New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 99 of 121 FirstFirst ... 49748990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #2941
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q 1464

Possibly a stupid one - can you use the hand wearing a spiked gauntlet to wield other weapons?

Q 1464b

If yes, can you attack with the wielded weapon and the gauntlet in the same attack routine?

2. - Top - End - #2942
    Troll in the Playground

A 1464

Yes

A 1464b

you can't use two-weapon fighting like that but if you had a free action way of emptying the spiked gauntlet hand you could attack with it as part of a full attack.

such as first attack great sword, free action let go of great sword with gauntlet hand, second attack spiked gauntlet.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

3. - Top - End - #2943
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1461 Yes.

A 1462 Maybe.

The Ghost would have to be manifesting for you to make the attack if you are on the Material Plane, and you would have to have a weapon which affects the ghost on both the Material and Ethereal Planes (since the manifested Ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane). A magic weapon would only have a chance to affect the Ghost on the Material Plane and could not trip them on the Ethereal Plane. A Ghost Touch weapon could trip the Ghost on both planes.

Q 1463 Yes.

A manifested Ghost who is tripped on both the Ethereal and Material Planes would fall prone in both planes. A non-manifested Ghost who is tripped on the Ethereal Plane would fall prone there, as usual.

4. - Top - End - #2944
    Troll in the Playground

A 1455

Interrupted casting and a failed Concentration check

Arcane spell failure chance from wearing armor/shield
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #2945
    Titan in the Playground

Q1465

Does death ward stop the negative level from wielding a holy weapon as an evil character? I'm pretty sure it doesn't since it's not a negative energy effect, energy drain or a death effect.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #2946
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1465

You already answered your own question. Death Ward does not prevent the negative levels from items.

7. - Top - End - #2947
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 1466
    Does snap kick work on a charge by RAW ?

I'd say no, but I may have misunderstood something.

Snap kick
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons (including a standard attack, full attack, or even a strike maneuver), you can make an additional attack at your highest attack bonus.

Attacking on a Charge
    Spoiler
    Show
    After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

8. - Top - End - #2948
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingMAD View Post
    Q1455
    What would cause a Sending [PHB] to fail, when the target is on the same plane?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    A 1455

Interrupted casting and a failed Concentration check

Arcane spell failure chance from wearing armor/shield
    Q1455 - Clarification
    Thank you.

I meant what situations or conditions would cause the spell to fail at the recipient's end. Sending is an Evocation, so I assume the various anti-scrying measures would not block an Evocation spell.

So, to clarify, what conditions of the target would cause the target of a Sending spell to fail to receive or fail to respond to the Sending? [Excluding other planes, language barriers, and non-familiarity]

9. - Top - End - #2949
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1466 Yes.

A Charge necessarily includes at least one melee attack, so Snap Kick applies. The list provided in the feat (starting with "including ...") is of examples, not a limiting specification.

10. - Top - End - #2950
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Repost in hope of an answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by cd4 View Post
    Q1431 Apart from Manyjaws, Maw of Chaos and Acid Fog. What other Arcane spells are cast on an area, not centered on the caster and deal damage over time?
    Q1467 Are there any acquired templates that a human can take that give fast healing?

11. - Top - End - #2951
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1466 Contention

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1466 Yes.

A Charge necessarily includes at least one melee attack, so Snap Kick applies. The list provided in the feat (starting with "including ...") is of examples, not a limiting specification.
    The problem is a sentence further down:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
    The "such as..." part also only lists examples. The fact that you do not get extra attacks on a charge is absolute, unless you have an ability that changes that, like Pounce.

So you have one rule that says you get an extra attack, and another saying you don't. RAW is unclear what happens.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-04-17 at 02:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #2952
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1431: (partial) Black tentacles (assuming a successful grapple check) for one. I recommend you open a new thread for this, as there are probably a number out of the 1400+ arcane spells (add in arcane disciple and other shenanigans and your number grows).

A 1467: Yes.

(Partial follow up answer) Among others: Feral from Savage Species. +1 LA

Eeep, misread. Thanks, Urpriest.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-04-17 at 03:58 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

13. - Top - End - #2953
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 1466 Contention
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    The problem is a sentence further down:The "such as..." part also only lists examples. The fact that you get only one attack is absolute, unless you have an ability that changes that, like Pounce.
    There are two reasons why Snap Kick provides an extra attack on a Charge:
    • The extra attacks limitation for Charge attacks lists only general rules cases; the exceptions given (high BAB, TWF) require no feats to obtain, and thus extra attacks from feat(s) aren't "such as" those examples; they're different in kind from those examples.
    • Snap Kick is specifically "an ability that changes that". From FEAT DESCRIPTIONS (Player's Handbook, page 89):
      Benefit

What the feat enables the character ("you" in the feat description) to do.
      Feats exist to provide exceptions to the normal rules, and the Benefit condition ("when you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons") is satisfied on a Charge.

14. - Top - End - #2954
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 1467: Yes.

(Partial follow up answer) Among others: Feral from Savage Species. +1 LA
    A 1467 Contention
    He said Acquired, Feral is inherited.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

15. - Top - End - #2955
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A 1467 Contention
    He said Acquired, Feral is inherited.
    Wow, total reading fail. Struckthrough. I blame being on my phone to check the internet.

A 1467: (probably partial) According to my sources: Corrupted (Dragon #350 )

Vampire (SRD)

Savage Vampire (Dragon 348)

Shadow Vampire (Dragon 348)

Terror Vampire (Dragon 348)

Dry Lich (Sandstorm)

Scion of Kyuss (Dragon 321)

Favored Spawn of Kyuss (Dragon 336)

Evolved (in conjunction with Necropolitan - both of Libris Mortis)

Saint (BoED)
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-04-17 at 04:11 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

16. - Top - End - #2956
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1468

The Dive Attack granted by Improved Dragon Wings is said to work like a charge but has some restrictions on allowed movement. Are those restriction in addition to those from a charge or do they replace them?

Does that mean that, given the normally average maneuverability of the character with the feat, it is even more difficult to make a Dive Attack than a regular Charge while flying?

17. - Top - End - #2957
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q 1469

The Tome of Battle Feats "Stone Power" and "Shards of Granite" require that a user knows a certain number of Stone Dragon Maneuvers. If the user gains enough to learn these abilities, then studies a new, non-Stone Dragon technique in their place, would that user lose access to those feats? I had figured them like maneuvers in that once they were learned, their prerequisites were no longer required.

18. - Top - End - #2958

OldWizardGuy

RE 1467 The worst thing is, I read through the Feral Template before Ur-Priest post and it had everything else that I wanted from the template (well except for the Int penalty) and I thought it would work perfectly. Now I think I have to create my own version.

19. - Top - End - #2959
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1469

Yes:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.

20. - Top - End - #2960
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 1470

If a wizard scribes a spell into his spellbook which is of a higher level than he can currently cast, is he considered to "know" that spell (for purposes of, say, casting it with Versatile Spellcaster)?

Q 1471

If yes to the above, is there anything to stop a spontaneous caster who has obtained a spellbook via the Magical Training feat from using it to pick up spells known to be cast via Versatile Spellcaster with spontaneous spell slots?

21. - Top - End - #2961
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1468

A dive attack has similar mechanics to a charge but it does not count as a charge, nor have the bonuses or penalties of a charge. The game authors wanted to avoid having to repeat those (clear path; line of sight; no 5' step; & c.) common movement restrictions.

A 1470 No.

A Wizard knows only the spells they can prepare and cast. The text uses the term "understand" rather than "know" when referring to scribing a spell into a spellbook (see Player's Handbook on pages 178-179).

A 1471 N/A.

22. - Top - End - #2962
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A dive attack has similar mechanics to a charge but it does not count as a charge, nor have the bonuses or penalties of a charge. The game authors wanted to avoid having to repeat those (clear path; line of sight; no 5' step; & c.) common movement restrictions.
    Unless I'm mistaken you never answered why "works like" is something else than "counts as" in an earlier question.

What I was getting at with this question was that in addition to turning to the right azimuthal angle in the turn before initiating the charge (turning slows flying with average maneuverability), the character wanting to initiate a Dive Attack must also be at the right height to be in the right range of allowed polar angles. Correct?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-04-18 at 12:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #2963
    Troll in the Playground

A 1470 additional

wizards can't use versatile spellcaster. to qualify you need to be able to spontaneously cast spells, and if you dip to go that you can't sacrifice prepared spells to use the feat and the feat doesn't let you prepare a higher level spell by using two lower level spell slots. it is a strictly spontaneous feat.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

24. - Top - End - #2964
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 1472.1
    Quote Originally Posted by d20 SRD
    When preparing spells for the day, a wizard can leave some of these spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes, time and circumstances permitting. During these extra sessions of preparation, the wizard can fill these unused spell slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    A divine spellcaster chooses and prepares spells ahead of time, (...). (...) the character chooses a particular part of the day to pray and receive spells. (...) If some event prevents a character from praying at the proper time, he must do so as soon as possible. If the character does not stop to pray for spells at the first opportunity, he must wait until the next day to prepare spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once.
    A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once, but can they later fill these unused spell slots like a wizard? Or does a cleric just have the option of leaving spell slots open without the possibility of filling these spell slots at a later time?

Q 1472.2
    How does one determine the particular time of day associated with recieving spells? (In particular, a cleric of the Undying Court (Eberron))

25. - Top - End - #2965
    Titan in the Playground

A1472.1 They must pray at a given time to receive any spell slots; however, preparing the specific spells for those can be done at any time, and not all at once. Importantly, praying to receive spells is not the same thing as preparing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #2966
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1472.2

If there are multiple times specified, pick one among them. If there is no timeframe specified, ask your DM.

27. - Top - End - #2967

Q1473.1
    So what happens when I cast a Twinned Greater Celerity?
    [Twin Spell from Complete Arcane]

Q1473.2
    What happens when I dodge the DMG and cast Repeat Greater Celerity?
    [Repeat Spell from Complete Arcane]

Q1473.3
    So both of them at once?

28. - Top - End - #2968
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1473.1

You would have two simultaneous options to take a full-round action. Because you physically only have one body, you could normally only avail yourself of one of these at a time. (Dvati twins would be able to make use of the twinned spell, however.) Regardless of whatever actions you take or waste, you would be stunned afterward.

A 1473.2

If you cast the spell (Greater Celerity + Repeat Spell) during your turn you would get a full-round action and then be dazed until the end of your next turn. At the beginning of that second turn the spell would repeat; your dazed condition would make you incapable of taking advantage of the opportunity for an extra full-round action; and your dazed condition would be renewed until the end of your third turn.

If you cast the spell during someone else's turn you also would get a full-round action and then be dazed until the end of your following turn. At the beginning of that turn the spell would repeat; your dazed condition would make you incapable of taking advantage of the opportunity for an extra full-round action; and your dazed condition would be renewed until the end of your second turn following the immediate action.

A 1473.3

Depending on the timing, the various planned instances of Greater Celerity would either be wasted because you have only one body and cannot simultaneously take different actions with it, or be wasted because you would be dazed and incapable of acting. The combination would still only net you one full-round action, and you would still be dazed until the end of the second round following your initial casting.

29. - Top - End - #2969

RangerGuy

Q 1474
    if taking "martial" rogue levels (UA) along with fighter levels. does feat progression continue as if i was taking fighter levels already or are they separate? for example: does a lvl 4 martial rogue2/fighter2 have 6 feats or 5?
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

30. - Top - End - #2970
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1474 6.

A Fighter 2 has 2 Fighter Bonus Feats (FBFs): one each at levels 1 and 2.
    Rogue
    The rogue who favors martial training over stealth and cunning can profit if she chooses her fights carefully.
    Gain: Bonus feats (as fighter).
    Lose: Sneak attack.
    The martial Rogue 2 gains 2 FBFs exactly as a Fighter 2 does: one each at levels 1 and 2. Any level 4 character has 2 general feats, at levels 1 and 3. Racial bonus feats could add to this, and alternative class features (ACFs) could reduce the total. But, excluding racial and ACF adjustments, such a character would have 6 feats (2 general and 4 FBF) as their baseline allotment.