New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3241
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

A1597

Yes, according to Enlarge Person spell from the SRD, multiple magical sources of size increases don't stack. Mountain Rage however is an (Ex) effect, and thus should stack with a separate magical size increase from another source such as Expansion.

Been corrected.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2013-05-09 at 06:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #3242
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1597 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Rage
    When he rages, his size category increases to Large.
    While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.
    Concentration

To manifest a power, you must concentrate
    While raging, the Goliath Barbarian with Mountain Rage becomes Large size, always. That's different from increasing to the next size category, and any prior use of Expansion is overridden. When the Psychic Warrior/Barbarian is raging they are prevented from manifesting any power, so Expansion is impossible after they use Mountain Rage.

No stacking of these two effects is possible.

Edit: @Aegis013: There is no Q 1598 yet.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-05-09 at 06:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1597 No. While raging, the Goliath Barbarian with Mountain Rage becomes Large size, always. That's different from increasing to the next size category, and any prior use of Expansion is overridden. When the Psychic Warrior/Barbarian is raging they are prevented from manifesting any power, so Expansion is impossible after they use Mountain Rage.

No stacking of these two effects is possible.

Edit: @Aegis013: There is no Q 1598 yet.
    Q 1598 What if it is a psionic tattoo and someone else smacks it?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

4. - Top - End - #3244
    Titan in the Playground

A1598: Only the wearer can activate a tattoo, and because a successful attack of opportunity provoked by activating a tattoo forces a Concentration check, it's clearly something that requires concentration. Therefore, it's not usable within a rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #3245
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1599

The Shadow Creature template (LoM p.167) gives the creature the Shadow Blend ability: giving total concealment in all but daylight. Since you cannot make attacks of opportunity against creatures with concealment relative to you, am I correct in assuming unless you have some way of bypassing the concealment, that you cannot make AoO against a Shadow Creature?

6. - Top - End - #3246
    Titan in the Playground

A1599: Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #3247
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 1600

Can an Incantatrix use Cooperative Metamagic or Metamagic Effect to modify a spell that was cast from a wand (e.g. to persist a Warlock's Shield spell that he activated by UMDing an Eternal Wand of Shield) ?
    Last edited by Amiria; 2013-05-10 at 05:10 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #3248
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q1601

Does Dragonhide armor give any benefits other then 10 hardness per inch 10 HP? (DMG p284)

For some reason I keep thinking you get energy resistance based on the dragon, is this just an old addition/house rule hang up?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

9. - Top - End - #3249
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A 1600 Incantantrix can use Metamagic Effect (to affect persistent spell effect already in place) but not Cooperative Metamagic (the spell is not cast by allied spellcaster).

A 1601 Druids can wear it. There are dragonhide armors that grant energy resistance but they are much more expensive than regular dragonhide armor.

10. - Top - End - #3250
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1601 additional

The armor itself is immune to whatever types of energy the dragon was immune to (ex: red dragon armor is immune to fire), but it does not confer that benefit to the wearer.

And don't forget the most important benefit of dragonhide armor: it makes you look like a badass.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2013-05-10 at 05:56 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #3251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q 1602

Does the Infernal Wound ability of a Barbazu (bearded devil) stack with itself? In other words: if you're hit two/three/four times with the glaive, do you lose four/six/eight hit points per round?

12. - Top - End - #3252
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1602 Yes.

Damage stacks unless there's an explicit exception noted in the rules, and this extra damage is per wound. Do note that any successful healing spell will stop all ongoing damage from all Infernal Wounds.

13. - Top - End - #3253

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    A 1601 Druids can wear it. There are dragonhide armors that grant energy resistance but they are much more expensive than regular dragonhide armor.
    The armor itself is immune to whatever types of energy the dragon was immune to (ex: red dragon armor is immune to fire), but it does not confer that benefit to the wearer.

And don't forget the most important benefit of dragonhide armor: it makes you look like a badass.
    Cheers guys
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

14. - Top - End - #3254
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1603

I asked a question a long time ago about racial bonuses and stacking (i.e. would racial bonuses to the same skills stack if they came from the base creature and a template). I believe the answer was yes.

Can someone point me to the relative section of the rules? I can't find where it actually says this - the only bonus which I can see as specifically able to stack with itself is dodge...

15. - Top - End - #3255
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1603

It's in the magic chapter, of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook 3.5, page 171
    With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus works

16. - Top - End - #3256

Flumph

Q1604: Can a geomancerCD with levels in a spontaneous spellcasting class cast all spells spontaneously thanks to the Spell Versatility class feature?

I.e can a cleric/sorcerer/geomancer cast his cleric spells spontaneously?
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

17. - Top - End - #3257
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A1604No. Second sentence of the clas feature says that geomancer still acquires and prepares it's spells normally.

18. - Top - End - #3258

Flumph

A1604No. Second sentence of the clas feature says that geomancer still acquires and prepares it's spells normally.
    Ah, thanks. I missed that.
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

19. - Top - End - #3259
    Dwarf in the Playground

A1601 addition
    If you follow the Draconomicon rules for dragon armor p116, you also gain mithral like qualities and a elemental damage resistance of 5 if the artisan has dragoncraft and if you pay the price.
    Last edited by HurinTheCursed; 2013-05-11 at 04:32 AM.
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

20. - Top - End - #3260
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q 1605
    If a template is added to a demon with the tanar'ri subtype, when it uses it's summon tanar'ri special ability will it summon a normal demon of the same type or a demon of the same type and template as the original demon?

21. - Top - End - #3261
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1605

The demon's summon ability should say what it can summon. They will be normal demons unless specifically mentioned otherwise.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2013-05-11 at 04:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #3262
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1606

What happens if an opposed check is not opposed? For example someone tries to judge the veracity of a truthful statement. So the observer rolls sense motive but the issuer of the statement does not roll bluff.

23. - Top - End - #3263
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 1606

What happens if an opposed check is not opposed? For example someone tries to judge the veracity of a truthful statement. So the observer rolls sense motive but the issuer of the statement does not roll bluff.
    A 1606

Hunch
    This use of the skill involves making a gut assessment of the social situation. You can get the feeling from another’s behavior that something is wrong, such as when you’re talking to an impostor. Alternatively, you can get the feeling that someone is trustworthy.

The Sense Motive skill in this case would have a DC 20 to figure if there's something odd/wrong about the social situation you're in. Fix the DC at 20, and give the player an answer appropriate to the result he rolled.

Spotting a player who's not trying to hide is a mundane task as well, usually, which you wouldn't need to roll, to give another example.

Q 1607 A
    Do Undeads age?

B
    If a Venerable creature becomes an undead, does it keep the Venerable stat changes?

24. - Top - End - #3264
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CardCaptor View Post
    The Sense Motive skill in this case would have a DC 20 to figure if there's something odd/wrong about the social situation you're in. Fix the DC at 20, and give the player an answer appropriate to the result he rolled.
    That is not what I was asking for. I'm talking about someone who tells the truth, but what he says may be hard to believe. Can anyone fail to perceive that he believes he tells the truth (whether what he says is actually the truth, cannot be determined by sense motive anyways)?

Quote Originally Posted by CardCaptor View Post
    Spotting a player who's not trying to hide is a mundane task as well, usually, which you wouldn't need to roll, to give another example.
    So no matter how outrageous the claim, anyone will perceive that the character believes he is not lying?

25. - Top - End - #3265
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1607 A No.

Age adjustments occur as a function of the progression in a creature's lifespan. If the creature does not have a lifespan, it cannot have adjustments for age.

A 1607 B Usually no.

I suppose there may be some mechanism for becoming Undead which would direct you to retain age adjustments existing at the time of your type change, but I don't know of any. Generally you cannot add age adjustments to your character's base abilities if you do not retain the age categories necessary to compute those adjustments.

26. - Top - End - #3266
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    That is not what I was asking for. I'm talking about someone who tells the truth, but what he says may be hard to believe. Can anyone fail to perceive that he believes he tells the truth (whether what he says is actually the truth, cannot be determined by sense motive anyways)?

So no matter how outrageous the claim, anyone will perceive that the character believes he is not lying?
    Yup. Unfortunatelly RAW doesn't account for false-positives for Sense Motive for a bluff (i.e. detecting bluff when there is none).

27. - Top - End - #3267
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q 1608:

If a creature is afflicted with a negative condition that lasts for one round, before its turn has come up, such as a Warblade stunning a Wizard with White Raven Tactics for a turn before the Wizard has had a chance to act, is the condition lifted during that creature's turn, or their next turn?

28. - Top - End - #3268
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1608

Any condition or effect which lasts for 1 round does not end until just before the same initiative count that it started on in the next round.

In other words, if Warblade Bob uses his turn to stun Wizard Steve for one round, Steve will be stunned until just before Bob's next turn.

29. - Top - End - #3269
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yup. Unfortunatelly RAW doesn't account for false-positives for Sense Motive for a bluff (i.e. detecting bluff when there is none).
    While not a raw solution, I usually handle it thusly.

If a player is trying to sense motive someone who is telling the truth, roll the dice for them anyway, and hide the result. The result id of course irrelevant, and no matter how strong the SM from the player, just say something like "It seems like the truth" or "you don't sense a lie".

Whether they think they succeeded or not is up to their imagination, and then the false positiveness is up to the player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebody
    Something Deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebody, possibly same person as above
    Something Funny.

30. - Top - End - #3270
    Orc in the Playground

Q 1609

Where may I find the War Hulk PrC? (It doesn't seem to be on the SRD so I'd like to know what book)
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.