New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.X] Energy Transformation Field + True Resurrection

I was looking over these two spells, and have a theory about something I'd like to run by the Playground to see if there are any problems with it. It assumes a spellcaster with access to at least those two spells (Energy Transformation Field and True Resurrection) along with the ability to create a Spell Clock (set to go off each round and filled with a 9th level spell).

So you have an Energy Transformation Field keyed to cast True Resurrection (9th level, needing 9 spell levels). Your spell clock fires off each round, casting, say, a Meteor Swarm (9th level, fully charging the field). The field absorbs the spell energy and then casts the True Resurrection, targeted at you. Now, if you're not dead, then there's no issue. Spell goes off, you're already alive, invalid target so nothing happens. If you're dead, however, then the spell targets you and you pop up, true resurrected, in your transformation field. And it goes off every six seconds.

This should, in theory, provide infinite respawns as long as somebody doesn't mess up the spell clock powering the field that's firing off the true resurrections.

Are there any huge holes in this? The main one I can see right now is that true resurrection needs the deceased (you) to be unambiguously identified in some fashion, and I don't quite know how the field could do that off the top of my head. The second is that spell clocks can't be used to cast spells that require material components to be somewhere other than the hands, and true resurrection requires a "sprinkle" of holy water, implying that while the 25,000gp cost isn't an issue, the other component might be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [3.X] Energy Transformation Field + True Resurrection

About the sprinkle of water part why not just attach to the clock some sorta repeating trap that sprays the holy water at you at the correct time? (Defiantly not an expert on this just a thought)
    I'm currently in the process of doing my own 3.5 rewrite i thought i should mention this and it may be relevant to most posts I make. As well i will always ask and answer questions from the DM's point of view.

I have access to all books (but no dragon magazines other than a few i have physical copies of) and i have a physical copy of of almost every book minus most of the campaign books.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aren't there a few effects that either trap or destroy the soul, thus preventing resurrection?

Quote Originally Posted by Devronq View Post
    About the sprinkle of water part why not just attach to the clock some sorta repeating trap that sprays the holy water at you at the correct time? (Defiantly not an expert on this just a thought)
    Would just submerging the clock in holy water work and be cheaper?
    Last edited by Epsilon Rose; 2013-10-09 at 11:38 PM.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Energy Transformation Field:
    Spells that have a costly material component or an XP cost cannot be linked to a field, but those with a costly focus can be if the focus object is present within the field (typically sealed into a wall or in a secret compartment).

True Resurrection:
    Material Component
    A sprinkle of holy water and diamonds worth a total of at least 25,000 gp.

The 25,000 gp worth of diamonds aren't a costly focus but a costly material component, making True Resurrection invalid for being linked to an Energy Transformation Field.