New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The end of Ctrl-Alt-Del

Finally. It took like 5 strips to prove that a hack can't change its B^Us. RIP Buckley's artistic growth 2012-2012

2. - Top - End - #152
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Nah, still valid. Violence was involved in the punchline, but it's not gore for the sake of gore substituting as humor...there's not even any blood visible.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

So THAT'S how they keep sticking around
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

So, is this a contest now about how long he can go without a punch line involving violence? If so I'd have called dibs much earlier... Like squashing ponies or skinning... stuff.

Uhm... well, I really can't say the strip has improved much from the earlier video games jokes humor wise... bu then again I didn't mind them back then. I did mind the totally random nonsensical jokes but those have been very rare for a while.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #155

I think it's a contest to see how long people who want to see CAD fail can hold out before they give up and decide the latest comic is the failure point.

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So, is this a contest now about how long he can go without a punch line involving violence? If so I'd have called dibs much earlier... Like squashing ponies or skinning... stuff.

Uhm... well, I really can't say the strip has improved much from the earlier video games jokes humor wise... bu then again I didn't mind them back then. I did mind the totally random nonsensical jokes but those have been very rare for a while.
    Murdering ponies gets a free pass from pretty much everybody.

I think it's a contest to see how long people who want to see CAD fail can hold out before they give up and decide the latest comic is the failure point.
    As a real CAD FAN I assure you I can appreciate when Bucko makes a good strip. So far, that has happened exactly nine times, two of which occured after the reb^ut. So statistically, it's been a great success.
    Objectively, it's still trash.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/ca...1212-5a929.png
    Spoiler
    Show
    No wonder, why they still live after many deaths.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20121203
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would you compare Devil May Cry and Dark/Demon Souls.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not even sure the latest strip is even supposed to be a "lol, violence, right?" strip. It's very...off. He doesn't show the players actually dying, the start of the violence happens before the final panel, and we get a shot of a respawn chamber.

Buckley was trying to do something with this one, but I'm not sure what. "Player 4 is psycho/out of touch"? "This is how the players come back"?

9. - Top - End - #159

That's mostly because Buckers is really bad at showing violence happen. The only times he did was the idiotic Paris Hilton strip, and it was so bad. He can only show mangled bodies.

I want to fit a loss joke in here please help

10. - Top - End - #160

Go ahead, it's not miscarriage like miscarriage CAD doesn't have plenty of miscarriage other bad comics miscarriage to make fun of in miscarriage its entire run, which is miscarriage why its miscarriage 'FANS' like miscarriage yourself reference many miscarriage different comics as proof miscarriage. After all, miscarriage a truly awful comic miscarriage would provide more miscarriage than one miscarriage example of bad miscarriage story.miscarriage miscarriage miscarriage miscarriage.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-12 at 07:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikialev View Post
    Murdering ponies gets a free pass from pretty much everybody.
    Uhm... I think you'd better not look into the media section to check just how many MLP threads there are on this forum that is not even affiliated with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Go ahead, it's not miscarriage like miscarriage CAD doesn't have plenty of miscarriage other bad comics miscarriage to make fun of in miscarriage its entire run, which is miscarriage why its miscarriage 'FANS' like miscarriage yourself reference many miscarriage different comics as proof miscarriage. After all, miscarriage a truly awful comic miscarriage would provide more miscarriage than one miscarriage example of bad miscarriage story.miscarriage miscarriage miscarriage miscarriage.
    I feel like there is a hidden meaning in this post but I just can't quite put my finger on it... Does it have to do with Wintereenmas?
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, gets a free pass from the people who are sick to death from the Ponies.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

is definitely not a joke and I have no intention of making light of it.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    is definitely not a joke and I have no intention of making light of it.
    Explaining the joke:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (*Loss* was the name of the miscarriage comic.)

15. - Top - End - #165

Subtle, I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Uhm... I think you'd better not look into the media section to check just how many MLP threads there are on this forum that is not even affiliated with the show.
    If you want a picture of the future, imagine me laughing at this post, forever

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I wonder how Tim will react if they decided to put Clan Invasion or Word of Blake Jihad. I wonder if Capellan Confederation (Maxmillian Liao owned) had cooperated the company that owned Mech Warrior Online.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I wonder how Tim will react if they decided to put Clan Invasion or Word of Blake Jihad. I wonder if Capellan Confederation (Maxmillian Liao owned) had cooperated the company that owned Mech Warrior Online.
    I find this one pretty funny all things considered, because I can relate: I haven't played Mechwarrior Online (which is what I'm assuming this is based on), but I have indeed done stuff like this on other, similar games.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2012-12-14 at 01:47 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

I laughed because I have played MWO, and he's not very far off the mark. There are free unlimited-use trial mechs for total newbies, but they suck, and if you do badly enough it is entirely possible you will become too poor to buy new legs for your Mech after your current set gets shot off in battle.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, this is just a reference joke. This isn't RELATED to what The Glyphstone pointed out.

Its just "I can't move because I don't have legs"

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Meh, this is just a reference joke. This isn't RELATED to what The Glyphstone pointed out.

Its just "I can't move because I don't have legs"
    It's "I can't move because I don't have legs, because this game is 'Free-to-Play' but I didn't spend months or large sums of real money to buy legs'. The point is more obvious if you glance at his main-page 'blog', where the current topic is Freemium games, he just uses MWO this time to illustrate the humor.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-14 at 06:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

If you can't make the joke funny except to a few people that know exactly what your talking about then DON'T MAKE THE JOKE.

The Devil May cry joke, even though I DON'T play devil may cry I still found funny.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    If you can't make the joke funny except to a few people that know exactly what your talking about then DON'T MAKE THE JOKE.

The Devil May cry joke, even though I DON'T play devil may cry I still found funny.
    Did you miss Justyn, above, saying he thought it was funny even though he didn't play the game being mocked? Freemium games are not exactly a niche, obscure topic, if you didn't get it you're likely in a minority. Not finding it funny, you'll have a lot more company...it's chuckle-worthy humor at best, and Buckley being weeks or months late to the joke everyone else used already at worst.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-14 at 07:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Thing is the joke was not SET UP to be even TALKING about the free to play model.

Because It wasn't "I can't afford legs for my mech"

Its "I FORGOT to buy legs for my mech"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

... Wow, way to take things too serious... I am a bit confused he started out with the old "nonsensical soldier brabble" joke (which is pretty old) but the punchline wasn't realted at all.
    What I gathered from it is, it is possible to start the game without a properly equipped mech which seems like a bug? But apparently that's not it. I don't know. It was worth a chuckle, anyway.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

wow guys. it was a joke. no need to tear it appart and prod at small things until it's this huge gibbering mess just because you don't like the writer :/
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a real CAD FAN
    it's still trash.
    Hm.

Personally, I have enjoyed this comic for a long time. The miscarriage arc was a somber form of sad that I found refreshing, not to mention somehow therapeutic for people who have had similar problems. The comic itself is funny and made good strides at community organizing of games as well as game promotion for hidden gems I would not have found without the site. I liked his storytelling. And that's good enough for me.

Honestly, I shouldn't be surprised to find hate for hate's sake on the internet of all places. People are always people.
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2012-12-14 at 11:49 AM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Its highly dismissive to say something is hate for hates sake.

Its like saying that your opinion is the only true one/\.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

This latest comic is a good example of my biggest issue with CAD joke strips. They often have a perfectly good idea for a joke but choke up on the delivery. Forgive me if I do tear this strip up a little for analysis but it's a good example of what I mean.

The punchline is "I forgot to buy legs for my mech" but it's delivered in a totally unnecessary speech bubble. We can see that the mech has no legs, we don't need to also read that. That they are buying mech parts should have been included in the setup, except that is used to delivery a totally different joke about pilot jargon. Having a lead-up joke is okay but the primary purpose should still be setting up the main joke, which it fails to deliver. In fact the setup doesn't even make it clear they're in mechs.

The previous strip has a similar problem. The punchline is Four thinking that they can cosplay for the Hobbit if they cut off their legs, which is delivered well wordlessly in the second-last panel. The entire last panel is superfluous - cut it off and it's a considerably better delivered joke.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-12-14 at 04:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Colossus in the Playground

I agree with you on the hobbit joke, but not so much on this one. I liked it because you have one guy who is getting into it by spouting every pilot related bit of jargon he can think of. Sort of like playing a knight and insisting on quoting as many monthy python scenes as you can, it was basically a joke all on its own, then you had another punchline of a joke where you get to see a guy who was probably so into trying to buy the coolest weapons and whatnot for his mech he forgot to make sure he even had all the basic parts first. I could actually see myself doing this, as I wouldnt even think of buying legs unless it was put right in front of me. It was enough to get a smirk and a "heh" from me at least.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That's the thing though - the concept behind the joke is fine, it's that the delivery is so clunky it kills it. If the setup was something like a jargon spouting Player boasting about all the amazing weapons he'd bought and the last panel was him boasting he's ready for anything, with a mech torso bristling with guns resting on cinder blocks, then it would be a stellar strip.