #1076

Griffon

Logically, one would imagine that you could take a dead dragon, fill it full of Necromantic magic, and end up with a nasty Undead Zombie Dragon.

Then if you take a nasty Undead Zombie Dragon and pump it to the gills with raw, unbridled Necromancy in unprecedented quantities, you'd get the equivalent of a nasty Undead Zombie Dragon on 'Magic' steroids, if only for a short time. That's how Necromancers wrork, after all - the more Blight they have in them, the more powerful they become.

Unless DD Zombies are *not* immune to the same Undead Blight that created them and instead of being upright cadavers that contain a dangerous and nearly-incurable magical pathogen, they just continue to rot and crumble to dust even before the host expires OH NO WAIT IT'S NOT THAT AT ALL!

I don't see where we go from here. Either Luna just turned the Zombie Dragon into an UBER-Zombie Dragon, or there can't be any zombes in DD because they are all consumed by the Blight that created them.... And the latter of those statements has already been shown false.....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I don't see where we go from here. Either Luna just turned the Zombie Dragon into an UBER-Zombie Dragon, or there can't be any zombes in DD because they are all consumed by the Blight that created them.... And the latter of those statements has already been shown false.....
    Where we go from here? Obviously we jump cut to Nimmel and the Tark Klones. By the time we get back, Mookie will have forgotten about this little problem, and so everything will be better.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

to be fair it's not just blight that's being shot out it's enough magic power to fling the blast all the way to another country and cover that country.

think of it like someone shooting a bag of vitamins at you out of a cannon.

with out knowing how much if any kinetic force is contained in the blasts we cant have a way of knowing what would happen when the dragon gets hit.

alternatively that energy is completely uncontrolled have you heard the saying to much of a good thing. blight animates things it also rots them depending on how its used. that much raw energy might just leave you with an animated pile off goo incapable of movement.

growing stronger is certainly plausible but it is not the only plausible outcome of getting hit by those attacks

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Logically, one would imagine that you could take a dead dragon, fill it full of Necromantic magic, and end up with a nasty Undead Zombie Dragon.

Then if you take a nasty Undead Zombie Dragon and pump it to the gills with raw, unbridled Necromancy in unprecedented quantities, you'd get the equivalent of a nasty Undead Zombie Dragon on 'Magic' steroids, if only for a short time. That's how Necromancers wrork, after all - the more Blight they have in them, the more powerful they become.

Unless DD Zombies are *not* immune to the same Undead Blight that created them and instead of being upright cadavers that contain a dangerous and nearly-incurable magical pathogen, they just continue to rot and crumble to dust even before the host expires OH NO WAIT IT'S NOT THAT AT ALL!

The blight bombs have two portions. The blight, and the huge honking explosion meant to spread said blight when they hit. The dragon may absorb the blight part of the bomb, but the rest is going to turn him into mulch. He just took the hits meant to corrupt/destroy every other nation on the planet right on the chin.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #1080

OldWizardGuy

Perhaps the Dragon portion of his Dragon Zombie is immune to explosions, and the Zombie portion is energized by blight.