New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4294445464748495051525354555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1790
  1. - Top - End - #1591
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - Part III

After dressing, you are shown the way to Khaine's quarters. While you are heading to his chambers, you come across Lord Corvus.

"Well, it seems the commander sought fit to at least put something on you," he says, in what you notice seems to be his perpetually cross tone. "Wait. I wish to speak with you for a moment," he says, only using the collar if he has to.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #1592
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin speaks in polite terms, although not deference terms since she doesn't want to arouse suspicion. "Of course. And please, how should I address you? I feel rude just referring to you as 'you' or 'Commander Khaine's assistant' every time."

3. - Top - End - #1593
    Ettin in the Playground

"You may refer to me as Lord Corvus."

You try to size up Corvus. He is old, and not only in terms of years, but he is still strong and keen of mind. He seems agitated, and you suspect he bears a great deal of animosity directed at you in particular.

"I've heard Lord Khaine say that you requested to spend time with me. I would very much wish to know what gave you this... idea." His words are hissed out from between his teeth.

4. - Top - End - #1594
    Titan in the Playground

"I feel we got off on the wrong foot. If I am hated, then I want it to be for the right reasons. Lord Khaine also told me that your sense of honor is...different than everyone else's, and we may have something in common."

5. - Top - End - #1595
    Ettin in the Playground

Corvus closes his eyes for a moment. "What are you doing here?" he asks in a resigned tone.

6. - Top - End - #1596
    Titan in the Playground

"Lord Khaine requested my presence for dinner. I am on my way. Broadly, I was brought here against my will, but that doesn't mean I don't see remnants of the old Angrove that can stand proud. An Angrove that treats its prisoners with dignity. One that didn't truck with devils. Perhaps there is opportunity to go back to that state."

7. - Top - End - #1597
    Ettin in the Playground

Corvus turns to the servant. "Go. I will bring the prisoner to Khaine shortly." The servant goes.

Once the two of you are alone, Corvus violently pins you to the wall. "There was, until you let yourself get defeated!"

8. - Top - End - #1598
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin nods. "That was a tactical mistake. I actually have no clue what we didn't bring more reinforcements into the ethereal realm. The duke must really have overestimated my abilities due to my previous successes. Still, it's not over until it's over. My job now is to gather as much information as possible, and to *survive* as long as possible to see an opportunity to escape or for rescue. If that means acting like a defeated sex slave, then so be it. The Thrones have asked for painful sacrifices in the past. Maybe this was a way to allow me to start contacting sympathetic Angrovites, since I had no way to reaching people like you before. If I can, I'll try to sow as much distrusts between the devils and the Angrovites as possible to try to break up the alliance."

9. - Top - End - #1599
    Ettin in the Playground

"Khaine will not simply let you. He is far more cunning than he appears, and will kill you before you become a threat." He looks down for a moment. "I am a knight of Angrove. My word, and my loyalty, are absolute. If he orders me to slay you, I will not stay my hand. Nor will I ever betray my city."

10. - Top - End - #1600
    Titan in the Playground

"Lord Corvus, surely you have considered the fact that by cooperating with the devils, by following an ILLEGITIMATE ruler of Angrove, you may already be betraying the city? The current rulers came into power via a military coup correct? Surely you are old enough to remember that? The legitimate heir to ruling Angrove is out there, fighting to free this city as well. If you want to be a loyal Angrovite, you will do everything possible to help those trying to drive out the fiendish influence. As for Khaine, I shall just have to do my best to show that I am no threat, that I good entertainment as a plaything."

11. - Top - End - #1601
    Ettin in the Playground

Lord Corvus blinks. "At the time of the coup, I supported it. I believed that Houses Khaine and Hexulor were the best hope for the security and glory of Angrove. I believed the Reynaults were weak and would permit our city to be destroyed. I chose my side. It was only later I learned of the pact they had made with the fiends, and that in making my choice I damned myself.

I knew Azariah back then, counting him a close friend. He was a young knight, full of promise but hot-headed and full of the bravado of youth. I took him under my wing, hoping to help temper his excesses, believing him to have the potential to be a great knight. Instead, the fiends influenced him, encouraging his vices and convincing him that the ways of chivalry and honor were tools, to be used when convenient and discarded when not."

12. - Top - End - #1602
    Titan in the Playground

"Lady Reynault is anything but weak. I have seen her fight, and without my divine powers to aid me she could likely best me in battle. And fine, you chose the wrong side and made a mistake. Like I told the fiend whom your precious Azariah forced me to rut, people grow by making mistakes...and hopefully learning from them. No one is beyond the possibility of redemption. Not you...and not commander Khaine. Ideally, I'd redeem the commander as well, and Whiteveil would not need to kill a single Angrovite soldier as we band together to kick the devils out."

13. - Top - End - #1603
    Ettin in the Playground

"The devils will see Angrove flattened and its people slaughtered before they see it freed. By serving, I can at least protect those who are still innocent within its walls. At least then my damnation will serve a purpose." He lets you go. "Go now to Azariah. I will say nothing for now, but I won't lie if they question me, so don't draw their suspicion."

14. - Top - End - #1604
    Titan in the Playground

"The devils are not infinitely powerful, you can do your part to help. Let this go on, and soon there will be *no* innocents in Angrove as fiendish values to driven into the youth. I will talk to you again, Lord Corvus, but for now lead me to Khaine in silence as to not draw suspicion."

15. - Top - End - #1605
    Ettin in the Playground

Corvus shows you to Khaine's chambers. They are very well furnished, in contrast with the rest of the underground fortress. He waits for you seated in a high-backed chair at the head of a well-prepared table, with a pair of servants waiting on him. He rises as you enter.

"Lady Ye, how nice of you to join me." He offers you a seat. "I must sincerely apologize for my actions earlier. It is a difficult business, trying to keep the fiends satisfied. You must understand that all of the humiliation was necessary to keep you out of their torture chambers." His words are as smooth as silk.

16. - Top - End - #1606
    Titan in the Playground

(Where is Karrin's seat related to his? And how dignified is the silk dress?)

"Well, I hope that my presence here will not cause too much of a strain between you and your fiendish allies. I'd hate to make trouble for someone who is taking such good care of me. Please, do not worry about the humiliation. As long as you keep me safe, I do not mind at all. I am quite proud of my body."

17. - Top - End - #1607
    Ettin in the Playground

You are seated across the table from him. The dress lifts your bosom, having a neckline that stops just above your nipples, but covers your legs fairly well, all things considered.

"I am grateful you understand the situation. I, of course, hold you in the highest regard." He takes a sip from his wine glass. "Unfortunately, I doubt I will be able to secure your release until the war is over, at least as far as Whiteveil is concerned. However, I will continue to try to make your stay as pleasant as possible."

18. - Top - End - #1608
    Titan in the Playground

(Do the servants remain?)

The paladin takes a sip from the wine as well. "You know, from their perspective, they are just trying to retake their homeland. If all Angrove wants to do is just use Whiteveil as a buffer zone, I'm sure hostilities can be stopped if Angrove clears out of any lands that belonged to Whiteveil."

19. - Top - End - #1609
    Ettin in the Playground

(The servants are still present.)

"I'm afraid it is a bit more complicated than that. You see, the devils believe that the only way to defeat the demons is to unite all mortals under a single banner, and ensuring that they practice discipline and obedience. Whiteveil refused to accept an alliance with the devils, so they feel the city's current leadership will only promote discord and strife between the various factions of mortals."

20. - Top - End - #1610
    Titan in the Playground

"I agree with the whole Lawful approach, and I definitely agree that uniting mortals is the only way to stand a chance against the fiends. If you know anything about the allies I have, you'd see that I have managed to put together quite an eclectic team. I've convinced people to work with me...people that normally nobody would expect to be self-sacrificing. Who has ever heard of a goblin who goes around helping people because it's the right thing to do? I have made progress is getting the dwarves to work with Whiteveil, although I believe some other force is working to promote internal strife there. Tell me the truth. Has Angrove or the devils been actively promoting discord in the dwarves? This is the kind of action that is counterproductive to harmony and working together."

21. - Top - End - #1611
    Ettin in the Playground

"On the contrary; my sources tell me that our hosts have endeavored to unify the factional nature of the dwarven clans of Azkard, bringing them under a strong central rule that would be open to joining our alliance."

The spin-doctor is strong with this one.

22. - Top - End - #1612
    Titan in the Playground

Does Karrin feel that he genuinely believes what he says? In other words, is he a creator of the spin content or merely a consumer?

"Your allies have encouraged a civil conflict! When I was last there, I saw dwarves fighting dwarves! Look, I like order. What I can't stomach is pain and suffering. The devils are perfectly willing to cause pain and suffering to achieve their goals, and to kill anyone who don't agree with them. That's not uniting the people! That's just conquering! Letting people come to a consensus is the right way to live and to govern!"

23. - Top - End - #1613
    Ettin in the Playground

"People, coming to a consensus?" He laughs. "My dear, you are horribly naive. Nine out of ten people are too stupid to tell p*ss from ale, much less actually come to an informed decision! Only a wise, intelligent leader with the resolve to do what is necessary is capable of true leadership, and if they must use a bit of fear to keep the masses in line, then so be it! The dwarves were fools enough to reject our initial offer of friendship; any misfortune that occurs because of this is simply karmic justice."

He seems to fully believe this philosophy.

24. - Top - End - #1614
    Titan in the Playground

"I have helped people and led them without resorting to fear, and you can too if you put your mind to it! Tell me, how has the people of Angrove fared under fiendish leadership? Are they living better than before? Are they happy? Or do only the elite prosper at the expense of the masses? The mark of a good leader is his ability to work for the betterment of those he leads and prioritize that over his personal desires."

(I've gtg for now. Cya later.)
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-07-14 at 03:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1615
    Ettin in the Playground

"The people of Angrove are safe, and live prosperous, purpose-driven lives, confident in the knowledge that as long as they do what they are told, they will be fed and entertained." He goes on to describe life in Angrove; it sounds much like the city epitomizes the concept of Bread and Circuses for the common folk.

(Will probably be at work when you get back; talk to you around 11 or so)

26. - Top - End - #1616
    Titan in the Playground

"Before we go any further in this discussion, do you take it as a given that I, as a paladin, work for the betterment and prosperity of mortals?"

27. - Top - End - #1617
    Ettin in the Playground

"I work for the betterment and prosperity of all mortalkind. I have simply realized that for mortalkind to prosper, nay, even survive in this world, certain... types of mortals must be removed, others placed under tight control, with the exceptional left unfettered to do whatever it takes."

28. - Top - End - #1618
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes. Certain types of people should be removed. I call those murderers. The problem with your perspective is that you think you know who are exceptional from the get-go. People need to have the freedom to explore their strengths and potential. Did you think I was born a paladin?"

29. - Top - End - #1619
    Ettin in the Playground

"I believe you were born with a great destiny, which you then manifested using your own will."

30. - Top - End - #1620
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, because I didn't have a system designed to oppress me and only let me know what I am told to do. I discovered my destiny. No one told me what it was, and I'm not sure anyone else knew before hand. Potential is a terrible thing to waste! Surely you can have a prosperous people while still allowing them to be ambitious?"