New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Same here, trying to figure out what the arcing theme would be and the best I can think of are glorious Science! and possibly equality.
    No idea how you get equality out of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    So. Completely 3D, probably another 100+ new Pokes and names that completely leave behind the traditional patterns.
    How so? The games have names that seem to step away from tradition, but they fit nicely with the pairings we have had so far (Red/Green, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, Diamond/Pearl, Black/White). With the exception of Black and White, each of them are not-quite-opposites with a complementary third unit.

The starters are pretty much 3/3 on traditional Pokémon-type names.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Yup, coordinate planes. My friend and I decided that X version will be completely horizontal, while Y version will take place in a (vertical) skyscraper.
    1.) Axes, which make a plane...
    2.) In the usual orientation of the axes, the XY plane is horizontal, with the Z axis being the vertical one.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

On paper, Y is vertical while X is left-right and Z is depth.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post

How so? The games have names that seem to step away from tradition, .
    That's exactly what I meant.

They're the first main games since Crystal that aren't a color.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

That's exactly what I meant.

They're the first main games since Crystal that aren't a color.
    Other than Diamond and Pearl. The other gem ones could go either way as to whether they're colors, but Diamond and Pearl aren't colors any more than Crystal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Other than Diamond and Pearl. The other gem ones could go either way as to whether they're colors, but Diamond and Pearl aren't colors any more than Crystal is.
    Pearl actually is a color.

Diamond isn't unless you want to call it colorless, so I forgot that one.

Edit:

And I'm wrong again.

There is a color called Diamond. It's Hex #7D1242.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2013-01-08 at 07:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

I thought crystal was like a milky pale blue?

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I thought crystal was like a milky pale blue?
    Got an example? Because I'm not finding any color called Crystal, let alone one in the shades of blue. Though I'll be highly amused if every single Pokemon version to date was a color.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Does this mean males can get both versions, but females are only allowed X?
    It's sexism I tell you! I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to Nintendo immediately!

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Pearl actually is a color.

Diamond isn't unless you want to call it colorless, so I forgot that one.
    Um... pearls aren't always one particular color any more than diamonds are. A really perfectly colorless diamond isn't even average, it's just a sort of standard.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #460
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    It's sexism I tell you! I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to Nintendo immediately!
    And I'm canceling my pre-order!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    But you can't do that anyway, since your time in the DW is limited by your account, and not your game - I can log in and play in the DW with all four of my Gen V games at once, provided I gamesync them one after the other - but I still don't get more than an hour total, in the DW before I get timed out.
    I don't believe it has anything to do with the Dream World, but with the daily/monthly activities in game. You'd have to check the code, but my wager is that when the game is plugged into a DS is checks the clock and DS's ID and notes them somewhere. Then it saves that info, checks it against the DS next time its turned on and it doesn't match what the game is looking for then it automatically locks out all time based activities. I've done the same thing to my own games by testing whether or not the calendar could be changed on the same DS unit.

As for new games, yay!
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

12. - Top - End - #462
    Barbarian in the Playground

Holy guacamole I can't believe it. Finally, after so much time!

Gotta say that my heart was racing while it was happening right before my eyes, but the screen wasn't lying and finally... I got a shiny Audino.

Spoiler
    Show

Also, something called X and Y was announced?

In all seriousness (regarding GEN 6), at first the only starter that I liked was the chipmunk, but after realizing that the frog has spectacles... I think I'm in love. The fennec fox is cool too, but I'll reserve my love until I'm absolutely certain that Trollfreak won't give us yet another Fire/Fighting starter.

Damn... I need to buy a 3DS now.
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice shiny!

And yeah, the frog is adorable. He's got tiny little glasses!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thormag View Post
    Holy guacamole I can't believe it. Finally, after so much time!

Gotta say that my heart was racing while it was happening right before my eyes, but the screen wasn't lying and finally... I got a shiny Audino.

Spoiler
    Show

Also, something called X and Y was announced?

In all seriousness (regarding GEN 6), at first the only starter that I liked was the chipmunk, but after realizing that the frog has spectacles... I think I'm in love. The fennec fox is cool too, but I'll reserve my love until I'm absolutely certain that Trollfreak won't give us yet another Fire/Fighting starter.

Damn... I need to buy a 3DS now.
    ...Black2 and White2? What does that have to do with the rest of your post?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    ...Black2 and White2? What does that have to do with the rest of your post?
    I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not, but Black2/White2 is part of the fifth generation.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thormag View Post
    I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not, but Black2/White2 is part of the fifth generation.
    ...If it adds new pokemon that can never be obtained in any older game, including through trading, it's a new generation to me. What's your definition?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

...If it adds new pokemon that can never be obtained in any older game, including through trading, it's a new generation to me. What's your definition?
    So the addition of Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W is enough for a new generation? Actually, are those Formes or is it a permanant two-for-one swap? I've been repeatedly distracted and only just got to Victory Road's entrance in my B2.

Personally, I take it to mean a new region*. Which usually also comes with new pokemon. Adding a route and two alt-forms doesn't count.

*not including spinoffs
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #468

New Pokémon, new region, new characters and new moves. Black2/White2 gives you new characters and Kyurem-W/B and the Kami trio formes, but I wouldn't consider them "new" Pokémon.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, it would be like saying Pt/HG/SS should be considered a different generation since it gave new forms to Rotom.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's see. With Giratina-O, Speed Deoxys, and Kyurem-B/W, that would put us at- Generation 9. Damn, Nintendo's really getting ahead of itself.

Actually, Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen introduced Deoxys attack and defense, so Generation 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Yeah, it would be like saying Pt/HG/SS should be considered a different generation since it gave new forms to Rotom.
    Oh, sorry, forgot about this. Generation 11.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2013-01-08 at 11:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I define a new generation as one that brings us a new region with new starters.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Um... pearls aren't always one particular color any more than diamonds are. A really perfectly colorless diamond isn't even average, it's just a sort of standard.
    Boom

And

Boom:
    Diamond #7D1242 73% 95% 100% 190° 100% 86% 100% 100%
    ( Reference)

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So the addition of Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W is enough for a new generation? Actually, are those Formes or is it a permanant two-for-one swap? I've been repeatedly distracted and only just got to Victory Road's entrance in my B2.
    Those are Formes, and you can switch in and out of them freely by using the DNA Splicers... use the Splicers and select either Reshiram or Zekrom to fuse, then use the Splicers again to de-fuse.
    Bad definition unless you want to say that we're in Gen VII... Platinum did what BW2 did with regards to Formes (Origin Giratina and Appliance Rotom, similarly to Black/White Kyurem and Therian Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus).

A better definition would be in regards to a major change in the main series: a new region, a large number of completely new Pokémon (not simply form changes), new moves, new items, and major code changes.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't it safe to say that what sets one generation apart from another is the introduction of new starters?

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Starters look promising, I concur above, it certainly looks like Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting and Grass/something (I missed the second move, but Grass/Dark does sound rather jolly for a change.)
    Cacturne would like to give you a hug right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Pokemon X and Y: A version for her and him. *nodnod*
    That, and the creepy fanfiction writes itself!

---

Well, the thing that has me excited is that I saw Mr. Froggy's second attack actually touched the defending pokemon in the battle visualization. I mean, I'm still not getting my hopes up, 'cause that sort of thing was in the PBR previews and all the other attacks followed the old cut-out style, but hooray! Progress! STILL PICKING THE GRASS STARTER.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

I figure that the "third" games are going to be XX and XY.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

27. - Top - End - #477

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Cacturne would like to give you a hug right now.
    Shiftry says hi.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, but Cacturne hugging someone just has more schadenfreude.

...Did I seriously just spell that word right the first time around!?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I figure that the "third" games are going to be XX and XY.
    Z is more likely, IMO.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Let's see. With Giratina-O, Speed Deoxys, and Kyurem-B/W, that would put us at- Generation 9. Damn, Nintendo's really getting ahead of itself.

Actually, Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen introduced Deoxys attack and defense, so Generation 10.

Oh, sorry, forgot about this. Generation 11.
    FR and LG gave us Deoxys forms that could not be obtained even between each other. They should each be a separate generation, like how Emerald apparently does.

R/B/Y - Generation 1.

G/S/C - Generation 2.

Ruby/Sapphire make generation 3.

FireRed gave us Deoxys Attack. Generation 4.

LeafGreen gave us Deoxys Defense. Generation 5.

Emerald gave us Deoxys Speed. Generation 6.

Diamond/Pearl. Generation 7.

Platinum gives us Giratina Origin etc. Generation 8.

HeartGold/SoulSilver gives us Spiky-Eared Pichu. Generation 9.

Black/White. Generation 10.

Black 2/White 2. Generation 11.

X/Y. Generation 12.

Am I missing any?
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-01-08 at 11:45 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.