New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Banned

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Heh.
    I've been sketching – I've got a quote strong visual flow for Marchande I need to get done with – but it's slow going getting my skills back up to snuff for it. I'll be around. Just, lightly.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Hi everypony! I forget if I posted in the first learn to draw thread, but I am back/here for the first time with some MLP stuff that I actually feel pretty good about (a first!). While writing a FiM fanfiction piece, I decided I wanted to give drawing the antagonists a try (since they're really the only non-canon characters involved). Though, almost all of the ponies I've drawn before were in profile/to the side and I wanted to break out of that, so this was a bit of an experiment!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The second feels somewhat flat to me, but then its body is supposed to be like a symbol/one of those crazy-shaped angels, rather than a creature that has things like organs and bones.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

3. - Top - End - #543
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Hi everypony! I forget if I posted in the first learn to draw thread, but I am back/here for the first time with some MLP stuff that I actually feel pretty good about (a first!). While writing a FiM fanfiction piece, I decided I wanted to give drawing the antagonists a try (since they're really the only non-canon characters involved). Though, almost all of the ponies I've drawn before were in profile/to the side and I wanted to break out of that, so this was a bit of an experiment!

Spoiler
    Show

Bigger thighs! Bigger butts! Longer legs! I do like the design though.

Spoiler
    Show

The second feels somewhat flat to me, but then its body is supposed to be like a symbol/one of those crazy-shaped angels, rather than a creature that has things like organs and bones.
    I feel like Celly and Luna's jowls are drooping? Also Celly's hair actually has star-sparkles in it like Luna's.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Bigger thighs! Bigger butts! Longer legs! I do like the design though.
    I am horrible with leg length, as they either look way too short and fat, or way too long and lanky. Even if I try to draw by hand, or measure or take directly from a pose, it still ends up like that. Weird I'm sure it'll get better as I draw more, though.

I feel like Celly and Luna's jowls are drooping? Also Celly's hair actually has star-sparkles in it like Luna's.
    I'm feeling that too, after doing more referencing. Also, how did I never notice both princesses' manes sparkle? *applies sparkle speckles* Totes fabu!

Updated First and Second
    Morning Star

5. - Top - End - #545

I am horrible with leg length, as they either look way too short and fat, or way too long and lanky. Even if I try to draw by hand, or measure or take directly from a pose, it still ends up like that. Weird I'm sure it'll get better as I draw more, though.
    R.E. Horse butts.

I think this guy draws amazingly curvy ponies. He's totally worth studying, even if just to get an idea of how to add a bit of bulk to your horse shapes.

I'm feeling that too, after doing more referencing. Also, how did I never notice both princesses' manes sparkle? *applies sparkle speckles* Totes fabu!

Updated First and Second
    what is a princess?

a miserable pile of sparkles

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Aie aie aie, been a long time since I uploaded, why below.

----

Days 363-4, 392-3:

Celestia and a burning city. Far from complete.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 365:

Hah another year one. P&P, ye olde mannequin. Drawn completely without reference, as it lives in a room in Germany that is no longer my own. Also pictured: a pony, half complete before I got interrupted.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 366:

Some misc fixes to the avatar. I like those things, since they're so small all the mistakes just disappear like magic.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 367-91:

Now see, this is where I've been. I had intended this to be about a week and a half project, and really, looking back, it probably should have been stopped at the sketch stage. Regardless, I found the scene in question rather inspiring (it's all the music link's fault), and figured the best way to do it would be in comic form. Never having really done anything comic-y before. Started off accidentally making a completely boneheaded decision and getting myself stuck in the morass that is the crowd scene. Persevered anyways, which is the main reason it took so long, and why there is really nothing in the way of shading (at least I remembered to crystallize Blue). The drawing came out ok, and I like the enclave armour (though White Noise is a bit masculine with the flatter nose IMO), but the text is kind of sh*t looking. Also kind of mixed style on the second page. It honestly did not occur to me to even look at another comic for reference until day 390, which in hindsight is pretty clear I should have, but oh well. Also, gave the ponies an arena, because no self respecting former raider town should be without a Thunderdome.
    Spoiler: The Champion p1
    Show
    Spoiler: The Champion p2
    Show

We now resume our usual schedule hopefully...
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-09-09 at 12:09 AM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

7. - Top - End - #547

Highway To The Danger Zone is one of the greatest things invented by humans.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, at least someone likes it (the comic I mean).

----

Days 394-7:

Meanwhile, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-09-11 at 09:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

I drew several sketchy little things in recent weeks that I am semi proud of.
    But you can't have them, drawthread.

However, my brain insisted this was done before I was allowed to sleep, so what you can have is a super sketchy picture of a pudgy pony.
    Spoiler: Chubbicorn
    Show

I'm not proud, but don't say I never contribute.
    EDIT - As no-one has posted since, have another Chubbicorn.
    Spoiler
    Show

My meager offerings are now half as meagre, roughly speaking. That's the same as progress!
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2014-09-12 at 09:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

However, my brain insisted this was done before I was allowed to sleep, so what you can have is a super sketchy picture of a pudgy pony.
    <snip>

<snippity>
    My meager offerings are now half as meagre, roughly speaking. That's the same as progress!
    Are those smiley faces in her(his?) eyes?

Cute!

Trying to get back into writing my fanfic, since I haven't made any progress on it at all ever since I took it down to edit it... so I started messing around with and fixing up the cover image, as I wasn't happy with it, either. Hopefully doing something involving it will kick me back into I-swear-I-can-write mode...

Spoiler: Cover Image, a bit big
    Show

It's based on this (as the fic is also based on the game from which that piece is from, Shin Megami Tensei IV).

It's also my first time drawing canon characters. Rarity's mane and tail took the longest (I hope I got them right ), though I keep loading the file up again and tweaking some things (like nostril size and horn position). I think it's on iteration "like 15 or something" now.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2014-09-17 at 11:25 PM.
    Morning Star

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

But why not? I'd like to see.

Spoiler: Chubbicorn
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Your contribution is welcome. The second one is obviously not impressed that no one posted so it had to be edited in.

Trying to get back into writing my fanfic, since I haven't made any progress on it at all ever since I took it down to edit it... so I started messing around with and fixing up the cover image, as I wasn't happy with it, either. Hopefully doing something involving it will kick me back into I-swear-I-can-write mode...

Spoiler: Cover Image, a bit big
    Show

It's based on this (as the fic is also based on the game from which that piece is from, Shin Megami Tensei IV).

It's also my first time drawing canon characters. Rarity's mane and tail took the longest (I hope I got them right ), though I keep loading the file up again and tweaking some things (like nostril size and horn position). I think it's on iteration "like 15 or something" now.
    Well, my first impression is that it is busy. There's an awful lot going on there. If you look at the source image, there is one guy who is very obviously the focus we are supposed to look at, everyone else looks like an image in the background. That is not the case here; I can't see anywhere my eyes are supposed to rest. It's also impossible to tell what exactly the story is about: Cadance is a ghost, the crystal heart is breaking slowly, but Rarity isn't concerned. AJ is cold. There's a bunch of strange OCs in the background (the lower left of whom is a seapony?!?), and for some reason two random chunks of stone (corrupted crystals?) framing at the front. What is important here? Basically I'd suggest trying to match your source there and differentiating better between what's important here and what isn't, or changing it up a bit and simplifying.

Other than that, you can probably do full circle outlines for the head of those ponies directly facing forward, they don't typically have that gap at the neck. And those at three quarters don't typically have that line coming down from the ear so far. Some of the arms are a little thin looking. I'd say your hair looks pretty good though, the angle on AJ's ponytail I haven't seen before.

Oh, there is part of Luna's neck and hair there I just saw. That's a little strange.

Overall it reminds me a bit of Deadly's II cover image, with the duelling sides.

----

Day 398:

Fun with scribbles. A fisherman from the right side of the brain.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 399:

I actually hadn't intended to do this wonderful propagandist pose when I started, but it came out ok. Thumb's a little small.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 400-4:

More Star Wars. This version is turning out strange, with Trixie as Palpatine, Luna as Anakin. Luke probably has to be TS. Celetia can be Obi Wan, Zecora Yoda. Gettin' carried away...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-09-18 at 01:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Are those smiley faces in her(his?) eyes?

Cute!
    Not intentionally. Cannot unsee.
    Also her. I usually make it a point that ponies default to female, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    But why not? I'd like to see.

Your contribution is welcome. The second one is obviously not impressed that no one posted so it had to be edited in.
    I was 95% asleep already when I posted that, I honestly am only vaguely sure what I was even referring to or why. That's also why the expression on the second. I was so tired that the only expression I could manage also turned out looking exhausted just because.

If I wrack my brains, the pictures that spring to mind that I could have been rambling about are ones I did relating to RP's I'm in. Both already posted elsewhere on the forums.
    You have Trees wrestling-inspired persona "Yellow Jacket"
    Spoiler: From the Tea Party Apocalypse
    Show

And my super powered mutant cheerleader from 60's San Francisco from a local game
    Spoiler: She goes by Moth because she loves Moths.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Once again I keep putting off uploading too long because it is an annoying process. Maybe I should investigate an automatic system.

----

Days 405, 406:

Not much to see here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 407-8:

Still not much, but I did like how I managed the hand.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 409-10:

A dragon clasp, or bracer or something. Was working to try and get some more 3D effect to the metal. I wanted to get a more complex pattern in there (especially scales for the dragon) but it made it too busy at the scale I was working at.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 411, 412-6:

One of those has image in head, can't translate to paper times. First sketch was completely scrapped (everything is a little off), and I didn't end up finishing the second since it was dragging on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 417:

A new WIP still at rough sketch stage. Pretty obvious what it is. Ideas for general improvement welcome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-09-30 at 09:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe you should just investigate Dropbox. Don't even need the app, I use the web interface on this tablet (because lots of stuff to synchronize, smallish HDD).

I wasn't productive at all lately, mostly because the tablet keeps spending time in laptop mode due to work.

Spoiler: Dropship from ER game
    Show

Spoiler: Dropship from ER game after crash
    Show

Spoiler: Interstellar transport from ER game
    Show

Spoiler: And a pair of quick Twilight sketches
    Show

Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

I quite like all four of those, the crashed ship the most.

Dropbox is a great idea actually; I never really considered it, since it was always a backup/storage service in my mind. Seven and a half GB later, I now also have an offsite backup too, so that's rather convenient. Now to see if the linking works...

EDIT: Doesn't look like it actually, hmmm...

EDIT2: Hah, got it working with little hack.

----

Day 419:

Testing colour fading, bright light.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 420:

Quick sketch of a dashing person.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 418, 421, 422:

Continuation of sketch from last post. Once I put down flat colours it really stood out that the arms were in a rather unnaturally stiff position, and I almost decided to discard the whole thing. I did end up thinking up a new pose though, just fixed the arms. We'll see if it lasts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-10-06 at 01:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Chubby sketch pony continues to be better than nothing.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Chubby sketch pony continues to be better than nothing.
    Show
    Whoa, what's up with that back leg there?

----

Day 422-5:

More continuation on sketch above, but left unfinished. This is where it got to.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 426-7, 429-32:

A lizardfolk hunter of some sort. Painting again. I took pictures a few times throughout since I didn't know when I would stop, so there is a bit of a progression here (well, beginning, right before end, and end, but at least it's some). Top half came out infinitely better than the bottom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Oh yeah day 428 is a pen and paper of a moose with a moustache I drew on the back of a receipt. I'll get around to uploading it at some point probably, its a pain.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-10-18 at 10:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

It's shoddily drawn? It's a very sketchy sketch, you know?
    EDIT - Hidden picture, sleepy thread.
    Spoiler: No explanation within
    Show
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2014-10-24 at 08:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

Dat White Noise duckface. I don't really know what's is going on there.

----

Day 433-5:

This was based on the comment in the Deadly's game OOC about ponies fighting sea monsters. Incomplete, because I had another idea and this one wasn't going anywhere fast.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 436-43:

The idea from above, inspired by a picture from one drawfriend or another. Octavia Homura. I think it matches quite well, and the picture came out pretty good. (Yay for actually remembering to use references for once!). Also got the face save one eyebrow perfect on the first sketch pass, made me quite happy. If I do another it will probably be Fluttershy Madoka.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 444-5

Two sketches for these days.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 446:

Had Ponyphonic's Harmony Ascendant on loop. Good drawing music.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 447:

Just a random doodle that turned into AJ and a big dragon (Spike?).
    Spoiler
    Show

Wow Dropbox, so much nicer for uploading.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-10-30 at 10:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Thanqol once ruled, if you recall, that if you ship it then you draw it. There was a time when it felt like there was a potential four way love-polyhedron going on.
    So that's what this started out as. The original layout survived and most of the posing, background got simplified because when I first started it I was on an upswing and feeling ambitious whereas I finished this up of an evening so I didn't have it hanging incomplete over my head indefinitely.

Pony's got redrawn from scratch, to the vague poses in the layout, all done in one night. Just kinda blasted it out however. They are of course standing on a precarious outcropping with mountains in the distance if the super sketchy background doesn't pop clearly enough to read. There is active love-polyhedron-ing going on. White Noise is tongue in cheek swagger and duckface, Blue is angry about whatever is actually going on and Trees and Rose stand in much closer proximity. In this version though, Trees stares ahead, distressed but resigned to it, not really paying attention to the whole mess anymore.

White noise's armour turned out pretty okay, considering.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Bugbear in the Playground

A vanishingly rare specimen of another completed picture of mine:

Spoiler: New Arrival
    Show

The drawing comes with a somewhat lengthy backstory, which may or may not be relevant to the quality of the drawing itself. The pony is Southern Sky, and depicted is a scene, from her perspective, shortly after her death, timeline-swap, and subsequent arrival at (and attempt to flee from, resulting in a fall due to lack of Equestrian magic) the mostly secret research facility called Earthside Labs. The procedure being performed is not immediately harmless, but allows to reverse-engineer the principles of Equestrian magic and reapply them to Earthlike physics, eventually allowing Sky to fly again under her own power.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2014-11-02 at 03:02 PM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

It's been quite a while since I did anything in any kind of traditional media - usually I scare myself away from them, thinking all this digital arting's made what little pencil skillz I had before atrophy. Turns out maybe that's not quite true!

It's just a quick sketch with a plain old (tried & true, etc and so forth) no. 2 pencil on lined paper, but it feels nice to know I've not lost much to time. Behold, off-model Rarity sketch:

Spoiler
    Show

Morning Star

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I am not nearly as good as I used to be at the PnP, very much out of practice.

Sean Mirrsen, your picture reminds me very much of Deus Ex (the new one).

----

Day 448:

A quick sketch on halloween, which was a very busy day full of things not halloween related.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 449:

Another thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 450-61

This is when the whole Dark Sun thing started, before any of the cities were detailed. I am having trouble with figuring out what to put to fill the space in the bottom left corner there. I left my notes on since it's not done. Any other suggestions are much appreciated. Overall I'm not really sure I got the colours quite right, but that can be fixed easily later.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 463-77:

Man this one dragged on forever. I wouldn't consider it done, but the ATG gave me a convenient excuse to stop (most noticeably missing is TK glow, could also do with some value changes, among others).
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 478-9, 480:

Two entries for the ATG. I like this event, I'm glad they're putting it on twice a year for shorter now.
    Spoiler: Pony standing still/posing
    Show
    Spoiler: Pony moving/grooving
    Show

25. - Top - End - #565

Oh dang, there was an ATG? That's the problem with only checking EQD on weekends.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dang, there was an ATG? That's the problem with only checking EQD on weekends.
    Yup, only 15 days this time, I guess Phoe decided that 30 was a little too long to run. Also, they have prizes this time it looks like, random pony merch.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 481:

A wintery Pinkie Pie. This one was done using a weird brush for the hell of it. Need to practice doing hair sometime too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-12-04 at 09:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 482:

Poor parachute pony perilously perched on a pole.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 483:

Pony falling. Just a quick thing today.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 484:

Wanted to do more with this one, especially figuring out lighting things.
    Spoiler
    Show