New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Apparently Barthis is exactly midway between Callan's capitol and Maltak.
    Hy knew it!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    How tiny is this world that they can tell which country the bomb is headed for just by its general direction? Or did he do some superfast magical trajectory calculations?
    No, you dont get it, Callan is in the geographical center of the world. Every other nation is a perfect compass point away from where the walking castle monstrosity is standing. Therefore if the blight bomb goes east, it hits maltak, if it goes west, it hits elfington, if it goes south it hits the furries, if it goes north it hits the wild edge. Barthis just happens to be on the road to maltak. Thank god nerco boy was hanging out there to remind us death isnt zombies.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    No, you dont get it, Callan is in the geographical center of the world. Every other nation is a perfect compass point away from where the walking castle monstrosity is standing. Therefore if the blight bomb goes east, it hits maltak, if it goes west, it hits elfington, if it goes south it hits the furries, if it goes north it hits the wild edge. Barthis just happens to be on the road to maltak. Thank god nerco boy was hanging out there to remind us death isnt zombies.
    My theory is that the only places that exist, are places that we are supposed to care about.
    Since this is a country sized bomb, and Maltak is the only big place besides Callan, it's really the only place it can go to.

Besides, what other way is there to add the orc characters to the "everyone contributes" ending?

4. - Top - End - #1264

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    My theory is that the only places that exist, are places that we are supposed to care about.
    Since this is a country sized bomb, and Maltak is the only big place besides Callan, it's really the only place it can go to.

Besides, what other way is there to add the orc characters to the "everyone contributes" ending?
    Yeah, somehow, even though all the magic is gone from the place, they will summon the swarms of nakta and bikta needed to pull a holy from the ff7 meteor destruction cinematic. Or jacob will hover in mid air and take it on the chin to show he can handle mega blight and snuggly corruption with his awesome deegan manliness.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, somehow, even though all the magic is gone from the place, they will summon the swarms of nakta and bikta needed to pull a holy from the ff7 meteor destruction cinematic. Or jacob will hover in mid air and take it on the chin to show he can handle mega blight and snuggly corruption with his awesome deegan manliness.
    Here is my prediction:

Since the orcs are... well... orcs, they cannot do anything without the direct help of a Deegan.
    Orcs will be supportive role only, buffing Luna with the nakta and Jacob with the Bitka (or is it the other way around?)
    With their power combined, Luna and Jacob will beat whatever it is this blight bomb is supposed to do, and the readers will feel slightly more nauseated than usual.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

That beak in panel 7, I can't unsee it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #1267

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    That beak in panel 7, I can't unsee it.
    Thats not a beak, its a second mouth.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ogre in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are we supposed to know who that old wise orc is? Because I don't.

And what's with the brackets around the speech?

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Are we supposed to know who that old wise orc is? Because I don't.

And what's with the brackets around the speech?
    Man, I have no idea who beardy McOrc is, but the brackets are Mookie's way of showing they're speaking in Orcish.

I, for one, am glad that a Deegan is around is solve further problems for the Orcs. It'd be a shame if the Orcs could ever figure out something for themselves
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #1271

Isnt that angry orc guy? The one who punched astral dom in the head?

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No, it's Adrak Bulgak or whatever, brother of Bulgak Adrak, son of Outrage Chief. The sickly orc who bonded with Jacob in Orc Purgatory. That's how he looks when he's not sickly.

With Jacob turning into a mega Deegan, I'm sure it's not long before Greg joins in somehow.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, the wisdom these primitive people possess. So close to nature, they are; connected to it, you could even say. We can learn so much from them if we only listen, listen to their ululations as they dance under the moonlight.

Unngh.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Man, I have no idea who beardy McOrc is, but the brackets are Mookie's way of showing they're speaking in Orcish.
    It's Adrak Bulgak, brother of Bulgak Adrak. Jacob killed him at some point, when he was a racist for reasons of villainy.

EDIT: Too late.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2013-01-08 at 12:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1274

Merge this with the strip from yesterday and we might have a half decent strip.

Jacob: "Time to test what I really learned about death in Maltak."
    Orc Teacher: Life and death are like one mmaaannnn. Oh, and believe in yourself.
    (Jacob shoots an irritated 4th wall breaking glance at the recollection.)
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2013-01-08 at 02:26 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1275

"Nature is balance. Blight is imbalance. Blight is natural. Undeath is unnatural. You have wielded the blighted powers of undeath, and so you are close to nature. I actually have no idea what I'm saying; good luck figuring it out on your own."

Is that the gist of Adrak's speech?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Is that the gist of Adrak's speech?
    Pretty much yes.

And on that note. Akta and Nakta Mookie, really? Let's ignore the fact that the brackets indicate he is speaking orcish, and that you just included two random "orc words" in what should all be orcish. Instead let's revisit how badly sounding those two words are.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2013-01-08 at 03:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Dominic Deegan would've been a much better comic if it was called Snominic Sneegan.

In other news, am I the only one who constantly has to look at the newspost to see who the hell characters in any given page are?

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Troll in the Playground

Believe in the Mookie who believes in you! Because what Deegans really need is an ego boost.

^@Neoriceisgood: Is it bad that I seem to never have that problem? In any other comic, it would be a good thing, but in Deegan...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Ah, the wisdom these primitive people possess. So close to nature, they are; connected to it, you could even say. We can learn so much from them if we only listen, listen to their ululations as they dance under the moonlight.

Unngh.
    A white man will lead them.

EDIT: I've been catching up with the SA thread now that the paywall's down, and it seems we missed this newspost. As always, it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    On 2013 resolutions...
    January 2, 2013 Posted by Mookie

For those of you interested in my everyday life, here are some of the resolutions I've made for 2013:

- Get myself in shape. I'm getting older and I need to properly maintain what I've got.
    - Take more photographs. My deviantArt gallery has been somewhat neglected and I mean to fix that.
    - Find a spot to do more stargazing. I was a hungry "astronomer" in 2011 but slacked off quite a bit in 2012. I need to put my eyes back on the stars.
    - Keep up answering emails, but get better at replying to messages on Facebook and Twitter.

And finally, here's a little "art project" I'm doing. I shaved my head and all my facial hair when 2013 hit. Now I'm going to let it all grow back, taking a photo of myself once-a-day for the whole year. The only things I'll be shaving are my neck (cuz nobody likes a neck-beard) and my moustache (cuz my wife hates kissing a moustache). Some may say I'll be growing an amish beard. Me? I'll be calling it my Uncle Iroh beard.
    (If you don't know who Uncle Iroh is, go watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. You'll thank me.)
    (If you don't like Uncle Iroh, then I don't know what to say to you.)
    (If you didn't cry like a baby when Uncle Iroh sang "Leaves From The Vine," then you may not have a soul.)

That's all from me for now.
    Rock on and geek out.
    The Face of God really is a Sozin's comet ripoff. You can't make this stuff up.

Adrak's nonsense waffle in today's comic even sounds like Mookie trying to imitate Iroh's dialogues about balance and self-confidence. And failing spectacularly.

Oh my God, Adrak's criticism of "warped necromancy" even reminds me of Iroh's morally superior emotion based firebending as opposed to his nation's corrupted, hate based version.

I'm now reading this drivel in Iroh's voice. This is awful. I hate this comic.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2013-01-08 at 08:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1279

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    Pretty much yes.

And on that note. Akta and Nakta Mookie, really? Let's ignore the fact that the brackets indicate he is speaking orcish, and that you just included two random "orc words" in what should all be orcish. Instead let's revisit how badly sounding those two words are.
    Those are proper nouns. Objecting to that is like objecting to the word Maltak being included as "orc speech" Im all for picking apart ****ty writing, and there is a lot of it here, but I think we can give him a pass on not providing us with an english version of the words for their kind of magic.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

Those are proper nouns. Objecting to that is like objecting to the word Maltak being included as "orc speech" Im all for picking apart ****ty writing, and there is a lot of it here, but I think we can give him a pass on not providing us with an english version of the words for their kind of magic.
    I agree with you. There probably isn't an English equivalent.

Maybe "positive energy" and "negative energy".
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2013-01-08 at 08:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1281

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    A white man will lead them.
    I spotted that immediately, too. It's Orcish magic, unknown outside of Maltak for hundreds of years, but the ONLY person who can get it right is a Deegan who heard about it a few weeks ago.

That's just..... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E
    I agree with you. There probably isn't an English equivalent.

Maybe "positive energy" and "negative energy".
    Given the contexts as they have been presented - both are natural, in balance and exist in all things - and given what mages can actually do with them, I have interpreted Akta and Nakta to be pretty much the same as White and Black Magic.

Compare Gregory buffing up the jock team the Orcs being made big and burly with Akta, and then compare Dominic getting boosted with Black Magic - or Jacobs misuse of Necromancy - with the murderous use of Nakta. They even looks the same when in use, having white and black auras, respectively.

Not that any of that means anything; Dominic Deegan not being well known for things actually looking like what they're supposed to be, and all.....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #1282

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I spotted that immediately, too. It's Orcish magic, unknown outside of Maltak for hundreds of years, but the ONLY person who can get it right is a Deegan who heard about it a few weeks ago.

That's just..... bad.
    And the reason the Deegan is a superior mage is because he dedicated his life to learning an "unnatural" magic in a dispassionate amoral manner. Basically he's better because he didn't follow the orcish ideals of balance, nature and whatnot and learned everything about necromancy, both the bad and the (eventual) good. At this point, I can only assume not even Mookie believes in the whole orcs are superior marlarky.

23. - Top - End - #1283

GnomeWizardGuy

And naturally Jacob who dedicated his whole life to understanding all there is about death magic knew nothing about the Nakta until he stumbled into Maltak.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Those are proper nouns.
    You know what, you are completely correct. Complaint retracted in earnest, sorry Mookie my bad.

Now that said, if undeath and necromancy are unbalanced, and if Jacob is going to balance his necromancy to be more in tune with natural life/death cycles. Does that mean this whole thing is so he can basically cross class into druid?
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2013-01-08 at 08:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky

Future

Is panel 7 a flashback to his recent failure, or is it now, and Jayden just appeared out of nowhere?

Also, as things are going now, seems like we can forget about complex theories and predictions, since apparently what Jacob needed is just to believe in himself.

26. - Top - End - #1286

OldWizardGuy

pretty sure it's a flashback, he's facing a different direction and I don't see clouds in the background.

27. - Top - End - #1287

There, you see! The trick to defeating the Blight is self-confidence! Remember, it's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Also, is it just me, or did Mookie manage to establish "tension," then resolve it in literally the very next panel? That's got to be a record, even for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #1288

So after throwing a bunch of nonsensical mumble jumble at us, Mookie gives up even trying to explain anything and just gives us "Deegan suddenly gets stronger and saves the day." Why am I not surprised

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Bugbear in the Playground

NOTHING trumps the power of confidence and the power of love!

Barfs

30. - Top - End - #1290

GnomeWizardGuy

No you see last time Jacob had too much confidence, now he has just the right amount. It's all about balance.

Also is Jacob anywhere near the sludge comet or doesn't it matter?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2013-01-09 at 01:23 AM.