Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Tales of Bastion

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

Not necessarily. He implied that he wasn't a Wizard, specifically, as opposed to an elementalist, a necromancer, an enchanter, a diviner, a holy mage, a summoner, an illusionist, etc. Coincidentally, he does understand the theory behind all of those schools, even if the only one he actually practices is Necromancy.

In any case, William raises an eyebrow and looks vaguely impressed; It seems he's at least tangentially aware of what those things are.

"Pleased to meet you Master Welf, and you as well Herr Holt. My name is William Knob, from the University of Varsten in the Free States. I've been studying here in Bastion for three months now, and I'm happy to say that the collection is excellent. Back in Varsten, you were lucky to find a book or two on a useful topic. Here, you'll find at least a shelf or two worth of material unless you're looking for something obscure."

Captain Hetfield speaks up, feeling left out of the introductions.

"Oh, and I'm Abdul-Aziz Hetfield, the kid's bodyguard. Makes sense to have one, too. Have you seen the stuff that happens around here?"

"Please just ignore him."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt
    Royal Canal
    Midday

Franco Fiore, newest Sergeant of the First Regiment, had apparently picked a horrid month to join up. The waterfront attacked, a madman declares himself king and rains fire on the city, and now, a clearly noble man washes up in the Royal Canal. It had added up to days without sleep, and nearly every waking our spent stressed as the Regiment tried to keep the peace in the wake of crises. At least now, he was only sitting waiting for his lieutenant.

Franco kicked a rock into the canal. I was supposed to have today off too... I was going to finally have a chance to look around this strange city... he thinks as he waits. Finally, he sees his commander walking towards him. Standing at attention, Franco salutes. The lieutenant saluted back, and started talking. "You should be done for now, sergeant. Return to the barracks for now - you may need to be called out on short notice."
    Last edited by ForzaFiori; 2013-02-13 at 11:54 AM.

Go Tigers!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt
    Falaeth Manor
    Early Afternoon

The elderly human kept his calm as Elizabeth reacted to the news, grief and fear. Hardly surprising reactions. Either the noblewoman was far more skilled an actor than he gave her credit for or, as he suspected, her shock really was as genuine as it struck him. Propably the latter. When Stray spoke up he simple inclined his head in a calm nod.

"Indeed, you have nothing to fear from me milady. You are not a suspect, nor do I expect you will be. Marital spats are unfortunantely something of a common occurence between spouses in the first estate. As of right now we do not have any suspects, but are looking into the manner.

I will have some questions about your husband but it can wait."

This wasn't really a time for prying questions. It was for grief and the caring for the dead. Finding a trail quickly was of course imperative. But overwhelming her with questions was rather insensitive so soon after news of her husband's eath. Regardless of how close they actually were.

Carefully, he added:

"My men are waiting for my command on where to take the body. Would you like us to send him here or directly to the temple for funerary preparations? I think I should warn you that his body is in a rather bad shape."

Auguste's arrival was quite the intrusion and the gall at inserting himself into not one but two investigations, one whom Alric had barely begun looking into himself, irritated the Lord-Marshal. He did not know whether the Duke had come in the name of business repurposed into a social call or something else. But there was a time and place for visits and giving condolences, and it was after the official announcement. And political initiatives... they come well after that...

"Milord, if you wish to discuss any initiatives we can do so later. Here and now, we come only to help a friend to deal with loss."

It took some effort to remain that polite. The duke came across as someone wanting to capitalise on someone else's death at best. It was... poor form. Regardless, he was an important man and at least to some level he probably had good intentions. Still hardly the behaviour of a gentleman.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Early Morning
    The Streets of Bastion
    Grover Dubois, The Crowleys

"Well, I am glad you asked miss! You see, I was sent here by a Dryad, a fair creature of womanly wood. She said I needed to be here, to bring nature back to this, well, less-natural place."

With that, he clasped his free arm across the shoulder of one Mr. Crowley in a rather casual fashion.

"Imagine Bastion, but with trees- trees everywhere. I see this place not as the city it is, but as the land it could be Mr. Crowley! A land green and prosperous as nature and city mesh into a utopia for both! Ah, but first, there is a slight issue, an... infestation I must purge."

He releases from the semi-embrace, facing the man and wife pair once more.

"Demons, Mr. Crowley. This city is full of them. They hide with guises lesser men cannot penetrate, and perpetuate their ichor throughout all facets of this city. They hide, scheme, manipulate, control, and would do their ill will upon this land and the city which stands upon it! I..."

He starts, pulling out from behind him the mighty, root-held hammer from its former location behind his back.

"...am the pest control, sort to speak. I have come here to hunt these unnatural creatures, and pound them to naught but fodder for nature to break down."

With a stern and overly serious look in his face, the tall and not-so-jolly-at-the-moment green man leans down, staring at a Mr. Crowley directly eye to eye.

"You wouldn't know where these Demons are, would you Mr. Crowley?"
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Challenge: Claire "Colibri" Lapointe
    Spoiler
    Show
    Known as "Hummingbird Claire" or the Celish "Colibri", this aspiring duelist and 5th child of the lesser Lapointe house has planted herself in the Dragon's Alcove Inn until she's been satisfied. With lightning reflexes and years of dedication, Claire is an excellent fencer. However, due to her short stature and noble birth, few take her seriously. To make matters worse, none of Bastion's bravos want the reputation of having lost to the sylph of a girl. After a week of picking fights, Claire has only managed to provoke two opponents: a tipsy guardsman and a lecherous corsair. She won both duels handily, leaving both men with a slash across the left cheek.

Claire (24 years old) is 5'2" with distinctly Celish features, black hair and wide blue eyes. She wears a trim leather gambeson over a brilliant indigo coat. Her weapon of choice is a particularly light and slender uru steel rapier, inlaid with a round amethyst on the pommel with a mother of pearl grip and a silver guard with gold filigree in a feather motif. She can be found at a corner table in the Dragon's Alcove, nursing straight gin.

A sportswoman, she will duel for wagers, though all she seeks is a reputation.

Claire fights with a +6 bonus. She fights to first blood, nicking her opponent in the shoulder. If she isn't treated with respect prior to the duel and wins, she'll instead leave her opponent with a scar across the cheek. If she loses, her opponent has earned her respect and she goes in search of a new master to further her education, possibly asking the victor to train her. In the event of a tie, her opponent earns her respect, but she remains in the Dragon's Alcove until she can be bested.

For every three opponents she defeats or ties with, she gains an additional +1 bonus in combat.

Reward: 1 AP or Claire's Rapier (+1 Short Range; if wagered)
    Defeat: If male - mockery from the Disciples and news of your defeat spreads through the city and a possible facial scar. If female - nothing. The flesh wound is inconsequential.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2013-02-13 at 03:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

5th of Bargenholt
    Early Afternoon

Falaeth Manor

Caydan holds fast next to Elizabeth as first Maranis and then Alric said their piece about the entrance Auguste had made -- and as she digs into his hand with her fingers, but he hadn’t just lost his spouse so he didn’t speak against it. It wasn’t his place to speak on behalf on Alric on the topic of the investigations, ‘Purge’ that he talked about wasn’t a suitable topic at a time when Caydan was focussing his energy on his friend, and what he had to say about the thoughtless actions the man had taken were already said, so Caydan, uncharacteristically, stayed silent -- the matter of Elizabeth’s culpability fell into the same category as the ‘Purge’, a topic to be discussed later as any discussion now would only distress his friend further, though Caydan personally couldn’t see his friend doing it he would feel better once there was proof for the disbelieving.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt
    The Dead of Night

Night fell on Bastion, sending commoner and noble alike to the welcoming embrace of sleep. Some dreamt of sweet nothings beside their loves, others were haunted, but the eyes of the city closed nonetheless. In that ignorant darkness a figure stalked the rooftops of Bastion's wealthy neighborhoods, nestled around the base of the Dawn district's cliff like beggars clamoring for bread. Here dwelt merchants and artists, captains and guildmasters, the ambitious few who fed the wonts of the nobles above. All of the houses held secrets, but one alone carried the stench of the Nether. It was a subtle thing, all but undetectable to the mortal senses, but in one house the shadows were darker, the temperature warmer, the very air prickling in the presence of Malice. No mortal could sense it, but to Turel the presence covered the block like a stain, a seeping liquid hate that sent shimmering waves of wonderful pain into the cold night. Another week, maybe two, and the Bastionites would begin to feel it too.

Coming to a stop where a street interrupted the rooftops, Turel scanned the nearby houses. He was close now, that much he could tell, but he might not have identified the source of the taint were it not for the shadow that followed at his side.

"Where did you see her, Zhirad?"

Resolving into a leather clad figure in a steel plague mask, Zhirad pointed a thin finger at a house near the end of the street, a handsome three story affair that showed all the hallmarks of an up-and-coming socialite.

"She returned there with her prize, Master."

"One man?"

"I cannot say. I dared not tarry overlong lest she detect me."

"Strange. To have affected this area so drastically in so little time she must be powerful. Powerful enough that she should have sensed your presence. You're sure you were undetected?"

"Yes."

"Hm. All the better, I suppose. It would be a shame if our first demonic interloper was a bore as well as a trespasser. Come."

Together, Zhirad and Turel vanished from the rooftop, only to reappear across the street from their destination. The curtains were drawn over the bay windows of the house's first floor, but on the second a room stood open to the moonlight. In the shadowed gloom beyond, they saw a bed, and resting upon it two figures in the violent throes of passion. Soundlessly, the two demons shared a glance, and were standing in the dim pool of moonlight inside the bedroom. On the bed lay a man insensate with ecstasy, his eyes glassy nothings looking up at the thing that straddled him. To him, she was beautiful, but to Turel's eyes she seemed wispy and insubstantial, a flickering facsimile ready to change at a moments' notice.

"I hope we're not interrupting."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt, Early Afternoon
    Falaeth Manor

"Oh, I...no, not here." The lady of the house shakes her head, a little, places a trembling hand to her lips. "No, take him to...to the temple, for now. I...I suppose I have to make arrangements...I don't want him here. That would be...that would be too much."

Unbidden, tears spring to amber eyes, and Elizabeth looks determinedly into her lap. She had not thought she would weep at Andiron's passing, whenever or however it was--and it was true he was a brute of a man, hardly worth weeping for. It wasn't for him the tears rose, not truly, but the stress, the idea of all of the planning and preparations, funeral events, will-readings--oh, she would lose her title, that would go to his brother--would she lose her home--no, surely not--

The trembling fingers cover her eyes, and she inhales, shakily, voice taut when she speaks again.

"Forgive me, I...I do not mean to cause such a scene. This is...unacceptable behavior from me. Unbecoming."

A maid arrives, carrying a tray of tea and sandwiches, and casts a worried look at the lady of the house.

"Milady, as you requested...tea. Would you like some...?"

"Ah..." Elizabeth fights for composure, and wipes at her eyes. "Yes, please."

A pause, for tea, and then the noblewoman lifts her eyes to the Lord-Marshal.

"It is...better, if the pain comes all at once. Tell me...how he died. And then ask me...whatever you need to."

A few hours later...

The conversation, such as it is, is interrupted by Auguste; Elizabeth's eyes are red, and raw, and she stares in nigh-uncomprehending shock at the Duke as he enters and makes his speech. Others speak before her, as she seeks to put herself back together, but she shakes her head at his words and stands, trembling, to face him.

"Your Grace"--the emphasis is not polite--has come at a very bad time. I have not even made a public announcement regarding Andiron's death, and yet here you are, at my door, offering your 'condolences'."

A pause, an inhale.

"If you were here to actually be consoling, or to at least pretend compassion for the situation, I would have no problem. But you are not here to see me, Your Grace, you are here to see Alric, who is in the midst of a sensitive conversation. If you expected to surprise me, to gain support in my grief of your 'Purge', you will find no such thing, not now. Not here. My husband was slain by a knife to the gut,"--her voice cracks, wavers, but she lifts her chin--"a knife, not magic, and I trust the Lord-Marshal to handle things as he always has done and will continue to do, with tact and dignity. Now, if you don't mind, I have to figure out what to do with my husband's body, and how and when to have a funeral, and what customs I should adhere to when doing so."

Spent, the lady sinks back down into her chair, looking far older than her years--a contrast to Auguste, who looks far younger.

"Please, Your Grace." Her voice is quiet, now, tired.

"I cannot stomach this."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon's Alcove Inn

Ecks felt an almost overwhelming sense of apprehension as he entered the Dragon's Alcove Inn. Never did he imagine he would step foot in this place unless it was with thirty Whispering Ring members putting an end to their rivals once and for all. However, there weren't even thirty able bodied Ring members who were still alive, the dream was realized by their rivals instead. However, that was why he was here. The Candleman, the one thing that seemed to link the recent events, something that seemed both horrific enough to be the work of demons, and which directly benefitted te Dragon's Disciples.

He was dressed as Dennarius Mungle, a fictional noble with land nobody one. His nose was still healing, and would need magic to make it look as it once did, something he and Alric disagreed on, and a beard. As he was never directly involved in the fighting against the Disciples, there was a chance he was not recognized. A chance.

It was a place to start, to ask questions. However, first thing was first.

Dennarius Mungle walked towards the corner of the bar, looking down at the woman who occupied the corner table, wearing a bright indigo coat.

"May I sit with you, Hummingbird Claire?"

5th of Bargenholt

Challenge: The Baron's Son

Spoiler
    Show
    The Baron Lucan has sent a bounty to return his son to him, alive. Young Reynald has been missing for some time, and the family is only now willing to let go of its pride to have him found.

Reynald was at the center of the fiasco during the party at Falaeth Manor. He was kidnapped by a group of thugs, but luckily due to the heroics of Turel, the young man was freed, albeit without pants, leading to a number of cruel japes as to the nature of the kidnappers. Still, shortly after he vanished. Some believed he was distraught after the experience, others who knew more of him thought it more likely he was recovering from an injury. Still, darker tales run that it may have been darker things that caused him to disappear. In the darkest alleyways, there have been some people looking for Reynald, questioning what sort of dealings Reynald has had.

This challenge will be in five parts. Each part, players will have a total of three days to post, making the challenge last 15 days. As a hint, it will require some fighting, some social skills, and to start with some investigating.

Prize: 1 Wealth if you return Reynald to his father, or 1 AP if you have Wealth II or above already. Or, you will have Reynald at your mercy.

Misc. Rules: Up to two character can participate as a team. Followers will only be allowed for the first two parts of the challenge.

Part One: Investigation: Difficulty 7
    For anyone looking for Reynald's son, they need to first catch a scent of the trail. Through contacts, word of mouth, searching for clues, etc, your character needs to weed out the rumors to the truth.

Post by 9:00AM, February 16th, Eastern Standard Time
    Last edited by daelrog; 2013-02-15 at 04:59 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Early Morning
    The Streets of Bastion

Unfazed at the sight of the rather imposing man before him, Luke seemed to perk up even more at hearing Grover's purpose.

"Oh ho! I know exactly what you mean, Mr. Dubois. Er, not where the demons are, I mean, but that Bastion is positively brimming with shadows that prey upon the good men and fair maidens of the city. That's why I spend my days tracking down diabolical fiends and unraveling their plots, of course!"

Setselia nodded enthusiastically at her husband's side. "We're a husband-and-wife investigative team! You should really join us sometime, Mr. Dubois. It's great fun solving mysteries and catching culprits, and we could always use an extra hand."

"Of course! What a splendid idea, Cecily dearest. Come stop by our home in the Dawn Quarter sometime for afternoon tea and a tour of the gardens, and I'm certain we could find some way to help each other out."

The pair stood side-by-side grinning at Grover after extending their invitation.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

Not necessarily. He implied that he wasn't a Wizard, specifically, as opposed to an elementalist, a necromancer, an enchanter, a diviner, a holy mage, a summoner, an illusionist, etc. Coincidentally, he does understand the theory behind all of those schools, even if the only one he actually practices is Necromancy.

In any case, William raises an eyebrow and looks vaguely impressed; It seems he's at least tangentially aware of what those things are.

"Pleased to meet you Master Welf, and you as well Herr Holt. My name is William Knob, from the University of Varsten in the Free States. I've been studying here in Bastion for three months now, and I'm happy to say that the collection is excellent. Back in Varsten, you were lucky to find a book or two on a useful topic. Here, you'll find at least a shelf or two worth of material unless you're looking for something obscure."

Captain Hetfield speaks up, feeling left out of the introductions.

"Oh, and I'm Abdul-Aziz Hetfield, the kid's bodyguard. Makes sense to have one, too. Have you seen the stuff that happens around here?"

"Please just ignore him."
    "hmm...We have arrived 3 days before. You should see the library at Vorarl. It is one of the great wonders of this world. That is part of my reason for arriving here in Bastion. We wish acquire copies of books we do not yet possess. And, the good captain is correct it seems. I did not expect to see the city so destroyed. I heard there was trouble, but it was nothing like I imagined."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

12. - Top - End - #72

5th of Bargenholt
    Early Afternoon

Falaeth Manor

“Please, Elizabeth, you don’t need to force yourself.” Caydan said with more concern in his voice than was strictly warranted. “I’m sure Alric would understand if you wanted to wait. Let your mind settle.” His head turns to Alric, and then back to Elizabeth. “It doesn’t need to be now or never.”

A Few Hours Later...

Feeling a decision had been made, or perhaps inventing the decision himself based on what he believed should happen, Caydan turned to face Auguste. Under normal circumstances Caydan slouched in a conscious attempt to avoid towering over people, but that evaporated as he turned. “Please.” Caydan said, mimicking the words of Elizabeth, but rather than the desperate request of a woman on the edge it mingled with his looming shape to become an imperative.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

William actually offers a genuine smile to that.

"I've never been there in person, but I've heard stories and seen artist's depictions of the University of Vorarl. It's beautiful enough in those mere facsimiles, and I can scarcely imagine what the real thing might be like.

And there have been quite a few upsets during the last few months. I actually helped suppress the rampaging Necromental and the Pirates. I still hired Captain Hetfield afterward in case anything else happens, though."

Welf's understanding of Arcane Lore is probably enough to at least know the basics about what a Necromental is, and exactly how bad it is to have one rampaging. Also, considering that he doesn't look like a master swordsman or anything like that, "suppressing" two threats that would have been a difficult proposition for trained guards implies some level of magical ability.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2013-02-13 at 01:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

Frederick rubs at his goatee, in thought at Knob's comments. He wonders just how much of the story is true and how much of it is an embelishment on the part of William. While Frederick had no interest in the city itself he still had a job to do of scouting Bastion for a potential take over. "what of the rebuilding effort? Is there an organized front?"
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

If William knew about that, he'd likely be quite a bit less friendly.

Ironically, though, he's telling no falsehoods, though he didn't mention Colmdran or the First Regiment.

"Not to my knowledge, but things are getting back on their feet too quickly for it to be total anarchy. There is also a suspicious lack of activity on the part of the local organized crime syndicates, so I suspect they're helping out for once."

16. - Top - End - #76

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

Frederick continues to rub at his chin pondering the situation. Bruno interjects on hearing about the gangs He had been to the city a few years before and knew some of the seedy underworld "Do you mean to tell me the whispering ring and the disciples are working together? That's a load of bull if you ask me.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    Christophe stops and thinks. After a couple minutes, he extends his hand, saying a single word - "Deal." After shaking Ralin's hand, he continues speaking. "Now, onto other matters. You and your attache were trying to get a royal reception, correct? Now, I do not have the king's ear, but I believe I could get a message to a member of the upper crust - someone smart enough to realize the benefits of diplomatic relations with the Free Isles. All I would ask in return is that you take 3 men back to the Isles with you, and assist them in getting any documentation they may need for an extended stay."
    "So you want us to help you establish three spies back in the isles. Spies that would have had only a moderate amount trouble establishing residency without our aid but now we know the identity of?" Tilian states not quite managing to keep the amusement from his voice. "I think we can manage that."

Ralin smiles in agreement "Just make sure your men are not the type to get sea sick, otherwise they will have a most unpleasant stay. I digress, since the volume of trade that the Independent Isles will be doing with Bastion largely depends on what degree your government is willing to reduce their tariffs, It would be in both our best interests for you divulge as many details on this message and its recipient as best you can."
    Sometimes it is useful to know how large your zero is. ~Author Unknown

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

William raises an eyebrow at the outburst from Bruno.

"I take it then that you haven't heard about the Waterfront Siege yet; A few months ago, the docks erupted into all-out war. However, some incident with noble children happened and the First Regiment started a manhunt upon the Ring. An Ooze infestation, of all things, drove the leaders of the Whispering Ring out of their hiding place in the sewers, where the survivors were captured and/or executed by the First Regiment. There are probably a few members hiding out, but the Whispering Ring is finished."

He then apparently reads across something very interesting, from the speed at which he moves to jot it down.

"Haudanim, really? Why didn't I think of that?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shorewood View Post
    "So you want us to help you establish three spies back in the isles. Spies that would have had only a moderate amount trouble establishing residency without our aid but now we know the identity of?" Tilian states not quite managing to keep the amusement from his voice. "I think we can manage that."

Ralin smiles in agreement "Just make sure your men are not the type to get sea sick, otherwise they will have a most unpleasant stay. I digress, since the volume of trade that the Independent Isles will be doing with Bastion largely depends on what degree your government is willing to reduce their tariffs, It would be in both our best interests for you divulge as many details on this message and its recipient as best you can."
    5th of Bargenholt
    Midday
    Clay Jug

Christophe fakes offense at Tilian's speculations. "I do not deal in espionage. These men work for my organization, will be looking for possible business partnerships in the Isles. Neither they nor I work for the government of Bastion."

turning to Ralin, he elaborates on his earlier comment. "I have a business associate who knows the wife of a noble. She is less than friendly with her husband, but is influential in her own right. She is almost certain to understand the usefulness of at least listening to what you have to say. That is as much as I'll say for now, because I prefer my contacts to remain unknown unless absolutely necessary."

Go Tigers!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt
    Afternoon

Surprised at the hostility he was met with, Auguste decided to try to salvage as much of the situation as he could by tucking his tail between his legs and leaving.

"I apologize for upsetting you so much, my lady. I was just trying to make sure this doesn't happen to another person's husband. I seems like my timing was poor. Maybe we can discuss things some other time, but for now I bid you all adieu."

Auguste then turned on his heal and left Falaeth Manor without any delay. Once outside he found Jonathan returning from dealing with the horses. "Jonathan, fetch the horses. We are leaving."

"But sir, we ju-"

"Now! We are leaving!" bellowed an enraged Auguste. Without having to be told twice, the unfortunate guard captain left to retrieve the horses he had just put up.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon's Alcove Inn
    Claire's Challenge

Claire ignored Dennarius until she'd finished her page in The Songs of our Fathers' Land. Her slender hand drifted from the smudged glass half full of gin and over to her tankard of water.

"New Bastelle poetry is... terrible. Would you like my copy? I can't stand to finish this."

She was nearly three fourths finished with the book when she slammed it to the table and slid it over to Dennarius, not caring if he picked it up for not. After a long drink from her tankard, she asked tersely, "There are many free seats; what do you want with me?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Early Morning
    The Streets of Bastion

Grover listened to what they had to say, and grinned back with a wide, tooth-filled smile.

"I must say, that sounds rather intriguing! Alas though, I am merely a bud yet to bloom; my knowledge of this city's layout is rather sparse and only inclusive of what I have most immediately seen. I would hate to be a thistle hanging onto the skirts of your clothes, but otherwise I would be but a dandelion blown to and fro as I wander about. Would you mind terribly if I trailed along, and learned a little more about the city as I did?"
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon's Alcove Inn
    Claire's Challenge

"Why not? Bad poetry is still poetry." Clearly Ecks was out of his element. "I was thinking we could chat for a few minutes to get to know one another, I'd take a drink to steel my nerves, and then I'd take you up on your offer to duel." He extended his hand. "My name is Dennarius Mungle, I was one of the people who helped repel the pirates from the Waterfront."

It had not taken long for Eacks to here about the lady duelist. He could use for some practice himself, and this was the perfect excuse to come here. Win or lose, he'd have more than just one drink after this was done, and he'd get to know the other patrons...

He hoped his introduction was enough to get her interest.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon's Alcove Inn
    Claire's Challenge

Claire pursed her lips, looking back and forth between her drink and the man. With a flick, she produced a lambskin dueling glove from her belt and began to fit it snugly over her left hand.

"My poetry lecture is tomorrow afternoon in Steen Hall. If you want to discuss poetry, that would be the place for it, Lord... Mangle, did you say? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your house."

She rose, adjusting her belt and briefly letting a thin, haughty smile show. "I'll buy you a drink if you win. If. Until then, I assume you can find the bar without my help."

With that, she snatched up the rapier in the deep purple scabbard that had been leaning against the table and headed for the street.

Falaeth Manor

Moments after Auguste's swift departure from the sitting room, Stray came trotting down the front steps to the duke's carriage for a word in confidence. He paused, reconsidering what he was about to say, unsure if the man had heard anything of his exploits or cared.

"Your grace, a moment, please," he settled, "Do you know me?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2013-02-13 at 11:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon's Alcove Inn
    Claire's Challenge

All business. Ecks had been hoping to spend a little time to get to know her, mostly her weaknesses. Favoring one side, a lock of hair that got in the way. Something. She wasn't going to give him the benefit.

He moved to the bar. "A quick shot of rum, my good man. I'll be back for a second shortly."

Dennarius Mungle had his pride, for his house, for his people! Ecks smiled at the thought of how he was letting his noble title get to his head. Perhaps Mags was right.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    5th of Bargenholt, 1218
    Shortly after Dawn
    Bastion University

William raises an eyebrow at the outburst from Bruno.

"I take it then that you haven't heard about the Waterfront Siege yet; A few months ago, the docks erupted into all-out war. However, some incident with noble children happened and the First Regiment started a manhunt upon the Ring. An Ooze infestation, of all things, drove the leaders of the Whispering Ring out of their hiding place in the sewers, where the survivors were captured and/or executed by the First Regiment. There are probably a few members hiding out, but the Whispering Ring is finished."

He then apparently reads across something very interesting, from the speed at which he moves to jot it down.

"Haudanim, really? Why didn't I think of that?"
    Welf cuts back in to silence his outspoken guard. "We have yet to catch up on the gossip on the streets. Word travels slowly to Vorarl and claims become quite fancifull."

He begins jotting down notes of his own on the book he is reading. He would surely need to hire the services of a scribe to begin copying some of these texts to send back to his order.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt
    Early Afternoon
    Oustide Falaeth Manor

Auguste whips himself around to face this new distraction. "No, I'm afraid I do not know you. Are you here to remind me of how rude I am, because if not I might have time to speak with you." The enraged noble also mentally kicks himself for using his magic so gratuitously right in front of someone else. He'll have to be more careful how he uses it in the future.

Note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a chance that Stray will have noticed that Auguste was using his magic on Jonathan. I'm not sure if Stray was outside at that time, but you can roll it if he was. I'll roll in the OOC thread.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt
    Early Afternoon
    Oustide Falaeth Manor: Front Steps

"No! No, I... I think you meant well. I..."

Slightly befuddled and unsure of his plan, he reached inside of his coat to produce the leather folio containing his letter of marque from the king. Offering it over, he continued, "Well, I'm a Corsair Captain. When you mentioned rogue mages, I... well..."

He sighed touching a finger to his cheek and nose, "I owe mages for these scars. And I'd like to..."

Abashed, he began to turn away, taking a step up. "Begging your pardon, your grace. I don't suppose you have a use for someone like me. Honestly I can barely use a sword. I just..."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt, Evening, Maranis's Study (Bastion University)

The door swung open to let a curious pair into the room. One of them seemed more than a little bit shady. Between the scars and the poorly concealed weapons, this was the sort of elf most parents wouldn't like to see their daughter being too friendly with. He was offset by his companion, an almost too-pretty elven man who'd nearly 'gone native' - he had the best in high-yet-affordable fashion on, if such a thing could be said to exist, and no visible blemishes.

These were Calis and Wynbi Hadrio, Maranis's tacticians, and two of the three Sentinels not currently pretending to be anything else. Both were dangerous, though the first in a more conventional way than the other.

"Well?" Maranis said, without preamble.

"Glad 't see you too, boss." Calis grinned. "Warms me heart, it does, see'n how well yeh've taken t' the duties of hostess."

For his part, Wynbi frowned. "We were unable to gain access to the weapon - legally, that is. Your instructions were to avoid forcing the issue, so we didn't." In contrast to Calis's speech - which would fit right in on the docks of the Waterfront, with a splash of Hefrizian accent to boot - Wynbi had the smoother tones of an aristocrat.

"We saw it, though, didn' we? Elf-make, but not one of ours." Trust Calis to know who made what daggers. Maranis would take his word for it.

"Which is just as well. After being handled so many times, I'm not sure I could get a clear reading on it anyway." Wynbi paused. "But there is some good news. The word among the nobles is that Luke Crowley and his wife are back in town."

The elven commander tried to place the name. "Do I know Luke Crowley?"

"No. At least, not that I know of. But you should know of his wife - Setselia, originally of the clan Anarion."

"Oh! The sage. She's..." Maranis trailed off before putting her foot in her mouth. Wynbi grinned, though - of course he'd heard the rest of the sentence. "Oh, you can go ahead and say it. She is better than me; you should absolutely meet her, and they say her husband is fairly perceptive too."

"Assuming he'd even want to spend time investigating this."

"Assuming that, yes."

Maranis considered, but not for long. "Call to her. Use your powers - I'm tired of correspondence being intercepted by who knows how many people the moment it hits the streets."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2013-02-14 at 12:53 AM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

5th of Bargenholt
    Afternoon
    Outside Falaeth Manor

A smile crept upon Auguste's face. A flicker of hope that the day may not be a total waste sprung up in his thoughts. Auguste even seemed to like the man, for he surely knew how to speak to his betters and, aside from the scars, he had a roguishly handsome face. Quickly summing up the risk in his head, Auguste decided that this man would make a very loyal (and handsome) follower, or if not he'd regret the day he crossed the Duke of Verteoux.

"Wait, don't go. I don't blame you for wanting to get even. If I had such a handsome face as you, I know I'd want to do everything in my power to punish whoever is responsible," said Auguste with an excited smile. "Do you have a horse here you can ride? I'm eager to get home and out of this rain but I only have two horses here. One for my guard captain and one for myself. If you do, please come with us to my home, if not you may come when you are able."