New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

I didn't have any particularly strong feelings for a Therkla bonus story... but to get one, and it turns out to also be a Sangwaan bonus story? If I had contributed enough to pick a minor character for a bonus story, it probably would have been her.

And a masterful job it was, with fitting all of the pieces together.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #572
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

That was beautiful, 2-for-1 character background! Thanks Giant!
    "I don't know why everyone always complains about being overshadowed in combat. I've always found it very relaxing."

Avatar by Threeshades. Thanks Threeshades!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    As for seeing Therkla's death, my interpretation was that Shangwaan did give Therkla the antidote, and that, from her reaction, Therkla realised that. It's unclear to me if she saw Therkla's death as occuring later that night, prevented it, then after giving her the antidote saw her "next" death (hence agreeing to see next week and wishing her a good year) or if she never saw her first "death" at all because it never occurred (would she even have been poisoned if not for hanging out with Shangwaan, which is how she got the antidote? So it's possible she wouldn't have died either way and the time and fashion of her death were always the one we knew).

I try not to think about those things too much though. Prophecies and/or time travel can easily give me headaches.
    My interpretation is that Sangwaan saw Therkla's actual death, dying of black lotus poison on a ship far from home, and either knew the date as well or figured getting in such a situation from her present location in Azure City was unlikely to happen soon.

Therkla had no clue about any antidote, but knew Sangwaan both knew about Therkla's death and had agreed to meeting her next week, and worked out that this combination implied Therkla's death was at the very least not going to be this week. Thus, Therkla could use whatever tactic she liked and be reasonably assured of survival.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    My interpretation is that Sangwaan saw Therkla's actual death, dying of black lotus poison on a ship far from home, and either knew the date as well or figured getting in such a situation from her present location in Azure City was unlikely to happen soon.

Therkla had no clue about any antidote, but knew Sangwaan both knew about Therkla's death and had agreed to meeting her next week, and worked out that this combination implied Therkla's death was at the very least not going to be this week. Thus, Therkla could use whatever tactic she liked and be reasonably assured of survival.
    When I said Therkla knew that she had been given an antidote, I mean after the fact. When she's told she consumed the exact mix of herbs and alcohol to serve as an antidote, her reaction shows she understood that Sangwaan gave her an antidote and saved her life.

I agree with your interpretation but I wanted to clarify, as you seemed to think I though Therkla knew about the antidote before throwing herself onto the knife :)

5. - Top - End - #575
    Bugbear in the Playground

I never thought Sangwaan was that young. I always pegged her as an elegant fifty-ish lady, not a depressed but humourous twenty-someone.

Still, even that much younger she comes across pretty wise. Being a seer, she made the best out of her life, and this comic only reinforces this perception of her character. It's both sad and inspiring.

Rich, it's wonderful that you took your time to craft this wonderfully composed story. I read it two times now, and despite it being relatively short, it adresses many points your readers wanted to know though we never realized it until we read about them. I suppose that this bonus story was - of all the kickstarter shorts you promised us - the most difficult to write, since you had to tie everything so that it fit into the main storyline.

There were light-hearted jokes, suspension, ironic hindsight-foreshadowings and tragedy, all packed in a little tale that (admittably) wasn't even necessary to know so that non-backers aren't cheated out of important content.

Bravo! Encore, Encore!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post

I never thought Sangwaan was that young. I always pegged her as an elegant fifty-ish lady, not a depressed but humourous twenty-someone.
    Not sure why you thought that...the Giant has a very specific way of showing older people in his art style (the lines on the faces), and Sangwaan was never portrayed that way; I never thought she was older than her thirties, myself.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Pixie in the Playground

I like Therkla’s role in the main comic, and I find the strips in which she makes her final appearances (including Elan’s speech at her grave) particularly moving.

And now you’ve somehow delivered a great story which also makes me appreciate the Therkla strips still further.

Wonderful stuff, Giant, thank you.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Halfling in the Playground

Just here to chime in: I liked the story as well very much, well done (though it didn't leave me as depressed as some here it seems).

9. - Top - End - #579

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not sure why you thought that...the Giant has a very specific way of showing older people in his art style (the lines on the faces), and Sangwaan was never portrayed that way; I never thought she was older than her thirties, myself.
    I haven't thought much about the ages, except when explicitly stated or referred to.

Anyway, I rarely comment on the forums, but just wanted to say how excellent the story was.

I didn't find it depressing so much as touching.

Also, I've been in the situation Therkla was re: Harry Potter books. For most of the years, I had a full-time job, so I'd have to wait to the weekend to finish the books. I was particularly annoyed when people spoiled the ending of book 6. ;)
    My God.... It's full of stars....

10. - Top - End - #580

Daemon

All I can picture now is Therkla and Sangwaan chilling in the afterlife with Thane and Shojo, cheering on the protagonists and getting drunk.

I hope that's a part of the endings when the OOtS story finally ends, just one page of the victorious dead getting closure and a final chance for one-liners.
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

11. - Top - End - #581

I'm not sure any of those would be together. Shojo's CG, Thanh is LG, Therkla's TN and I'd guess Sangwaan's NG.

Which is another case of why the Great Wheel kind of sucks. You die, and never get to see any of your friends and family with different alignments again.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Life isn't fair, why should the afterlife be?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

13. - Top - End - #583

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Therkla's TN
    Is she? I kind of had her more down as LN...

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Word of Giant is TN.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #585
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Well, her loyalty to Kubota is less about respecting his position or maintaining personal honor as it is she is loyal to the one person who's been willing to give her a fair shot. Plus, on a meta level is makes sense for her to smack dab in between the Chaotic Good Elan and the Lawful Evil Kubota.

16. - Top - End - #586

Daemon

i just kind of assumed that eternal paradise included time spent with your friends, even if they aren't the exact same alignment. I mean, there are no rules saying they can't meet up in neutral territory (maybe literally) every once in a while. I'm sure Elan's eternal reward would involve seeing the rest of the order occasionally once they all pass away.

Speaking of the afterlife and such, apparently Rooster is the god of fortune telling. Is there any other bonus stuff telling of the roles of the rest of the Southern Gods? Or is this a direct real world 12 Zodiac meaning kind of thing?
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by avakeiya View Post
    Speaking of the afterlife and such, apparently Rooster is the god of fortune telling. Is there any other bonus stuff telling of the roles of the rest of the Southern Gods? Or is this a direct real world 12 Zodiac meaning kind of thing?
    SOD establishes Rat is evil-aligned (apparently the only one).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

i just kind of assumed that eternal paradise included time spent with your friends, even if they aren't the exact same alignment. I mean, there are no rules saying they can't meet up in neutral territory (maybe literally) every once in a while. I'm sure Elan's eternal reward would involve seeing the rest of the order occasionally once they all pass away.
    Elan himself thinks not.

I won't see you in the afterlife in that case
    Because you're Lawful, and Chaotic Good am I
    And I don't think they'll let me hang at your place.
    O buddy Roy, O buddy Roy, why did you die?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

19. - Top - End - #589

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Elan not only isn't likely to have ranks in Knowledge (Religion) (or whatever would be required to know the answer to a metaphysical question like this), he's not the brightest candle in the box, so I don't think anything he says to be true can be assumed to be so; and even if you *do* assume that, the statement is hardly cut and dried when he's saying he doesn't "think" they'll be able to meet up.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh, you devious, devious Giant. That was beautiful.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfey View Post
    Also lord Rooster seems to be kinda of jerk. Which fits.
    Or particularly kindly. I think you can interpret "well played" as good job making me realize this is what I really wanted in advance, while working around the problem that knowing *I* was going to die soon would've defeated the whole unexpected thing it needed to have to qualify.

22. - Top - End - #592

GreenSorcererElf

Or is this a direct real world 12 Zodiac meaning kind of thing?
    It's not, unless it is really stretching.

I vaguely remember Dragon being closely associated with paladins, but I may be making that up?

23. - Top - End - #593

Roosters in general have fortune telling aspects, since they 'foretell' the day by crowing. They're also sacrificed so their entrails can be read.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Geez, I just finished the Therkla PDF. My feels, all of them. I think her story is incredibly sad precisely because her view of love and what she wants out of life is so childish. She's simple in so many ways and this PDF shows how the people around her never really respected how she felt, yet she's still loyal to them because it was the only place she could even get a shot at being successful at all.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Damn, Giant........ Therkla + Sangwaan = MAXIMUM feels!

I'm surprised to say that I enjoyed this one even more than Belkar's story.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yet another person chiming in who didn't think he needed a Therkla story, and ended up being very pleasantly wrong.

Probably my favorite of the Kickstarter PDFs.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realized that the rumble. rumble. rumble. on page 15 was from Miko's Fall. And it only took four read-throughs for me to catch it. <sigh>
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2015-02-26 at 03:01 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. I spotted the sound on the first read, but completely forgot about the sound made when Miko fell, so I thought it was Qarr trying to knock again (and I thought the guard saying it was wind was a reference to Therkla saying Qarr knocking is too quiet).

Took me until someone else pointed it out in this thread to realise I got it wrong.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Orc in the Playground

Considering those tell-tale lines on the faces tend to be bags under the eyes, don't you think Sangwaan's blindfold might make it hard to tell whether or not they're there? Really, the only visible clue that Sangwaan wasn't particularly old was the fact that her hair hadn't shown any indication of gray yet. But not having graying hair in the comic still leaves a pretty wide age range.

On the other hand, Sangwaan's prominent presence among high-ranking individuals during the planning and initial stages of a major battle suggest that she's their most capable diviner, and generally it takes people quite a while to advance to high rank. Obviously Therkla's story tells us otherwise, but considering how diviner-type characters are generally depicted throughout fiction, it's understandable that one might expect Sangwaan to be much older than she really is.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I just realized that the rumble. rumble. rumble. on page 15 was from Miko's Fall. And it only took four read-throughs for me to catch it. <sigh>
    Giant was establishing the time line in relation to the actual story. It was very nicely done also. I also enjoyed the insight into Sangwaan's character as well.
    FTDWIR