New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XIV: A Lightning Arc in All But Speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    The thing with Tolkein is that unlike a lot of modern writers, he had the discipline to keep an early character to his part of the tale and not keep shoehorning him in again and again later on. Bombadil is exceedingly relevant to how many things came out. It's simply that all his cameos came very early in the story.
    The general complaint is that Bombadil is entirely capable of just smashing the ring and solving the plotline partway through book one.
    ...but I'm just parroting.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    The general complaint is that Bombadil is entirely capable of just smashing the ring and solving the plotline partway through book one.
    ...but I'm just parroting.
    Technically the Ring could be destroyed in two circumstances: It could be dumped in the fires of Mount Doom, where it was forged, or in any comparable heat source, and it could be destroyed by anyone who was better at forging than Sauron (Which is kind of a tall order, given Sauron's position in the Ardan pantheon). Does Tom Bombadil claim access to either one of these, or is that inference and realization from readers of the Silmarillion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

oh god you're asking for details

I would assume the latter?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

oh god you're asking for details

I would assume the latter?
    OK... You see how that puts me and others who've put down the Silmarillion at a disadvantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

As I said, I'm just parroting what I heard from people who know the canon better than I.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It explicitly states in the Lord of the Rings that Bombadil is not capable of destroying the Ring. Gandalf says of Bombadil during the Council of Elrond:

"He cannot alter the Ring itself, nor break the power it has over others."

So, whoever you've been listening to who's telling you that Bombadil could have just destroyed the thing, ask them why Gandalf says that if it's not true!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

I'm probably remembering it wrong.

8. - Top - End - #218

I'm probably remembering it wrong.
    What you are probably remembering is elrond or gandalf saying the ring has no power over him. He could hold it, wear it, and never be harmed by its corruption. Unfortunately, they couldnt trust him to keep and protect it. He doesnt have the temperament to guard something forever.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

I expect you're right.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    What you are probably remembering is elrond or gandalf saying the ring has no power over him. He could hold it, wear it, and never be harmed by its corruption. Unfortunately, they couldnt trust him to keep and protect it. He doesnt have the temperament to guard something forever.
    That was part of it. The other part was that nothing would stand in Sauron's way that long.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    That was part of it. The other part was that nothing would stand in Sauron's way that long.
    'Long' is relative. Gandalf said that even if they could get Tom to guard the Ring, Sauron would simply conquer everyone and everything else and then Tom himself would fall, Last as he was First. That much conquest could take decades. But in the end, Sauron's victory was assured unless the Ring was destroyed.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

True, and while we dont get a 50 page thesis on who or what he is, we DO learn bits and pieces, enough to understand him as more than just some random minstrel that can boss around trees at least. The Entwives however, all we know is they are gone and we dont know what happened to them. I think its implied they are still around, but the ents have forgotten where they were, what they looked like, and have no clue on what they could do to find them. For all we know they could be giant earth golems, trees with boobs, or hobbit chicks. We just dont KNOW!
    We also do not know where hobbits come from. Entwives love gardens. So do hobbits. Coincidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Hobbits are what happens when a dwarf gives an elf a very special hug.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

So Higgs is the Incarnation of Spark?

However, it does seem to me that eventually, in the fullness of time, Higgs' nature will be important enough to the story to reveal.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Mechanicsburg is transforming into a giant mecha. That's my prediction right here and now.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Mechanicsburg is transforming into a giant mecha. That's my prediction right here and now.
    My tower will be the drill that pierces the heavens?

17. - Top - End - #227

BlackDragon

Whatever it is, it's going to have to be something pretty special in order to take down the attacking forces--nothing the Castle has done since its repair would be very useful against the attacking airships, for instance. (Although I wonder what happened to the Torchmen? You'd think they'd be useful right about now, but no sign of them--did they all get destroyed attacking Castle Wulfenbach?).

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

You have it all wrong. The Empire is just the sideshow. Der Kestle just finished asking Zeetha if she'd like to see Higgs fight.

Now we get the real fight, Higgs v Kestle. My money is on Higgs (despite being a huge fan of Der Kestle).

Edit: Ok, I'll leave a small probability open that Higgs is the official city-Mecha pilot.
    Last edited by Xel; 2013-02-04 at 03:11 AM.
    ~Xel

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly. I like Tom, and I have two theories of what he is. One I have never heard anywhere else, but I standy by it (it's my own) and I have gotten a few "oh yeah!" reactions on Tolkien fansites for it:

1. He is Gaia, basically. This is an old one, and not my own theory.

2. He is Tolkien. And his wife is Goldberry. Seriously:
    Tolkien put himself into Beren, and his wife into Luthien. But that was the romantic side of their love.

Tom was a character that Tolkien invented for his kids at a young age. He is also very similar to Tolkien in a lot of ways, which would make sense then. He loves nature, stays away from the modern (industrial) world etc etc. My guess is that Tom and Goldberry basically is the other side of the marriage, the down-to-earth every day part. This would also be why he is immune to the ring, and seemingly exists partly outside of Middle Earth...
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    We also do not know where hobbits come from. Entwives love gardens. So do hobbits. Coincidence?
    It was explained somewhere in Silmarillion, that they are more or less short humans.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

The hobbits or the entwives?
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

I recall the maintenance guy on Moloch's team saying Mechanicsburg could launch buildings like missiles if they had to. And there are all those airships just hanging in the air.

Hmmmm.

Don't see how that would enable Higgs to show off his fighting skills, though.

24. - Top - End - #234

Awesome mecha, crappy song. Seriously, I cant figure out what emotion it was trying to create. It didnt feel like awe, it was most certainly not some triumphal song, not a fear response, no despair, no hope, nothing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    The hobbits or the entwives?
    Hobbits obviously.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #236

Awesome mecha, crappy song. Seriously, I cant figure out what emotion it was trying to create. It didnt feel like awe, it was most certainly not some triumphal song, not a fear response, no despair, no hope, nothing.
    True. I thought the same. But there is a better one. A bit overused, but Also Sprach Zarathustra would fit to this scene.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Exactly. I like Tom, and I have two theories of what he is. One I have never heard anywhere else, but I standy by it (it's my own) and I have gotten a few "oh yeah!" reactions on Tolkien fansites for it:

Tolkien put himself into Beren, and his wife into Luthien. But that was the romantic side of their love.

Tom was a character that Tolkien invented for his kids at a young age. He is also very similar to Tolkien in a lot of ways, which would make sense then. He loves nature, stays away from the modern (industrial) world etc etc. My guess is that Tom and Goldberry basically is the other side of the marriage, the down-to-earth every day part. This would also be why he is immune to the ring, and seemingly exists partly outside of Middle Earth...
    Also explains why he doesn't do much in the story. Author avatars draw criticism when they do things.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. When he put the ring on, it did nothing to him because to him it's an imaginary object from the story he wrote. :D
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    Oh, that makes a lot more sense. When he put the ring on, it did nothing to him because to him it's an imaginary object from the story he wrote. :D
    Plus, as I said, Tolkien put him into the story not only in the first chapter(s), where the story was still "Hobbitish" (more childish), but really with no reason other than that he wanted him there; Tom was not connected to the Middle Earth mythos before that, he lived in his own set of stories that Tolkien told his kids.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

I feel a bit of context is in order.

Sharon Apple (the singer and the huge projected figure) is the galaxy's first and only virtual idol, who has just achieved sentience. Her first public act is to mesmerise everybody who's tuned into her first concert on Earth (ie, almost everybody on the planet), then takes control of the SDF-1, a space ark that carried humanity earlier in the Macross story and the most powerful war machine created by the Earth Federation.

Explaining it a bit further would involve diving into the (in)famous Macross love triangle, at which point it's just easier to tell you to go watch Macross Plus (which you should do anyway as the anime's excellent).

The overall theme at this point is awe, followed by an 'oh crap' moment for fans of the original series that recognise the SDF-1 and realise that the primary and secondary male leads are going to go up against the pinnacle of military hardware and firepower in prototype AVF interceptors.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2013-02-05 at 07:57 AM.