New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The end of Ctrl-Alt-Del

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I liked todays comic, I have to admit to at times wondering how the hell my guy was carrying all this crap. At least with games like last man standing you get to see him strapping all his hardware to his pack and switching it all out.
    The problem is...this joke isn't just years old. It's decades old. It was funny then but it's run it's course. Full realism isn't something every game is going to have. It's a tired joke. It's a dead horse.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130712
    Then dipped below again.
    P.S- I think I got the part from previous comic, it was that the frog cannot eat the undead (No racial bonus yet).
    I can't tell if you're joking, but the joke is that the undead isn't going to... well, die.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    A CAD Player walked into a bar and the bartender said "why the long face?"

Seriously they're getting so ridiculous it shadows everything else that could be possibly in a comic.

...Huh.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

A CAD Player walked into a bar and the bartender said "why the long face?"

Seriously they're getting so ridiculous it shadows everything else that could be possibly in a comic.
    Eventually their true form will be revealed: they are actually horses. Specifically dead horses since they keep dying and the punchline is always violence.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Eventually their true form will be revealed: they are actually horses. Specifically dead horses since they keep dying and the punchline is always violence.
    That's not fair, CAD has another string to its comedy bow as shown in this current comic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a little sad that that is pretty much exactly what they were saying in the original.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

That's not fair, CAD has another string to its comedy bow as shown in this current comic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a little sad that that is pretty much exactly what they were saying in the original.
    I think since it's about rotating weapons during a shoot-out, the punchline counts as both this and violence.

WHEEL OF JOKES:
    -Violence
    -Video games are not like real life

Edit 1
    Actual comic
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2013-07-13 at 12:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

I think since it's about rotating weapons during a shoot-out, the punchline counts as both this and violence.

WHEEL OF JOKES:
    -Violence
    Heh, "wheel" of jokes.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Colossus in the Playground

WHEEL OF JOKES:
    -Violence
    Of course, too be fair, most other webcomics based off games or gamers are the same, with maybe a switchout of silly instead of violent. Hell, I vaguely recall some old GU comics that used the "games are not real life" formula to make fun of every world of warcraft trade skill one at a time.

Point being, its not the type of jokes made thats the problem, its the jokes he chooses to write with that formula. Im sure penny arcade, gu, or any of the other dozen or so game based webcomics out there have also made weapon wheel style jokes that were amusing, you just find this particular one boring and/or overdone.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Of course, too be fair, most other webcomics based off games or gamers are the same, with maybe a switchout of silly instead of violent. Hell, I vaguely recall some old GU comics that used the "games are not real life" formula to make fun of every world of warcraft trade skill one at a time.

Point being, its not the type of jokes made thats the problem, its the jokes he chooses to write with that formula. Im sure penny arcade, gu, or any of the other dozen or so game based webcomics out there have also made weapon wheel style jokes that were amusing, you just find this particular one boring and/or overdone.
    My response. Not that I'm much of a fan of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, it's just the only gaming webcomic I actually follow. Or that Penny Arcade isn't significantly better than CAD.

Taken from the previous strip as my last edit.

10. - Top - End - #850

My response. Not that I'm much of a fan of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, it's just the only gaming webcomic I actually follow. Or that Penny Arcade isn't significantly better than CAD.

Taken from the previous strip as my last edit.
    True, dont take it personal any comments I made mentioning "you" yours was just the post I chose to quote. I only listed PA because its another well known gamer comic. I personally dont read it often myself. It was meant more as a generic, "you guys ripping on cad for doing jokes about how games are not real life" than "you, T-O-E, and only you, are a doody head jerk face of the highest caliber, I would make you run away in tears but (insert mean spirited joke about your mother here)"

Heh, my main point was just that yeah, gamer comics tend to go that way, so ripping on cad for doing them is ripping on every other webcomic out there that does gamer jokes. Now, if you (as in everyone who hates cad, not you specifically) want to rag on cad for buckleys jokes sucking, his art having many things wrong with it, and his personal hygiene being questionable at best, go right ahead. I hereby declare that I shall allow it. Be blessed by my conditional permissiveness and do not seek to rise above yourselves again. /makes a few random semi religious ritualistic gestures.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #851

GnomeWizardGuy

I agree that it is usually the delivery that makes CAD more "video games are not like real life" than the more acceptable "this is ridiculous if you think about it". But occasionally you get a comic like this one which is a commentary about how a UI isn't like real life that takes it to another level.

Honestly it would have worked if the joke was that she spun the wheel to make the point that choosing from a wheel interface quickly can be flaky, rather than just "stored on a wheel, heh".

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130715
    http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130717
    Why 17 is half processed on my computer in a country with bad internet connection?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Did Buckley really make Nintendo seem more stupid than Microsoft? Way to be an XBOX fan boy...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Did Buckley really make Nintendo seem more stupid than Microsoft? Way to be an XBOX fan boy...
    Well somebody has to be dumber than Microsoft and his usual target has been pretty on-the-ball lately.

15. - Top - End - #855

Its times like this I wish he would update his newspost and his comic at the same time. Did nintendo release info on a new system that sounds really stupid or something? I admit my gaming news sources are kinda sparse. nonexistent

16. - Top - End - #856

GnomeWizardGuy

Looks like another excuse to link to Castle Vidcons again as an example of how this is done so much better.

(Unless Nintendo really did do something stupid that is relevant to that last panel, but I haven't heard of anything.)

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like another excuse to link to Castle Vidcons again as an example of how this is done so much better.

(Unless Nintendo really did do something stupid that is relevant to that last panel, but I haven't heard of anything.)
    I get the joke (I think) but I don't really see how this is an improved version of Buckley's "joke.
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #858

That was. . . very stupid.

19. - Top - End - #859

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I get the joke (I think) but I don't really see how this is an improved version of Buckley's "joke.
    That was a link to the comic in general rather than an individual strip; the entire framing of Castle Vidcons is a war between the consoles. It doesn't update very often, but it's been doing so recently due to the new generation.
    Edit: I only found out about it recently and IMO the archive is worth a read even with the datedness of the earlier conflicts, due to the characters that develop.

And at least each comic is a reference to a current thing (this latest one being a question in Jeopardy, there's a link in the comments). I don't think the babbling of the Nintendo soldiers in CAD is a reference to anything other than "heh Nintendo is stupid" (right?)
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2013-07-17 at 09:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #860

That was a link to the comic in general rather than an individual strip; the entire framing of Castle Vidcons is a war between the consoles. It doesn't update very often, but it's been doing so recently due to the new generation.
    Edit: I only found out about it recently and IMO the archive is worth a read even with the datedness of the earlier conflicts, due to the characters that develop.

And at least each comic is a reference to a current thing (this latest one being a question in Jeopardy, there's a link in the comments). I don't think the babbling of the Nintendo soldiers in CAD is a reference to anything other than "heh Nintendo is stupid" (right?)
    I honestly dont know, thats why I was hoping for a news post. That generally explains what thoughts were passing through his head when he wrote the comic.

21. - Top - End - #861

Newspost is up:

Quote Originally Posted by B^Uckley
    A couple of months ago, when Sony and Microsoft were revealing their next consoles, I remarked how stupid I though the idea of a consumer "Console War" was... until I pictured it as an actual war between consoles. Then it looked like fun.

I figure it will be at least 7-10 years until the next console war, and there aren't many new releases coming out at the moment, so why not jump on this now. So here's a fun little mythos for you that I imagine we'll periodically visit over the rest of the year. I have one planned for Friday, and then I'll just do them as the mood strikes.
    ...So, I guess this isn't really a reference to anything. Perhaps Buckley thinks the WiiU in general is stupid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

That's what I got out of it. Possibly because the Wii U is a glorified peripheral released shortly before the other two big players announced entirely new platforms? It doesn't fit the pattern of major console release duels Nintendo's been participating in since the 90's.

That said, Buckley, come on, your entire comic's "gaming" cred has always rested on following the stupid fanboy wars over consoles (usually but not always taking Microsoft's side and making random potshots at whichever competitor seems weaker, as in this comic).
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2013-07-17 at 12:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

23. - Top - End - #863

GnomeWizardGuy

So Buckley really is doing his own Castle Vidcons, just without - y'know - any of the stuff that makes me like Castle Vidcons.

Depicting a "console war" can work as a comic and give commentary on the game industry if it's somewhat impartial and based on facts and events. It's not worth it if it doesn't go beyond "hurr hurr <not-my-console> is stupid".

24. - Top - End - #864
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I don't know about the rest of you, but my biggest complaint is that the ps4 is clearly aiming at 10 o'clock.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crayzz View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but my biggest complaint is that the ps4 is clearly aiming at 10 o'clock.
    Well, maybe not exactly ten but certainly not three. I guess Buckley just picked some military phrase without any idea what it means.

But... I have to admit the stupid pun at the end got a smile out of me.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #866
    Orc in the Playground

Good, very good. I always thought the author was really good with his side storylines (Ethan McManus), his comments on the industry, his gamers, but totally sucked with his main story (and that he also had no real idea what to do with it).
    If the focus shifts from the story to the "other things" he did with CAD, that is indeed good news.
    I feel naked. You all know my stats!

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crayzz View Post
    So I guess you're former military. Or just some simple military code (12 o'clock front- 3 o' clock right). Just like how Indie explained to his dad.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Can someone give me the cliff's notes on where CAD is at the moment? I last read it around the miscarriage line and gave up. I'm just wondering what happened considering the title of this thread is "The end of Ctrl-Alt-Del". (And I don't want to give Buckley more views and/or spend a lot of time on his site anymore).

29. - Top - End - #869

He killed off the entire storyline of ethan and company and has gone back to mostly gag a day strips with some mini arc strips and the players featuring heavily.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Barbarian in the Playground

Other than that though, pretty much nothing's changed, except Buckley's faces faces are way too long now.