New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Powerline adapters are the best thing ever

Well, except for sex, calamari and mochas made with real chocolate chips.

So I finally got fed up with my wi-fi that cuts out every 10 minutes and half the time doesn't work at all (even though the router is only 2 walls and 8 meters away), walked into my local NCIX and picked up a pair of powerline adapters.

And let me tell you, it's absolutely awesome! It's like plugging your computer directly into your router, except without doing that. Stuff actually downloads! It takes me less than 20 seconds to open a page! I don't have to use my phone's 4G if I have to quickly check something important...

... Yes, I get excited over useless gadgets. Woe, alas is the life of a tech geek. Sue me, in a completely figurative, absolutely non-legally binding way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Powerline adapters are the best thing ever

I known about these for a few years now, and I still don't get how they work. Absolutely, beautifully incomprehensible.

How do they work, anyway?
    Last edited by Grinner; 2013-01-17 at 09:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Well, except for sex, calamari and mochas made with real chocolate chips.
    That's a somewhat odd list of best things in the world...

But, I totally agree with it.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    How do they work, anyway?
    By transmitting a signal through the mains wiring in your house. It's fairly easy to separate out a high-frequency signal from the 50 (or 60, if you're USAian) Hz mains voltage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

So... This make computer go fasterer?

WHat if you have old tin ceilings or old wiring? Will it still work?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure how well they would work on older (specifically not copper or corroded) wiring, but I would imagine any power line that isn't a safety hazard would probably work fairly well.

I'm not sure how much those adapters run, but the other option is that you simply get a good wireless router and make sure you have a good wireless adapter on your computer as well. There are a lot of cheap routers around and they have issues, from poor signals to signals that look good but are slow or drop out occasionally.
    I fairly recently bought a new router and it has fixed all of the problems I was having with my previous ones. I've pretty much given up on Netgear and Belkin wireless products, routers especially. I know the router is Asus, I'm not sure about the wireless adapter, but I think it might be Asus as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post

Well...utilizing the latest in black sorcery, powerline adapters let you route a signal directly through your dwelling's powerlines (i.e. wall sockets) instead of relying on wireless routers, which aren't always reliable.

As long as you're getting electricity, I imagine that they will work.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2013-01-18 at 10:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

No. It might make the network connection between your computer and your Internet router go faster, though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    No. It might make the network connection between your computer and your Internet router go faster, though.
    Yhea, you need to download some extra ram to make your computer faster
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2013-01-18 at 03:19 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I'm not sure how much those adapters run, but the other option is that you simply get a good wireless router and make sure you have a good wireless adapter on your computer as well. There are a lot of cheap routers around and they have issues, from poor signals to signals that look good but are slow or drop out occasionally.
    I fairly recently bought a new router and it has fixed all of the problems I was having with my previous ones. I've pretty much given up on Netgear and Belkin wireless products, routers especially. I know the router is Asus, I'm not sure about the wireless adapter, but I think it might be Asus as well.
    Oh, I've used them before, but a much older and cheaper kit that came with my friend's XBox he let me borrow, and they were a breeze after I figured out to plug them directly into the wall, not through a power bar.

Wireless though? Believe me, I've tried everything. From my provider's DSL modem/router, to a couple of routers (including a pretty high end one in DIR-655 which I've used for the last while and still do as my actual router), to even a corporate Cisco one that I borrowed for a week (that took me about 20 hours to setup). They all completely and utterly sucked in my current room, the only explanation I have is something giving off really bad interference. Probably the other 20 wi-fi's that I'm detecting now and at least another 10 I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Yhea, you need to download some extra ram to make your computer faster
    Wait, you can actually download RAM?

Edit: I can't believe I fell for that.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2013-01-18 at 07:36 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    Wait, you can actually download RAM?
    Yes. Yes, you can.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Well...utilizing the latest in black sorcery, powerline adapters let you route a signal directly through your dwelling's powerlines (i.e. wall sockets) instead of relying on wireless routers, which aren't always reliable.
    ah, I knew it was something like that!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've heard people say that those things cause interference on the powergrid as a whole, so that if too many people use them, there would be problems with power cables and power stations, and sensitive equipment getting damaged.

Is there any truth to that?
    Yay!

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

There isn't enough power in one of these to cause problems via the power grid--heck, the total power draw of your computer alone is probably a hundred watts or more, whereas the signal these things put out would be a fraction of a watt at most. Mains cabling is not usually well-shielded for radio frequency interference, though, so you might get some interference that way; doubt it would be powerful enough to cause problems, though. (If it *were*, these devices would be banned!).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

No, he just had a really crappy internet connection and now has a different one.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Oh, I've used them before, but a much older and cheaper kit that came with my friend's XBox he let me borrow, and they were a breeze after I figured out to plug them directly into the wall, not through a power bar.

Wireless though? Believe me, I've tried everything. From my provider's DSL modem/router, to a couple of routers (including a pretty high end one in DIR-655 which I've used for the last while and still do as my actual router), to even a corporate Cisco one that I borrowed for a week (that took me about 20 hours to setup). They all completely and utterly sucked in my current room, the only explanation I have is something giving off really bad interference. Probably the other 20 wi-fi's that I'm detecting now and at least another 10 I'm not.
    Have you tried shifting the channel your wi-fi is on? Most people leave it on the default, so if you kick it up to 11 or 12 you'll get rid of most of the interference. I had a similar problem in my new apartment until I figured that out.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I'm not sure how well they would work on older (specifically not copper or corroded) wiring, but I would imagine any power line that isn't a safety hazard would probably work fairly well.
    Our wiring is subpar. Performance is noticably worse on powerline than ethernet. With a wired connection, I could stream some HD video to my PS3. With powerline, I get stuttering on some SD video (though not all thankfully). I think the speed tests put powerline about halfway between wired and wireless on my setup, but it's been a while since I tested.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.