New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 7: At the Price of Oblivion

So... is that how tough Bec Noir is? They could have just knocked him over and punked him with a big spike?

And like... why is Hope more powerful than the Green Sun? The green sun is powerful because it is an unfeasibly gigantic magic fireball thing. Hope is ???

And is time travel not going to sort this out, defusing most of the dramatic tension?

2. - Top - End - #902
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Buuuuuuullllllllcrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppp.

There's no way in Derse that death was Just enough for Jade to die permanently. I call shenanigans.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post

There's no way in Derse that death was Just enough for Jade to die permanently. I call shenanigans.
    Why not? Jade directly and indirectly attempted to murder people just to get them to cooperate. And I doubt GT resurrection cares about whether you've been corrupted: If your powers are used for ill, you don't deserve them.
    "You think you have won, do you? You are mistaken! I will not be defeated! I will destroy EVERYTHING and you BOTH will die! I hold the prophecy stone in my hands. When it breaks the DARK DRAGON will rise to destroy ALL of Silmaria. You cannot stop me. NO ONE can stop me. I AM YOUR DOOM!" - QFG V

I would be very grateful for any feedback on the homebrewed stuff I've created:
    The Warp Walker, The Glorious Berserker

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to have to agree with you.

this is bull of the highest degree. if Aranea is manipulating Hussie to change the story to make it Just, my opinion of her just plummeted to "complete monster" if Hussie isn't, then my opinion of Hussie (both real and imagined) just plummeted to complete monster, because I liked Jade, and I don't think I'll read Homestuck anymore if this sticks.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #905
    Firbolg in the Playground

Man, that would be really dramatic if we hadn't just introduced a character with the power to bring people back to life.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #906

Or recently introduced the ability to literally retcon the storyline.

I saw it as Aranea using Lighthax somehow anyway, rather than it actually being a legit Just death.

There really isn't any drama here. Which makes all the drama everywhere about it absolutely hilarious.

EDIT: Looking at it again, the light symbol flashed right behind the "Lucky 8r8k!!!!!!!!" sign when it appeared. So, yeah. Lighthax were involved.
    Last edited by The_Final_Stand; 2013-09-14 at 03:03 PM.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

the drama is not about her coming back, its about her dying in the first place!

it should not have happened! there was no way for it to happen! I call hax!

8. - Top - End - #908

PirateGuy

Yeah, given Aranea's words at the top of the page I'll assume Lighthax were involved with keeping the death permanent, but it's still a really crappy move to make.

... Then again making it so that Jade doesn't get mind controlled again could take a while, possibly longer than it would take for her to revive. Given that we still have our Life player fully functional and able to be de-controlled (presumably by removing the tiaratop), this may have been a short-term necessity for the long-term goal.

9. - Top - End - #909

ElfMonkGuy

It seems fairly obvious that Aranea played some role in it, seeing as her eye flashes in the clock and the Light symbol appears just before the clock swings over to Just.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

Pffhehehehehe.

The best thing about this comic anymore are the sweet bro and hella jeff references.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I gotta be honest. I kind of saw this one coming. At this point, like Dave has said, Lord English isn't a direct threat to John or any of the kids at the moment. and since Aranea seems to be shaping up to be one of the major players in Act 6, something needed to be done to give him an emotional reason to work against her. Short of offing the mayor, it was going to be one of the kids, and of the group, Jade is the one closest to John (except perhaps for Dave), and, considering her abilities, easily establishes Aranea as a threat.

Still, aside from Jade being as beloved as she is, this seems a bit... predictable, actually. I can't help feeling that the last shoe has yet to drop.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    So... is that how tough Bec Noir is? They could have just knocked him over and punked him with a big spike?
    A big part of Bec Noir's power comes from his ruthlessly brutal personality -- remember, he was able to easily beat the Black King when both of them had the same prototypings and were equally-powerful.

In Jade's place, Bec Noir wouldn't have died, because he wouldn't have sat around listening to all of that or wasted time trying to confront Jake's hope field -- he would have teleported behind Aranea and cut her arm off the moment she started talking (and even if he didn't realize the ring was what was keeping her alive, he would have just kept stabbing and slicing at her until he'd cut her to pieces to the point where she wasn't wearing the ring anymore.) Jade doesn't have the sociopathic mindset necessary to immediately leap to brutally murdering people with her powers as a solution; Jack does. Look at his first 'fight' with John, or his encounter with Vriska, and you see the same thing -- Jack doesn't fool around the way the kids and most other characters do.

Bec Noir also has some power from the three other prototypings, plus the generic power of a four-prototyping Black Queen (who is supposed to be powerful enough to serve as an end boss to an entire group of players even without Bec's prototyping.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2013-09-14 at 06:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #913

PirateGuy

It's still likely that he wouldn't be able to fight against the Hope Field Jake's emitting. The Red Miles might have had some effect, but given the massive powerup going on here even that might not have had the desired effect.

Also we'd need to keep in mind that Jack would likely want to go after the strongest opponent possible, he's looking for a fight, remember? As such, while he might go after Aranea at first (which, as stated by the Spidertroll herself, wouldn't stop Jake), his attention would quickly be drawn to the big ball of white hopey light that's spawning angels and emitting great big old person talk.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

This is less about the comic and more about the fandom...

I've never seen a fandom in which people get so involved. I have seen people getting remarkably upset about the various happenings in Homestuck- to the point of claiming they'll quit the comic, etc etc...

I dunno, I guess it's my problem, since I can't get into the comic as much as some other people.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

15. - Top - End - #915

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post

I've never seen a fandom in which people get so involved. I have seen people getting remarkably upset about the various happenings in Homestuck- to the point of claiming they'll quit the comic, etc etc...

I dunno, I guess it's my problem, since I can't get into the comic as much as some other people.
    Oh trust me, as an MLP fan and friend of a lot of people who are fans of both Harry Potter and Game of Thrones, this type of fan behavior is by no means limited to Homestuck. The level of interaction between the comic, Hussie, and the fans themselves may play that up a bit more in this particular fandom than most others, though I'm really not sure.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with you.

this is bull of the highest degree. if Aranea is manipulating Hussie to change the story to make it Just, my opinion of her just plummeted to "complete monster" if Hussie isn't, then my opinion of Hussie (both real and imagined) just plummeted to complete monster, because I liked Jade, and I don't think I'll read Homestuck anymore if this sticks.
    Can I have your stuff?
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly don't think the fandom has realized that 80% of Homestuck is Hussie trolling them, and the other 20% is whatever crazy **** has most recently popped into his head.

I mean, this is entirely par for the course.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2013-09-14 at 07:23 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

18. - Top - End - #918
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some people are just passionate about the stuff they like. And when you have as large a fanbase as Homestuck, passion resonates and creates stronger passion. Plus, Homestuck has a history of being somewhat rewarding to people who pay close attention with all that foreshadowing.

(Of course, some people would say his propensity of killing people off and brining them back isn't rewarding - but I'm talking narrative wise )
    "You think you have won, do you? You are mistaken! I will not be defeated! I will destroy EVERYTHING and you BOTH will die! I hold the prophecy stone in my hands. When it breaks the DARK DRAGON will rise to destroy ALL of Silmaria. You cannot stop me. NO ONE can stop me. I AM YOUR DOOM!" - QFG V

I would be very grateful for any feedback on the homebrewed stuff I've created:
    The Warp Walker, The Glorious Berserker

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, I used to be like this. I was really into the comic, jamming f5 before I had an RSS feed, and after that, waiting patiently each day for an update and dropping everything to read it. Then...I don't know. Something happened, I can't pinpoint it, and would rather not start any kind of argument or debate about what the comic has become or what it no longer is, nor whether it has actually changed since the beginning.

I'm just not into it anymore. I've stopped drawing homestuck characters, stopped shipping (something I'd never done before homestuck, and something I'll probably never do again), and pretty much have withdrawn from really identifying with the comic. Anymore, I don't really care about the story, only the occasional joke or sbahj reference.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Honestly, I used to be like this. I was really into the comic, jamming f5 before I had an RSS feed, and after that, waiting patiently each day for an update and dropping everything to read it. Then...I don't know. Something happened, I can't pinpoint it, and would rather not start any kind of argument or debate about what the comic has become or what it no longer is, nor whether it has actually changed since the beginning.

I'm just not into it anymore. I've stopped drawing homestuck characters, stopped shipping (something I'd never done before homestuck, and something I'll probably never do again), and pretty much have withdrawn from really identifying with the comic. Anymore, I don't really care about the story, only the occasional joke or sbahj reference.
    Honestly, I kind of have to agree with you, and I'm not sure when it was, either. It was recently, I'm sure of it. I mean, I liked everything up until Cascade, definitely, so it was at some point in Act 6...

Also, incidentally, didn't that clock get all smashed up or something?

21. - Top - End - #921

PirateGuy

It's probably just burnout, I got the same thing around the middle of the troll arc, and didn't really get back into it until Hussie started answering fan questions like crazy again after he ditched Formspring.

It's natural when the thing you're following just keeps on updating, it's not like a TV show where you have season long breaks, with HS you either keep up with the schedule or you get left behind, and even the most diehard fan would find it hard to keep the same level of interest after that long a time frame.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Can I have your stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    I honestly don't think the fandom has realized that 80% of Homestuck is Hussie trolling them, and the other 20% is whatever crazy **** has most recently popped into his head.

I mean, this is entirely par for the course.
    Ok, You two? I've lost all respect for, and hate eternally.

because for some reason you seem to be trying to making light of what I consider serious, and there is little more in the world than I hate than that.

I know that say this will affect nothing, so if you go on making fun of me after this, I will know that your both not people I can respect at all, ever, because you think its all a joke, or something to analyze, or something to criticize, and you never ever actually allow yourself to feel. to actually react. you just view it through the layer of your stupid jokey semi-intelligent online persona that think just because its the internet that it means you don't take anything seriously.

well? bad news for you. I may like comedy, but I also like the serious stuff. I'm not a person for masks, purity or any little pseudo-deception you learn through whatever social norms you care to name. I'm taking this seriously, if you go on ridiculing me through more jokes right now, then clearly, you don't deserve my respect. I probably even know what bad jokes you will make in advance, that weren't even funny the first time.

23. - Top - End - #923

ElfMonkGuy

The only thing that comes into mind for me when people say they're quitting Homestuck is that Hussie has stated that Homestuck is meant to be read archivally (that is, after the whole thing's been done). I have enough trust in the story that it's going to come to a satisfying conclusion and that rereading it once it's finished will make a lot of things that were outrageous when they happened seem much milder with context.

24. - Top - End - #924

PirateGuy

because for some reason you seem to be trying to making light of what I consider serious, and there is little more in the world than I hate than that.

I know that say this will affect nothing, so if you go on making fun of me after this, I will know that your both not people I can respect at all, ever, because you think its all a joke, or something to analyze, or something to criticize, and you never ever actually allow yourself to feel. to actually react. you just view it through the layer of your stupid jokey semi-intelligent online persona that think just because its the internet that it means you don't take anything seriously.

well? bad news for you. I may like comedy, but I also like the serious stuff. I'm not a person for masks, purity or any little pseudo-deception you learn through whatever social norms you care to name. I'm taking this seriously, if you go on ridiculing me through more jokes right now, then clearly, you don't deserve my respect. I probably even know what bad jokes you will make in advance, that weren't even funny the first time.
    Okay I'm sorry but if you're taking a plot twist, which may very well be "fixed" very soon, this seriously then you're either pubescent or just plain doing the internet wrong. Seriously, it's a webcomic featuring 3-5 different kinds of aliens, an author that's inserted himself into the narrative, and just recently followed up the death of a character with a SBaHJ reference.

It's fine to take things you enjoy seriously to an extent, I even consider myself to be an amateur analyst of fandom and the things I'm a fan of. But assuming that since people are merely poking fun at your reactions that it's meant to be a personal attack on you, is not only pretty self assuming on your part, but it's also pretty rude when everyone else just wants to have a good time.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

It's probably just burnout, I got the same thing around the middle of the troll arc, and didn't really get back into it until Hussie started answering fan questions like crazy again after he ditched Formspring.

It's natural when the thing you're following just keeps on updating, it's not like a TV show where you have season long breaks, with HS you either keep up with the schedule or you get left behind, and even the most diehard fan would find it hard to keep the same level of interest after that long a time frame.
    Nah, I wish it were that. I mean, I still love acts 1-5. All of it, in fact. I've gone back and reread it several times, and that's no small task.

It's just... I think it's that nothing that happens in the comic makes sense anymore, from an internal standpoint. I think this past A6A6 is the worst offender, really- Caliborn manages to break out of the story and affect the plot, in an actual, meaningful way, and he messes with the cartridge, and all of a sudden, not only is the plot ****ed up and we don't know what's going on (AGAIN), but the comic's entire 4-year, 6000-comic history has changed, in ways that we aren't aware of, and Egbert is the only character that remembers how things actually went down? It's just... mean-spirited towards the readers, and not in a funny way. Sure, Disc 2 was similar, but at least then, we still had some clue what was going on, and there was no massive retcon device involved.

Oh, and also, I'm already sick to death of Aranea. Bring back Karkat as a main character. I like Karkat. Or Gamzee. Or Terezi, before she had that fling with the clown and got all whiny. Or Rose, before she became a BLUH BLUH HUGE LUSH. Or Dave, when he was cool and liked his time travel. Or Jade, before she went from cool main character to crappy villain. Or, hell, even Vriska. I liked that psycho bitch.

Or Jack and PM. Why the hell aren't they there yet? They weren't that far behind the asteroid.

And on top of all of that, it's not even funny anymore! Seriously, the last thing I really remember laughing at was A6A5A2.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2013-09-14 at 11:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack and PM will be back in exactly a little more than 3 hours (3.14 hours would be my guess), along with Dirk, Jack English and Spades Slick.

As for things not making sense anymore on an internal standpoint: That's kind of what Homestuck is. To quote Andrew Hussie :
    "The thing is, Homestuck is both a story and a puzzle, by design and by definition. If asked to define it, “a story that’s also a puzzle” is as close to true as any answer I’d give."
    I'm sure that it'll all be made clear in the end.

The close up of peoples mouths thing is kind of weird, though. This seems like it's going to be a very short lived running gag, kind of like the "where are your pants?" (That was 3 times in about 10 days, I think). Has he ever done something like that before? I haven't noticed if he has.
    Someone should keep a tally of how many mouth closeup's he's done.

Also: Remember back when this happened:
    uu: NO YOU [REDACTED] MORON.
    uu: IF I STOOPED TO YOUR LEVEL. AND DECIDED TO JACK *ANY* PORTION OF YOUR SWAGGER.
    uu: DON'T YOU THINK. YOU'D NEED TO EARN MY RESPECT FIRST???
    Well, I think Jake's earned some of Caliborn's respect by now.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

It's still likely that he wouldn't be able to fight against the Hope Field Jake's emitting. The Red Miles might have had some effect, but given the massive powerup going on here even that might not have had the desired effect.

Also we'd need to keep in mind that Jack would likely want to go after the strongest opponent possible, he's looking for a fight, remember? As such, while he might go after Aranea at first (which, as stated by the Spidertroll herself, wouldn't stop Jake), his attention would quickly be drawn to the big ball of white hopey light that's spawning angels and emitting great big old person talk.
    I don't know. Jack's smarter than he seems. Remember, he put off fighting Vriska until he killed all her friends, and he did retreat from the B1 session when he realized it was being destroyed by the Red Miles rather than trying to fight them.

I don't think he'd see Jake as a "fight" so much as a "natural disaster", anyway. It can be fun to stab people, but what's the point in standing there getting blasted by an explosion of light? He also doesn't actually usually use his power like a cudgel all the time the way Jade tried to -- he usually prefers to get up close and stab people. If he couldn't do that to Jake, he might back off and wait until Jake has finished powering up so they can fight properly.

(But yes, there's also the Red Miles, which are another power Jack has that Jade doesn't.)

28. - Top - End - #928
    Troll in the Playground

I, uh... hadn't read your post, to be honest? I was not addressing you at all, much less mocking you, it was just a general observation on people flipping their lids about this, of which there are many.

Nevertheless, I have won an eternal hatred! That's like winning an Internet cookie, but the flavor is spicier.
    Eternal hatred? Seriously? Well, now I'm making light of your struggles. =P
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2013-09-15 at 12:31 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    As for things not making sense anymore on an internal standpoint: That's kind of what Homestuck is..
    No, no, see, that's the thing. It was a story and a puzzle, but it made sense, at least internally. Before recently, yeah, it was a story and a puzzle, but now it's more like a story and a puzzle with half of the pieces missing. And several pieces that look similar but don't fit with the rest mixed in, but you aren't sure which or how many.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Nah, I wish it were that. I mean, I still love acts 1-5. All of it, in fact. I've gone back and reread it several times, and that's no small task.
    I think it was pretty much the whole '3 year pause' thing that did it for me. We got all the heroes pretty much in one place and the original 4 kids ascended to god tier...and then nothing happened. It pretty much killed the tension and build-up that Cascade gave us and we're only just now getting back to it.