New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Otherworldly [IC]

"From my experience with Demons, while it's not impossible that he's lying, he's more likely telling the truth- just holding something back. What that is of course, could be as small as how he found out, or as big as working with them and only pretending to help us stop it so he can control our actions and make sure they don't have any significant effect. Frankly that one's the biggest concern I field. I don't honestly think that's the case, but it's more likely then the idea that he's making this all up. More likely he's telling the truth, if he's as high a level demon as he says, he's got a vested stake in the world not ending, sure he's going to turn around and do unspeakable evil- but only so long as there's a world left to do that evil in. Do good for today so there is a world left to do evil in tomorrow."

Then Aric turns briefly to Stephan, "And my parents haven't had much say in my sleeping partners since I started the act," He smirks and finds a chair to sit down in.
    UPDATE 11/8/2013- My little baby is here, I will post as I can.
    Update 9/13/2015- My second Baby Boy
    Update 1/25/2017- My Baby Girl is Born

"Schadenfreude is chocolate for the Soul. That's why ours are full of cavities." Davan, Something Positive

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sacrilege almost laughed as Gus dropped the proverbial turd on the table, then left. Now all these wannabe 'players' thought they old outthink one of the original con-men ... see through the bullish}# from the one who probably invented the term.

When one of them started to wax quixotic about his experience with demons, the fallen angel did laugh out loud. When he finished he raised a hand apologetically. "Sorry, I'm supposed to be drinking a big cup of English Grey 'shut the fu~# up.' My bad ... continue."

None of this chitchat made a damn bit of difference. Only what they said when Gus came back would matter ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

freaking angels "you aren't supposed to stay silent, wings. just say something worth listening too." stephen turns back to the others, but he's still talking to sarni. "cynicism is a right meant for beings with real opinions."
    Last edited by commander panda; 2013-03-17 at 11:47 PM.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sariel nodded. "You're right. I tried to tell you f*&king geniuses about trusting Gus at the start, but with that high IQ of yours, your going over the same ol' sh*t. You know why you're doomed to keep repeating history? It's cuz you think you're too friggin' smart to keep making the same mistakes over and over. Apparently, you're not.

But you look like you've got this one wrapped up, with or without my help. So I keep my 'unreal' opinions to myself, and you keep your head up your a$$ and see if you can find the exit. Maybe you can teleport there!"

Sighing, Sariel started walking. He knew he wasn't going to get out, but he figured he needed to walk before he put his fist through that dipsh!t's piehole. Besides, when Gus wanted him back, he was pretty sure he's be there. Same old sh!t, different millenium ...only one with any sense is sitting over there readin' the comics, I bet.

5. - Top - End - #65

stephen doesn't watch the angel leave. those sticks they keep rammed up their asses are as easy to snap as he remembers. well, angels will be angels.

.... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

6. - Top - End - #66

Aric calls out to the angel, "if you've got something more useful to say than he's trying to trick us, feel free to speak up- but we got the memo- he's a prick and he's lying. If you just want to lord over your holyness I wouldn't mind seeing the room expand a bit, being without my ability to teleport in here has left me a touch claustrophobic."

Aric wedges himself into the seat. Muttering under his breath various ramblings, complaining about seemingly unrelated annoyances spanning since before the current events. And rounding out about how much smaller a room seems when you're locked in it...

"Schadenfreude is chocolate for the Soul. That's why ours are full of cavities." Davan, Something Positive

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Scarier paused for a moment. "That's really the crux, right? Who to trust. For all the questions asked, Gus didn't cover the one that I keep coming back to. For all the oil and vinegar that this little 'Real World' experiment is turning out to be, why us?

And who in there right fu}#king mind picks this group? The universe? Never known Gus and his bros to follow someone else's shots, unless there was major bennies involved.

You find that sh!t out,, and it might make a difference. But what do I know?"

Shriek keeps walking, mildly amused at the growing size of the room.

8. - Top - End - #68

BlueKnightGuy

"I've nearly reached a decision," Roberts would have called out to Sariel had he now suddenly not been walking side-by side, pace matched, hands in pockets, staring forward at nothing in particular. Quiet bugger, that one.

"I've been away for a long time, and it looks like I've missed many things.

"Could you tell me more of how the Angels gained dominance over the deities of man?"

(Seems that lens flare was making an encore.)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hannah looks over all of the others before focussing on the angel. She says: "I will not bind myself through mystic means without knowing what it is that I am bound to. Too little is known and words can contain many lies."

She closes her eyes, still hanging on to Nicole: "However, there also is the question that there is no answer to, why should we be set this task when there clearly are beings with greater power who could do more?"

She then opens her blue eyes again, and pushes the hair in front of them away. For a moment it looks like she has more to say, but she stays silent.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sariel stopped, looking at Roberts that said WTF? He shrugged his shoulders at the question. "How else? By being the baddest muthaf&*kers on the astral plane. Or at least that's what the brochure says. That wasn't my bag."

He heard Hannah's comment, and snorted. Didn't I just say that? Instead, he looked back at all of them.

"One thing Gus isn't lying about - the Host is coming. And not in some choir of cherubs singing Halleluiah and all that bull-sh!t. Heavies - the Pillar of God, the Light of God, and the Axe of God ... and whoever else they found to rip a few a$$ses along the way. I don't know why, and I don't know who they're looking for, so take that will a pillar of salt. If they're running a Hunt, then keep out of their way. If they're on Seek and Destroy, leave the country. But if they're on a Cleanse mission? Well, I'd tell you to pray ... but we all know what good that will do you.

At that point, either find another plane ... or try to die with dignity."

Spoiler
    Show
    Holy crap, did Sariel just SHARE with the group? He MUST be out of sorts.

V - if Sariel has more info on the original wiping out of the 'dieties of man' let me know, but I figure he wasn't necessarily there. Also, if I'm spouting off stuff that makes no sense, feel free to stop me!

11. - Top - End - #71

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    V - if Sariel has more info on the original wiping out of the 'dieties of man' let me know, but I figure he wasn't necessarily there. Also, if I'm spouting off stuff that makes no sense, feel free to stop me!
    dito here please. given stephen's somewhat extensive dealings with celestials i'd like to know what he knows about demon contracts, the celestial takeover, ect

12. - Top - End - #72

Nicole laughs a short, humorless laugh.

Nice of you to be up front about your buddies' plan to wipe us out. Where does this leave you?

She pauses.

'Cause we don't have another plane to go to. So that limits our options considerably, which means we have to fight if either you or Gus is correct: doesn't matter who we think is the more reliable narrator. So are you with us, or are you just waiting for the host to take us out?
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2013-03-18 at 10:42 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sariel looked back at Nicole rolling his eyes. "Who said they were my buddies? You've obviously got me confused with someone else." With a snort, he gave the hottie a humorless smile. "I guess that's what you get for reading the Cliff Notes version of Faust."

Spoiler
    Show
    HEY! No fair editing while I'm posting a response!

"What do you care? I'm just the guy not making friends cuz I don't share. So I shared and you're still ridin' my a$$ ... and NOT in a way I even like. Have YOU decided to sign up in Gus' Soul-a-month club?"
    Last edited by Starbin; 2013-03-18 at 10:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Nicole leans back on the hand Hannah isn't wrapped around.

Nah. Gus hasn't convinced me we can't do better without him. Between trying to save the world and trying to save it while making deals with demons I'll take the former every time.

Also, you'll have to forgive the distrust: I appreciate the information, actually. But put yourself in my shoes: I've just been told that supernatural entities are threatening my world. Before today, I figured I was alone. Now I've for to imagine an angelic host that wants to destroy all of us. Not cool. So until I know what all of you are and where you fall in this thing I'm going to be a bit wary. Hell, this girl--

She gestures to Hannah.

--seems to know more about what's going on than I do. So yeah. I'm ****ing on edge, and that means I'm inclined to be suspicious. In my position you'd be the same.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2013-03-18 at 10:55 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sariel shrugged. "I can't put myself in your shoes. Might as well ask the lion to look at it from the ant's perspective. Give it a couple hundred years and you'll take it in stride." And there's that angelic (?) arrogance, always rearing it's sanctimonious head.

But he did add with a slight grin, "Besides, they don't have pumps in my size."

16. - Top - End - #76

Nicole smirks.

You're a pretentious ass, you know that? Maybe not a bad one, but still an ass.

I'll keep an eye out for those pumps though. What are you? Men's size 12? Hot pink? I think it would look stunning on you.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2013-03-18 at 07:13 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

The Doctor chuckled at the sparring, still sipping at his tea. But while it was amusing and the angel was a bit infuriating, it wasn't all that interesting. Mr. Inferiority complex was obviously a lower level angel who none-the-less felt entitled to do whatever he wanted with people. But because of his low standing, he felt like he had to posture and show off constantly. Arrogance. Meanwhile the girl was a bit better socially, but still scrambling to understand the situation, which most of them were still likely trying to do. At least, more than likely. And that probably made her more likely to fly off the handle.

Now this demon of theirs was likely counting on that. If they were arguing and unsettled then Gus could get what he, or it you could never really tell, wanted easier. Which was probably forcing them to only believe that there were only two ways, take his offer or stay out of it and die. Of course for someone that was actually clever, there were always other options. He just had to sit back and figure them out.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ed gave a small chuckle, matching the argument between Sariel and Nicole; it was nice seeing someone try to put that arrogant b@st@ard back in his place. However, while their spat was amusing, it really didn't help with central problem. The angel said the demon was not trustworthy (big surprise, that) but also said the demon was telling the truth about the host coming to do them bodily - or maybe spiritual? - harm. While he was aware no one lived forever, Ed found himself not quite able to resign to his own death yet, and wasn't a big fan of the idea of death being sent on a bunch of unsuspecting people.

So, short version - don't trust the demon, except for the part about an angry gaggle of angels coming to kill us?

19. - Top - End - #79

"The biggest problem however, is the lack of information. We're crammed here in the proverbial dark with only tea and biscuits instead of solid answers." Aric sniffed at a cup of tea but promptly put it down with a sour expression. "If he's unwilling to tell us exactly what we're getting into we're stuck either wading blindly into a binding, or wading blindly hoping to preserve existence, neither is a particularly appealing option. Now- I'm willing to grant Gus a more than fair amount of leeway, thus why I said I'll agree, but exactly what I'll agree too, remains to be seen. I'm not giving my my soul- frankly not even for the sake of saving the world- I'll find another way, simply because there's no way to verify him holding up the deal as such, and I'm not signing anything in any language I can't read- which there aren't many thanks to my crazy tutor."

Aric got up and looked around for other fluids around the table... tea, tea, milk, creme... he scowled and walked back to the chair and sat. "But I will allow him to cut out any number of perks for himself that don't include the world ending anyway; for the ability to have a proper chance of saving the world."

Aric fumbled around the inner pockets of his jacket until he fished out a deck of cards. Playing solitaire in the only form he knew of which didn't need a table, he sat back, "So, frankly we don't have the information to make a proper decision, and the tentative decision I have made is based on the assumption we'll get at least another half-truth or two and probably a contract the size of an encyclopaedia set to read and sign. Unless any of you can conjure information from the aether- which I might normally be able to do anywhere other than here- might as well sip your tea and wait for him to think we've stewed and fought enough."

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueKnightGuy

Roberts laid a hand on Sariel's shoulder. It was a funny disjunction, his body and his face: for while the face remained as impartial as before , even friendly, it looked painted on now next to a body which screamed with hatred and murder. Roberts had become so rigid, I doubt a sword of divine light basking in a sheath of flames could have nicked him in that moment. It took him a great deal of conscious effort not to turn to aggression right then.

The interaction was short. Roberts patted Sariel twice, and moved on.

Spoiler
    Show

My gods...
    My gods...
    Where are they...
    I'm lost...
    I miss you...
    Where are you...

What have you done with them?

"I get to kill Angels," Roberts clarified to Aric.
    "That's all the information I need.

"Gusion. I'm ready."
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2013-03-19 at 11:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sariel opened his mouth to respond to the college kid when Roberts held his shoulder and started putting off the 'throw down' vibe. Instinctively, he took a step to square off, fists clenched, and his eyes began to crackle with an energy. As soon as Roberts patted him and moved on, he stared for a moment, then unclenched his hands, shaking his head. What the f*&k was that about? F*&king freak ...

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope I'm reading it right, but basically Roberts was displaying his absolute HATRED for all things celestial to Sariel ... right?

Had to read it a couple of times, so let me know if I missed the boat
    Last edited by Starbin; 2013-03-19 at 01:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Starbin, I believe you read it correctly, but Devilfish can confirm.

When Gusion pops back into a state of being, it is faster than even inhuman eyes can follow. And he does it with a little theatrical whomph, as the space surrounding him 'bends in', ever so slightly. You decide that it's a most curious, and somewhat intimidating effect. Perhaps even more interesting, however, is the fact that he isn't alone. To his right is Leila, with whom you have grown familiar in a ridiculously distant, ice cold sort of way. But to his left is a new figure. Very large, very black and heavily dreadlocked. He isn't 'Wesley Snipes' black; this guy is as ebony as could be. The brilliant white smile that shines on his face, though, is both disarming and somewhat disconcerting. Set next to his all-velour, all-green get-up, though, even that smile fades in comparison.

Gusion giggles, 'I trust you have all had a bit of a chance to deliberate. Good, good. Your decision, always. It has to be your decision. But I'm being rude.' He gestures to his left.

'This is Leraje. Leraje, these are the ones. They're supposed to... save the world! If I sound like I'm joking, forgive me. We live in tense, beautiful, rigid times. Everything is in flux, but it's also set. I wonder. I wonder... why am I digressing? Leraje is one of my closest associates. He is here to help. In fact, he will assist you, in the times to come.'

Gusion starts pacing.

'Some of you still carry your doubt on your sleeve. I can smell it. We terrifying baboon demons have a great nose for these things. And why wouldn't you? Here I am, pulling you out of the world of men and into a world of beings who treat men as contrivances to be exploited. And with nary an explanation. So sit, children. Sit. Or don't. Standing is sometimes preferable. Good for the joints and musculature. I digress again.'

He unrolls an absolutely humongous piece of parchment from... somewhere. You can't really tell where it came from, it just sort of appears. He turns it toward you.

'This is your contract. It's very long, and written in blood. Slightly, well, demonic blood - no two ways about it. Anyway, I understand your apprehension: you are being contracted to perform an unknown task for an unknown contractor. In some ways, I pity you. In others, well, not so much. After all, you can always refuse. But, before you do, let Gusion tell you what he knows for a set of facts... In the first instance, and right now, a vampire cult has a hit out on each and every one of you. They call themselves the Pact of St. Vincius. Now, if you haven't heard of a St. Vincius, fret not. He's no saint. Not anymore, anyway. He's also long, long passed.'

Gusion smiles at Leraje blithely.

'The vampires issued the hit a few hours before we managed to get to you. What joyous luck! We didn't lose a single one of you to the blood suckers. Do you not see the hand of providence at work? Now, in the second instance, the Pact of St. Vincius is connected to what's coming. We're not sure how, but we know they are. We know it. And, in the third instance, the reason it's you and not somebody or something else is simple, and I will now tell it to you straight, because your decision should be appropriately informed: one of you... has a very special connection with what's coming. Deep inside you, something is hidden. Salvation, I should hope. And you're most likely completely ignorant of the fact. Which one of you it is... we can't tell. You are connected, the eight of you. Not by kinship, or circumstance, but by a universal quirk that's tough to explain, even for wise Gusion. Suffice it to say, we'd rather take no chances. In the final instance, I cannot tell you what your task will be. If you should refuse, that is knowledge you cannot have, under any circumstances. It's a danger beyond reckoning.'

Gusion sighs deeply.

'So... here we are, at the crux of the matter. I ask you: sign the contract. Do what must be done. And help me. Help me help you - all of you. I won't lie, this contract is binding. After you sign it, I'll always know where you are. There are ways of ensuring you don't do stupid things, through this agreement. But it's this, or a smorgasbord of celestials and others after your skins, one way or another. I can offer you the opportunity to affect real, honest change. To make a difference. It's not the same thing as survival. But know I cannot force you into anything. If you are the key, then you must perform your function of your own accord. I will not keep you holed up here against your will, to protect you from the vampires and their assassins. That would defeat your purpose. I won't even intercede, if you should be in mortal peril. That's not my place. I hope, now, you make the correct decision. I have told you all I can. Believe, or do not believe, the choice is yours.'

He stands with astonishing grace for a baboon, laying the contract flat on a table-from-nowhere-that's-suddenly-there, 'I have to say goodbye, for now. Leraje will take care of those who sign. Leila will take back those who don't. In this time of troubles, I bid you all good fortune and... godspeed. May we see each other again.'

Before your next blink, he's gone.
    The secret of being a bore is to tell everything.

Pax Respublica: An Exercise in World Building

23. - Top - End - #83

Aric frowns as he rises, "Now to the final questions," he mutters to himself as he get up to pick up the contract. He takes great care to read it, taking it back to his chair, no pen, no hint of wanting anything more than reading it for the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I get at least an estimate on what the contract says? maybe some kind of roll if needed to detect any sort of subtle trickery in the language?

More importantly what language is it in?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ed watches Aric pick up the contract - he suspected that it would be wise to read through it before signing a literal deal with a devil, but the sheer size of it was intimidating.

Heh... anyone else find it funny listening to a demonic baboon talk about providence?

25. - Top - End - #85

BlueKnightGuy

The magician began examining the contract, and Roberts would admit him the wiser for it. In another time, ‘Roberts’ was called wise. He was called calculating. In another time…

But this had to be done.

The air flapped in turbulence as Roberts wrapped on the trench coat once more, erecting himself as a specter of the man he once was- face void of humanity and glasses bright as torchlights. His walk turned to a slow gait that was perfect for a cutthroat that would haunt you in the night, with echoing footsteps only to create none. He advanced upon Nicole and Hannah, hands in pockets, and without utterance of a single sound, stopped to behold them for a long moment.

"I need a favor, when this is over" he spoke most genuinely.
    "I need your help."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I wonder if Hannah can "see" me?

26. - Top - End - #86

Nicole looks up at the stranger above her.

Everyone seems to need help today. What's your deal?

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

27. - Top - End - #87

BlueKnightGuy

Roberts' glanced briefly towards the of demons in the room. You may not have caught it, had you not been looking at him directly.

"Would you and Hannah care for dinner?

((Seems someone's awfully tight-lipped in present company!))
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2013-03-20 at 09:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hannah would need to indicate she's trying to read Roberts, Devilfish. As far as I'm concerned, her abilities are targeted, rather than general, but Raunchel can elaborate IC or OOC.
    The secret of being a bore is to tell everything.

Pax Respublica: An Exercise in World Building

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

The Doctor hopped forward cheerfully, handing his cup of tea and plate to Ed and putting on some reading glasses as he looked over Aric's shoulder. He could read most any text, as long as it was written in a language that existed in time itself, and he always had been known as a speed reader. This should be easy enough to finish, and two pairs of eyes could catch all the loopholes and pitfalls better than one, as that one human always said. What an annoying fellow he must be, to never say anything but "Two pairs of eyes could catch loopholes and pitfalls better than one." Very few people would have invited him to parties, really. It would be a rather shameful affair. "Does anyone have a pencil, pen, ink well and quill, piece of coal or some other writing instrument? I would like to mark the things that bother me about this and traps that we would be walking into."

30. - Top - End - #90

this time stephen almost manages to get off a question before gusion disappears again.

ah well, next time. as aric takes the contract away with him stephen finds himself wandering up behind the wizard to stare over his shoulder. despite his bluster earlier of leaving, stephen's not actually sure whether he intend's to sign or not.

on one hand he's looking at a contract with a demon, which, on the surface, already indicated that they would be under constant surveillance and that gusion (or whoever he served) would have a degree of control over their actions. then, of corse, there's all the extra little details that are no doubt hidden in the fine print. all in all it's probably not worth it.

on the other hand, however, gusion seems intent to split those who sign and those who don't. stephen has survived purges before, but he's never been the centre of attention. solo survival would be tricky at best. then of corse there's the issue that whatever chose him and the others to "save the world" obviously know quite a bit about them. how much is a question he would dearly like an answer to. and stephen didn't even know what he stated to gain from the contract, only what gus did. guess we'll know soon enough

his little monolog done stephen stares down at the article. he speaks a fair few languages himself, after all. six eyes better than four

OCC
    Spoiler
    Show
    sorry if this is a bit sloppy, i'll clean it up later.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2013-03-21 at 08:31 PM.