New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 78 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2853686970717273747576777879808182838485868788103 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #2311
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by mlanier View Post
    Does touch sight allow you to see it? per srd?
    No.

Touchsight
    allows you to pinpoint an enemy's location within range. Pinpointing, in D&D, means you know which square(s) they occupy, but you do not perceive them accurately enough to target them inside their square(s).

2. - Top - End - #2312
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q1168

If I meet enter a prestige class by meeting the prereqs with an item and I later lose the item, do I lose the prestige class abilities? I've heard the case that since the DMG doesn't state any penalties for losing prereqs then I keep my abilities, but that thread is like 3 years old and I was wondering if there was some kind of consensus on what RAW would be for it.

3. - Top - End - #2313
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1168 It depends.

The rules you follow for all prestige classes are the general ones in the Dungeon Master's Guide plus the level advancement rules in the Player's Handbook (pages 58-59), where step 1. Choose Class shows you need to meet the entry requirements for every level you advance in any class (not just the first level). Beyond that there are a couple of different rules requiring you to continuously maintain entry requirements for prestige classes in Complete Warrior (page 16) and Complete Arcane (page 17). These two rules are substantially different, and each one applies to the prestige classes in their individual book.

So, if you lose an item and thereby no longer meet entry requirements, if it's not from one of those two supplements, it'll only be an issue the next time you level up: you won't be able to advance in any class for which you can't satisfy the requirements.

4. - Top - End - #2314
    Troll in the Playground

A 1166

You mean, like, a bag of holding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #2315
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    A 1166

You mean, like, a bag of holding?
    No not like a bag of holding. In such a bag animals will suffocate after a short time.

6. - Top - End - #2316
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

A1166
    Yes, a variety
    Bag of holding + bottle of air
    Mirror of Life Trapping
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

7. - Top - End - #2317
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Bag of holding + bottle of air
    Animals would have to be trained to draw from the bottle. The bottle will not fill the bag with air. This still does not prevent the animals from starving.

8. - Top - End - #2318
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

You ought to start a thread to address the question, as you seem interested in the techniques, pros and cons of the various ways animal storage could be acquired.
    I have no doubt the playground will provide.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

9. - Top - End - #2319
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

I am confused by this sentence "Conceivably, you could manifest mind switch to utilize a temporary body, but only an evil creature would smash his own temporarily empty storage crystal to permanently usurp a subject’s organic body (unless the subject is itself irredeemably evil)." So a player can mind switch from the seed to a person then kill the crystal? Would the power not end and he die?

10. - Top - End - #2320

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1168 It depends.

The rules you follow for all prestige classes are the general ones in the Dungeon Master's Guide plus the level advancement rules in the Player's Handbook (pages 58-59), where step 1. Choose Class shows you need to meet the entry requirements for every level you advance in any class (not just the first level). Beyond that there are a couple of different rules requiring you to continuously maintain entry requirements for prestige classes in Complete Warrior (page 16) and Complete Arcane (page 17). These two rules are substantially different, and each one applies to the prestige classes in their individual book.

So, if you lose an item and thereby no longer meet entry requirements, if it's not from one of those two supplements, it'll only be an issue the next time you level up: you won't be able to advance in any class for which you can't satisfy the requirements.
    So if my prestige class is not from one of those two books and I lose my prereqs I won't lose abilities, but I'll have to regain those prereqs before I can advance further in the class correct? And after I finish the prestige class I technically don't have to worry about losing those class abilities ever again? (barring some negative level shenanigans)

11. - Top - End - #2321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mlanier View Post
    I am confused by this sentence "Conceivably, you could manifest mind switch to utilize a temporary body, but only an evil creature would smash his own temporarily empty storage crystal to permanently usurp a subject’s organic body (unless the subject is itself irredeemably evil)." So a player can mind switch from the seed to a person then kill the crystal? Would the power not end and he die?
    A1169: No. Strictly speaking, mind switch and astral seed have somewhat conflicting text, but as astral seed is more specific, it can be assumed to control. In any case, killing one participant never ends mind switch immediately; instead, when the power ends normally, death results. In the specific case of switching from an astral seed, however, it would seem that the character originally in the seed would survive indefinitely.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-03-18 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Because a correction to number should itself be correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

12. - Top - End - #2322
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    No not like a bag of holding. In such a bag animals will suffocate after a short time.
    You didn't say they had to survive...

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    A1168: No. Strictly speaking, mind switch and astral seed have somewhat conflicting text, but as astral seed is more specific, it can be assumed to control. In any case, killing one participant never ends mind switch immediately; instead, when the power ends normally, death results. In the specific case of switching from an astral seed, however, it would seem that the character originally in the seed would survive indefinitely.
    That's 1169. DarkSonic1337 already posted 1168.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

13. - Top - End - #2323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    That's 1169. DarkSonic1337 already posted 1168.
    So he did. I fail at counting. Duly fixed.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #2324
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1170: Can a rogue use detect traps/search skill, to find an area that has the Alarm spell cast on it or an object with magic mouth when they enter the area of effect?
    Last edited by killem2; 2013-03-18 at 11:47 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

15. - Top - End - #2325
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1170 Yes.

There's no requirement that a trap deal damage for the Rogue's trapfinding class feature. If it's a triggerable spell, the Rogue has a chance to find it using Search.

16. - Top - End - #2326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 1171
    Is it theoretically better to physically try a repeatable check until you pass it instead of choosing the "take 20" method? The chance of not rolling a 20 until the twentieth try is rather low after all.
    And, if the above is the case, when is taking 20 a better choice? Other than if you are too lazy to roll dice that is.
    Move along. Nothing to see here.

17. - Top - End - #2327
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1171

That is not a RAW question, that is a statistics question. With take twenty you have a 100% chance to succeed, with 20 rolls you don't. I'm too lazy to do the math.

18. - Top - End - #2328
    Troll in the Playground

A 1171

There is a 51% chance of rolling a natural 20 in fourteen rolls. There is a 64% chance of rolling a natural 20 in twenty rolls. So, yes, if you actually make the rolls, you're more likely than not to get a 20 in fewer than twenty rolls. This is, of course, counterbalanced by the fact that you could also roll all day and never get a 20. Taking 20 is a safer bet when you can spare two minutes.

19. - Top - End - #2329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q 1172

The Fling Ally feat (Races of Stone) provides rules for throwing your allies if you have the feat, but lacks a 'Normal' section to describe the rules if you don't have it. Is it possible to throw your allies if you don't have this feat? If so, how exactly?

20. - Top - End - #2330
    Troll in the Playground

A 1172

I don't know of any rules for it, but I would imagine it falls in the province of a Strength check.

21. - Top - End - #2331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    No.

Touchsight
    allows you to pinpoint an enemy's location within range. Pinpointing, in D&D, means you know which square(s) they occupy, but you do not perceive them accurately enough to target them inside their square(s).
    Q 1173

Would having blindsight work?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

22. - Top - End - #2332
    Troll in the Playground

A 1173

I don't think so. The SRD describes it thus:

Some creatures have blindsight, the extraordinary ability to use a nonvisual sense (or a combination of such senses) to operate effectively without vision. Such sense may include sensitivity to vibrations, acute scent, keen hearing, or echolocation.
    This pretty clearly emphasizes that it is not the same thing as vision. I think the "sight" in "blindsight" is misleading.

Of course, it would be a reasonable houserule.

23. - Top - End - #2333
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1174

Is there a way to get whirlwind attack or something similar without having 3 additional feats required? Like a magic item perhaps?

24. - Top - End - #2334
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1171

That is not a RAW question, that is a statistics question. With take twenty you have a 100% chance to succeed, with 20 rolls you don't. I'm too lazy to do the math.
    Note that taking 20 does not guarantee success if the DC is higher than 20 + your skill modifier.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #2335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Note that taking 20 does not guarantee success if the DC is higher than 20 + your skill modifier.
    Or, in short, if a task is too hard you can't succeed no matter what you do. (Rolling will not help you here either.)

26. - Top - End - #2336
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1174

Scholar/master Iron Heart Vest with mithral tornado/adamantine hurricane. The attacks of both maneuvers are restricted to adjacent foes though, but adamantine hurricane gives you two against each opponent.

27. - Top - End - #2337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 1175

Can a character Shadow Jaunt (as per ToB maneuver) while carrying an unconscious person, assuming the person does not bring him above max load?

28. - Top - End - #2338
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1175 No.
    As part of this maneuver, you disappear in a cloud of darkness and teleport up to 50 feet away.
    "You" includes your attended objects, but another character does not become an object unless they're dead. Being unconscious does not help in this regard.

29. - Top - End - #2339

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Epicfaillol View Post
    actually, i play the game in french and we usually come to say enchantment because thats what it is, its a magical property imbued into the weapon permanently through magical means. so basically it was a language barrier thing but yes, i do, or at least did, play magic and i see where you are going with this.
    AD&D, first and second edition called it enchanting magic items. There continue to be hold-overs from the earlier editions that can cause newer players to go eh? while many of us old-timers fail to notice it, until it's pointed out. Such as the potion of clairvoyance/clairaudience I noticed in another thread.
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

30. - Top - End - #2340
    Troll in the Playground

Q 1176

I feel silly asking this, but...Can you target yourself with a ray spell projected from your eyes (as Ocular Spell allows you to do)?
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star