New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132334873 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

A350 extra
    Once you have a maneuver or stance, it counts for qualifying for itself.

You still need to meet initial conditions though. Such as using Steel Wind to qualify for IHS. You can retrain Steel Wind to another maneuver and will still meet IHS's requirements of having one Iron Heart Maneuver (itself).

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 315If you drop an opponent with a Heedless Charge and have the Cleave feat, is the extra attack still performed at the same Attack bonus as the attack that dropped the target, or do you have to use power attack normally?
    A 315: The extra attack from cleave (if applicable) is performed at the same attack bonus as the original attack, including heedless charge and power attack bonuses/penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Heedless Charge
    In addition to normal charge modifiers, you can assign any portion of the attack roll penalty from Power Attack to your Armor Class instead, up to a maximum equal to your base attack bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Attack
    The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
    Heedless charge has no provisions for changing the provisions of Power Attack that it lasts until your next turn. Whatever attack bonuses you used in your initial heedless charge must be used on your cleave attempt.

Q 316 How does Mighty Cleaving work? Do you need to drop two opponents in a round to benefit from it, or do you get two extra attacks once you dropped one opponent?
    A 316:

A mighty cleaving weapon allows a wielder with the Cleave feat to make one additional cleave attempt in a round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave
    If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.
    The Mighty Cleaving weapon property allows the wielder to cleave twice per round, but not twice per dropped creature. A cleave attempt may be made once per creature dropped. The mighty cleaving property grants an additional use per round, much as combat reflexes grants additional attacks of opportunity to characters with sufficient dexterity.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 354

Monk / Totemist With girallon arms and astral vambraces soulmelds and binds that gives them extra natural attacks. Can the full attack consist of punch ( main/primary/etc. ), then claws, then slams? I know that normally one can use 'same limb' thinger, but am I remembering right that this gets ignored if you have a level in monk? Or can slam be used via other body parts?

Q 355

Feral totemist. Already has 2 claw attacks via feral template. If he does the girallon soulmeld/bind for the additional claws. Does he result with 2 Feral Claws attacks and 2 soulmeld claw attacks ( taking the feral damage as better for first 2 )? Or does he get 2 Feral claw attacks and the 4 Claw attacks from the binding of the soulmeld resulting in 6 total claw attacks?

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 356

Can you make a coup de grâce against a cowering enemy?

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

A 356

No, unless you can find a way to get it to go offa fear some way. A cowering enemy can be sneak attack'ed, sudden strike'd, etc. via loss of Dex bonus if I am not mistaken. Basically, an alternative 'form' of coup de grâce.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Q 354

Monk / Totemist With girallon arms and astral vambraces soulmelds and binds that gives them extra natural attacks. Can the full attack consist of punch ( main/primary/etc. ), then claws, then slams? I know that normally one can use 'same limb' thinger, but am I remembering right that this gets ignored if you have a level in monk? Or can slam be used via other body parts?
    This is not a legal soulmeld without a feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind's Eye
    Astral Vambraces
    Descriptors: None
    Classes: Incarnate, soulborn
    Punch is not an attack option for any character. Unarmed strikes are. Unarmed strikes may be made with any part of the body, not just arms/fists. Assuming the character is able to shape Astral Vambraces and Girallon Arms, they may make unarmed strikes, claws, and slam attacks in the same round. Do note penalties for using multiple natural attacks in a single round (-5 unless multiattack feat, in which case -2).

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Banned

No. The ease of use does not change ("without penalty").
    I thought when this was asked before, Curmudgeon came up with a reason why the ease of use was separate from the -2 penalty to attack. It's no longer an inappropriately sized weapon, but it's still a weapon of a larger size category, and thus its handedness changes, disqualifying it if it would move outside the legal range.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 357

What penalties are suffered while climbing, besides the loss of dex to AC? For example, is there a restriction on the use of two-handed weapons?

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 357: The limitations, penalties and benefits of climbing can be found on pg. 69 of the Players Handbook and here. In regards to your specific query, no.

Originally posted by the SRD

You need both hands free to climb, but you may cling to a wall with one hand while you cast a spell or take some other action that requires only one hand. While climbing, you can’t move to avoid a blow, so you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). You also can’t use a shield while climbing.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q346
    If Eagle's Splendor is cast on a Paladin, does he gain more Turn Undead uses and more Lay on Hands points than his usual daily limit? If so, are these "extra" points expended first or last? (EG: I have 2 uses of Turn Undead, then I gain 2 more from Eagle's Splendor, then I use 3 uses, then Eagle's Splendor wears off...do I have a "natural" use left, or did I have to use those before the extra ones from the spell were available?)
    A: Yes, he gets more uses, but they're not points. If he had 4/day uses naturally and now has two more due to Eagle's Splendor, he has 6/day to use. However, once the buff goes away, he only has 4/day. If he had used three already, and gets the buff, and then uses two more, then the buff goes away, he has no more turn undead left today.

JaronK

11. - Top - End - #671
    Orc in the Playground

Q358

Can a single bard produce multiple instances of bardic music: inspire courage?

Q359

Can you hold two different bardic music effects when dual wielding harmonizing weapons?

Example: I have two short swords of harmonizing, I start a bardic music: inspire courage and then stop it having my first sword continue it. I then use bardic music: dragonfire inspiration and stop it having my second sword continue it.

Q360
    Do multiple instances of bardic music: inspire courage stack?
    Last edited by Quintessence; 2013-01-02 at 01:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 358 Yes.

A 360 No, the effects overlap.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

13. - Top - End - #673
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    Q 357

What penalties are suffered while climbing, besides the loss of dex to AC? For example, is there a restriction on the use of two-handed weapons?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    A 357: The limitations, penalties and benefits of climbing can be found on pg. 69 of the Players Handbook and here. In regards to your specific query, no.
    Er...the text you quoted says "in regards to your specific query, yes"...if you have to keep one hand on the wall and are able to use only the other one for other actions, then wielding a two-handed weapon is impossible. (Holding one is probably alright, you just can't use it effectively without a two-handed grip. The rules are not clear on what action is required to shift your grip on a weapon; some DMs will allow it as a free action, potentially allowing you to do things like Power Attack with a 1-H weapon using two hands, then grab onto a wall and spend a move action climbing with one hand while the other holds the weapon, while others will veto this.)

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    A: Yes, he gets more uses, but they're not points. If he had 4/day uses naturally and now has two more due to Eagle's Splendor, he has 6/day to use. However, once the buff goes away, he only has 4/day. If he had used three already, and gets the buff, and then uses two more, then the buff goes away, he has no more turn undead left today.

JaronK
    Re: A346
    This question was already answered, but just to be pedantic: my question was about both Turn Undead "uses" and Lay on Hands "points". For instance, a +1-CHAMOD Paladin 2 has 4 turn undead uses and 2 points of LoH; if he gets Splendored, he gains 2 more TU uses and 4 more points of LOH, but will lose them again if they are still there after the Splendor expires, and cannot spend those temporary uses/points until he's out of his regular ones. That was my question, and it is completely answered on the previous page (by "douglas").
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-02 at 02:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q361

Shrink Item states that it targets a single, nonmagical item. The effect of Dispel Magic on items states that "If you succeed, all the item's magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers on its own. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect." Could you target a temporarily dispelled magic item with Shrink Item? If so, what happens when the 1d4 rounds are over?

Edit: I anticipate an answer of "It can be shrunk, but 1d4 rounds later it ceases to be a valid target and Shrink Item is undone." To be VERY pedantic and RAW-tight, the target of the spell is one touched object, while the spell description says that you shrink one nonmagical object. Once the shrunken object returns to being magical, it is still a valid target of the spell (one touched object) and there is not magical object that is being shrunk by the spell. Just one that, by the spell's effect, is currently in a shrunken state.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2013-01-02 at 03:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 357 Clarification
    One can use a two-handed weapon in one hand while climbing. One cannot attack with a two-handed while climbing.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q 362

A changeling can shape his body but not his outfit and equipment. What about Doppelganger and lv.5 Cabinet Trickster?

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 361

The spells work as stated. A spell target need only be valid at the time of casting. A shrunken item, once the magic returns, behaves normally for a magic item of that size. That is, a magic ring would function if put on the finger of a creature 4 size categories smaller, & c.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    A 357 Clarification
    One can use a two-handed weapon in one hand while climbing. One cannot attack with a two-handed while climbing.
    As far as I know the bolded is false. What "use" does a weapon have other than attacking?

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    As far as I know the bolded is false. What "use" does a weapon have other than attacking?
    A 357 Elaboration

The bolded is not false. One can hold a weapon and use certain enhancements without using the weapon to attack with. The Warning (MIC) enhancement is an example of such use. I assumed the original question was in regards to attacking with a two-handed weapon while climbing, this can't normally be done. I then realized that the use of a weapon is not limited to only attacking. One can use the Warning enhancement of a weapon without attacking with the weapon. Weapons can have uses outside of attacking with them.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2013-01-02 at 09:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 363

Do the rules actually say that two-handed weapons can be held in one hand to activate certain properties? What about just holding them, is that only common sense?

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

A 363: Activation varies depending on the special ability. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Light Generation
    Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical. Such a weapon can’t be concealed when drawn, nor can its light be shut off.

Activation
    Usually a character benefits from a magic weapon in the same way a character benefits from a mundane weapon—by attacking with it. If a weapon has a special ability that the user needs to activate then the user usually needs to utter a command word (a standard action).
    Defending
    A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warning
    A warning weapon grants you a +5 insight bonus on initiative checks as long as it is held.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Blade
    The blade also has a special sunlight power. Once per day, the wielder can swing the blade vigorously above her head while speaking a command word.
    Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons
    This designation is a measure of how much effort it takes to wield a weapon in combat. It indicates whether a melee weapon, when wielded by a character of the weapon’s size category, is considered a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, or a two-handed weapon.
    So some may merely be held (warning, light generation) in order to activate, some require the weapon to be wielded appropriately.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-01-02 at 10:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

So what about just holding a two-handed weapon in one hand?

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

So what about just holding a two-handed weapon in one hand?
    Then it is not wielded, and you only get the abilities that don't require it to be wielded, such as warning, light generation, or others I didn't exhaustively list.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Then it is not wielded, and you only get the abilities that don't require it to be wielded, such as warning, light generation, or others I didn't exhaustively list.
    What I meant was is it explicitly allowed to hold a two-handed weapon in one hand? Common sense say you can, but I was looking for an explicit rule.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

The bastard sword alone in Core Rules has explicit rules for one-handed and two-handed use (one-handed exotic weapon, two-handed martial weapon) as a weapon (that is, wielding). Unless someone can point to an explicit rule, I suspect we have to rely upon this sidebar:

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p136
    This section on world-building assumes that your campaign is set in a fairly realistic world. That is to say that while wizards cast spells, deities channel power to clerics, and dragons raze villages, the world is round, the laws of physics are applicable, and most people act like real people. The reason for this assumption is that unless they are told otherwise, this situation is what your players expect.
    EDIT: There are rules in the PHB/SRD for wielding light and one-handed weapons with two hands. The bastard sword is, I believe, unique in core in that the weapon description has rules for how to treat it differently with either 2 or 1 hands.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-01-02 at 03:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 364:
    Are the spells granted by the feat Arcane Disciple divine spells or arcane spells?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

A 364: Arcane. Look at the description of the feat on p79 of Complete Divine:
    You can learn to cast the spells associated with that domain as arcane spells.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Q365 If a multiclassed cleric takes a domain whose granted power increases caster level for certain spells, does this bonus apply only to cleric spells, or does it apply to any spell he casts? (e.g. If a cleric/wizard with the Evil domain prepares and casts flensing as one of his wizard spells, does he get +1CL to that spell from his domain?)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2013-01-02 at 12:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

A 365: Yes. From the FAQ:
    Unless the domain’s granted power specifically states that it applies only to a limited range of spells, the bonus applies to all spells the cleric casts, regardless of their source.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Q366

Can you teleport into a moving vehicle if it has moved since you last saw it? "Place" seems the key word from the spell description, but it seems to me that a plethora of problems emerge if "place" becomes something that isn't fixed in space. Hit me with some rules interp.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...