New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast

Thread: Death's End IC

1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Death's End IC

Lirian takes her time with breakfast, making sure Frost has had enough to eat. When she's done, she stuffs a few extra bacon strips in her backpack with the cat in case he (or she) should get hungry. She then departs for a bit of shopping.
    She looks not for the large stores along the main road, but the little, privately-run type shops with well-decorated signs. The type found just down back alleys, that seem to be lost in time and almost constantly a few decades behind, but where one can often find neat old trinkets at extraordinarily low prices. Sure the selection is never as good, but you're almost guaranteed to find something neat in each one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let me know about those flowers," he said to Ben, "I want to know how they can supplement my arrows." Looking at the shops, he entered the general store. The smithy likely wouldn't deal with pelts, and alchemists certainly weren't going to need wolfskin.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seychelles would return the contract once her companions had seen it to their satisfaction and after having signed what was appropriate to sign, if anything. Thereafter she would make her way to the clothier and purchasing lead-lined explorer's clothing with two interior pockets, one modified to hold Basil and the other for her spellbook.

Thereafter she would ask around in an attempt to find a magician or someone else who might be capable of creating magical items.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Avatar from the NSFW webcomic, Go Get a Roomie.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Ben: The door closes behind you, revealing a large open chamber furnished only by shelves on either side and a large counter at the end of the hall. You also see that there are two sets of staircases behind the counter: one leading to a second floor and the other leading to a cellar or a basement of some kind. From the minute you step into the store, you can tell that something is very wrong - various pieces of glassware that make up alchemy kits lie shattered on the floor, and it looks as though the remainder of the kits have been cleared off the shelves, along with any other sort of visible wares.
    "Oh, thank the Twelve they finally sent someone! But wait, who are you?" The speaker is an old man wearing a simple tunic, although you can see a pair of what seem to be wands strapped to his belt. His bearing is not overly formal, his skin is dark, and he speaks with a hint of an accent - it isn't much, but it would be a fair bet to say that this man is Siaran.

Lirian, Seychelles: After a time, the two of you manage to converge on a single store. Situated in one of Fiorne's southern side streets is a shop with no name, known only to the locals as 'Zed's'. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about the outside of the store, boasting only a single sign and no windows. Indeed, if either of you were not specifically looking for out of the way shops or magicians it is likely you would have missed it completely. As it stands, the both of you knew where to look. The inside of the store is almost completely opposite to the outside. The space here could only be described as 'poky', landing and aisles dominated by what seems to be an eclectic group of assorted items. Bright orange and blue lights flicker through the air, filling your nostrils with a faint sense of smoke mixed with an unknown, if not unpleasant odor. The door behind you also makes a small ringing sound as you come in, as if an invisible bell were attached to the hinges. All of a sudden, a rather small figure approaches you wearing a robe that is clearly several sizes too big for him and what looks to be an obviously fake nose and mustache.
    "Hi there! What can I do you for?"

Soryn: You and Ben split up with nothing more than a nod as you head towards the general store, Arran following silently behind you. The sign outside reads 'Larstam's Goods', complete with an image of a donkey and a carrot. Once inside, you find yourself in what looks to be an entrance hallway, with three open archways on your right, left, and directly ahead of you. The whole space is lit by warm torchlight, reflecting off of the obviously fake gold gilt that adorns the dark wood decor within. Your attention is also immediately grabbed by a human woman who stands right in front of you, her small smile half hidden behind a veil of auburn hair.
    Kill her. It is so simple, if you but reach out your hand. The sudden reappearance of the voice echoes in your mind almost as if it had spoken aloud. However, the woman does not seem to have noticed and promptly invites you in. She leads you through the central arch and into a smaller chamber which is dominated by shelves and a small table, complete with a metal box that you take to be a safe and several scales. The woman introduces herself as Elisha Larstam, and asks you sort of trade it is the two of you are interested in.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-24 at 08:39 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #395

"I'm looking to see whether or not you'll be able to create a pair of anklets for me," Seychelles said, removing a piece of paper that detailed the anklet.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh good, you're back, Soryn thought sarcastically. I'm still not going to listen to you though. Not until you give me answers. Pulling the wolf pelt out of his pack, he set it before Elisha. "For now, skins," he replied, "though I would be interested in taking a look at your wares after this." He turned the pelt over for Elisha, showing her how cleanly it had been cut from the body. "Freshly skinned," he remarked, "no nicks or cuts, just one solid piece. Dried overnight. The fur is clean." Having lived in the wild by himself, the advantages of a good pelt were apparent to him. He hoped this woman saw the same.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

The only one who sent anyone was me, who sent me Ben says with a grin. Nomatter how serious he tries to be, no gnome can resist joking around. I keep the mask for seriousness thought Ben.

I see you are in a bit of shambles right now, but maybe I can help you if you are willing to help me? I have a couple of things that I need help with that require complete, absolute, unconditional discretion, and was told here is where I could find someone for my needs. For the best of causes, I assure you. Lets start with you, though... What happened here?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2012-12-24 at 06:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Lirian greets Sey as they enter the store, then stands back to wait her turn.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Ben: The elderly man pauses, appraising you for a second time. His eyes narrow slightly, giving further proof to his current state of nervousness and nerves. The man's stance has also shifted, his legs slightly bent and shoulder-width apart, as if bracing for an attack of some sort.
    "Hold on. So you're not here under contract? This is my shop, I think you had better explain yourself before I say anything else." His back is straight and his eyes remain proud, despite the shambles or misfortune he finds himself in. Yet, he makes no sort of move to defend himself from a would-be intruder. This is an unusual sort of man indeed.

Lirian, Seychelles: "Let's just take a look... yes, yes indeed! These are quite lovely, yes they are. I can have this made in two days, yes I can." Upon closer examination, you can see that the artificer's eyes are red and bloodshot, and what is left of his hair is pure white and stands on end. Definitely a gnome. He folds up the paper, nodding furiously as he moves over to Lirian. He peers up at the catfolk through tinted lenses.
    "Oh my, you're a weird one. What is it you would like, dearie?"

Arran, Calia, Soryn: Elisha takes up the pelt that Soryn offers to her, examining the coat and the overall size. Laying it out on the counter, she pulls out several metal utensils and measures the entirety of the wolf skin. The merchant pauses for a moment, weighing the value in her mind before turning back to the three of you.
    "I tell you what. I can straight up pay you 25 solid gold marks right here and now, or you could put that money towards store credit. It would mean that you can save 25 marks on any purchase you make here in the future. Actually, this will apply to just about anything you bring in here." The woman's face is open and her eyes clear - there does not seem to be any sort of deceit in her countenance. She moves towards the other entrances, directing your attention to a great deal of what look like adventuring goods. The right hall is filled largely with weapons and armor such as bows, hides and boiled leathers, while the other is stocked up with rations, pouches, scrolls, and various other small items that might prove useful to you on your journeys.
    "There is a great selection here. Browse as you need and take your time making up your mind. It's not as if Fiorne is going anywhere."

Spoiler
    Show
    Treat the shop as though you were shopping from the 'Adventuring Gear' section in Goods and Services (pages 126-127 of the PHB) and add any non-metal weapons/armor to the selection.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-24 at 09:45 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh I misunderstood you. I thought you meant someone sent for the shattered glass. I thought maybe you had been robbed or attacked. See, my first reaction was to help! Ben said with a smile. maybe I started wrong. My name is Ben, I am certainly under contract, and I was advised to come here to find someone who can help me. Ben holds his hand out, hoping that a proper introduction would calm the old man down
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Lirian smiles down at the storekeeper, greeting him with a quick "Heyo."
    She thinks for a second before responding.
    "I would like to see what you have ready to go. Something strange, but useful. Perhaps something you'd have a harder time selling to other customers, but really more useful in your opinion. Preferably not too expensive: say somewhere around one hundred marks. Know anything that sounds like that?"
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking a cursory glance around the store, Soryn picked out a signal whistle and two pieces of chalk. Things he usually wouldn't need, but now that he had others to think about, these were now necessities. Handing them to Elisha, he replied, "No offense, Miss Larstam, but as convenient as store credit sounds, gold is gold. Deduct the price of these items, and I will take the remainder in coin. Thank you for your business." The curtness was not out of character for him, and he would have haggled for more than twenty-five gold pieces for an almost complete pelt, but Soryn had suddenly remembered something he should have taken care of first. I need to go find Caius. Now.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2012-12-25 at 07:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Firbolg in the Playground

Arran also picks out several items, which he gathers together on the store counter before purchasing. In all, they are: Empty journal (15g), Pencil x12 (1s 2c), Sealing wax (1g), Signet ring (5g), Belt pouch (1g), Hammer (5s), Dagger (2g), Masterwork Tool, Survival (50g). He hands Elisha 74g 7s and doesn't ask for change. Then he waits for Calia to deal.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Ben: The old shopkeeper seems to relax slightly as he listens to your explanation, but you find that he remains wary of your presence. The deep blue wells of his eyes bore into you.
    "Good, so the guild did send you. My name is Kamose, and I'm the owner of this fine establishment." His words drip with sarcasm, and he kicks a piece of the shattered glass across the floor. He is not unduly angry, but now that you get a better look at him, you can see that the old man is... sad? His eyes are downcast and his back is hunched over - a radical change in posture from even a moment ago. It's almost as if Kamose was being held up by a balloon which has just now been deflated.
    "You're right of course: I have been robbed. This happened about three days ago, and the shop has been closed ever since. That's why I got so startled when you came rushing in here!" Kamose moves towards the shelves and gestures to the space which all of his visible wares should occupy.
    "He took all the working alchemy kits, along with a sizable amount of my personal glassware. The ingredients cabinet is empty, it's..." He pauses, seemingly out of breath for the moment. Moving to the other side of the room, Kamose finds a seat on one of the two stools behind the counter.

Lirian, Seychelles: The gnome artificer scratches his head at Lirian's request, spinning almost in a full circle and pausing for a moment before his eyes light up once again.
    "I know, I know! I can get you a chronocharm! Fascinating things they are, five to a whole set. Now these go around your neck, and most of them can only be used once per day." He leads you down one of the aisles, pulling out a drawer to display a set of five ornate charms. From his belt, he pulls out a silver chain and attaches one of chronocharms to it.
    "You see, one chain can hold up to five of them. They cost 500 gold marks apiece, but they're plenty useful in a pinch, if you know what I mean."

Arran, Calia, Soryn: Elisha counts the coins from Soryn and Arran's trades carefully before opening up a coinpurse at her side and inserting them one at a time. She then looks over all the wares that the pair have brought before her, pausing only at the signet ring that Arran picked out.
    "Hold on a minute there hon. As you can see, we don't presume to add inscriptions or actual signets on our rings. The band itself is only 4 gold marks, and the last piece of gold is to go over to Torig's and get it inscribed for you." From her purse she fishes out a single mark and tosses it back to the fighter, the light glinting off the engraved head of the old empress as it flies through the air.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-25 at 11:54 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmn." replies Lirian. "Sounds useful and neat, but a tad expensive. I'll remember them for next time I come by, perhaps I'll have a bit more money. Anything less expensive?"
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

16. - Top - End - #406

The human smiled at the little man. "I cannot commission those yet, so please do not exert your efforts before I can. Should I die in an adventure, it would be thoroughly upsetting for you. I mean, how many people want to wear anklets?" Seychelles gave him a grin and left the shop after winking at Lirian. Basil was curled around her neck, a living ermine scarf.

She would make her way to the temple to investigate the religious considerations concerning the use of cadavers for medical investigation.
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2012-12-25 at 03:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Ben: The old shopkeeper seems to relax slightly as he listens to your explanation, but you find that he remains wary of your presence. The deep blue wells of his eyes bore into you.
    "Good, so the guild did send you. My name is Kamose, and I'm the owner of this fine establishment." His words drip with sarcasm, and he kicks a piece of the shattered glass across the floor. He is not unduly angry, but now that you get a better look at him, you can see that the old man is... sad? His eyes are downcast and his back is hunched over - a radical change in posture from even a moment ago. It's almost as if Kamose was being held up by a balloon which has just now been deflated.
    "You're right of course: I have been robbed. This happened about three days ago, and the shop has been closed ever since. That's why I got so startled when you came rushing in here!" Kamose moves towards the shelves and gestures to the space which all of his visible wares should occupy.
    "He took all the working alchemy kits, along with a sizable amount of my personal glassware. The ingredients cabinet is empty, it's..." He pauses, seemingly out of breath for the moment. Moving to the other side of the room, Kamose finds a seat on one of the two stools behind the counter.

He? How do you know it is a he, or that it was one person? Do you know who robbed you?
    Ben gives a long pause, allowing Kamose to understand that a mutual friendship could be beneficial. If Ben is concerned about helping Kamose, then maybe Kamose could help Ben.

I have three things that I could use help on, but nobody else can know about any of them, with different reasons for each that I don't have time to go into at the moment. One involves some ingredients, one involves a potion I have on me presently that I would like to know more about, and the last involves a book that I could use. But first, tell me what you know about who robbed you, and we'll worry about my stuff once we have talked a bit about this.

And you can count on my discretion, whoever robbed you will not find out that I am after them, at least not until it is too late for them to do anything about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Soryn counted out the pieces of gold, silver, and copper, making sure he got the right amount. Dropping the signal whistle and chalk into a smaller compartment in his backpack, he turned and walked out of the store, leaving Arran and Calia to do their business. As he headed back to the Guild, he nodded in the direction of the temple, muttering a quick prayer under his breath for Phanine. That'll have to do, he thought.

Soon, Soryn entered the guild headquarters. He wasn't sure if either of them would be in the command office, but seeing as the day was already well underway, one or both of them should be in there, administrating. He walked there, hoping to find one of them.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Ben: "I know that it was a he, because I think I know who did this: Ambrose, my erstwhile apprentice." Kamose sighs once again, his Siaran frame diminished in this light. The merchant seems to have perked up somewhat at your threefold secret proposition though, a mercantile gleam entering his eye.
    "If you are truly willing to part with knowledge of your own, then maybe we can reach some sort of arrangement. You see, I think that Ambrose or whoever stole all of my equipment was incredibly thorough: they took something else of mine, something valuable and dangerous." The old man gets up, beckoning you over to the door at the back of the shop. From one of his pockets he pulls a key that looks like it is made of lead, inserting it into the heavy door and using his shoulder to help thrust open the portal. The two of you stand at the top of a set of stairs that descend down into the earth.
    "You see, I think it was Ambrose for a couple of reasons. He is skilled at his craft, which means he would know what to take and how much of it would yield him the highest profit if sold together. More importantly though, he is the only person besides myself who has a key to this basement, and he has since gone missing." As he speaks, Kamose leads you down into a smaller chamber. This space is radically different from the shop upstairs, consisting of a large table, several vents in the ceiling and an open set of double doors that reveal a largely empty storeroom of barrels and shelves. The alchemist sits himself down at the workbench table this time, still dejected but ignited by a newfound spark.

Seychelles: You make your way into the temple without any real trouble - there doesn't seem to be anyone outside standing guard, and the sizeable double doors into the stone structure have been completely left ajar. However, as you pass underneath the statues of the greats, you get a strong mixed feeling of judgment and exultation, as though someone or something has looked deep within your soul and pulled something radiant out of the depths. The sight on the other side is something to behold indeed, a massive sweeping space framed by intricate marble. The base of the temple is circular, and while the torches set on the pillars that protrude out of the walls do provide some light, the vast majority of the temple's illumination comes from an oculus far above your head. From its gaping mouth the sun pours into the consecrated space, dappling it with golden rays. The outer walls of the temple are divided into twelve sections, a large shrine for each of the imperial divinities visible even from the entrance. At the center of the chamber, there is a small building, which you assume must be an administrative structure or altar of some kind. Your observations are cut off at the approach of a cleric who bears the mark of Typhos on his brow. As you watch, the sigil of the Night Tyrant seems to absorb all of the light surrounding it, as if emulating a magical parasite of sorts.
    "Good day to you. Have you come to pray at one of the shrines, or make an offering? The temple is free to all who wish to worship."

Spoiler
    Show
    I based the imagining of this temple (which is the template for an orthodox temple to the Twelve) off of the Pantheon in Rome.

Lirian: As Seychelles leaves, the gnome simply smiles and nods. In his hand, he still holds the paper that the abjurer left behind. Folding it up carefully, the artificer puts it in his pocket while mumbling under his breath something about 'laziness'. His smile remains however, and he continues to search for something for you. Eventually, the two of you come to another drawer locked with a rune of some sort. The gnome closes his eyes and presses his hand to the magic symbol, breaking the connection and opening what looks to be a safe built into the wall. Inside are an assortment of what you can blatantly tell are more potent magic items - amulets, clothing, jewelry, you name it. From a leather pouch hanging on one of the doors, the artificer (who by this point you presume is named Zed, seeing as there is no one else here) pulls out a bottle of green viscous material bound in an elegant glass bottle.
    "There you are, furball! I just got this new toy shipped in from Aquinal. It's called 'universal solvent', and it'll break apart any forces of attraction. Natural adhesive, sovereign glue spells, tanglefoot bags, you name it! The best part? It's only fifty gold marks at the current market price. I think that every adventurer worth their pepper would need something like this, wouldn't you say?" If anything, the gnome's excitement has only gone up since you told him to look for something cheaper.

Soryn:
    Like Seychelles, your trip from the shopping district is largely uneventful, the guards wordlessly opening the doors into the vestibule for you. Once inside, you note that the halls are more populated now that breakfast has been completed. However, there is no sign of Phalen or any of her followers that you can currently see. The command office doors are slightly ajar, conveniently as if to invite any guild members inside. Behind the desk sits Aveline, but the fighter has yet to notice your presence as she is currently perusing a document of some kind - it is rather hard to read upside down at a distance through a crack in the door without attracting attention, even if one happens to be an elf.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-26 at 10:14 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Lirian gives her best look of contemplation.
    "Hmn. I'll admit, you're right. Such a substance would be invaluable for anyone in my line of work. And it dissolves any forces of attraction, you say? Well, there's this one pair I'm working with who could certainly use a half-dose of the stuff. Stuck together like glue..."
    She tries to buy herself some time to decide whether or not she really wants it without antagonizing the shopkeeper.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia makes it all the way to the general store before remembering the wagon isn't there and excusing herself quietly to go get it. She runs, or at least walks in a hurried sort of manner, to the stables at the Thorn Gate. The streets are busy, but she doesn't let herself get distracted or lost, and shortly finds herself at the base of the looming walls. She goes up to someone who looks like they might know what they're doing, and clears her throat pointedly. "Um, excuse me, I'm from the Adventurer's Guild. I'm here to pick up the wagon? The one that's full of armor and weapons and stuff. Could you help me with that, please?"

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Ben goes to the cellar room and waits a moment before speaking. This man is not a nervous old man as he thought. Maybe it is an act, or a method to keep me conversationally disarmed? Ben thought.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[19] for Sense Motive, just in case
    Who is this Ambrose? Can you describe him for me, and tell me what you know about him? And do you think that there was anyone who knew about what was stolen, and kidnapped him and stole the key?

Ben then takes a better look around, to get a better understanding of this new room. [spoiler]taking a 10 in spot[/roll]

So what is this room? What was down here that you believe he stole?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Calia: Thankfully, you are greeted at the Thorn Gate by several familiar faces from the night before - one man in particular stands out. He looks to be in charge of the others and who addressed Marius when you first arrived. He promptly introduces himself as Asyar, and listens to your request.
    "Oh yeah, I remember you guys. All of your equipment has been cleaned and stacked up for you to collect here." The man leads you into one of the stables, to a large table near the parked wagon. On it lie all seven suits of armor, along with the appropriate weapons and ammunition from the goblin raid last night.
    "Do you want some help carrying all of this? I can probably spare a few of my men."

Lirian: Zed is quite compliant, nodding as he examines the liquid under the artificial light of the sconces.
    "Oh, take your time! I'm not making any magic items right now, no no I am not." The gnome seems to have seen through your ruse, but he is unperturbed by your current indecision. Despite his appearance, he must somehow understand the value of thought before action.

Ben: Kamose does not appear to have any inherent ulterior motives, and so far has come across as honest in his dealings with you. Any further examination of the cellar doesn't come up with any revelations either. The elderly alchemist leans in towards you in response to your questions.
    "A couple of weeks ago, Ambrose's cousin died under guild contract. He's a young man, and prone to passion. I think he blames the guild over what happened, but I would speak to Falleria and the staff over at the Lucky Copper. What I do know is that he's been very bitter ever since what happened, muttering under his breath and generally having a bad attitude. I've had to kick him out twice, and now this." Kamose pauses, looking around the room almost as if to check if anyone else is present. After he is satisfied, he turns back to you.
    "Look, I am worried about Ambrose, but the real reason I'm concerned right now is because of what he took. Nearly twenty years ago, I came across an ancient trove of pale fire - two remarkably well preserved jars of the stuff. For almost two decades I have kept them safe and secret, protecting them from any kind of exposure. And now it's all gone, taken with the rest of the goods. If you help me get the pale fire back safely and secretly, I promise to help you with all your alchemical needs."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-26 at 10:15 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Soryn opened the door and stepped inside, knocking the door as a formality. Besides, if Aveline had not expected people to simply walk in, she would not have left the door ajar. "I need to speak to you," he said, closing the door behind him. This was likely to be a private conversation, and after their encounter last night, there was no need for subtlety. Making sure the door was shut, he opened his backpack, and pulled out the map. "You may want to look at this," he continued quietly, holding the map out to Aveline. Just because the door was closed didn't mean there wouldn't be prying ears close by, especially if there really was something going on. Maybe she'll even be a little more cooperative, he thought, slightly hopeful - after what he saw last night though, it was a long shot.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Firbolg in the Playground

Arran catches the coin with both hands and says, "Okay, thanks. Can you point me in the direction of Torig's?" Assuming she does so, he heads directly there.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that sounds like a deal. I will go to the Lucky Copper and find what I can, but it is apparent that this is something that must stay absolutely secret. I need to keep up appearances and keep up my contracts. I actually have to leave for one soon, but I can get what information I can and give it to you before we leave.

And now, lets talk about my needs. In my line of work, it is necessary to, at some points, utilize poisons. The first thing I need help with is turning this into useable poisons.
    Ben pulls out the jar of moonleaf, and places it on the table in front of Kamose

Second, I have been tasked with testing out experimental potions from someone at the guild. Before we give it an official test, I would like to know what effects we can expect. Do you think you could take a quick look at this and tell me what you would know? Or, do you think you would know a safe place to test this out? The creator called it "Elixer of Giants Strength" and wants notes of how this works in the trial run.
    Ben pulls out the potion, and places it next to the jar.

The third thing that I need is a book on making poisons, and possibly some things that would assist in creating them out and about. I will be traveling soon to an area that should be filled with different things that would be useable, and a guide and any extra equipment would certainly be helpful. I definitely could use a pear of scissors and some gloves, as I already had trouble collecting the moonleaf and would love to avoid accidentally harming myself.

Ben gives his new friend a moment to take it all in, before continuing. So it seems that we both need to deal with discretion. If you have a problem with poison-users, I can leave now, but I can assure you that I do not use it on innocents, and it isnt efficient to use large amounts at once. I mainly use them to keep enemy targets from harming those I am charged to protect.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Arran: After finishing your transaction, Elisha mentions offhandedly that Torig is the best smith in Fiorne, and that his shop includes wares such as heavy weapons and armor, as well as all sorts of metallurgy.
    "The three shops along this row - apparently, some of the locals have taken to calling us 'the Big Three' - are the prime market for adventurers. My brothers and I sell general stuff, like rations and basic equipment as well as catering to those who prefer light armor and alternative forms of weaponry. Torig supplies people like yourself who are in them market for steel, and Kamose supplies all sorts of potions and alchemical reagents. At least, he did until three days ago." The shopkeeper's mouth twists downwards slightly, her expression demure. She directs you to Torig's, which is the shop directly west of you. Unlike the two storefronts on either side of it, Torig's Arms actually has a sizeable open component to it: a great forge has been built into the cobblestone, complete with all the amenities such as a well organized workbench, a grindstone and an anvil. You are greeted by a dwarf figure in a soot-stained apron, a gruff looking fellow who introduces himself as Torig Corrium.
    "You just came from the Larstam's Goods, right? How's Elisha and the boys?"

Ben: Kamose's face could only be described as thoughtful as he listens to what you have to say. The old man nods slowly in the ensuing silence, thinking about what to say no doubt.
    "Personally, I have no problems with poisons. They're a form of tool, just like any other regular weapon. I would hardly be in the alchemy business if I couldn't turn a profit on poisons, could I?" He chuckles once.
    "The scissors and gloves you can have for free, and as for a book on poisons... I don't think I have anything like that in stock, but I might be able to order something from Aquinal for you." After a minute of thought, Kamose stands up. Crossing the room, he holds out his hand for the potion that Firehollow gave you.
    "I can also test some of this. It will take some time and likely ruin the draught, but I should be able to tell you all the pertinent effects of a potion like this in combat. That way, you can report your 'findings' without any sort of risk. It's up to you."

Soryn: The office is quiet, even more so than last night. It's almost as if there is an actual absence of sound from outside - you get the sneaking suspicion that this room, when sealed off is soundproof. Aveline takes the map from you, scanning it over twice before laying it to rest on the wood of the desk. She says nothing at first, her expression utterly blank as she stares back at you.
    "Where did you get this? More to the point, why didn't this come out in the briefing?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-26 at 02:35 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Ben: Kamose's face could only be described as thoughtful as he listens to what you have to say. The old man nods slowly in the ensuing silence, thinking about what to say no doubt.
    "Personally, I have no problems with poisons. They're a form of tool, just like any other regular weapon. I would hardly be in the alchemy business if I couldn't turn a profit on poisons, could I?" He chuckles once.
    "The scissors and gloves you can have for free, and as for a book on poisons... I don't think I have anything like that in stock, but I might be able to order something from Aquinal for you." After a minute of thought, Kamose stands up. Crossing the room, he holds out his hand for the potion that Firehollow gave you.
    "I can also test some of this. It will take some time and likely ruin the draught, but I should be able to tell you all the pertinent effects of a potion like this in combat. That way, you can report your 'findings' without any sort of risk. It's up to you."
    The mutual understanding put Ben more at ease.

I thank you all for the help. Do you think there is equipment I can use here, so that others more sensitive to the issue don't know I am crafting poison? I could also benefit greatly from your experience and expertise. And ordering the book would also be kind of you.

Similarly, I think it would be best to report the side effects of the potion without having to ingest it. How long do you think it would take? If it takes too long, I think it might be best to keep it around as a potential last resort.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #419

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[8] + 11 v. 25 to determine whether this is affected by the Hallow spell. If it's only Consecrate, then the DC is 22. Either way I'll probably fail.

I'm declaring that priests are still 'fathers' in this world. If there's a special term you'd rather I use, I'll edit it in.
    To the priest, she shook her head. "Good day, Pater," Sey started, "I'm here on a matter of a more secular nature. I am interested in the anatomies of humanoids, as so that I might learn how better to stop them from dying. From what I understand, in lieu of a morgue, this temple serves as the local crypt, at least before further funerary arrangements can be finalized."
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2012-12-27 at 01:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's just say 'herb picking' was more fruitful than a few flowers," Soryn responded, the corner of his mouth turning up ever so slightly. "I can't recognize the writing, but I had a sneaking suspicion that you or Caius might. Good thing I found you - otherwise I'd have to catch Caius up on... our talk." He made sure not to push the issue of letting him in on the secret though, lest he sounded desperate.