New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default [PF] Sorcerers: useless at level 1-3?

Playground, this is my first time playing a caster, and first time with PF after years of 3.5. So am I wrong when I say that my 2nd level sorc is just a waste of space? I mean, is that the idea? I rolled *boss* stats, so that's fine, but I'm basically a one-trick pony. I guess that's how it's supposed to be? </rant> </whining>

Can't give a full stat block since the DM keeps our sheets between sessions, but can tell you that I have:

Race: fetchling
    Bloodline: Shadow w/ Umbral wildblooded variant
    Feat: toughness
    Spells:
    Colour spray
    Memory lapse

To be fair, I've straight-up ended two fights with one colour spray, and saved our asses once (out of combat) with memory lapse, but I can't help but feel helpless when the **** hits the fan and it's a sightless or otherwise immune to colour spray enemy.

I've read both Treantmonk's wizard guide and A Minstrel's sorcerer guide, and still feel lost. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Generation 6
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Sorcerers: useless at level 1-3?

My favourite starting spells are Colour Spray + Silent Image.

There will be, quite a few, times when there is nothing you can do. With reasonable spell selection this will stop happening around 5th-7th.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Picking your battles is just part of life as a low level spellcaster. That said, the infinite use cantrips that Pathfinder has can help a *lot*. Acid Splash should probably be on your spell list.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Useless, No.

One-Trick-Pony, Yes, well 2 tricks actually.

But at this level most characters are; whether that trick is an encounter ending spell, melee damage, ranged damage or tripping. The only real exceptions are CoDzilla or an Artificer with lots of of scrolls.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

All arcane casters, until level 5ish, tend to be "I can do this," or "I got nothing that can help." It is a very binary system until the mid levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Von Zinzer View Post
    Playground, this is my first time playing a caster, and first time with PF after years of 3.5. So am I wrong when I say that my 2nd level sorc is just a waste of space? I mean, is that the idea? I rolled *boss* stats, so that's fine, but I'm basically a one-trick pony. I guess that's how it's supposed to be? </rant> </whining>

Can't give a full stat block since the DM keeps our sheets between sessions, but can tell you that I have:

Race: fetchling
    Bloodline: Shadow w/ Umbral wildblooded variant
    Feat: toughness
    Spells:
    Colour spray
    Memory lapse

To be fair, I've straight-up ended two fights with one colour spray, and saved our asses once (out of combat) with memory lapse, but I can't help but feel helpless when the **** hits the fan and it's a sightless or otherwise immune to colour spray enemy.

I've read both Treantmonk's wizard guide and A Minstrel's sorcerer guide, and still feel lost. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    It is partly your spell choices.

You chose will save only spells? Anyone immune to the spell like immune like mindless/sightless is fine.

You need to diversify.
    Try to have a Fort, Will, and Reflex.
    Luckily you have at will cantrips so use acid splash, daze, etc.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    My favourite starting spells are Colour Spray + Silent Image.

There will be, quite a few, times when there is nothing you can do. With reasonable spell selection this will stop happening around 5th-7th.
    I find this is often the truth of sorcerers. Sometimes, the spells you have just aren't going to match the situation you are in. With careful spell selection this will happen less and less as you level up until you have enough spells known where you can cover most situations you get into. The right bloodline Arcana/Powers can also help fill holes in early levels. In the case of Umbral bloodline, the hole you can fill is 'we need to be harder to find.'

Cantrips also help. None of them are staggeringly useful, but they can be used endlessly so at least you'll never have nothing to cast.

Color Spray has it's limitations (it's mind-affecting, the target needs to be sighted) but outside those limitations, at low levels, the spell is almost unmatched for its ability to simply end fights. So, yes in combat you may be a bit of a one trick pony at first, but at least your one trick is a really good one.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, Arcanists really need 3rd level spells to flower.

At Sorcerer 7 you will have two of those, which should allow you to fill the holes. Beyond this point however, with good spell picks, you should be golden.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

bit surprised at your selection actually... I try to balance my own selection between 'gamble' spells and more direct spells. Keep my options open, so to speak.

I cant see either of your spells operating in that capacity.
    Most people pick magic missle as a staple, just because its a no save, no miss, no hassle spell. Sure its low damage, but it doesn't loss its usefullness. Now that is just an example,.. im sure there are better spells out there for that, but I would never start my spell list with spells that are only good under the correct situations.

using the above example,
    magic missle
    memory laspe

because if you have an ally, color spray hurts more than it helps :(

Now this is only my own preference, I am sure there are better ways to go about it.

EDIT: Carry a crossbow or longspear? at low lvl's, the BAB difference is minor, only strength makes a noticable difference early on.
    Last edited by Silentone98; 2012-11-25 at 02:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Human with APG human alternate favored class bonus is stupendous- extra spell known every level.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Crossbow is all you need to be a relevant ranged attacker if you have a decent Dexterity. On level 2-3 you can use Alchemist's Fires for significantly higher damage touch attacks. Don't bother with damage spells like Shocking Grasp or Magic Missile; they need caster level before they're worth the spell slot and action.

My first spells to learn as a Sorc would be:
    Color Spray
    Grease

Tons of utility, useful against almost any opponent. Daze and Detect Magic complement this. Remember, you can also use scrolls; level 1 scrolls of spells like Magic Weapon or Silent Image are only 25gp and can save party's ass vs. incorporeals.

But yeah, I'd aim for:
    Color Spray
    Grease
    Silent Image
    Mage Armor

Early on. That kinda covers most of your bases. Sleep's nice too but kinda redundant with Color Spray and pesky elves are immune. Charm Person, True Strike and Magic Missile are nice "eventual" level 1 spells but they aren't that important on the actual level 1.

Basically, you're like a Wizard except less versatile.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

crossbows & grenade weapons do poorly wrt melee

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    crossbows & grenade weapons do poorly wrt melee
    Luckily 5' steps and Acrobatics mean you almost never need to engage in melee.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Human with APG human alternate favored class bonus is stupendous- extra spell known every level.
    I agree, but in levels 1-3 it's only an extra 0 level spell known per level. Which can be nifty, but I'd opt for more HP personally, till level 4.

Anyhow, sorcerers are far from useless from creation on. There are a few strong to over powered builds, you can enjoy from the jump. Some combos in race/archetype aren't as strong, and that's where spell selection and knowing when to let the tank do his job, comes into play.

Any class that can potentially have an animal companion, familiar, and have 6 auto-slag magic missiles doing 3d4+6 damage at level one gets no pitty from me. In fact, I have yet to find a class with such powerful low level potential yet.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Luckily 5' steps and Acrobatics mean you almost never need to engage in melee.
    I meant you get -4 for shooting into melee, and your allies won't be your allies for long if you keep splashing them with fire.
    Last edited by Spuddles; 2012-11-25 at 06:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Not what I meant. You get -4 for shooting into melee, and your allies won't be your allies for long if you keep splashing them with fire.
    Mhm, it's true that it's harder to affect people already in melee. In some parties you can have the melee 5' step back after their attack and ready an action to take the shot in that period; it doesn't really influence their ability to attack negatively before they have iteratives after all, so better abuse the **** outta the ability to move and full attack while you still can.

Other than that, well, there are often targets who are not in melee combat. And if not, yeah, you'll have a poor chance at hitting but c'est la vie. It's really just a filler action, so it's not the end of the world if you're not hitting.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not a huge fan of Magic Missile, but I would generally take it as my last 1st level spell known. You would do better with a sling or crossbow in the beginning.

Colour Spray lasts longer than Sleep, which you would have to swap out long after it had ceased to be useful. Colour Spray can be useful even at higher levels.

Mage Armour is also questionable, except on a gish.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Magic Missile, but I would generally take it as my last 1st level spell known. You would do better with a sling or crossbow in the beginning.

Colour Spray lasts longer than Sleep, which you would have to swap out long after it had ceased to be useful. Colour Spray can be useful even at higher levels.

Mage Armour is also questionable, except on a gish.
    Once you get 3-4 Missiles, Magic Missile becomes a fairly decent backup spell for when nothing else works but 1 Missile just generally isnt' worth a 1st level slot on low levels.

19. - Top - End - #19

Enlarge Person is a good spell for a low level Sorcerer, too. It's a great buff with many purposes and usefull even at CL 1.
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

20. - Top - End - #20

The other option is to take some buffing spells. I've only played PF once, but my fey bloodline sorc w/ entangle, sleep, and enlarge person always had something to do - even if it was only cast enlarge person on the barb and fighter then literally sit down on the battle field and watch them cut our enemies to ribbons.

Here's the thing about spellcasters: unless you want to blast, get used to casting only 1 or 2 spells per combat. A properly chosen spell is pretty much a combat ender, either by disabling the enemy or putting your allies in a position to snot-knock 'em.
    Last edited by limejuicepowder; 2012-11-25 at 08:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much if you are a level 1 Sorcerer... my advice is to take toppling spell, and the Magical Lineage Trait. Extra points, take the spell hunter trait as well to drop Toppling Magic Missile to a cantrip.

Low levels suck for everyone. Paladins get Smite 1/day, for +1 damage, with their 14ish Cha, it sucks.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

22. - Top - End - #22

Pretty much if you are a level 1 Sorcerer... my advice is to take toppling spell, and the Magical Lineage Trait. Extra points, take the spell hunter trait as well to drop Toppling Magic Missile to a cantrip.

Low levels suck for everyone. Paladins get Smite 1/day, for +1 damage, with their 14ish Cha, it sucks.
    Well, Barbarians aren't horribly off. They still get to Rage for 4+Con rounds on level 1, which tends to get them to a decent start if nothing else.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Well, Barbarians aren't horribly off. They still get to Rage for 4+Con rounds on level 1, which tends to get them to a decent start if nothing else.
    Barbarians probably are one of the best 1st level classes ('sides ToB), but it's not by much. Rage makes them death machines but only 1/day, and even with a d12 they aren't above one good crit ending their adventuring career quickly.

Combat reflexes and a reach weapon will go a long way towards safety at those levels, and that's far from exclusive to anyone. Ranged is still a problem.

When yah get down do it, most the classes are pretty even at low level - fragile and a reliance on RNG.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by limejuicepowder View Post
    Barbarians probably are one of the best 1st level classes ('sides ToB), but it's not by much. Rage makes them death machines but only 1/day, and even with a d12 they aren't above one good crit ending their adventuring career quickly.
    Well, PF Barbs have Rage Rounds instead of Rage/Day; they can rage for 4+Con rounds per day so it's possible that can cover a couple of encounters. On the flipside, they can't match a 3.5 Barb with Extra Rage for endurance.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thanks for the help, all!

I have a question, though: what's with all the love for Silent Image? Am I just unimaginative in seeing its uses?
    Generation 6
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Silent Image requires creativity, the right circumstances, and a DM whose views of how figments work doesn't make the ability worthless ("oh, they're looking at it. that counts as interacting!" *rolls will save*).

In the right circumstances, it can be amazing, though. Basically the trick is to use it in ways where the enemy will *not* interact with it, or in order to do so, they have to move a far distance and waste actions to do so. Think things like a (barbed/spiked, etc...) fake wall that the enemy may just take at face value as a real wall and attempt to move around instead of climb or break through. Or "summoning" allies off in the distance either to get enemies to pursue or to appear more powerful than you really are. Or tons of other options, I'm really not the best at thinking of uses for it, myself. My friends have also used the fact that for those yet to interact and save against it the image is opaque while as those who have (your allies) can see through it as a translucent image to good effect for some temporary cover.

In any case, I don't think Silent Image is that great to start with, I'd go with color spray and grease (which lasts min/level in PF) myself.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

You have proficiency in Crossbow. Use it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I have a question, though: what's with all the love for Silent Image?
    Flexibility.
    Am I just unimaginative in seeing its uses?
    Yes — though if you are unimaginative it is useless.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the help, all!

I have a question, though: what's with all the love for Silent Image? Am I just unimaginative in seeing its uses?
    Well...
    When you jump across a chasm, leave a 'bridge' for them.

When they get sick of falling to their deaths, and start checking the 'bridge', move the edge of the chasm up a little. They go to check the bridge, but the ground before is actually a fatal fall.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Nah wizards only have 1 more spell and only at first. Plus once they use one it's gone and the second thing they fight better be targettable by what little is left. I'd do something like color spray + burning hands, or color spray + magic missile to handle most fights. Or sleep instead of color spray. Burning hands is better than magic missile at level 1 especially once you hit 2 or more adjacent foes, but the problem is then you have to swap out two spells later instead one. There are other level 1 options too as suggested but the key is to make your first 2 both combat spells that work on different types of foes. In general picking spells that are frequently useful in general, and yet powerful, and yet differ to cover eachother's holes is a good idea at any level. Have a strong answer to as many situations as possible.

And for cantrips don't forget daze is bad but it's better than a crossbow. You can pull other at-will cantrip tricks too like resistance spamming to make sure someone always has a +1 to saves.

A barbarian 1 shotting foes with a greatsword with no save is still better, but you can more than manage for the first 3 levels. Then level 4 hits and things get nice. Then level 6 hits and things get really nice.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-11-26 at 01:13 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)