New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: empowered maximized awakened plants

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    By RAW they can't do it at all because there is no listed LA.
    snip
    You misread the OP. It's referring to a character with an awakened tree as a guest using the symbiotic creature template, not just playing such a tree outright.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    You can very rarely find natural bonsai, though they're pretty huge compared to the bonsai you see in garden centres.

If it's not a tree, what is it?
    Bonsai are man made, but you can get very small trees. They're usually referred to as shrubs though, so YMMV.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Bonsai are man made, but you can get very small trees. They're usually referred to as shrubs though, so YMMV.
    Yeah, the entire point of Bonsai is to shape a plant so that it is an almost identical copy of the adult version shrunk down. A natural bonsai would be a dwarf plant, and isn't really the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    You can very rarely find natural bonsai, though they're pretty huge compared to the bonsai you see in garden centres.

If it's not a tree, what is it?
    A plant, maybe a shrub, maybe a bush, but not a tree unless it's big enough. You wouldn´t call an apple tree sprout that is only a few weeks old and a few inches tall a tree; the same goes for an old stunted apple tree that is only a few inches tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes, quoting myself View Post
    I found the definition of tree "In botany, a tree is a perennial woody plant with a single main trunk taller than about 2 metres, with xylem tissue in the trunk and branches that continues to enlarge during the life of the plant by the process of secondary growth.·
    And anyway, I think they intended the spell to work only for real, big trees; otherwise they would have allowed its use for any plant (what would be the mechanical difference between a cabbage and a bonsai?).
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2012-11-18 at 07:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You misread the OP. It's referring to a character with an awakened tree as a guest using the symbiotic creature template, not just playing such a tree outright.
    Whoops.

Well "I saw this on a forum somewhere" should have been a big clue to say "no". The only reason it's online is because it's exploiting a loophole.

Theoretically it does seem to work because the awakened creature's type is plant. You could always awaken a sapling to get size tiny. It might not be a typical tree but it is still a tree and the spell doesn't seem to have any special age restrictions.

I think the reason for restricting the spells to trees is primarily fluff. Druids have a lot of tree spells. But it also prevents certain animated objects forms of movement and special attacks. And prevents potential issues figuring out how it works on plants with very complicated shapes. What do you do with a sentient 10 foot tall flower? A 20 foot long vine? It's pretty easy to figure out how a tree might move like an animal tho.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-11-19 at 01:02 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    What do you do with a sentient 10 foot tall flower?
    Give it a handlebar mustache and a monocle and have it "speak" in an upper class british accent. Make it as smug and sarcastically catty as possible.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You know, an Epic level Druid could cast an Intensified spell, which would maximize and then double the scores. 36 Int is pretty dang good.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You know, an Epic level Druid could cast an Intensified spell, which would maximize and then double the scores. 36 Int is pretty dang good.
    beat you to that a while ago.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I've played a character with the Symbiotic Creature template using a maximized empowered awakened guest plant and have posted about it here before, so it's possible the OP's player saw one of my posts and got the idea from that.

I would note, however, in case they "forgot" the original context, that this was "perfectly acceptable" for a highly-optimized noncaster who was using and abusing several other high-power and possibly cheesy things (bloodline IL stacking and Item Familiar being two of them) and who was in a party that included a Tainted Scholar necromancer, a DFI sublime chord/ur-priest, an Ubermount-style arcane heirophant, and a Spell-to-Power erudite. It was also fairly grounded in the world's flavor, since the DM had already established an order of martial artists and divine casters that worshiped evil gods of self-perfection and discovery by hybridizing creatures, grafting their members, awakening plants, and so forth.

This build idea, or a Symbiotic Creature in general, isn't the kind of thing you drop on a normal game, particularly if you're trying to get one by the DM and you're the kind of player who just copies builds you read about on a forum. I'd veto the player's idea unless he's able to make his character fit in well with the group and show that it won't overshadow anyone else, but from the description in the OP I doubt that's the case.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this