New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Bronze Delegates, Qwertys?
    Yes, bronze statutes of the people who wrote the Constitution.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-10-24 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

There are times when the architect and the person who greenlit it should be dragged through the streets and pelted with whatever kind of poisonous cabbage equivalents Australians have.

I daresay that edifice is one of them.
    Oh well... There's nothing that can be done about it now.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    So...? Have you ever seen 'Richard III'? Or 'Macbeth'? "False face must hide what the false heart doth know."
    ...No and no. =/ ...which is a little sad

Make him an antihero, or a tragic villain. Make us understand why he commits the foul deeds he does, make us sympathize with him for a moment, and then make us feel dirty for it.
    *shrug* maybe, maybe not. He's fighting a race of antiheroes in a story that's supposed to be lighthearted and funny most of the time so that the few tragic events have some serious weight.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Oh NOW I get why you were confused... Wrong picture. Here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    At least it wasn't the terracotta army...

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    QPAC is the Queensland Performing Arts Centre. It's part of the cultural centre that the government built in South Bank.
    There's not really a story there, it's just a dull and unattractive building.

It also needs cleaning.
    See, I rather like brutalist architecture & think that building is neat. Even though I understand why it is generally considered ugly, I wish I could help people unsee their aesthetic expectations!

There is a very modernist building on the campus where I work [not quite brutalist, but close] that is also frequently considered ugly. The University had a number of older buildings crowded onto a small inner-city campus, and rather than purchase any surrounding property, they opted for a rather innovative design that "perched" atop the existing structures.

The campus before [being prepared for building]:
    Spoiler
    Show

& after, from roughly the same spot:
    Spoiler
    Show

& from the air [the black snaking building with tan roof]:
    Spoiler
    Show

Its original modernist design, featuring huge open spaces and a facade almost completely glass, has been liquidated over the years for privacy and more classrooms & offices. Understandable, but an unfortunate violation of its concept. -- a unique concept very much following an explicit philosophy as well as an aesthetic.

I would love to go through your QPAC [built in the late 70s I imagine?] and see how the modernist-brutalist aesthetic at work in its facade informs the interior!

I'm not sure why I bothered posting all of that. Perhaps because I feel like modernist architecture is underappreciated. I don't mean to direct it at you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Heh, talking in programming terms around non-programmers yields pretty much the same reaction, but rather than "this is math I don't understand", you're going to get "this is gibberish I don't understand". Especially if the discussion is in Swenglish.

But such is the life of the programmer, you have to be careful with your char stars and make sure that the variables are correctly defined, or you're going to index out of bounds, and segfaulting is never fun.
    *clutches head in pain* It hurts, Teddy, it hurts

IRN:
    Speaking about programming, had my C exam today. I forgot the precedence order for ++ in method calls (pretty sure it was never brought up in the lectures to start with, actually) and I derped out on what regression tests are as well (but so did everyone else, so there's no point in feeling stupid about that), but the points I could lose on those questions are still fewer than the bonus points I brought with me to the exam, so I'm not especially worried about my grade as a whole.
    That is a far better tale than your last exam! Good job.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-10-24 at 01:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    See, I rather like brutalist architecture & think that building is neat. Even though I understand why it is generally considered ugly, I wish I could help people unsee their aesthetic expectations!
    Brutalism just doesn't go with a place that is supposed to invite people to provide their patronage to and exhibit the performing arts. You can't just plunk down architecture without considering the function of the building!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

*clutches head in pain* It hurts, Teddy, it hurts
    Yeah, I should be careful with my words and stay aware of other's knowledge in the subject, or else I'm going to say something completely over their head, and they're just going to give up.

Also, sorry!
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-10-24 at 02:04 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399

Yeah, I should be careful with my words and stay aware of other's knowledge in the subject, or else I'm going to say something completely over their head, and they're just going to give up.

Also, sorry!
    Well, don't worry about that atleast in regards to me. I may not understand but I will do my best to make sense of it!

It helps that you're good at explaining things.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Emily's doing better, apparently. They switched her to 'the other vent' (not sure what that means) and she squeezed her mother's hand, so she's starting to show responsiveness.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Well, don't worry about that atleast in regards to me. I may not understand but I will do my best to make sense of it!

It helps that you're good at explaining things.
    Yeah, at least when I try. Given, trying to teach the precedence rules for ++ in C to the general mass would still be tricky. And pointless (not to be confused with "pointerless", which it definitely wouldn't be).

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Emily's doing better, apparently. They switched her to 'the other vent' (not sure what that means) and she squeezed her mother's hand, so she's starting to show responsiveness.
    Good to hear. My own view on medical science might be overly optimistic in general, but I have good hopes for your cousin's recovery.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-10-24 at 02:36 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

That's good to hear. What is it? The flu?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #403

Yeah, at least when I try. Given, trying to teach the precedence rules for ++ in C to the general mass would still be tricky. And pointless (not to be confused with "pointerless", which it definitely wouldn't be).
    Yha, I know what you mean. As much as I can anyway

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Brutalism just doesn't go with a place that is supposed to invite people to provide their patronage to and exhibit the performing arts. You can't just plunk down architecture without considering the function of the building!
    What does that mean? How does the design clash with its function?

Brutalism is an unfortunate false friend of our word brutal. It comes of the French brut, raw/rough/uncut, referring to the style's use of unclad concrete [although it looks like that building might be limestone?].

The concert hall and art gallery in my city are both brutalist, and thrive.

I am glad to hear that.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-10-24 at 02:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

What does that mean? How does the design clash with its function?

Brutalism is an unfortunate false friend of our word brutal. It comes of the French brut, raw/rough/uncut, referring to the style's use of unclad concrete.

I am glad to hear that.
    And brutal comes from the French word "brut". Which can also mean "coarse, brutal, raw, crude," and comes from Latin's brutus - "heavy, dull, stupid,". They're not false friends, they're from the same root and branch.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

That's good to hear. What is it? The flu?
    Not sure - sometimes mom says bacterial infection, sometimes pneumonia.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

And brutal comes from the French word "brut". Which can also mean "coarse, brutal, raw, crude," and comes from Latin's brutus - "heavy, dull, stupid,". They're not false friends, they're from the same root and branch.
    Their meaning differs significantly from English to French -- it has a pejorative and violent meaning in English. False friends can still come of the same root, and frequently do among Romances.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-10-24 at 02:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Pneumonia could mean bacterial infection, and that's good news. Just pump her full of antibiotics and she'll live. Don't expect her to move quickly or do anything strenuous for a couple of months though.

Their meaning differs significantly from English to French -- it has a pejorative and violent meaning in English. False friends can still come of the same root, and frequently do among Romances.
    How do you call someone coarse, brutal, raw and crude and not have it be pejorative?
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-10-24 at 02:51 PM.

― Tim Fargo

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Pneumonia could mean bacterial infection, and that's good news. Just pump her full of antibiotics and she'll live. Don't expect her to move quickly or do anything strenuous for a couple of months though.
    As I mentioned last night she has a lot of fluid in her lungs and THAT'S what the doctors were concerned about. As far as I can tell

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you call someone coarse, brutal, raw and crude and not have it be pejorative?
    In French, you can say "le bois est brut." The wood is rough. There's no value judgement.

In English, you cannot call anything brutal without it being pejorative.

Trust me, I'm right.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

In French, you can say "le bois est brut." The wood is rough. There's no value judgement.

In English, you cannot call anything brutal without it being pejorative.

Trust me, I'm right.
    Like the game "Brutal Legend" or the Alice Cooper concert "Brutally Live"?

― Tim Fargo

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Like the game "Brutal Legend" or the Alice Cooper concert "Brutally Live"?
    I don't know that that's really a fair comparison...for the metal culture, brutal doesn't have a different meaning so much as the qualities that would be found distasteful by most of society are being glorified, if that makes any sense...
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Metal.. Culture? If any deserve the negative english honorific of barbaric, it is those uncultured fellows of whom i share a bit of musical taste. But I guess pubk can also take that title, and have a good claim to it.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Metal.. Culture? If any deserve the negative english honorific of barbaric, it is those uncultured fellows of whom i share a bit of musical taste. But I guess pubk can also take that title, and have a good claim to it.
    Uncultured? I know a number of metalheads and one third of them are studying medicine. The number is 3
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2012-10-24 at 03:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    Uncultured? I know a number of metalheads and one third of them are studying medicine. The number is 3
    =P

If you had met me a few months ago, it would have been half the metalheads you know! =O

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    =P

If you had met me a few months ago, it would have been half the metalheads you know! =O
    I find it difficult to see you as studying medicine. I actually mean metalheadedness, you smart gai, medicine is underachieving.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-10-24 at 04:59 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I find it difficult to see you as studying medicine. I actually mean metalheadedness, you smart gai, medicine is underachieving.
    Really? That's...huh. Why can't you see it, if I may ask? And yes, I read white text, too. =P

28. - Top - End - #418
    Bugbear in the Playground

So... frustrated...

(yes, there's a story here).

OK, so my dad is pretty much the best DM ever, but he's decided that with all of us kids off at college, he's done DMing, so he gave me all of his old notes. The guy has - for one campaign world that he designed - 11 pages of notes on random cities and various locations within them. The frustrating part is that I found this old dungeon he designed, and it's clear that part of it is a chess puzzle. I enjoy a game of chess every now and again, and literally every single player in my campaign was on their high school chess team, so I figured I'd try and see what the puzzle was. That's the ONE DUNGEON I can't find any notes for. *weeps bitter tears*.

IRN: What the heck is logarithmic graph paper used for?
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Silly Mutant. It's not metal heads that're a curse. It's us punks that are the miscreants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    So... frustrated...

(yes, there's a story here).

OK, so my dad is pretty much the best DM ever, but he's decided that with all of us kids off at college, he's done DMing, so he gave me all of his old notes. The guy has - for one campaign world that he designed - 11 pages of notes on random cities and various locations within them. The frustrating part is that I found this old dungeon he designed, and it's clear that part of it is a chess puzzle. I enjoy a game of chess every now and again, and literally every single player in my campaign was on their high school chess team, so I figured I'd try and see what the puzzle was. That's the ONE DUNGEON I can't find any notes for. *weeps bitter tears*.

IRN: What the heck is logarithmic graph paper used for?
    You plot things, and the resultant slope gives you information about it. I don't really know how else to word it. >.<