New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Sencardia

Bax must not have won the lottery in his family for the brains department, that's for sure. Or maybe the luck, but I think it's the former.

Of course, whether the man's life really is saved depends on if there ever ends up being a cure. Entirely possible that doesn't happen.

"Errr... I don't think Graciousness would be the right word..." Reinholdt says rubbing the back of his neck.

"I've been Treasure Hunting a long time." He replies to Leandre and Deveric. "Could use some more utility based treasures over the plethora of weapons I've got admittedly..." But Reinholdt improvises when he can, such as just then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Bax must not have won the lottery in his family for the brains department, that's for sure. Or maybe the luck, but I think it's the former.

Of course, whether the man's life really is saved depends on if there ever ends up being a cure. Entirely possible that doesn't happen.

"Errr... I don't think Graciousness would be the right word..." Reinholdt says rubbing the back of his neck.

"I've been Treasure Hunting a long time." He replies to Leandre and Deveric. "Could use some more utility based treasures over the plethora of weapons I've got admittedly..." But Reinholdt improvises when he can, such as just then.
    No, it's definitely the brains. Let's just say that he doesn't exactly come from a family of physicists. But hey, an indentured servant can be useful even without intelligence, right?

The celebrators ignore Reinholdt's protestations and continue on in their lighthearted state of mind. Rum gets passed around from person to person, because after all, what sort of sailor celebrates without drink? It seems like sailors will find any excuse they can to down an ale.

"Ah, and modest too! What a good sort of fellow we have here!" heartily yells one of the men.

He bends down to Reinholdt's level and pets him on the head, probably irritating him if he has any sense of personal space. At least he's invading it in a friendly manner. He'll then join the others.

"If function is what you're looking for I know a place or two we can search. Speaking of items, are there anymore useful ones you have hidden away that I should know about?"
    Last edited by Time for Never; 2013-01-12 at 06:59 PM.
    Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself. - Bernard Shaw

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - Bernard Shaw

Nexus FFRP Characters

My excellent avatars were created by Kymme and Herpestidae

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well of course, but we'd never get anything done if I sat here and spent the day listing them all."

His player keeps a word document on all his Nexus characters' stuff, originally started purely for Squeaky Shoes Man, seller of oddities (and literal oddities only). The entire thing is currently 20 pages long, 8 of which belong to Reinholdt alone. Bullet points maybe, but still. Every once in a while I get him in a fight just to lose items so I can mark them out and not go quite so insane keeping track of it all.

Hasn't worked yet.

Anyways, Reinholdt doesn't like the uncomfortable invasion of personal space, but deals with it before suggesting they get a move on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

"Well of course, but we'd never get anything done if I sat here and spent the day listing them all."

His player keeps a word document on all his Nexus characters' stuff, originally started purely for Squeaky Shoes Man, seller of oddities (and literal oddities only). The entire thing is currently 20 pages long, 8 of which belong to Reinholdt alone. Bullet points maybe, but still. Every once in a while I get him in a fight just to lose items so I can mark them out and not go quite so insane keeping track of it all.

Hasn't worked yet.

Anyways, Reinholdt doesn't like the uncomfortable invasion of personal space, but deals with it before suggesting they get a move on.
    ((Could you give me a link to Reinholdt's backstory out of curiosity? I tried looking for it earlier today but the post had unfortunately been "snipped due to copyright"))

Deveric raises an eyebrow at that announcement. He wondered how many assets that cat had? Everybody has secrets though! Well most people anyway.

"Ah right. Treasure hunter and whatnot. Well as long as you keep using those to our benefit, I have no objection."

"It seems like your partner will have your back."

"Here's hoping."

Now was a good time to go before some other problem decided to rear its ugly head. Deveric began to say his goodbyes to a handful of men that he had become acquainted with over the last week. While the bubble is still up he decides to take off his mask for a quick drink of crimson grape wine. Hey, that stuff is good, okay? When all finished he makes to say farewell to Leandre. Who knows how long it'll be before they encounter each other again? Before Deveric gets a chance to say anything Leandre speaks up.

"I suppose this is goodbye, huh?" There's a mix of emotion in his voice. Part of his tone said that he feels pensive for him to go while another part told of his objection of his friend's earlier suggestion to let Bax die.

"For the time being, yes. We'll come across each other again at some point though I'm sure." Deveric spoke with genuine reciprocation.

"I sure hope so. It was nice having extra backup when attacked by those pirates."

"You'll be fine. You can handle yourself better than most captains I know. Anyways we should be going afore this turns into one of those uncomfortable sentimental moments. Never cared much for those."

"Hahaha, I can say that I agree with you there for once. Goodbye Deveric and Reinholdt. Until next time."

And with that they're off. Unless Reinholdt is craving that rum of course.
    Last edited by Time for Never; 2013-01-12 at 12:26 AM.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - Bernard Shaw

Nexus FFRP Characters

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. I thought I removed all links to that post.
    *fixes*
    His character sheet is terribly out of date.

Reinholdt likes rum, but he likes treasure more. Besides, it's one thing to drink yourself drunk every night while waiting to get somewhere.

"Goodbye Captain. Stay safe." Rein says before turning to leave with Deveric. After a little bit, he'll speak again. "So, you two have a history, huh? Dare I even use the term bromance?" It's a terrible term that doesn't belong in this setting Rein. No you can't use it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Huh. I thought I removed all links to that post.
    *fixes*
    His character sheet is terribly out of date.

Reinholdt likes rum, but he likes treasure more. Besides, it's one thing to drink yourself drunk every night while waiting to get somewhere.

"Goodbye Captain. Stay safe." Rein says before turning to leave with Deveric. After a little bit, he'll speak again. "So, you two have a history, huh? Dare I even use the term bromance?" It's a terrible term that doesn't belong in this setting Rein. No you can't use it.
    Deveric puts on his mask once more and starts to walk with Reinholdt to Ferdand Town. They pass more men who are garbed in total black, indicating their affiliation with the Plague Hunter faction. A few merchants try to grab their attention as they walk down the road with no success. The occasional adventurers can be seen swapping stories with one another.

"Yes. We have known each other for some years, going back to before he was even an apprentice sailor. I could tell that he would lead a successful career the first time I met him."

Rats scurry here and there off the main road, searching for any scraps of food they can get their paws on. In fact they appear to be the only animal thriving down here. No cats, dogs, or birds, can be seen in Ferdand. In the sky a bleak sun barely shines through permanently grey clouds. The pale light that happens to shine in Venreth gives off small amounts of warmth. At least there wasn't any fog. Yet.

"I believe he was about 19 when we first ran into each other. The people that I work for had given me an assignment to protect a person of vital importance. He was apparently in danger of being killed. As it turns out that person would be a Viceroy and Leandre's brother. Over the next few months I became good friends with Leandre despite not always seeing eye to eye on matters. After I finished my assignment and he had become a captain I began to use him as a means of transportation from Sencardia to Venreth."

Deveric quietens after finishing explaining.

"And what about you? Where do you come from?"

Nexus FFRP Characters

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"Like you, another dimension, though one where a kingdom of cats with opposable thumbs used to be. I... got out while the getting was good and never went back." Reinholdt explains without doing much explaining at all.

"Why is that rats are still around and not anything else? Has anyone looked into them for a cure?" Subject change attempt go!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

"Like you, another dimension, though one where a kingdom of cats with opposable thumbs used to be. I... got out while the getting was good and never went back." Reinholdt explains without doing much explaining at all.

"Why is that rats are still around and not anything else? Has anyone looked into them for a cure?" Subject change attempt go!
    "Everything else died. For one reason or another, rats are immune to the effects of the plague. Researches back in Sencardia are studying why this is, as we speak. The most popular theories right now revolve around religious reasons, saying that the rats are minions of demons and were made as carriers. I believe that's rubbish myself, but there you go."

Reinholdt wasn't going to get off that easily though. Deveric can tell when someone is trying to deflect a conversation and he could tell the cat was doing just that. While he walks, Deveric faces straight ahead the whole time. He'd know when they were walking into danger.

"Why leave if things were in your favor? It must have been uncomfortable leaving the only world you had known."
    Last edited by Time for Never; 2013-01-12 at 03:31 PM.

Nexus FFRP Characters

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Reinholdt snorts. "Who said anything was going in my favor?"

"It wasn't terribly hard actually. I found I quite took to moving from place to place. I haven't really settled all that much." Even staying at GLoG as long as he has, he's often out and about frequently.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Reinholdt snorts. "Who said anything was going in my favor?"

"It wasn't terribly hard actually. I found I quite took to moving from place to place. I haven't really settled all that much." Even staying at GLoG as long as he has, he's often out and about frequently.
    "Is that so? And why did you feel the need to leave in the first place? It sounds like to me that it was for more than a change in scenery."

They'll continue walking unhindered while on the cobbled road. Aside from seeing the random wanderer, they're on their own.
    Last edited by Time for Never; 2013-01-12 at 07:02 PM.

Nexus FFRP Characters

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"Cause things weren't going in my favor."
    Obviously.

"How far do we have to go here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

"Cause things weren't going in my favor."
    Obviously.

"How far do we have to go here?"
    "To answer your question, we have about 10 miles before reaching our destination."

Deveric glances sideways at Reinholdt. This would be like prying teeth.

"You can trust me, Reinholdt. Whatever the reason is for fleeing your homeworld is, I can assure you that I have no stake in it. I'm simply trying to satisfy my own curiosity."

Nexus FFRP Characters

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

"Curiosity gets cats killed. I'm a cat. Stop trying to kill me."

It's just not nice trying to kill cats!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

"Curiosity gets cats killed. I'm a cat. Stop trying to kill me."

It's just not nice trying to kill cats!
    Deveric smiles. It'll take time but he'll open up eventually.

"If I was trying to kill you I wouldn't go about it so passive-aggressively."

Even though it looked grim outside the weather was still nice. The temperature was in the high 50's and a nice little breeze would periodically blow through as if to assure them that it wasn't all death and decay down there. No adventurer had past them for about 20 minutes now, indicating their progress away from the outpost. Barren trees can be seen on the horizon.

"Do you have a speed acceleration wand by any chance?"
    Last edited by Time for Never; 2013-01-13 at 12:45 AM.

Nexus FFRP Characters

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have a time manipulation watch and a thing for screwing with time and space. I keep stealing sandwiches from my future self, but otherwise avoid using the latter." The watch is safer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

"I have a time manipulation watch and a thing for screwing with time and space. I keep stealing sandwiches from my future self, but otherwise avoid using the latter." The watch is safer.
    "Excellent. In that case I plan on using a spell to increase my speed, but it takes energy. If you use that watch of yours then I can save myself some effort."

Nexus FFRP Characters

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

"In a rush? Shouldn't we save our energy in case we run into anything nasty?" Reinholdt asks, taking out the watch all the same.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

"In a rush? Shouldn't we save our energy in case we run into anything nasty?" Reinholdt asks, taking out the watch all the same.
    "Unfortunately I am in a bit of a haste. Once we arrive in Umalar and I see to a personal matter, we'll have all the time in the world. I'd just prefer to get there sooner than latter is all. As far as danger is concerned: don't be. The chances of us running into trouble outside the cities are slim. That's where the undead dwell for the most part."

Nexus FFRP Characters

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh sure. You had to mention the odds. It's practically guaranteed now." Way to go Deveric.

"But I get it. I can go up to three times my speed with the watch, though I can fly faster than I walk too." Reinholdt says, trying to get an estimate on how fast Deveric intended to go.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

"Oh sure. You had to mention the odds. It's practically guaranteed now." Way to go Deveric.

"But I get it. I can go up to three times my speed with the watch, though I can fly faster than I walk too." Reinholdt says, trying to get an estimate on how fast Deveric intended to go.
    Are you accusing me of plot-related foreshadowing through ironic dialogue? Why I'd never!

"I've been down here enough times to know where the danger lies. And that would be in the settlements, not in the middle of rolling hills and plains."

As noted, the duo have been transversing through open fields for about a half hour now. Aside from the dying and dispersed trees there isn't much in the way of shrubbery. Not even a flower can be seen amongst the the grass. At the very least they had gotten away from the disgusting rodents.

"That's a fine pace. I can go much faster if need be but there's no point of using maximum capability. Do what you can and I'll match you."

Nexus FFRP Characters

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Doooooomed.

"K." Reinhold says, turning fully pink and flying along. He's pretty zippy when he flies, so when he ups his watch to 2.5 times normal, it's close to making a nifty streak. Can't go much faster than that though, or natural forces will tear him apart, something the watch doesn't do anything about.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Doooooomed.

"K." Reinhold says, turning fully pink and flying along. He's pretty zippy when he flies, so when he ups his watch to 2.5 times normal, it's close to making a nifty streak. Can't go much faster than that though, or natural forces will tear him apart, something the watch doesn't do anything about.
    You need to be more optimistic! Actually no, you're probably safe in being skeptical.

Deveric accommodates Reinholdt's alteration by spinning his scythe a couple of times. He is now moving at roughly the same speed and continues to lead Reinholdt along the worn down road. The landscape starts to blur around them as they move forward. When about an hour had passed they will begin to see a few broken scouting towers on several large hills. Farm houses also lie across the landscape, fallen into disuse. Once they approach a bit further Deveric will revert back to his normal state of movement and motion for Rein to do the same.

"Umalar lay just beyond those towers over there. Our best bet would be to use them to our advantage and scout out the city before entering."

Nexus FFRP Characters

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"Where in the city are we heading exactly?" Reinholdt asks after slowing down to appropriate speeds and taking a few moments to recover as well as examine the area indicated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

"Where in the city are we heading exactly?" Reinholdt asks after slowing down to appropriate speeds and taking a few moments to recover as well as examine the area indicated.
    "We're on the southern border. Where we want to go is to the north-eastern most part. If you climb one of the towers it should be possible to spot a very large cathedral rising up over even the tallest buildings."

Nexus FFRP Characters

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

"And we want to get to the Cathedral? So what are we scouting for?" Certainly not which direction it's in. Probably threats of the kill you and eat you fashion.

All the same, Reinholdt starts moving towards the towers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

"And we want to get to the Cathedral? So what are we scouting for?" Certainly not which direction it's in. Probably threats of the kill you and eat you fashion.

All the same, Reinholdt starts moving towards the towers.
    "That is one of the places I plan on going to, yes. What we're scouting for though are signs of possible necromancy."

Deveric points to the tower nearest them on the peak of a hill. It's fairly high standing at about 150 feet tall.

"We'll use that one there. Get to the top of the tower and look out for any possible undead stalking the streets."

Nexus FFRP Characters

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm... alright." Reinholdt says with a slight shudder. He hates undead.

But he enters into stealth approach mode. It'd be more effective if he could be a cat, but the requirement of the mask prevents that. Still, he's pretty good at stealth, if the pink, pupiless eyes, the shimmering scarf, or the rustling of gear doesn't give him away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

"Hmm... alright." Reinholdt says with a slight shudder. He hates undead.

But he enters into stealth approach mode. It'd be more effective if he could be a cat, but the requirement of the mask prevents that. Still, he's pretty good at stealth, if the pink, pupiless eyes, the shimmering scarf, or the rustling of gear doesn't give him away.
    At this point it would be important to mention that if a person has to remove their mask for a couple of seconds they won't exactly die. Don't expect to go walking around for 10 minutes without it on however. Deveric will follow behind Reinholdt and enter when it's all clear. It would be better to approach with subtlety, which is why he lets him enter first, but he would be there to backup Reinholdt if things got heated.

When the pink-eyed man gets close enough to the building he will notice that the door is slightly ajar, allowing passage into it. A musky smell comes from within the entrance.

"You seem like a person more suited for reconnaissance and stealth roles more than I, so I'll wait on the first floor for your signal before following. The inside will include a layout of a spiral staircase winding up to the top with seven or so floors along the way. Don't hesitate to ask for assistance if you need it."
    Last edited by Time for Never; 2013-02-12 at 01:02 AM.

Nexus FFRP Characters

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

"So shout if I'm in trouble. Gotcha."

Hmm... probably don't want to use the rifle here though. Something quieter would be better. He swaps out for a crossbow from his holding area of many things and checks it real quick to make sure it's loaded. It's a nice one that has an infinite ammo cheat and reloads itself, though if the bolts ever get destroyed, they're gone forever and there's a limited number that way.

Reinholdt will go to gently push the door open with one hand, holding the weapon ready with the other and sweeping the corners, checking the area.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

"So shout if I'm in trouble. Gotcha."

Hmm... probably don't want to use the rifle here though. Something quieter would be better. He swaps out for a crossbow from his holding area of many things and checks it real quick to make sure it's loaded. It's a nice one that has an infinite ammo cheat and reloads itself, though if the bolts ever get destroyed, they're gone forever and there's a limited number that way.

Reinholdt will go to gently push the door open with one hand, holding the weapon ready with the other and sweeping the corners, checking the area.
    Rifles don't exactly make for efficient stealth weapons, no . Crossbows on the other hand are always nice to have. Especially when they have infinite ammo and self-reloading capabilities!

Reinholdt won't see any hostiles occupying the bottom floor. Instead he is greeted by a chair and desk with a vile of ink and quill on it. A few weapons lay on the ground clearly beyond much use. There are torches long burned out held on the walls by clasps. The winding staircase is positioned in the center of the room. A pile of bones sits in one of the far corners, showing signs of being once a soldier of some sort.

Nexus FFRP Characters