New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Not that it's not accessible if you haven't read Shakespeare, but at least half the humor is gone if you haven't. ("Extended metaphors--the hot new way to flirt!" made me laugh so hard I might've broken something, it's one of the best Shakespeare jokes I've ever read.)
    Okay, it's years since I last saw the play performed. I remember the basic plot, the characters, and bits of dialogue, but that particular reference escapes me.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

It's not a reference to one specific scene, beyond the one directly parodied by the scene that has that line. It's a reference to multiple scenes from every Shakespeare comedy ever.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, the "Princess"'s entrance had me in stitches. Good show Rich, good show - I did not see that bit of characterisation coming, although in hindsight I really should have

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If any living being but yourself views your copy of Haleo and Julelan, Rich's spectral assassins will wing their way through the ether to your house.
    Can confirm. I was reading the Belkar one when it came out, and my dog walked by and got a glimpse of the monitor.

I spent the next two weeks on a plane of torment.
    !

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bug View Post
    Can confirm. I was reading the Belkar one when it came out, and my dog walked by and got a glimpse of the monitor.

I spent the next two weeks on a plane of torment.
    The Justin Bieber one?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yes, [Haley] does [have a tattoo]--you get a glimpse of it when Elan and her are making out in the Azure City tower just before separating:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html
    Excellent! Well spotted, that dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Seriously, I get that My Little Pony is actually good TV. I acknowledge that it is well-written and well executed, I just can't seem to see it as more than a "well-written kids show", despite having been introduced to it by adult friends on two separate occasions.
    I'm the same; I can see why people like it, I can see that it is good... but it isn't something I could sit down and watch regularly.

(the same happened to me with Firefly, incidentally - several friends (with whom I have lots in common in terms of taste) tried to introduce me to the show, separately, I've given it a fair crack of the whip... but it didn't engage me at all.

I did think Serenity was brilliant, mind - enough to own it on DVD - so perhaps I'm just a bit peculiar...)
    Probably not a robot from the future sent back to exterminate all human life.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, is the tapestry that Haleo was hiding behind supposed to be a reference to something? It looks like it should be? Maybe one of the various movie versions of R&J or something?
    It's the Romeo and Juliet from Baz Luhrmann's 1996 film version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Ow.

I'm a fan of D&D and Order of the Stick and I don't appreciate characters interacting with their world? You wound me, sir.
    I didn't quite intend that. I was trying to suggest, in full seriousness, that in my opinion the sort of character interaction they use to draw people in is similar. I'm having trouble finding the right words for it. Maybe a nostalgia thing.

I'm far too dangerous an opponent for someone of my meager abilities.
    So, you are too strong for your weak self? Or you can always beat yourself, but...I got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    15 was the inital goal for H&J. The Stick Tale grew in the drawing, apparently.
    I like to think that some of those pages just demanded to exist, perhaps despite Rich's better judgment. The ball scene and every moment that the Empress is hamming it up on-panel, for example. Because those are glorious moments.

If any living being but yourself views your copy of Haleo and Julelan, Rich's spectral assassins will wing their way through the ether to your house.
    The spectral assassins are busy with the RIAA at the moment. There are two small, but irate ghosts of Statler and Waldorf who are filling in for them. Rather than drag you off to torment, they'll ask why they should torment'er when they barely knew her.

Quote Originally Posted by oball View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    You're awesome and I had no idea this was being referenced.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-08-17 at 12:31 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Julelan (if not Elan proper) is quite capable of not breaking character when he's dedicated to his performance (i.e. keeping up the Nurse Banjo device).

Also, all those general Shakespeare gags. They're worth the price of admission.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I didn't quite intend that. I was trying to suggest, in full seriousness, that in my opinion the sort of character interaction they use to draw people in is similar. I'm having trouble finding the right words for it. Maybe a nostalgia thing.
    I don't think "nostalgia" is the right word to use for an ongoing work.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I don't think "nostalgia" is the right word to use for an ongoing work.
    Why not? If both My Little Pony and Adventure Time are creating a feeling of fond remembrance for emotions and experiences that we had during childhood, it's the perfect word. I'm just not sure that correctly describes either show, which is why I was hesitant about the term.

Edit: I think you could definitely use the term if you're someone who experienced Tarquin's music references firsthand and felt nostalgic about it when he started bringing them up in this story. And that's only a couple days old.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-08-17 at 03:03 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So, I open my mail... "ooh, three kickstarted updates from mr Burlew!"

The first one announces a new PDF! Sweet!

The second one brings us the PDF. I hastly download it and... the password fails. Try again. Error.

"Ok, so the third mail contains the correct password and an apology, doesn't it? let's check".

Precisely.

Now I'm wondering if it wasn't a deliberate gag.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2013-08-17 at 04:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343

I think my favourite line was "You're double starshine!" It's so sweet.

One thing I just noticed is that Haley and Celia are wearing a bunch of jewellery after raiding the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Is Rodriguez gay in the main continuity?
    There's a hint at it, I guess.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The "Roy Quixote" panel has left me wondering if Mr. Burlew has even been to Spain. Because modern-day "La Mancha" is, indeed, ridden with those pesky modern wind-powered turbines, and Spain is one of the world leaders in wind-powered energy (producing about 20% of the world's total output).

Some people criticize the modern windmills for their impact in the landscape, the amount of trees chopped down to install them, and because apparently they kill birds in droves. But, of course, it's still a lot cleaner than burning oil or coal.

I suppose it's a coincidence (after all, if the place was ridden with windmills 400 years ago for Don Quixote to fight them, it comes to sense that it's ridden today with modern versions), but know that you hit home with that one, Mr. Burlew.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2013-08-17 at 05:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345

One thing is , i think that something like this is great in the fact that to get EVERY joke you DO need to know stuff.

Its the type of thing that gets people asking questions and researching and later rereading it and going "ooooh".

Like when V (for Vendetta) started going on about Mab, i asked my friend (who didnt read this) about Mercutio and Mab. Thus finding out (or rather, reminding me) of his little monologue about her.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

16. - Top - End - #346

Flumph

Default Missing joke?

Page 4, panel 11 (middle panel of bottom row).

Ian: Unsavory? I got your unsavoriest element right here!
    Jenny: Barium?
    Ian: Come and choke on it, you sadistic son of Banquo!

Why barium? Nothing's terribly funny about that. Then I realized that Ian maybe should have said something like "First I have to kill 'em" right afterwords. OK, not the funniest joke, but not the worst either.

Two possibilities: 1) it was meant to be there, but Burlew forgot, or 2) it was there in an earlier version, but was removed or replaced for whatever reason.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Missing joke?

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Why barium?
    It's a chemistry joke.

Also, barium is highly poisonous in it's water soluble forms.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    It's a chemistry joke.

Also, barium is highly poisonous in it's water soluble forms.
    Could also be a Breaking Bad reference. Though I could be reading too much into it.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

19. - Top - End - #349
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by oball View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Eh, it's OK. I was deliberately being a bit melodramatic.

So, you are too strong for your weak self? Or you can always beat yourself, but...I got nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Farnsworth Parabox", Futurama
    Leela: We're exactly the same, so I know all her moves. Therefore, I have the advantage.
    :both versions of Leela kick each other:
    Farnsworth: Now, now. Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.
    I like to think that some of those pages just demanded to exist, perhaps despite Rich's better judgment. The ball scene and every moment that the Empress is hamming it up on-panel, for example. Because those are glorious moments.
    Burlew's on record as admitting he tends to run longer than planned in the telling. And I think it's definitely for the better.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Why barium? Nothing's terribly funny about that.
    I was assuming it was a reference to a barium enema, which is a medical test involving getting a lot of barium into your intestines so they will show up in X-rays better. Pretty much everything about the test and its preparation would fall under "unsavory," I suspect. And the "come and choke on it" line would make sense in that context since the patient has to (among other things) drink a large quantity of barium sulfate solution. I've had a couple of relatives go through it and it's pretty loathsome.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

I think my reaction to this new Bonus PDF can best be summarized by Julelan:

"SQUEEEE!"

Also, I just noticed that in the final panel Pompey is holding Nurse Banjo. What's up with that? Also also, vampire Nale made me giggle.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    Also, I just noticed that in the final panel Pompey is holding Nurse Banjo. What's up with that?
    Well, Nurse Banjo betrayed Julelan*, don't forget. And Pompey did use Nurse Banjo to deliver a message earlier in the story. So obviously they decided to get together at the end of the story.

: But it's just a stupid hand puppet of Julelan! He was controlling it the whole time!
    : Och. Best not ta dwell on such things.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-08-17 at 02:28 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #353

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SarahV View Post
    I was assuming it was a reference to a barium enema, which is a medical test involving getting a lot of barium into your intestines so they will show up in X-rays better. Pretty much everything about the test and its preparation would fall under "unsavory," I suspect. And the "come and choke on it" line would make sense in that context since the patient has to (among other things) drink a large quantity of barium sulfate solution. I've had a couple of relatives go through it and it's pretty loathsome.
    Could be. I've had an upper GI Xray, but that only required a barium milkshake, not an enema. It was a long time ago, but as I recall, it was a bit ugly leaving my system, but not really all that bad.

ETA: I also don't remember having any difficulty drinking the barium milkshake. Perhaps if I had to have more than one it might have been a problem.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2013-08-17 at 04:57 PM.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

24. - Top - End - #354
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    I'd consider it the same as for a book you buy. If someone's in your house reading it that's fine, but using a copier and giving a full copy is not. Digital presents interesting challenges from the ease of copying; pretend it's a hard copy you bought and you'll be fine. Just don't print more than one or give it away.
    Ah, good. I wasn't able to be at the computer for the last 25 hours, and in that time Little Bro asked me if he could read it, and I figured the answer was probably going to be yes. I don't know what I would have done if I came here and Rich had said "no".

Then again...

PS. I really hope the next Shakespeare Sticktales is "MacSuvius". With the Wyrd Fiends, and Banquo the hand-puppet. Please, Rich?
    Last edited by RabidEel; 2013-08-17 at 08:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355

Gotta say, Rich really knocked it out of the park with this one. A really faithful retelling that legitimately made me want to re-read Romeo and Juliet.

Also, the "you'll be deader than 4th edition" line made me burst out laughing. I love when Rich's humour gets a little mean.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RabidEel View Post
    Ah, good. I wasn't able to be at the computer for the last 25 hours, and in that time Little Bro asked me if he could read it, and I figured the answer was probably going to be yes. I don't know what I would have done if I came here and Rich had said "no".

Then again...

PS. I really hope the next Shakespeare Sticktales is "MacSuvius". With the Wyrd Fiends, and Banquo the hand-puppet. Please, Rich?
    Hmmm... On the one hand I want to say that, because Durkon has Scottish (-ish) accent, that he should be the one to do the Macbeth plot. On the other hand, blind ambition, grasping for power, and the consequences thereof is the spine of Vaarsuvius' character arc.

Either way, I definitely hope that future Stick Tales give us at least one story each told by/about Durkon and Vaarsuvius.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Anybody saw Haley's tatoo on her back in Page 18.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

28. - Top - End - #358

Hmmm... On the one hand I want to say that, because Durkon has Scottish (-ish) accent, that he should be the one to do the Macbeth plot. On the other hand, blind ambition, grasping for power, and the consequences thereof is the spine of Vaarsuvius' character arc.

Either way, I definitely hope that future Stick Tales give us at least one story each told by/about Durkon and Vaarsuvius.
    Durkon is a perfect Banquo, I think. Banquon? Durquo?
    !

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Anybody saw Haley's tatoo on her back in Page 18.
    It's been mentioned, yes. It's a more detailed version of the one seen here (2nd pg, panel 9).
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

30. - Top - End - #360

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bug View Post
    Durkon is a perfect Banquo, I think. Banquon? Durquo?
    Durkon doesn't have a son, though.

You know who does have a son and has a habit of manifesting as a ghost at others' inconvenience?