New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: FF1 Conversion for 3.5 ruleset

I know you say when this is all done, well complete, however you want to say it, that you are redoing the post to make it cleaner. Are you going to put this into a .pdf file or something that can be downloaded or at least saved offline without have to C&P posts? Apologies if this was asked before and I missed it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, it will all be compiled into a basic, no-frills PDF file. You are also free to do something like that yourself if you like, so long as you mention this thread as your source and note somewhere if you changed something. (I don't care what you change or how you notate it, so long as there's a line, somewhere, about it not being a copy of the original.)

The main source, however, will always be this thread (or another one very much like it). Having to regenerate a PDF after every incremental change is a minor inconvenience I don't have time for. Moving across the damn ocean into a country full of (a different kind of) weirdos is a pretty big time sink.

In other news, there's still a play-by-post game going using this system, and my nerd-time these days is spent over there mostly. As things arise that require adjustment and expansion to the system, I'll of course post them here.

edit-
    grammar is hard
    Last edited by teslas; 2014-02-04 at 06:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Argh, looks like the class tables are broken. I'll add this to my list of nerd stuff to handle when I get some free time.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teslas View Post
    Taking a weapon proficiency for a ranged weapon is a possibility for a black belt/master. There's always the option of just using the weapon with a -4 penalty as well, though that is a pretty damning option against anything with decent AC. Still, it means they are not useless, and can just as easily make unarmed attacks against everything else while fobbling around with a bow.

And again, utilizing terrain/readied actions and not having your DM be an ******* goes a long way.

As far as ki blast:

1: There's no need to be too specific about the fluff about how it manifests itself. Players can choose whether they give it a hadouken or blast it out of their eyes or whatever else as they see fit.

2: Whether an ability provokes an AoO or not is a pretty big decision. If it's something that disrupts their perception of the battlefield, then yeah. As a general rule, if it provokes an AoO, it should be slightly more powerful than if it did not. The Concentration check to complete it is a given should it provoke an AoO.

3: Making players wait until the next round to use it seems kinda harsh. This kind of implementation would also nudge it up a bit as far as effectiveness.

4: The damage and range is the biggest decision to make with this ability, and I have not yet begun to think about it. There's also the consideration of whether to have it play with Focus in some way.

5: It would be tied to their Constitution, most likely. One of the ways to un-suck monk types is to make them non-MAD, similar to the situation with barbarian-types.

There is/are vampires in FF1, and as such, he or they are in this campaign. If one of the player has the misfortune of becoming one, the mechanics would be identical to regular D&D. This would be an edge-case and up to the DM, but it would be possible. Anything other than having that player become an NPC or being destroyed (and then likely resurrected) would require imagination on the part of the DM.

There are were-animals in this campaign, though they don't play any major role by default. Because they exist, a player could contract lycanthropy from them. The mechanics would be the same as in vanilla D&D in how that would work. Generally speaking, it is not desirable for a character to become a lycanthrope, as it imposes a level adjustment they must meet before they can gain more character classes, and it might change their alignment in a way they, or the party, does not desire.

well, guess I'll have my monk get school in shuriken-jutsu.

as for ki blast, yeah, sorry about that, never been good at
    making feats, mine're always either over or under powered.

and thank you for the info on were's & vamp's, my buddy finally
    shut the hell up about it, and I think it works well too.

hope ya finish the system soon, and that you are well. peace out.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not going to lie, I was a little surprised when I was contacted by someone asking to update the tables because they were curious in using this for an upcoming game.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post14816018

There's what I pounded out quickly for half of the fighter. If that doesn't look as good as what is elsewhere, feel free to point me to a thread that does it better so I can copy away. Or, if someone wants to do it for me and is on the same side of the Atlantic I can transfer you 5 euros to save me the time, haha. Have a beer on me (unless you're in Norway, sweet christ is beer steep up there).

And yeah, I still check around occasionally, and I even added some to the black mage 7th level hole while I was here that had been bouncing around in my head for the past months. (It's useful in a pinch to perhaps stab away a grapple attempt with an attack of opportunity, and makes putting point buy into STR for the black mage (incredibly slightly) less of a bad idea, or if the player wanted to be different and pick a non-standard race with a strength or otherwise bonus, to have something that plays off of that. The point of it is to fill a hole, and be an extra toy, and no more.)

I also just inadvertently spent an hour and a half cleaning up the spell descriptions a bit.

General design notes:

The black/white mage MP should be scaled back slightly for the last 10 levels. I am not sure how much, but I'd suggest at least by 10%. Pre 8th level, it's been 100% fine in my opinion.

Black magic, in general, does a bit too much damage in the mid-levels of the game. Scaling this down a bit is likely necessary, and is a bit tricky, but likely deals with starting by taking 5-10% of the damage away from tier 2 and tier 3 nukes, be it through reduction of damage dice or their static +damage/CL. Tier 2 spells are the worse offender.

I also have some dabblings with bard/blue mage around. If my couple of PbP posts stay in their slow slump, I might clean them up and jam them on here as well.
    Last edited by teslas; 2015-08-10 at 04:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

So uh, it's been a while, but this exists now:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

There's also a Sage's Guide (DMG) and Bestiary (MM), but I don't want to post those online in case my players come looking :p