New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: My Little Pony LX: 60 Ponythreads? That's an Academy record!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Yes, but I like to think there ought to be things you can do to increase the odds. Like a clever description or the right title, or maybe the right image.
    As I recently started getting into mlp fanfics, I've generally just gone by description, and specifically a clear explanation of the premise so I can decide if it sounds interesting.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    KCaFO Comment--
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really? That was it? Huh... thought it would be more... out of the ordinary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, he did make a direct reference to Star Trek. Though it was rather understated. *shrug* I suppose that's what happens when you predict that a line will make the internet explode.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    As I recently started getting into mlp fanfics, I've generally just gone by description, and specifically a clear explanation of the premise so I can decide if it sounds interesting.
    The description is no doubt important. I always try to come up with one that will grab the interest of people, but I apparently haven't got the art down yet. I try to keep them short, to the point, and most of all something that will make people stop for a moment to think. If they just breeze through the description without seeing anything out of the ordinary, then they're likely to continue right on to the next story. Or at least so I've thought. It's a highway, you need to drop a great big road block in their face.

I suspect my most popular story got a lot of attention simply due to its image, so that too shouldn't be dismissed.

I know that on dA, the time of the day can be a factor, especially if you hope to hit the front page "most popular". I try never to submit art while the US is asleep. I assume it is much the same for FiMFiction and always try to make sure my stories appear on the front page when the US is awake, which is really hard because you can't really know when they're going to get around to accepting it, unlike dA where everything is visible immediately.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Bodily THROWING myself into Ponythread without reading what anybody else said to say that episode, Keep Calm and Flutter On, was suuuuuper cool and fun to watch! Yippee kay yay! ^_^

5. - Top - End - #125
    Spamalot in the Playground

Who needs an Alicorn Amulet when you have SCIENCE!
    Spoiler
    Show

Maybe I should start publishing clopfics after all. That seems to get tons of attention whether it's good or not.
    Ah, the eternal struggle of all of us artists/writers. Do we do what we like, or what gets the fame/money? I suppose my advice is if you don't plan to make any serious money off your creativity, just do what you like.
    If you want money, do what you like, but throw a bone to the other side of the fence as it were.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    New Episode
    Spoiler
    Show

So forgive me if you guys already noticed this, but remember how we were told to keep an ear out for DeLancie's big line? I was finally directed to where it was: 6:34 in the episode. (I would have linked to the time directly, but my computer was acting strange.)
    S3e10 Keep Calm and Flutter On
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was probably that or the "Well played, Fluttershy. Well played." at the end. To be honest, I've avoided spoilers so I'm not sure what exactly was supposed to be important about the line.

Well, this is rather disappointing. Doesn't look like my latest story is going to get all that much attention. And here I thought I had given it a rather attention-grabbing description and all, but it's off the front page now and barely any views.

I guess I still can't predict what stories will reach the featured box. My last two stories didn't get any big attention either. I had high hopes for the Butterfly Brouhaha, and my latest isn't too bad either I'm sure, but alas, they all just sort of drop off the front page in half an hour to languish in eternal obscurity.
    I really liked Butterfly Brouhaha, though.

I think it's a combination of ongoing stories (which are around longer and so get more views/fans) and using characters that are popular with the fandom. Some people will read any story starring Fluttershy or set in Fallout Equestria, while they skip over stories about background characters.

Other than that, I tend to focus on other stories of authors I like. I mean, I still haven't finished writing anything (>_>) so can't offer any first-hand advise.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Just finished Wonderbolts Academy!

It was really good and stuff.

Except I feel like Spitfire did I complete 180 from praising Lightning Dust to kicking her out. It felt abrupt and uncool to me. You can't support someone than change your mind in a snap like that! D:

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post

Except I feel like Spitfire did I complete 180 from praising Lightning Dust to kicking her out. It felt abrupt and uncool to me. You can't support someone than change your mind in a snap like that! D:
    Well, I thought Lightning Dust as Tragic Hero.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

I suspect my most popular story got a lot of attention simply due to its image, so that too shouldn't be dismissed.
    Past Sins got its initial fame through this. The popularity just snowballed from there on.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

well...just finished reading the final chapter of Earth & Sky
    quite good
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

So, slightly picking up on the our marketing conversations from a couple pages back. This, this right here, this is how you get into the category of "someone people like and want to pay." It's an interview with Ryan Lindsay, the author of an upcoming Rainbow Dash one-shot comic.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

It made sense to me. Spitfire only saw Lightning Dust's daring moves, not the dangerous ones. She was in her office when Lightning Dust created the tornado.

Either that or she's got a thing for Rainb.....never mind.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of Wonderbolts Academy, I had a thought that I don't think I've seen anywhere yet. Spitfire gave Dash wingpony because Dash doesn't push herself hard enough, right?

Well, we all remember the wonderful news reporting of the Foal Free Press, right?

Rainbow Dash sure does

Well, what if Spitfire's evaluation was actually colored by that article eventually making its way to Cloudsdale?
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-01-22 at 04:26 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, I thought Lightning Dust as Tragic Hero.
    She really, really wasn't.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, the eternal struggle of all of us artists/writers. Do we do what we like, or what gets the fame/money? I suppose my advice is if you don't plan to make any serious money off your creativity, just do what you like.
    If you want money, do what you like, but throw a bone to the other side of the fence as it were.
    I tend to do what I like, because I'm not exactly in this for the money yet, but I also try to do it well and do my best to get it noticed, because ... I like getting noticed, I like recognition, and I should do what I like

The real question with clopfics, I suppose, is whether you can do it well and then whether you have the guts to go ahead and publish it

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    I really liked Butterfly Brouhaha, though.

I think it's a combination of ongoing stories (which are around longer and so get more views/fans) and using characters that are popular with the fandom. Some people will read any story starring Fluttershy or set in Fallout Equestria, while they skip over stories about background characters.

Other than that, I tend to focus on other stories of authors I like. I mean, I still haven't finished writing anything (>_>) so can't offer any first-hand advise.
    Aye, longer stories naturally get attention with each chapter, although I think relatively speaking it's not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Past Sins got its initial fame through this. The popularity just snowballed from there on.
    Ah yes, I remember that picture, mostly because of Twilight about to get hanged. That made me sad, but the story was tagged "Normal" so it dragged you in. You wanted to know what happened.

Anyway, I got the impression Past Sins was massively publicized.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Spamalot in the Playground

It did seem a bit abrupt didn't it? Though, it isn't officially stated in the episode that Dust gets kicked out and I'd like to think she was demoted rather than getting the boot. It be quite a waste of talent (and a strange academy) if they're not willing to fix that one flaw and mold Dust into being more responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Well, we all remember the wonderful news reporting of the Foal Free Press, right? Well, what if Spitfire's evaluation was actually colored by that article eventually making its way to Cloudsdale?
    That certainly could be a possibility.
    I certainly think the Foal Free Press was partly at fault for Trixie's predicament just before Magic Duel.

The real question with clopfics, I suppose, is whether you can do it well and then whether you have the guts to go ahead and publish it
    Oooh, good question. I remember many years back I experimented in more adult art, but I did so under a different Username in case it didn't work out. To my surprise (and possibly horror) it was working out, but I decided not to pursue it further because it just didn't feel like "Me".
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-01-22 at 07:42 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

17. - Top - End - #137
    Colossus in the Playground

I tend to do what I like, because I'm not exactly in this for the money yet, but I also try to do it well and do my best to get it noticed, because ... I like getting noticed, I like recognition, and I should do what I like

Or if you publish it under an alias and constantly wonder if anyone will recognise your style and call you on it.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    She really, really wasn't.
    Isn't she? In a theatrical tragedy sense, the hero is usually somebody noble doing something bad and suffering greatly as a result. Yes, everything I know about English literature I learned from Crash Course. So feel free to correct me on anything I get wrong. I suppose she's not literally a noble, but she is a great flier and a WA cadet, and therefore should be held to a higher standard, therefore "noble". On the other hand, WA is not a tragedy, because half the cast does not die from ear poisoning and brother-stabbing because of her actions, but that's a minor counterpoint. The major argument against her being a tragic hero for me is: she isn't being tormented by the situation as it unfolds and doesn't have the screen-time to do so. Which means if thе narrative was centered around her without changing any of the plot, she would totally become a tragic hero.

Not so clear-cut as "really, really", is it now?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Colossus in the Playground

Click it.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Click it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow. Nice piece.
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fizmat View Post
    Isn't she? In a theatrical tragedy sense, the hero is usually somebody noble doing something bad and suffering greatly as a result. Yes, everything I know about English literature I learned from Crash Course. So feel free to correct me on anything I get wrong. I suppose she's not literally a noble, but she is a great flier and a WA cadet, and therefore should be held to a higher standard, therefore "noble". On the other hand, WA is not a tragedy, because half the cast does not die from ear poisoning and brother-stabbing because of her actions, but that's a minor counterpoint. The major argument against her being a tragic hero for me is: she isn't being tormented by the situation as it unfolds and doesn't have the screen-time to do so. Which means if thе narrative was centered around her without changing any of the plot, she would totally become a tragic hero.

Not so clear-cut as "really, really", is it now?
    The reason Lightning Dust isn't a tragic hero is that she does not inspire pity of and fear for herself in the audience, and that the action of her story does not allow the audience to transcend that (nonexistent) pity and fear for her. Social status, self-torment, and mass carnage is all window dressing. What makes a tragic hero is the relationship between audience, character, and action, and when it comes to Lightning Dust, that relationship is not there.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-01-22 at 08:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I just had an interesting idea for a fic involving:

Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Celestia/Luna and Rarity/Sweetie Bell. I picture it as somewhat of a follow up to The Sisterhoof Social in that it (hopefully) follows the evolution of sisterly relations between the two pairs and how Luna might empathize with Sweetie's position relative to Rarity (considering that Luna is still in the same place with Celestia, albeit with more responsibility).

Obviously this is a very rough plan that needs fleshing out (although i bet somepony has already written something similar to this, i mean, this IS the internet) and I don't even know if I'll be able to get around to it anytime soon.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Yana; 2013-01-22 at 08:36 AM.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

As someone with military background, Spitfire's behavior in Wonderbolt Academy wasn't out of place. There's a distinct behavior change between off-duty and on-duty.

Also as pointed out, Lightning Dust's fate is left rather ambiguous, more then likely she was simply demoted and dismissed to minor punishment like kitchen duties, skin them apples private!
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    The reason Lightning Dust isn't a tragic hero is that she does not inspire pity of and fear for herself in the audience, and that the action of her story does not allow the audience to transcend that (nonexistent) pity and fear for her. Social status, self-torment, and mass carnage is all window dressing. What makes a tragic hero is the relationship between audience, character, and action, and when it comes to Lightning Dust, that relationship is not there.
    See, this is a good argument. Yes, calling her a tragic hero of the story as shown in the episode is not right, and this is a better explanation of _why_ then my "not enough screen time of torment" imitation of analysis. I was just trying to get the discussion ball rolling past the "she is" vs "nuh-huh" phase.

I still think (if Lightning really got kicked out an not just demoted) that when/if she retells this episode of her life to her children, she'll be the tragic hero of _that_ story.
    Last edited by fizmat; 2013-01-22 at 08:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    I just had an interesting idea for a fic involving:

Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Celestia/Luna and Rarity/Sweetie Bell. I picture it as somewhat of a follow up to The Sisterhoof Social in that it (hopefully) follows the evolution of sisterly relations between the two pairs and how Luna might empathize with Sweetie's position relative to Rarity (considering that Luna is still in the same place with Celestia, albeit with more responsibility).

Obviously this is a very rough plan that needs fleshing out (although i bet somepony has already written something similar to this, i mean, this IS the internet) and I don't even know if I'll be able to get around to it anytime soon.

Thoughts?
    I'd read it. Mind, it would be somewhat difficult to set up; does Luna appear to Sweetie in a dream? Maybe Rarity gets a social gig at the palace and brings Sweetie along? How does Luna act towards the bright, vocal filly?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    As someone with military background, Spitfire's behavior in Wonderbolt Academy wasn't out of place. There's a distinct behavior change between off-duty and on-duty.

Also as pointed out, Lightning Dust's fate is left rather ambiguous, more then likely she was simply demoted and dismissed to minor punishment like kitchen duties, skin them apples private!
    Yeah though I'm not sure it was intended per say Lightning Dust violated the number one principle of military training: safety.

Especially safety of others.

What happened to Lightning Dust is more or less exactly what was supposed to happen under military discipline. Given in theory it should have been in Spitfire's office but we must make some allowances for a dramatic scene. A few words to Dash, a "my office, now!" for LD, and an announcement the next morning of switch ups in role for reasons not quite disclosed... well truer to life but not interesting television. And longer

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I'd read it. Mind, it would be somewhat difficult to set up; does Luna appear to Sweetie in a dream? Maybe Rarity gets a social gig at the palace and brings Sweetie along? How does Luna act towards the bright, vocal filly?
    Sweetie takes Luna under her wing, teaches her everything she knows and becomes like her big sister!

Celestia: I despise night! All that... urgh... darkness.
    Luna: Rarity is going with her little sister. But, you know, if you don't wanna spend time with me...
    Celestia: ... All right. Eternal night it is.

History of The Cutie Crusade
    Book III
    "Founding of The Canterlot Chapter"
    (probably apocryphal)

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, good question. I remember many years back I experimented in more adult art, but I did so under a different Username in case it didn't work out. To my surprise (and possibly horror) it was working out, but I decided not to pursue it further because it just didn't feel like "Me".
    I like to explore taboos and provoke people into questioning things, because people are all too quick with knee-jerk judgments. For example, whenever someone comments on my comic Together We Fly that these ponies are too young to make out, I always get an urge to write a really graphic story where they do much more than just kiss. I've resisted so far, but I do have an idea for a story about Sweetie Belle and Featherweight just waiting for me to break down and say "Screw what people think! I'll write or draw whatever the hay I think is interesting or fun! Doubly so if it makes people think."

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Or if you publish it under an alias and constantly wonder if anyone will recognise your style and call you on it.
    Aye. Personally I feel that would be defeating the purpose. If it's not in your name, it's not in your honor.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I will give an award of a to be determined number of internets to the funniest comment in response to this pic:

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I will give an award of a to be determined number of internets to the funniest comment in response to this pic:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Next time Sparkle... NEXT TIME!!!

In other news, I recieved my first fanart. What is this world coming to?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PhantomFox; 2013-01-22 at 11:32 AM.